Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Let’s make friends with the werecubs. Follow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

These dirty, weird-looking kids know more about this maze than you do. “I’ll go with you guys,” you decide.

“Fine,” Cammie replies. “Follow us.”

They lead you quickly through the maze. You’re more lost than ever, now.

They yank you back when you reach a doorway. Jack raises a finger to his lips – the “be quiet” sign. You don’t understand why. It sounds as if somebody is using a chain saw on the other side.

But as you tiptoe through, you find the noise doesn’t come from a machine. It comes from a pile of bandages on the floor.

No, wait. Those bandages are wrapped around a body.

Eek! A mummy!

And the mummy isn’t dead – it’s snoring!

Jack steps right over the sleeping creature. So does Cammie. They both beckon to you. The mummy makes weird gargling noises as you go to step over it. You’re shaking so badly, your toe pokes the creature right in the side.

The snores stop. Withered eyelids open. Dried-out eyes like black raisins glare up at you!

quote:

You leap straight into the air and zoom past Cammie and Jack. For the next few twists and turns through the maze, you lead the way. They finally catch up with you.

“Take it easy,” Jack pants. “Old Menes probably went right back to sleep.”

“Yeah,” Cammie adds. “After a couple of thousand years, he needs his rest.”

“That – that –“ you gasp. “That really was a mummy?”

Cammie nods. “The maze is full of old-time monsters. That’s why you have to –“

“Look out!” Jack suddenly yells.

You turn, just in time to see a figure leap from the top of the maze wall. All you see is a pair of blazing red eyes, flying toward you.

There’s barely time to raise an arm to protect yourself. The eyes are right on you. You feel hot breath on your face...

Then jaws clamp shut on your arm!

quote:

“A werewolf!” you shriek. “Help! It’s got me!”

Then you notice – your arm isn’t bleeding. It doesn’t even hurt.

The creature has no teeth!

Whining like an unhappy dog, the beast-man leaps away.

“You were lucky,” Cammie says. “If that had turned out to be the Frenzied Flesh-eater...” She shakes her head.

“The maze creatures are all from Milo’s horror comic,” Jack explains. “Frankenstein, Menes, Wolfie –“

“No way!” you burst out. “Those things don’t exist!”

“You saw them,” Jack insists. “It’s Milo’s magic.”

Jack and Cammie start walking again. You tag after them. “Wait! If Milo is magic, why didn’t he save his comic book? Why is he stuck running that dopey shop?” you demand.

You turn a corner and crash into your two guides. They’re frozen in the doorway of a big room. It’s full of kids – and facing them is...

“Milo the Mutant!” you gasp.

He hasn’t spotted you. Should you jump him?

Or should you run?

To tackle Milo, go to PAGE 123.

If you'd rather get out of there, run off to PAGE 44.

And no, we never do see what this Frenzied Flesh-eater is supposed to be. Unless it refers to one of the other maze monsters we don't encounter on this path...

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 0/4

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Let's get out of here, gang!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I like how that last question was ignored.

Run away!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Hastily attack the man, thereby revealing that actually this whole thing was just a themepark or something.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

Milo’s ears twitch. He begins to turn around.

He heard you!

“Everybody run!” you yell.

Jack and Cammie take off as if they’re training for the Olympics. You try your best to keep up. You can’t let them out of your sight, or you’ll be totally lost.

Your lungs are burning by the time your new friends stop. “Where are we?” Jack asks.

Cammie stares. “What do you mean? I thought you were keeping track of our route!”

They begin to argue. Great! Now you’re all lost!

Jack suddenly breaks off and stares at the wall. He points. “Look!”

Both Jack and Cammie turn pale.

You glance at the symbol scratched into the plywood beside the doorway. A capital “D.”

“What does it mean?” you ask.

“’D’ stands for danger,” Cammie whispers. She looks scared. “It means we’ve reached the Danger Zone!”

quote:

“What’s the Danger Zone?” you ask. “And how could it be worse than a maze full of monsters?”

