Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
now he's shown he's still got it, would love to see Fury go up against Anthony Joshua the Matchroom machine, if only for the press conferences

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Adonis Stevenson in critical condition in hospital

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/adonis-stevenson-quebec-city-1.4929317

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
For as disappointing as the outcome was, that was a really fun fight to watch. Full of drama and very exciting. Hope the rematch is as eventful (with a better ending)

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

Regardless of how one may feel about the latter stages of his career and (especially) his past you'd have to be pretty heartless to be one of those "lol the pimp deserved it" types. Hopefully he makes it through and can live the rest of his life as fully as possible.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
The home field advantage for American/Mexican fighters in Vegas vs foreigners has gotten so egregious that I understand why someone like Joshua would never ever fight wilder outside of the UK. It's embarrassing for the sport that every single big ppv has ended like this for several years running

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
All boxing matches must take place in Switzerland going forward.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's a good thing that the UK has no history of blatantly favouring home fighters.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

It's a good thing that the UK has no history of blatantly favouring home fighters.

Maybe that crazy private Saudi yacht fight is the best way to do it going forward

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The SituAsian posted:

Regardless of how one may feel about the latter stages of his career and (especially) his past you'd have to be pretty heartless to be one of those "lol the pimp deserved it" types. Hopefully he makes it through and can live the rest of his life as fully as possible.

I've been thinking about that today. I don't mean to suggest that he deserves it, but this might be an outcome of his ducking habits - he ended up in a fight that he would have lost 3 years ago, and has to face it 3 years older. I.e. the ducking creates a reverse-sandbag effect. That's how dudes get hurt. Had he just lost his belt instead of ducking, he would have been fighting a guy closer to his current level last night.

Anyway, he's in the ICU, and a trip to the ICU is pretty much always quality-of-life altering.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

CommonShore posted:

I've been thinking about that today. I don't mean to suggest that he deserves it, but this might be an outcome of his ducking habits - he ended up in a fight that he would have lost 3 years ago, and has to face it 3 years older. I.e. the ducking creates a reverse-sandbag effect. That's how dudes get hurt. Had he just lost his belt instead of ducking, he would have been fighting a guy closer to his current level last night.

Anyway, he's in the ICU, and a trip to the ICU is pretty much always quality-of-life altering.

That's fair. His stamina definitely fell off as he got older and Gvodzyk is a harder puncher than he gets credit for since he hadn't had a big stoppage for a few fights and he was blasting Stevenson with huge shots throughout the last 2 rounds.

EDIT: Unfortunately it does appear that this might be a truly tragic Magomed/Pritchard Colon/Gerald McClellan type situation but there really wasn't anyone to blame for this. Adonis took a bunch of shots but there really wasn't a time to stop the fight until the last one and Michael Griffin properly ended it there. And then it seems that there wasn't much delay in getting treatment when things deteriorated and it's not like Gvozdyk used any dirty tactics or rabbit punched. Just a bunch of awful circumstances .

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 2, 2018

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I agree with Andre Ward, I think Fury should have been given the decision by a couple points, but a draw is very understandable. Two 10-8 rounds and two other rounds for Wilder get you to a draw. I didn't score the fight while I watched, but I could easily see Wilder winning a couple of the rounds when nobody did much of anything, especially the second round. Of course the card having Wilder winning outright without even needing the knockdowns was horrendous; that guy should never score a fight again. No card should have had Wilder winning. But ultimately I don't think a draw is an egregious robbery. This was not Lewis/Holyfield 1.

And despite the uncertainty of how the fight would go, it basically went exactly as expected in a way. Fury is obviously the much better boxer and proved it, Wilder is obviously a clumsy flailer with nuclear bombs in his hands and proved it. Let's either see an immediate rematch, or one of them fight Anthony Joshua. Anything else would be extremely disappointing.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Adonis is in stable condition

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

He’s still in a coma and may still die, or be a vegetable if he comes out. His career is for sure over even in the best case scenario.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Fury has now revealed why he held his tongue — and it wasn’t because he was content with the outcome.

“You know what it was?” Fury said. “I was telling my brothers and my family to keep quiet. Because there were about 10,000 travellers, Brits, that came from around the world (to attend the fight). They probably would have smashed this arena up if I’d instigated it. I mean to the floor. I just wanted to be an ambassador for my country and my people.”

On closer inspection, the scorecard was shown to be a farce as the officials failed to even add up one score correctly.

Canada’s Robert Tapper’s score was announced as 114-110 in Fury’s favour, even though his scores added up to 114-112.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Lid posted:

Fury has now revealed why he held his tongue — and it wasn’t because he was content with the outcome.

