Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hotfix worked for me, and PTR is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Try this beta, sorry team.

ratbert90 posted:

The scrolling also seems to be choppy, like a rogue thread or something in the background is hogging resources. Latest iOS.

Is it just when you’re at the bottom, like right after you tap "scroll to end"? Or do you get the chops throughout the page?

edit:

Subjunctive posted:

Hotfix worked for me, and PTR is good.

drat you’re fast :toot:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

pokeyman posted:

Try this beta, sorry team.

Is it just when you’re at the bottom, like right after you tap "scroll to end"? Or do you get the chops throughout the page?

edit:

drat you’re fast :toot:

Hotfix also worked for me. It was chops in the bookmarks page.

Edit* chop still exists while scrolling on the bookmark page.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 25, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Re: scroll for next page, the current behavior using the app store version of the app on a 2018 ipad pro 11 is really good, I'm very happy with it. Earlier versions I'd go to the next page all the time before I was ready, sometimes when just whip-scrolling, so to speak. It's perfect now on my device. Just some positive feedback from me for once :v:

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

The toggle to not load images still doesn’t work. Also, this weird thing is happening: https://imgur.com/a/hWmpsF9

Rahonavis fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 26, 2018

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I use Awful with my iPad pro’s keyboard, tapping space to scroll. Sometimes when I use my finger to scroll, using the space bar afterwards doesn’t work properly: the screen jumps back and forth. Based on how it looks, I’d say that there’s some fling data from finger scrolling being applied even though the content has largely stopped moving.

I’m an Android developer, not iOS, but the way I’d describe it is that the scroll view should be resetting its fling data, once the view has stopped moving and has ‘settled’.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Feature request: access to the "users browsing" feature of the forums

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Using Awful on an iPhone XR I can’t use my finger to view spoilered text anymore, I have to copy and paste into notes.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
You can quote posts as a shorter workaround

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

bad day posted:

Using Awful on an iPhone XR I can’t use my finger to view spoilered text anymore, I have to copy and paste into notes.

Oddly enough that was the case for me as well and then just today it started working (on my XR) so yep.

I didn't notice an update.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Twitter embeds are loading reliably now which is super cool

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

I also noticed gifs are animating while scrolling!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spanky the dolphin posted:

I also noticed gifs are animating while scrolling!

This is surprising to me, but yay!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I’m also having pictures loading even though I have it set not to.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

spanky the dolphin posted:

I think the pull to refresh feels good. Is it the same as it used to be?

With 40 posts, pulling up to go to next page feels a little higher than I like on my X, but there's no false positives, so I'm cool with it. Before, I was just setting it off all the time.
Is the pull up threshold code shared between pull to check for new posts and pull to next page?
I never pull up to see if there's new posts, which maybe is why I don't get bothered by that presumably higher pull distance.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Okay, I’m ready for the spoiler text bug to be fixed now.

(Totally kidding, I know y’all are working on it but +1’ing it on the list anyway!)

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I mentioned the spoilers text issue on a previous page and then I said it fixed when I reinstalled. It's broken again. I'm buying time at the hospital so I might just reinstall and then screen record and see if I can reproduce it breaking? Where should I send this recording?

Edit: I reinstalled and spoilers are fixed again. I screen recorded for a bit but couldn't break then again. Quite strange.

GenericGirlName fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 30, 2018

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pokeyman, can you just re-release the build 2 releases ago? I'm trying to save a gif and in 3 app kill/relaunches it's failed 3 different ways

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
One thing I’ve noticed WRT the pull for next page distance issue is that if there is only one post on the page the pull distance is noticeably shorter

In other words if I load a bookmarked thread with 13 pages and page 12 loads with only one unread post

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Lately some tap actions randomly stop working for me in this app. Tapping spoiler text doesn't reveal the text, and tapping people's avatars doesn't bring up the menu to check profile and rap sheet.