Jack only shakes his head. “No one knows,” he replies. “Nobody’s ever come out to tell us.”

Yikes! You shiver. “So how do we get out?”

“I bet we aren’t in it yet,” Cammie argues. “After all, somebody marked this doorway with the sign.” She taps the scratched D. “That must mean that it leads into the Danger Zone, and we should stay away.”

Jack peeks around the doorway. “Hey!” he bursts out. “There’s a mark on the other side of the door too. That means that this side leads to the Danger Zone too.”

Jack and Cammie begin to argue again.

Sighing, you lean back against the plywood wall to rest your feet.

But when your shoulders hit the wood, the panel suddenly gives under your weight! It twirls around like a revolving door and dumps you on the other side!

quote:

You pound against the trick panel. It doesn’t budge! “Jack! Cammie!” you yell. “What’s going on?”

They shout back, “We’ve never seen a wall like that before.”

In spite of everything you do, the wooden panel stays stuck.

“Just keep going,” Cammie calls to you. “Sooner or later, the maze must come together again.”

You go through the nearest door and into the hallway beyond, shouting to your friends. But after a few turns, their voices sound farther away. And then you can’t hear them at all.

Then you hit another big room. It’s different from anything else you’ve seen in the maze. The floor is covered by a puddle, yards wide. There’s just a little bit of dry space by the walls. “What is that stuff?” you mutter. It looks like black ink!

Hearing your name called, you look up. There’s a doorway at the other side of the room. And there are Jack and Cammie!

“Come on!” Jack cries. “Let’s get out of here!”

You could walk through the gloppy puddle. Or maybe you should try to edge around it, hugging the walls.

If you walk straight through, go to PAGE 21.

If you try going around, turn to PAGE 28.

I love choices like this one, because I get to watch everyone go full Vizzini as they try to puzzle out whether the right answer really is that obvious or if it's a trick.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Never getting involved in a land war in Asia is as simple as going around.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Walking through seems like a dumb choice, which makes me think we should walk through it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
gently caress it, let's go wading

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HIGHWAY
TO
THE
GO AROUND

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied, next vote takes it.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Walk right through it

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Junpei posted:

Walk right through it

You have chosen... wisely!

quote:

“I’m there!” you call, sloshing through the puddle. The mystery goo is barely an inch deep, but it gushes stickily under your shoes as you walk. Ugh!

“Let’s book,” you say the moment you reach your friends.

Whew! Okay, you’re still lost in the Danger Zone. But at least you’re all together again.

Keeping an eye out for traps, the three of you go onward. You’re starting to wonder about this Danger Zone, though. “So what’s so dangerous?” you ask Cammie and Jack.

Like an answer, a weird snuffling sound comes from the distance. You don’t know what it is. And you don’t want to know what makes it. You, Cammie, and Jack start walking faster.

But the noise behind you comes closer and closer.

“Is it sniffing out our trail?” you ask worriedly.

Cammie peers over her shoulder. “It doesn’t have to!”

Glancing back the way you came, you groan. Stretching behind you is a trail... of big gooey black footprints!

Thinking fast, you run to a doorway, leaving a clear trail. Then you kick off your shoes and toss them as far as you can!

“Quick. Go the other way!” you whisper.

quote:

All of you hurry on fearfully. The snuffly noise fades away. After several more twists and turns, you find a long, straight hallway. At the end are three openings.

“Watch out for traps,” Jack whispers. “I’ll take the left. Cammie gets the middle. You take the right.”

Sneaking down the hall, you peer through your doorway. Hey! This must be the storeroom for the comic shop upstairs. It’s packed with hundreds of boxes of comic books!

Then Cammie calls excitedly, “In here – quick!”

You and Jack join her in a room that’s very different from the rest of the maze. It has wallpaper and a rug. A reading lamp stands beside a big armchair. There’s a bed in the corner.