“You know what it was?” Fury said. “I was telling my brothers and my family to keep quiet. Because there were about 10,000 travellers, Brits, that came from around the world (to attend the fight). They probably would have smashed this arena up if I’d instigated it. I mean to the floor. I just wanted to be an ambassador for my country and my people.”

On closer inspection, the scorecard was shown to be a farce as the officials failed to even add up one score correctly.

Canada’s Robert Tapper’s score was announced as 114-110 in Fury’s favour, even though his scores added up to 114-112.

:vince:

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I’ll always remember Pacquiao/Marquez 1 ending in a draw because one judge “didn’t know” you could score a round wider than 10-7, and so scored the first round 10-7 instead of the correct 10-6 and everyone was just like “well nothing you can do about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯”.

Boxing’s scoring system and many other aspects of the sport remain a complete joke and are beyond in need of an overhaul.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

To be fair it's not like 114-112 has any meaningful difference to 114-110.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

He’s still in a coma and may still die, or be a vegetable if he comes out. His career is for sure over even in the best case scenario.

Yeah no poo poo. I just figured people might want an update since last we heard he was in critical condition. If he's lucky he'll wake up and be able to live relatively normally like Nick Blackwell. Otherwise we're looking at a Prichard Colon situation or worse.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I’ll always remember Pacquiao/Marquez 1 ending in a draw because one judge “didn’t know” you could score a round wider than 10-7, and so scored the first round 10-7 instead of the correct 10-6 and everyone was just like “well nothing you can do about it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯”.

Boxing’s scoring system and many other aspects of the sport remain a complete joke and are beyond in need of an overhaul.

everything should be Pride scoring

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Mechafunkzilla posted:

everything should be Pride scoring

I don't even remember Pride scoring now :(

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

willie_dee posted:

I don't even remember Pride scoring now :(

If it goes to time you ask Matt Hume who won

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I've always hated how a feeling out round in the 1st where nothing happens carries the same weight as complete domination without a knockdown in a later round. However there's no way to change that without encouraging more 10-10 rounds, which would increase the scope for corruption.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Are there any sites like fightmetric for boxing? I'd really love to see a round-by-round breakdown of the fight.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Have they ever considered adding more judges to big fights? One hosed up card in a 3-judge panel has a huge impact.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Stevenson update - doesn't say much that the BBC link above doesn't, but it specifies that the coma he's in is medically-induced, and the doctors seem optimistic:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/adonis-stevenson-quebec-city-1.4929317

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

khan vs crawford apparently might be happening which just goes to confirm that the reason khan vs brook won't happen until it is completely meaningless is because khan knows he can lose as many times he likes against the top fighters and the brook fight will be there but when he loses to brook it's over for him

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think he just personally dislikes Brook and refuses to give him the payday

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Damnit Top Rank pulled the okie-doke with Luis Collazo now we're supposed to be happy with Crawford fighting Khan?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

To be fair, I find the idea of Crawford fighting Khan quite fun

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Amir Khan has got to be the dumbest guy in boxing by a mile, or just has a death-wish. Fighting Terence Crawford at this point in his career is suicide, just as fighting Canelo at middleweight was.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Bud is gonna gently caress him up

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Skip My Posts posted:

Bud is gonna gently caress him up

i wish bud would fight a competent ww. i don't blame anyone for taking a khan fight, you get roughly a million dollars and a guaranteed brutal knockout to add to your hype reel, but it feels like a waste.

ah whatever he's 28. he's got some miles left.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
You’re right but it’s boxing so whateva I’ll take it

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
yet another Crawford soft touch

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Who doesn't like seeing amir khan getting knocked out?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Adonis Stevenson suffered a "severe traumatic brain injury", has had brain surgery, and is on a ventilator.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/adonis-stevenson-medical-update-1.4933157

Not really looking very good for him.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 5, 2018

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So it goes.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Oh hey Lomachenko is fighting this weekend. Neat.

Looks like again it's on regular ESPN and not ESPN+ even though the undercard is on ESPN+.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHUUF3Ju8Qo

Mayweather fight promo from Rizin

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
KSI is now feuding with his brother Deji so they will probably end up having a boxing match

Edit: Speaking of clown fights the rules are set for Mayweather-Tenshin. Boxing 'exhibition' at the welterweight limit for three rounds with 8 ounce gloves. No judges.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/12/6/18130154/rizin-reveals-ruleset-for-mayweather-nasukawa

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Kell Brook winning the fight but getting hit quite a bit by Michael 'The Austrailian stripper who was sent to hell by Peter Quillin' Zerafa.