Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Hockles posted:

So, he wanted the movie to end like Return of the Jedi and Happy Gilmore?

Between this and the "Gladiator II is resurrected Russell Crowe as a god of war fighting through all of history's wars" I'd love to see all the crazy ideas that Hollywood could come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It watch the poo poo out of that

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

It's a shame Nick Cave's Gladiator II will never happen. Though he did write the screenplay for the remake of The Crow coming out next year, which has made me actually interested in it again after so many terrible sequels.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MichiganCubbie posted:

Between this and the "Gladiator II is resurrected Russell Crowe as a god of war fighting through all of history's wars" I'd love to see all the crazy ideas that Hollywood could come up with.

This is good but not as good as Ridley Scott’s “Jesus Christ was actually an Engineer” take for Prometheus

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is good but not as good as Ridley Scott’s “Jesus Christ was actually an Engineer” take for Prometheus

Well he was a 30 year old virgin.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

MichiganCubbie posted:

I just watched a youtube that went over the Avengers movie we almost got in the 70s -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGKPu8_38uo
To shortcut it, Dazzler, leading the (then) Avengers (plus Spider-man) in a three way battle in Fantasy Apocalypse New York against Donna Summer and the Village people against Cher and KISS. Rodney Dangerfield was being tossed around to play the villain - Evil Triplet Lawyers and Robin Williams was going to be playing basically Hoggle from Labyrinth, tricking Dazzler into fighting this war, but turning against his masters out of love for her.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

CzarChasm posted:

I just watched a youtube that went over the Avengers movie we almost got in the 70s -

To shortcut it, Dazzler, leading the (then) Avengers (plus Spider-man) in a three way battle in Fantasy Apocalypse New York against Donna Summer and the Village people against Cher and KISS. Rodney Dangerfield was being tossed around to play the villain - Evil Triplet Lawyers and Robin Williams was going to be playing basically Hoggle from Labyrinth, tricking Dazzler into fighting this war, but turning against his masters out of love for her.

Please don’t tease me like that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Quote-Unquote posted:

It's a shame Nick Cave's Gladiator II will never happen. Though he did write the screenplay for the remake of The Crow coming out next year, which has made me actually interested in it again after so many terrible sequels.

There's no way that Crow movie is coming out. It has been in production hell for years and every time they get somebody they eventually leave because there's no movement on the production.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yeah this is some Jodorowsky's Dune stuff

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just got around to watching I Kill Giants on Netflix. I like that they don't skimp on the effects when she is shown dealing with them, and finally seeing the Warhammer when fighting the Titan is awesome. It has a very strong sense of mythology as well, although it's vague whether her behaviour is being shown literally or whether she's just seeking out storms to be self destructive/help her forget about her mother's condition. It seems like kind of both.

I particularly like this early scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuDxcgbtV6U

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Watching The Expanse, and I really love the designs and art direction for the show.

One example, there's a tattoo that a bunch of spacers have on their neck, that in one of the later episodes the guy mentions that particular pattern is how the old space helmets used to burn you. It's a toss away detail about a scar and a tattoo but I love that they thought enough to include it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like how characters like Naomi and MIller change their native accents to fit in

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I love how everything is oriented vertically on ships so they don't need magic future gravity generators and use thrust for weight.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Bohemian Rhapsody is a great, fun movie that critics are kinda "meh" about but audiences love, a perfect reflection of how pretty much everything Queen did was received.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Bohemian Rhapsody was loving amazing what the hell are critics thinking?! loving wankers.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Queen Combat posted:

Bohemian Rhapsody was loving amazing what the hell are critics thinking?! loving wankers.

Your name...

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Queen Combat posted:

calm down dude

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
They did cut out the AIDS stuff.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Anything that wasn't a musical performance or a scene about the creation of music in Bohemian Rhapsody was extremely boring.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

CzarChasm posted:

I believe he even says it in this video, but I was already thinking it by the time he laid out the pitch: cocaine is a hell of a drug.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It also completely made up Mercury breaking the band up and having to grovel to Brian May and Roger Taylor to go perform Live Aid, none of which happened.

I'm sure Brian May and Roger Taylor being executive producers on the movie and coming out of it smelling like a rose is purely coincidence.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

packetmantis posted:

So realistically Compton is the better movie. It usually is.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

packetmantis posted:

1) No they didn't.
2) If you want to get really accurate about it, they should have cut the AIDS stuff given Freddie wasn't diagnosed til two years after the film ended.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!
But they did cast Mike Myers as the record exec who tries to argue against releasing Bohemian Rhapsody as a single, because they want a single that kids will play in their car driving down the freeway, and Bohemian Rhapsody can't be that.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Cleretic posted:

But they did cast Mike Myers as the record exec who tries to argue against releasing Bohemian Rhapsody as a single, because they want a single that kids will play in their car driving down the freeway, and Bohemian Rhapsody can't be that.

