Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Prav posted:

netstorm is when you play tetris, tower defence, and capture the flag at the same time

Yea, sort of envision replacing unit micro in a normal rts with tetris style dropping bridges to grab resources, area, and angles of attack on your enemy. Then you quickly get into a WW1 situation where you're both desperately trying to get a flank or bust through their lines. Sort of micro'ing the terrain instead of units? Dunno but I haven't run into anything similar since, which is too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Thanks for posting this.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It's the classic indie game problem. The scope was too big, the buzz and advertising was too little, and they ran out of money and motivation.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

bloodychill posted:

It's the classic indie game problem. The scope was too big, the buzz and advertising was too little, and they ran out of money and motivation.

I'm gonna frame this post and put it on my wall

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ZypherIM posted:

NetStorm: Islands at War is a .. rts game but not in the way you're thinking of. It is so hard to really describe the gameplay loop if you've not experienced it, but essentially you build bridges (which pop in a queue that you can choose from, and after being in queue a while go from damaged to normal) connecting to resource deposits or just jockying for space, and then you place attacking buildings on your bridges to attack your opponent. Attacking buildings (of which there are a huge variety) have specific strength/range/target shapes. You can also build defensive buildings (which range from force field generators to just a big rear end hp building). Your goal is to incapacitate the enemy high priest, have one of your goons haul him to your altar and sacrifice him aztec style. The campaign is decently long, I hear the multiplayer was good but I stress too much to really play rts games multiplayer much. Seems to sort of be abandoned by activision in terms of buying it. If that doesn't put you off its a pretty neat game, and fairly unique gameplay-wise from changing what is malleable and what is static compared to standard rts games.

NetStorm is so loving good. I wanna say it came out as freeware a while back?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
There's a download for something that claims to be NetStorm on Abandonia, but it failed to run on my PC.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

NetStorm is so loving good. I wanna say it came out as freeware a while back?

It came out as freeware about 15 years ago, because it was definitely the first RTS I ever played online.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Very close to pulling the trigger on Starcraft 1 + 2 (remastered and complete respectively) for the $30~ they're going for at the moment, wondering if maybe they'll finally be the non-Dawn of War RTSes that click for me.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Reinstalled aoe2 on a whim and poo poo I am bad at this game, the new ai is steamrolling me on normal. I get the badic concepts (keep your tc running, grab all the available food to harvest, etc) but the ai keeps beating me to castle age with a larger army every time

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

John Murdoch posted:

Very close to pulling the trigger on Starcraft 1 + 2 (remastered and complete respectively) for the $30~ they're going for at the moment, wondering if maybe they'll finally be the non-Dawn of War RTSes that click for me.

SC1 (and this remains true for remasterd) is very very clunky to play nowadays imo. The pathfinding is horrid, you can only select 12 units at a time, and high-level combat is pretty micro heavy. If you're just playing single player this doesn't matter much, but it'll take a while to get used too.
A lot of maps in the campaign are just skirmishes with maybe a wrinkle or two. The story is fine, and holds up quite ok imo.

If you try to play SC1 and can't cope with the old poo poo in the ancient engine, I'd recommend switching over to Mass Recall, a remake of SC1 in the SC2 engine. You can find it here: https://www.sc2mapster.com/projects/starcraft-mass-recall
A large update is coming "Soon" (tm), but the current version has everything you need. I recently played a couple of maps and it works great and it's really a good copy of the original game in the new engine.

SC2 is great. The story is loving terrible, so if you aren't invested in it just skip it if you want. The campaigns are awesome though, the gameplay is really good and there is a strategy-lite layer now where you can add special abilities to your troops, that you can buy with earned cash from bonus objectives and just finishing missions. All 3 campaigns are good; but the first two are completely free to play and will keep you busy for weeks.

SC2 multiplayer is also good, and fun to watch. If you're not into hyper-competitive play, SC2 co-op is actually really good and fun.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I thought only the first campaign of SC2 was free? Also what's the co-op commander situation like? I'm pretty sure you get a bunch of them included with the paid campaigns, but are there more than that and are they a hassle to unlock/paid only?

As for SC1 seems like I'm best off just going with Mass Recall then. I'll probably just sit on that and move on to SC2 part 1 and buy the rest some other time.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 21, 2018

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

The Terran and Zerg campaign of SC2 are free, the Protoss one and the short final DLC campaign (Nova's missions) are not. For Co-op you can play all commanders for free but you cannot level them past 5 (of 15 total). You'll get a bunch of commanders when you buy the 'full game', and the rest are unlocked for 5 bucks each, and they rarely go on sale.
So, even if you never play against other players you'll have like a hundred of hours of playtime ahead of you for free, especially combined with mass recall.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Samopsa posted:

The Terran and Zerg campaign of SC2 are free, the Protoss one and the short final DLC campaign (Nova's missions) are not. For Co-op you can play all commanders for free but you cannot level them past 5 (of 15 total). You'll get a bunch of commanders when you buy the 'full game', and the rest are unlocked for 5 bucks each, and they rarely go on sale.
So, even if you never play against other players you'll have like a hundred of hours of playtime ahead of you for free, especially combined with mass recall.