And there’s a full-length mirror in an old-fashioned frame against one wall. Cammie steps up to it – and the mirror begins to glow! She sticks out her hand.

It sinks right in!

“A magic mirror!” you cry. “Maybe it’s the way out!”

Cammie stands frozen in front of the mirror. Should you let her try to step through? Or will you push in first?

If you let Cammie go, turn to PAGE 118.

If you push ahead, try PAGE 78.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
None yet.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ladies first.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Let Cam go first.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Be a coward

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

“I’ll go first,” Cammie declares. She leans into the glowing mirror. Then she jumps back. “Whoa!”

A face has appeared in the mirror. Milo the Mutant!

“What are you doing in my room?” he yells.

“We’ve got to get away!” Cammie cries. She turns to you. “What was beyond your doorway?”

“Just a room,” you reply, “full of boxes of comics.”

“I didn’t get a chance to look through my door,” Jack complains. “You called me in here.”

You hurry to Jack’s doorway – and gasp. Stretching up to a trapdoor in the ceiling is a ladder. It’s made of dark wood, carved into twisting shapes – snakes, dragons, weirder creatures. It’s beautiful – but strange.

You step toward the ladder. It suddenly begins to glow red. Wind swirls around it, flinging you back. The glowing form shrinks down until it’s barely a foot tall!

Milo’s laughter echoes from the mirror next door. “That takes care of the magic ladder!” he cries. “Now I’ll start the spell to take care of *you!*”

You gawk helplessly at the trapdoor in the ceiling. If only you could get up there. So near, and yet so far!

quote:

Even if you climbed on each other’s shoulders, you wouldn’t make it up to the ceiling. But then you get an idea...

“Follow me!” you cry. Rushing to the storeroom, you pull on a box of comics. “We can use these to build a stairway!”

Jack and Cammie leap into action. You shift box after box, banging and crashing. These things are heavy!

“What’s that noise? What are you doing?” Milo yells from his mirror. “Am I going to have to come down there?”

You’re too busy to answer. You pile up a stairway of boxes. Jack and Cammie hold it steady as you scramble up.

The pile begins to shudder. As the cartons fall apart, you leap, clinging to the edge of the trapdoor. It takes all your strength, but you pull yourself through. You made it!

“I’ll get help!” you call down to Cammie and Jack.

You peer around. You’re behind the counter in the comic shop! The whole building shakes as boxes crash below. Comics flutter up through the hole. You grab one in midair and shove it in your pocket as you run for the door.

Below, Milo screams wildly. “You can’t get away!” he howls. “You’ll ruin everything!”

quote:

You dash out to the street, shouting for help. A block away, you find two police officers. They give you funny looks as you tell them what happened. But they follow you to the store.

“Here’s the place,” you exclaim, leading them to the Comics Dungeon. Hey, that’s weird! The place is locked up.

Through the window, you see only an empty, dusty shop. It looks as if it’s been vacant for months!

A neighboring store owner has the key. A search shows the place is bare. No Milo. No comics. No cellar!

“I was there! I was!” you insist.

The police don’t believe you. But when you step outside, you spot Jack and Cammie, looking dazed. One officer stares. “I know those kids! They disappeared a couple of weeks ago.”

In the next few days, dozens of lost kids turn up all over town. None of them seem to remember where they’ve been.

No one believes your story. You start to doubt it yourself. Until you find the comic you stuffed in your pocket. It’s the first issue of Super-Doer. The one from Horace’s slide show.

Okay, so people don’t believe your story. But they have to believe the mansion you bought after you sold your rare comic book for tons of money...