Yeah,they created a role for that joke, and to make an antagonist, because EMI's chief actually loved Queen and felt bad about Bohemian Rhapsody being too long for a single, but he was trying to be realistic about it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Best scene in Bohemian Rhapsody was Freddy playing an emotional ballad on the piano and Paul asking what it was called, but I had seen Spinal Tap only the day before.

Second best was "without us you'd still be a baggage handler" "yeah well without me you'd be an astrophysicist, a dentist and an engineer"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I loved the unintentional joke that seemed to indicate that Live Aid was failing to raise $1 Million, until Queen took the stage. It's like a bad teen sitcom where they have to save the rec plex with the Talent Show and the last act to go on wins all the money.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I really have a hard time putting my finger on why the retroactive millennial Freddie Mercury worship bugs me. You see lots of teenagers online tripping over themselves to proclaim how much their peers' music sucks and how Queen was "real music". Freddie was a fabulous frontman and a very entertaining and supremely talented singer. Queen were a fun band. But they were neither particularly original nor substantive. There's a place for that, but the kids who worship them don't seem to also appreciate any other classic music. Just Queen.

The criteria that would rate Queen the best band ever seem to dovetail significantly with the values of a generation who grew up on American Idol, X-Factor, America's Got Talent, etc. Showmanship and virtuosity and entertainment. Bread and circuses. A mile wide and an inch deep.

I dunno, I like "Don't Stop Me Now" and "Show Must Go On". They've got some great songs. But they're not in any way better, to me, than T. Rex, David Bowie, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, Talking Heads, or the Clash, or any number of other 60s-70s bands that aren't the subject of a million memes by the youths.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
I dunno man, that scene is Wayne's World is just so "iconic".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its mostly trickle down nostalgia with things like Waynes World and the recent biopic and the fact freddie is a hot swarthy bi dude who died young thus being a good fit for this generations preferred icon of the past.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kramdar posted:

I dunno man, that scene is Wayne's World is just so "iconic".

Honestly it's really more about Highlander

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Imagined posted:

I really have a hard time putting my finger on why the retroactive millennial Freddie Mercury worship bugs me. You see lots of teenagers online tripping over themselves to proclaim how much their peers' music sucks and how Queen was "real music". Freddie was a fabulous frontman and a very entertaining and supremely talented singer. Queen were a fun band. But they were neither particularly original nor substantive. There's a place for that, but the kids who worship them don't seem to also appreciate any other classic music. Just Queen.

The criteria that would rate Queen the best band ever seem to dovetail significantly with the values of a generation who grew up on American Idol, X-Factor, America's Got Talent, etc. Showmanship and virtuosity and entertainment. Bread and circuses. A mile wide and an inch deep.

I dunno, I like "Don't Stop Me Now" and "Show Must Go On". They've got some great songs. But they're not in any way better, to me, than T. Rex, David Bowie, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, Talking Heads, or the Clash, or any number of other 60s-70s bands that aren't the subject of a million memes by the youths.

Great choices btw. I don't get the Queen worship either but whatever. Someone somewhere commented about how their trick was doing songs the audience could chant/sing. I think part of it has to do with the more modern acceptance of homosexuality and a better understanding of AIDS so certain historical figures are seen in a fresh and more celebrated light.

Also there's an Elton John biopic being made too but the trailer didn't look too good.

As an old, I'm just encouraged whenever I see good music transcending generations like this. Gives me hope. I'm at the stage where I hate anything new that isn't Buckethead and worry about what "the kids" are listening to so when I see a 21 year old wearing a Purple Rain t-shirt I feel good.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They were actually really good, hth. They weren't alone in that, I agree. But every musician I know says they're good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean, a lot of people like Queen, tho.

Im a Pink Floyd fan and consider them the greatest band that ever existed, even though I was born just a year before The Division Bell, so what do I know.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think it's Freddie's serous eyebrows. Eyebrows are in right now, just look at Emilia Clarke and whoever's playing devil-worshipping Sabrina.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Queen’s just fun. They had a good two decade run with Boomers, a 90’s revival with Gen-X, and now Millennials almost 30 years after that.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I can't think of a single modern song that has subject matter anywhere near as unusual as Bohemian Rhapsody.

I think there needs to be more songs that aren't just about the here and now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I can't think of a single modern song that has subject matter anywhere near as unusual as Bohemian Rhapsody.

Disco Duck was #1 song in 1976 and its about turning into a duck and deciding that shouldnt stop you from picking up chicks. Pop music is and has always been weird.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

I assume you mean fairly recent and popular? Otherwise you need to diversify your interests before filing this kind of complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Beachcomber posted:

Bohemian Rhapsody is about a murderer, his judgement and subsequent 'gently caress it'-ism. It's not actually that complicated a story and it's not really beloved because of it, it's much more about the instrumentation, spectacle, and some of the weird poo poo they did in recording it (they literally couldn't play it live in full, they usually did part of another song instead of the 'let him go' part).

I think part of it is also, honestly, hype and momentum. I love the song, and it deserves the praise it gets, but it gets its podium in large part because it already has that podium. It's a lot harder to score that spot in the first place even if you do just write something that huge and crazy.