It's not always broken, the functionality seems to come and go and force closing the app doesn't fix it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tapping links to posts, such as quotes or someone’s rap sheet, navigates to a blank page (iPhone 7+, latest iOS)

E: this is an intermittent issue

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Feature request, diagonal banner across the top left that says “lol look at this dumb poo poo”

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Latest beta started crashing when I tap threads from the bookmark view, but not always. Haven’t figured out the pattern.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Hotfix also worked for me. It was chops in the bookmarks page.

Edit* chop still exists while scrolling on the bookmark page.

Yeah those are bugging me too. +1 on the list!

shortspecialbus posted:

Re: scroll for next page, the current behavior using the app store version of the app on a 2018 ipad pro 11 is really good, I'm very happy with it. Earlier versions I'd go to the next page all the time before I was ready, sometimes when just whip-scrolling, so to speak. It's perfect now on my device. Just some positive feedback from me for once :v:

Well good news: I'm loving with it for the next release! :toot: Thanks though, appreciate it. It should still fix the whip-scrolling thing.

Rahonavis posted:

The toggle to not load images still doesn’t work. Also, this weird thing is happening: https://imgur.com/a/hWmpsF9

Load images thing is fixed in the next update.

Do you remember what thread and page that weird thing was happening? I'm guessing the D&D political cartoons thread but that's a big thread. A rough guess is ok, I don't mind going on a lil safari.

Catalyst-proof posted:

I use Awful with my iPad pro’s keyboard, tapping space to scroll. Sometimes when I use my finger to scroll, using the space bar afterwards doesn’t work properly: the screen jumps back and forth. Based on how it looks, I’d say that there’s some fling data from finger scrolling being applied even though the content has largely stopped moving.

I’m an Android developer, not iOS, but the way I’d describe it is that the scroll view should be resetting its fling data, once the view has stopped moving and has ‘settled’.

That sounds unfun, I'll add it to the list! And since I now have a keyboard for my iPad, I'd say the odds of it getting fixed have gone up dramatically!

Crime on a Dime posted:

Feature request: access to the "users browsing" feature of the forums

No idea when it'll get implemented, but I'm trying to envision some UI for this. Maybe where the current (and frequently nonfunctional, I know) "filter tags" button is could become a lil row of buttons?

bad day posted:

syscall girl posted:

Oddly enough that was the case for me as well and then just today it started working (on my XR) so yep.

I didn't notice an update.

IllegallySober posted:

Okay, I’m ready for the spoiler text bug to be fixed now.

(Totally kidding, I know y’all are working on it but +1’ing it on the list anyway!)

GenericGirlName posted:

I mentioned the spoilers text issue on a previous page and then I said it fixed when I reinstalled. It's broken again. I'm buying time at the hospital so I might just reinstall and then screen record and see if I can reproduce it breaking? Where should I send this recording?

Edit: I reinstalled and spoilers are fixed again. I screen recorded for a bit but couldn't break then again. Quite strange.

jit bull transpile posted:

Lately some tap actions randomly stop working for me in this app. Tapping spoiler text doesn't reveal the text, and tapping people's avatars doesn't bring up the menu to check profile and rap sheet.

It's not always broken, the functionality seems to come and go and force closing the app doesn't fix it.

I'm still trying to figure out how to replicate this, and I'm still coming up empty, but I haven't forgotten about it!

If you manage to get a recording of it, PM me a link (or PM me for an email address to send to if that's easier).

kimbo305 posted:

Is the pull up threshold code shared between pull to check for new posts and pull to next page?
I never pull up to see if there's new posts, which maybe is why I don't get bothered by that presumably higher pull distance.

It's the same code yeah.

Regular Nintendo posted:

Pokeyman, can you just re-release the build 2 releases ago? I'm trying to save a gif and in 3 app kill/relaunches it's failed 3 different ways

Are you on the beta? You should be able to go to the TestFlight app and install an older version.

If you're on the App Store version: probably can't re-release that far back, we gotta get this WKWebView poo poo figured out, sorry. I know it sucks.

jesus WEP posted:

Tapping links to posts, such as quotes or someone’s rap sheet, navigates to a blank page (iPhone 7+, latest iOS)

E: this is an intermittent issue

I think this one's new to me, but I'll get into it!