I want to try co op real bad but I am so, so bad at twitchy rts like starcraft

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Wings of liberty had an ok story. You got some fun characters like Tychus and Tosh, the Zeratul stuff, and a generally fun plot of tearing down the Dominion while fighting the Zerg and trying to gather magic rocks. It's definitely my favorite storyline of the three.

Heart of the swarm is one of the most fun campaigns to play in terms of mechanics because you can be ridiculously overpowered if you pick the right unit upgrades. And this is coming from someone who doesn't usually like playing zerg. However the plot is complete garbage. Some fun characters at least

Legacy of the Void is also reasonably fun to play but the plot is pretty eh and then towards the end there's some stuff that feels very deus ex machina

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Kerrigan sucks. Nova however, rules.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Tosh is my bestie

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Luminous Cow posted:

I want to try co op real bad but I am so, so bad at twitchy rts like starcraft

The good news there is that there are commanders who are really not about twitchy control. For example Karax is a protoss guy who gets a reduced unit cap, but lots of defensive buildings and a small selection of unit options so you can't spread yourself out too bad. If in doubt he also gets carriers, so you can build fancy defenses to cover yourself and your ally, use your big special ability thing early on to help your buddy fight enemies, and eventually build a pile of carriers for whatever the end of map action is (map objectives can vary, so sometimes you won't really have time for carriers, but you can make big tank-like things and stuff like that too). On the other hand, someone like the Zerg commander Zagara is good for not being great at twitchy play, since she is all about just cranking out units and has a bunch of suicide unit doods. So losing piles of little guys doesn't matter much when that is what the gameplan already was.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
The zerg campaign, "heart of the swarm", is not free.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Phyzzle posted:

The zerg campaign, "heart of the swarm", is not free.

OH poo poo you're right, I conflated two things. When they made WoL free they gifted Hots to all who had bought WoL before. My bad!

Also re: coop just go play it on easy, if you play very slowly and just a move your army to objectives you'll win. Once you feel comfortable you can go increase the difficulty. If you really struggle try playing with Stukov, he's designed to be as easy as possible to play. You literally plunk down a beacon on the map and all your troops will move there and gently caress poo poo up.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

StashAugustine posted:

Reinstalled aoe2 on a whim and poo poo I am bad at this game, the new ai is steamrolling me on normal. I get the badic concepts (keep your tc running, grab all the available food to harvest, etc) but the ai keeps beating me to castle age with a larger army every time

The new AI is better than the old AI. I can consistently beat Moderate but Hard seems just out of my reach (unless I do something AI can't handle, like tower rushing).

How long is it before you actually get to Castle Age? The AI also tends to be vulnerable to Feudal aggression. Attack early and often.

Alternatively: Get some friends to help you. :getin:

e: Also AoE2 is on sale right now, so if you don't have the expansions I recommend them. All 3 together are under $9 and add some fun things even if you stick with the old civilizations.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Were there any good must have mods or unit packs for supreme commander forged alliance? I've searched some sites but lots of broken links.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I am Communist posted:

Were there any good must have mods or unit packs for supreme commander forged alliance? I've searched some sites but lots of broken links.

Use this for all your Forged Alliance needs.
https://www.faforever.com/

Anyway, Blackops is the best unit pack imo.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

Wings of liberty had an ok story. You got some fun characters like Tychus and Tosh, the Zeratul stuff, and a generally fun plot of tearing down the Dominion while fighting the Zerg and trying to gather magic rocks. It's definitely my favorite storyline of the three.

Heart of the swarm is one of the most fun campaigns to play in terms of mechanics because you can be ridiculously overpowered if you pick the right unit upgrades. And this is coming from someone who doesn't usually like playing zerg. However the plot is complete garbage. Some fun characters at least

Legacy of the Void is also reasonably fun to play but the plot is pretty eh and then towards the end there's some stuff that feels very deus ex machina

I would say Legacy of the Void is solid just for having the best-designed missions (overall). Heart of the Swarm is fun but the difficulty just kinda drops off a cliff after the first few missions.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Rise of Nations: Extended Edition is on sale for $5. Given that it is a game I enjoyed in my formative years (although not so much as other RTS-es), I picked it up again but this time in proper digital format rather than CD.

So why not post about it?