THE END

I guess that's the advantage of a book with a ton of good endings - it's a lot easier to get one on your first try.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

:siren:Goal Endings: 1/4:siren:

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
:siren:Easy One, Doesn't Count: Got a goal ending on our first try for the second time.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Check out the comic rack.
  • Run from whatever's following you.
  • Run away from Frankenstein.
  • Turn Jack and Cammie down and go on alone.
  • Tackle Milo.
  • Edge around the black puddle.
  • Push ahead of Cammie through the mirror.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

:toot:

Now let's run away from our friends.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Check out that nice rack

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied, next vote for turning down Jack and Cammie or examining the comic rack takes it.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Run away

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You want to get out of this maze now. Besides, Cammie and Jack are too weird for you. “Thanks, but I’d like to see how I get along on my own,” you tell them. You fake a smile. “Maybe I’ll see you later.”

You hurry out of the room.

Behind you, they start snarling at each other again. “You let that kid get away!” Jack’s voice echoes through the maze.

“Oh, right,” Cammie answers. “It was you and your bug-eating! You should never do that in front of newcomers.”

“Speaking of bugs –“ Jack’s voice stops. But you hear a loud crunch! as if he’s biting into something.

Something with a hard shell.

“Come on!” Cammie orders.

Then you hear their footsteps. Coming your way!

Do you run? If so, turn to PAGE 50.

Or should you try to hide? Turn to PAGE 125.

Important to note: running away from Jack and Cammie here takes us to the same page as if we'd run from the monster following us at the beginning of this branch.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Goal Endings: 1/4

Bad Endings
None yet.

Achievements
Easy One, Doesn't Count: Got a goal ending on our first try for the second time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hide!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Hide!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hide!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

I’m ahead of them, you think. And I’m good at hide-and-seek.

On tiptoe, you sneak through the maze. At last, you find a little room with only one doorway. It’s hidden behind some old sheets of plywood. They’ll never find you here!

But in just a few minutes, you hear an odd noise. It sounds like someone sniffling. Trying not to cry.

As the sound gets louder, you realize it’s not someone sniffling, but someone sniffing!

A weird, humped shadow appears in the doorway. It looks like a dog, sniffing out a trail. No! It’s a shaggy-headed boy, crawling along with his nose on the floor. Jack!

A chill trickles down your spine.

A second later, Jack and Cammie block the door.

quote:

You gulp. But their faces seem friendly.

“Why don’t you come with us?” Cammie suggests, stepping up to you. “You’ll be just in time for dinner.”

“That’s right,” Jack chimes in, taking your arm in a firm grip. You try to shake off his hand.

You can’t get free.

“Uh – what is there to eat us down here?” you ask.

“Oh, we just take whatever falls our way.” Cammie grins at you. You suddenly notice how big her teeth are. How pointed.

Jack’s smile reveals the same big, sharp fangs.

Hope you don’t have a sweet tooth. Because it doesn’t look as if you’ll be around for dessert!

THE END

In a maze of monsters, our first death comes at the hands of man. How poetic.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
:siren:Hunted down and devoured by a pair of cannibalistic children.:siren:

Achievements
Easy One, Doesn't Count: Got a goal ending on our first try for the second time.

Our options posted:

• Run from whatever's following you (or Jack and Cammie).
  • Tackle Milo.
  • Edge around the black puddle.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I’m curious what would have happened if we went around the black puddle.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah let’s avoid that goo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So they WERE cannibals! :argh:

Avoid the goo.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So they WERE cannibals! :argh:

Schroedinger's cannibals, in fact. They're perfectly normal kids if you go with them, and cannibals if you ditch them.

quote:

“I don’t want to get this black gunk on my shoes,” you declare. “Hold on a minute.”

You creep along the edge of the big, black puddle. Your back is right against the splintery wooden wall.

About halfway around the puddle, you notice bubbles rising from the gluey goo. As they pop, they let out a horrible stink.

P-U! You squinch up your eyes and hold your nose.

Bad move! You should have kept an eye on the puddle. When you look again, a large, scaly head is rising from the glop.

That puddle must be a lot deeper than you thought!

A pale green forked tongue flicks out and wraps around your ankle. You can’t pull loose!