Data Graham posted:

Feature request, diagonal banner across the top left that says “lol look at this dumb poo poo”

Well my standing policy is to try to implement what's on the site as faithfully as possible, so if it sticks around…

Subjunctive posted:

Latest beta started crashing when I tap threads from the bookmark view, but not always. Haven’t figured out the pattern.

Sorry about that. There's probably not a good pattern. I'm on it, but if it gets annoying may have to go back a build or two in TestFlight.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 13, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Sorry about that. There's probably not a good pattern. I'm on it, but if it gets annoying may have to go back a build or two in TestFlight.

Yeah, I went back one for now. I’ll watch for an update.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah latest beta in getting bookmark nav crashes again. Also noticed I can't hit the post settings button in the lower left.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Where do i go to get in on the beta

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

Where do i go to get in on the beta

Right here: https://testflight.apple.com/join/530cS7a7

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Data Graham posted:

This would rule. Maybe use take thread views over the last hour, then display any thread that’s spiking above some threshold. It’s either a glorious implosion or a good photoshop thread.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Hey the ignore feature is busted. LeJackal isn't an admin, dammit.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

LeJackal isn’t, but communism bitch is, and so long as communism bitch is still on your ignore list you can’t make any changes.

To be fair, that’s really something that Awful should handle for you. But in the meantime, if you edit your ignore list in your browser and swap out communism bitch for LeJackal you should be all set.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
Have a super annoying bug - seems to be impossible to log out and then log in with a different account - first, it will crash upon initial login attempt with second account. Then, sometimes I’m able to log in, other times, it will seemingly work, but it’s actually logged into the initial account, so posts end up on the wrong account if I don’t immediately notice.

When that happens, I can’t click on the settings inside awful, it crashes 100% of the time. So I have to uninstall and reinstall to switch accounts now :-(

E: iOS 12.1 on iPhone 7+

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

pokeyman posted:

No idea when it'll get implemented, but I'm
I'm still trying to figure out how to replicate this, and I'm still coming up empty, but I haven't forgotten about it!

If you manage to get a recording of it, PM me a link (or PM me for an email address to send to if that's easier).

I can’t get a recording of this when it’s happening and don’t seem to have a consistent fix (beyond rebooting the phone which fixes it ~80% of the time) but I strongly suspect it has something to do with returning to the app after a while when the app has kicked it from active memory. That re-load seems to be triggering the inability to click spoilers or the user menu for me.

Edit: Getting the app to re-load the same page seems to be toggling my ability to read spoilers/tap the user menu in both directions.

Referee fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 3, 2018

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

pokeyman posted:

Load images thing is fixed in the next update.

Do you remember what thread and page that weird thing was happening? I'm guessing the D&D political cartoons thread but that's a big thread. A rough guess is ok, I don't mind going on a lil safari.

Thank you! The weird loading problem can be seen in Johnnie Walker’s post on page 413 in the comic strip forum:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845300&perpage=40&pagenumber=413

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Just got my first Android phone (pixel 3) and have been using the Awful app; today I noticed some pages have red post backgrounds and some have black post backgrounds. Why does this occur and how can I make them all black? I'm using the dark theme.

E. Oops

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Dec 4, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fun Times! posted:

Just got my first Android phone (pixel 3) and have been using the Awful app; today I noticed some pages have red post backgrounds and some have black post backgrounds. Why does this occur and how can I make them all black? I'm using the dark theme.

You're in the wrong thread and also using the wrong phone

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
If it helps at all with the blank page upon coming back to the app, it seems to only happen when a network change occurs. Wifi to LTE or reverse.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

jit bull transpile posted:

You're in the wrong thread and also using the wrong phone

Geez I had my iPhone for so long I automatically check iOS labeled stuff. Beg pardon

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fun Times! posted:

Geez I had my iPhone for so long I automatically check iOS labeled stuff. Beg pardon

What happened to you to lead you to such a wrong decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fun Times! posted:

I'll pray that whatever possessed you to buy an android is exorcised soon