Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Sentient Data posted:

Since the hash is pseudorandom, there's no simple algorithm to figure out what the nonce should be, so they bash their collective heads against the wall trying (millions? Billions?)

At a hash rate of 50,000,000 tera-hashes per second, and 15 minutes per block, we're looking at 45 sextillion hashes per block.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That's the most sex a bitcoiner is ever gonna get

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
drat, I thought I might be a couple orders of magnitude short, but they're playing a guessing game on a scale that human brains literally cannot comprehend

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

bird with big dick posted:

Isn’t there a way to take my vanguard 401k and make it a self directed 401k and then I can put it into BTC? Thinking of putting 60-75% of my 401k into BTC to ride it back up to 20k and then I’ll cash out and put it back into Vanguard.
Depending on your employer terms you may not be able to withdraw anything except in demonstrated periods of hardship.

So you've got a couple options. You can quit your job and get on personal 401k terms which let's you withdraw to somewhere to get into the coins. This will be fine because of the lambo money.

You can also short your 401k by taking a loan out against it. The interest on it will be ok because of the lambo money, and by the time to repay there will be coin funds in the 401k so you cash out your fake short back into the fund in time to put it right back into coins while the stock market is dead.

Actually on second thought probably shouldn't do any of this.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Moddington posted:

At a hash rate of 50,000,000 tera-hashes per second, and 15 minutes per block, we're looking at 45 sextillion hashes per block.

45 sextillion of hash and the price STILL don't get high

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Ripoff posted:

Lmao people are paying big bucks for the equivalent of a used car run at redline for several months.

Nah, GPUs degrade differently than a car. From what I understand a used GPU used for mining is better than one used for gaming because staying at a constant load instead of tons of up and downs is less bad due to the expansion/contraction of the GPU components as it heats up then cools down.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

That's only one aspect. Running at high temperature for long periods of time accelerates silicon wearout hugely (it's how manufacturers test longevity in a short timeframe)

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Sentient Data posted:

drat, I thought I might be a couple orders of magnitude short, but they're playing a guessing game on a scale that human brains literally cannot comprehend

Yes, and somehow this method is supposed to be more efficient than a centralized transaction processor. The creator if bitcoin never got to the point of scaling problem and arms race scenario before internet libertatian snatched it and declared it the new holy bible.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

D-Pad posted:

Nah, GPUs degrade differently than a car. From what I understand a used GPU used for mining is better than one used for gaming because staying at a constant load instead of tons of up and downs is less bad due to the expansion/contraction of the GPU components as it heats up then cools down.

lol did the person telling you this also have any bridges to sell

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Spatial posted:

That's only one aspect. Running at high temperature for long periods of time accelerates silicon wearout hugely (it's how manufacturers test longevity in a short timeframe)

Sure, but the economics are in favour of undervolting when GPU mining, so are they running all that hot?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

ilmucche posted:

They made drat good money on that.

What's the actual equation bitcoin solves? Like i know it has something to do with trailing or leading zeroes, but how do the miners know that 000013482 is correct, while 000013481 isn't?
if both of them meet the difficulty requirement then whichever one is sent first (or if the race has ever been close to a tie then whichever one was accepted by 51% of miners first) wins the block

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

QuarkJets posted:

lol did the person telling you this also have any bridges to sell

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
GPUs ...are a lot like incandescent light bulbs :hmmyes:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What are people using GPUs to mine for still? Are they still useful for Ethereum or is it all just random shitcoins?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

klafbang posted:

Don't invest 60-75%. Only 50% should go into bitcoin. The rest you want to put into riskier (and higher-yielding) shitcoins.

They put an awful lot of faith in capitalisation, don't they?

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

I preferred the bitcoin investment advice chart that added up to over 100, but that one isn’t bad either

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

bird with big dick posted:

Isn’t there a way to take my vanguard 401k and make it a self directed 401k and then I can put it into BTC? Thinking of putting 60-75% of my 401k into BTC to ride it back up to 20k and then I’ll cash out and put it back into Vanguard.