Desperately, you claw at the plywood wall. But there’s nothing to hold on to. And Cammie and Jack are too far away to help. You’re dragged into the oily black goo.

You’ve got a sinking feeling. As your head goes under the surface, you realize: You’re licked!

THE END

Yep, the obvious option was the trap in this case. As for why we could just stomp through it on the other route... uh... surface tension, I guess.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Hunted down and devoured by a pair of cannibalistic children.
:siren:Yanked into a pool of black goo by a lizard-monster's tongue.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Tackle Milo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Run from Frankenstein.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Beat the poo poo out of Milo

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Tied, next vote for running from Frankenstein or tackling Milo takes it.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Beat the poo poo out of Milo

This is a good idea. gently caress Milo up.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Sorry for the delay. I promise it was for entirely legitimate reasons that have nothing to do with any famous mascot fighters that may or may not have released a new game yesterday.

quote:

Milo is ranting as you, Cammie, and Jack sneak up on him.

“I didn’t do all this for fun, you know!” the pumpkin-faced little man yells. “You’re all down here for a very serious reason, and I want you to – YOW!”

Milo yells in shock as the three of you pile onto him. For a little guy, he’s surprisingly strong. Maybe he gets his muscles from shifting around those huge boxes of comic books.

But, strong or not, there are more of you than there are of him.

It’s a short, sharp battle. But in the end Jack has Milo’s right arm, Tammy holds down his left, and you’re perched on his chest.

“You did it!” one of the captive kids cheers. “You got Milo!”

quote:

Everyone in the room is whooping and hollering to celebrate your victory. You peer down at the helpless former comic book host. He seems oddly calm.

“Fine,” you yell over the noise. “We got him. Now what do we do with him?”

“Make him let us go!” one of the kids yells.

“Yeah,” Cammie cries. “Milo must know the way out of here.”

But you find yourself thinking back to the speech Milo was making when you tackled him. He said he had a very serious reason for keeping the kids in the maze.

What could it be?

If you tell Milo to let everyone go, turn to PAGE 77.

If you ask Milo what he's up to, turn to PAGE 40.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Yanked into a pool of black goo by a lizard-monster's tongue.

Achievements

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Release everyone!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

"Let our people go!"

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Free the children!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Why though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You shake a fist under Milo’s nose. “Okay, Milo, it’s over!” you yell. “Let us all go – or you’ll be sorry!”

Milo just laughs! “No, you’ll be sorry! Don’t you know I’m a mutant? I can change into any kind of creature I want to be.” He gives you an evil smile. “Here’s one I call – the Glob!”

The chest you’re sitting on starts to wobble like Jell-O. You gasp as Milo’s skin turns transparent.

Then he dribbles bonelessly out of his clothes!

Cammie and Jack leap back, screaming.

You try to jump too. But Milo’s new form oozes around your legs. He’s not just gooey, he’s glue-y. You can’t get free of Milo’s slimy self!

He’s up to your knees... your hips... now you’re almost completely covered by the Glob.

Desperately, you try to peel Milo’s glob-form off yourself. “HELP!” you try to shriek. But your air is cut off.

You look at your arm. Your flesh is beginning to blur.

Milo is absorbing you!

Too bad. You looooze this time!

THE END

I know I haven't done a Goosebumps Lore section in a long while, but I can't help feeling Milo's "mutant" powers are a reference to Attack of the Mutant, another Goosebumps book about a comic book character in the real world. In it, the titular supervillain had the power to transform into anything he wanted, with the weakness that turning into something non-solid would prevent him from changing back. Judging by the consistency of the Glob, Milo doesn't have that particular weakness, so we'll have to find another way to deal with him...

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Empty

Bad Endings
Yanked into a pool of black goo by a lizard-monster's tongue.
:siren:Absorbed by Milo's Glob transformation.:siren:

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Ask Milo why he's keeping the kids down here.