“Ride it back up to 20k” :holymoley: hope you’re a very young goon!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What are people using GPUs to mine for still? Are they still useful for Ethereum or is it all just random shitcoins?

The later. It was all the also me coins where there was no chance of special hardware being made. They even had a program that would ""mine"" the coin selling for the most VS it's difficulty out of the idk 100 available.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

shitcoins, ethereum became dominated by asics like a year ago

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Eth is also down like 90% from January. lol

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, but what about eth core gold plus?

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

D-Pad posted:

Riiiight. Just like a used car with lots of "highway miles" is somehow different than a used car with "city miles". Got it.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

tango alpha delta posted:

Riiiight. Just like a used car with lots of "highway miles" is somehow different than a used car with "city miles". Got it.

Well, it is.

The is a difference between being stuck in one gear for thousands of miles and constantly changing every day.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Tsietisin posted:

The is a difference between being stuck in one gear for thousands of miles and constantly changing every day.

FOR SALE - VIDEO CARD - ONLY EVER USED BY LITTLE OLD LADY TO PLAY MINESWEEPER ON SUNDAYS - TOTALLY NOT USED FOR CRYPTO MINING SWER ON ME MUM - PLEASE IGNORE CHARRED BITS AND BURNING SMELL - NO RETURNS

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Remember the good ol' days of bitcoin mining, before the gigantic Chinese warehouses full of ASICs :allears:

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

Remember the good ol' days of bitcoin mining, before the gigantic Chinese warehouses full of ASICs :allears:

Not nearly enough hot glue, LED fans pointed at mining USB dongles.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

It's called CryptoCobain because you will want to murder yourself with a shotgun after a while

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
https://twitter.com/APompliano/status/1068518602607800320

Fuckin lol

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
twitter's fundamentals are strengthening, just look at the number of new users during 2016!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Another newbie tip: new wallets are typically created for each transaction (old wallet is emptied, coins go to target, specified change goes to a new wallet, the leftover goes to the miner as fees), they aren't a representation of be users. If you wanted to see new users making new transactions (while retaining old users making transactions), the curve should be exponential not linear

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I remember when bitcoin was supposed to be an alternative currency so you could own the fed

instead it became a broken get rich quick scheme that is dependent on actual money for its value

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Is this a raw count of the number of wallets, a number that cannot possibly decrease? If so it might make the perfect currency.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I'm the healthy, logarithmic blockchain.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Don't be fooled by the decrease in sales, the fundamentals of disco are still strong. Never before have there been this many people who have heard disco as there are today.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

“Price is only one measurement of value for an asset. While it is important, it is not an important measurement of future value. The underlying fundamentals for the Bitcoin blockchain appear to be growing stronger despite the decline in the current price.

Don’t be distracted by the noise. Focus on the fundamentals. Bitcoin isn’t going anywhere.”

His last sentence is a hilarious own goal.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

zedprime posted:

Depending on your employer terms you may not be able to withdraw anything except in demonstrated periods of hardship.

So you've got a couple options. You can quit your job and get on personal 401k terms which let's you withdraw to somewhere to get into the coins. This will be fine because of the lambo money.

You can also short your 401k by taking a loan out against it. The interest on it will be ok because of the lambo money, and by the time to repay there will be coin funds in the 401k so you cash out your fake short back into the fund in time to put it right back into coins while the stock market is dead.

Actually on second thought probably shouldn't do any of this.

i disagree he should do the second option. Just take out a small loan in your 401k and once you’ve sold your coins for a profit, you can put it back in and be ahead just before the stocks rise again

It’s win win, you’ll be making money off of bitcoin and then depositing it to make even more money off the stock market and who knows maybe you’ll learn more about this new currency and have some fun in the process

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Isn't it a pretty bad sign that the Chinese miners are just straight dumping their hardware instead of just shutting it off for a while to weather what they're claiming is a slump? Like what do they know?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Back to WoW gold farming I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Where do you guys keep the funny pictures of the Japanese man who claimed to be Darth Satoshi the Wise?