Rise of Nations

In 2000, Brian Reynolds decided that he wanted to make an RTS game that felt as complex and interesting to him as the turn based strategy games he had been working on (and given that he was one of the leads for Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, that was a pretty high bar to set). So as is apparently the wont of indie game developers with a bright idea in the late 90s/early 2000s, he convinced 3-4 others from Firaxis to join him in leaving the company and founding a new one for the express purpose of doing that: Big Huge Games. For the next 3 years they worked on the game that became Rise of Nations.

Rise of Nations is a historical RTS with a focus on economic development supporting a robust military; advancing through ages to obtain better technologies, ranging from ancient history until the modern day. Something that if you've read most of my posts is going to sound very familiar. Combined with coming out at the cusp of the new millenium you'd be forgiven for thinking that like Empire Earth it was meant to be an Age of Empires 2 clone/killer. But you'll get your rear handed to if you try to play it like one. There's a formal system of territory control where you can't build anything outside of it and instead have to focus on trying to expand your territory to grab advantageous spots on the map/improve your taxation bonus/get map control/gain access to rare resources and you'll get wrecked if you try to invade enemy territory without certain logistical support units in later ages. Following that, gathering is explicitly based on the extant infrastructure rather than serving as ease of access/drop off points. Additional cities are needed for generating a larger territory presence and being able to generate more food and wealth.The tech tree is a lot more heavy handed and mandatory - there are certain conditions under which your empire literally can't gather resources/build more cities/build more units without the upgrades. Making them dependent on research rather than just a consequence of your ever improving infrastructure. Knowledge exists as a separate resource and becomes crucial for a lot of later technologies to the point where you have to make a decision as to how much population cap you're sacrificing purely for research purposes rather than general purpose resources. The end result of these and many other changes is it feels like someone went and quantified a lot of the more abstract parts of an RTS and explicitly put them in the game mechanics. It sets a bit more of a skill floor in that you HAVE to be managing these things successfully or else the game doesn't work at all, but the degree to which an individual player likes or hates the formalization can be rather subjective.

I will say that I 100% prefer the campaign system of Rise of Nations to those of most of its comparable competitors. Rather than a series of thematically interlocking but otherwise unrelated maps, Rise of Nations gives you a great big board game to deal with. The base game came with a single Conquer the World campaign in which you expanded your empire out over the world via a series of themed skirmish maps - sometimes the standard variant, but sometimes a variation on a theme. You had a number of resources related to the larger map which could be brought into an individual scenario and there were often circumstances in which you were having to react to enemy attempts at gunning for your territory rather than it being a straight march through your opponents. This does have a tendency of making the campaign a little on the long side. One of the ways in which Big Huge Games tried to remedy that in the expansion pack was by releasing a number of smaller themed campaigns with more specific objectives.

You'll notice that this is something of a smaller writeup than my other articles. That's my experience with Rise of Nations - it does what it's supposed to do very well, such that it only takes a short time to learn what you need to know even with the mandated minimum threshold of complexity. But the simplicity of transition also means: 1) Compared to the others whose campaigns often functionally serve as a way to ease the slide from tutorial mode to full on player readiness, you're just sort of dunked in the drink after you finish even the Guided Quick Start game. 2) I can't really tell you whether or not you'll like it, despite it being pretty objectively good in the categories by which we'd judge a historical RTS. It's something you have to discover for yourself.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 24, 2018

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Rise of Nations is great, it was an undervalued gem that slided through the shadows of other more popular RTS of the time.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Was rise of legends any good? I always wanted it but by the time I was old enough to have the means to Just Get It, it was old enough that I wasn't sure if I'd be able to enjoy dated rts single player, and I certainly didn't have any friends playing it

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

ninjewtsu posted:

Was rise of legends any good? I always wanted it but by the time I was old enough to have the means to Just Get It, it was old enough that I wasn't sure if I'd be able to enjoy dated rts single player, and I certainly didn't have any friends playing it

I got a lot of fun out of the single player campaign. It'not perfect, but it is one of the better campaign map experiences out there.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

ninjewtsu posted:

It felt very unpolished to me, I'm almost positive that they ran out of money during development or something.

RoN was so god damned good though, I remember it being pretty hyped up and seeing big cardboard displays at the local Electronics Boutiques.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Harveygod posted:

The new AI is better than the old AI. I can consistently beat Moderate but Hard seems just out of my reach (unless I do something AI can't handle, like tower rushing).

How long is it before you actually get to Castle Age? The AI also tends to be vulnerable to Feudal aggression. Attack early and often.

Yeah I realized they updated it, I just keep falling behind, usually teaching castle a bit behind while not having much of a military up. Its probably just a tendency of slipping up little things with workers but it kind if feels overwhelming that even knowing more or less what to do you still get wrecked if you forget to build a couple houses on time

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I won a game against ResonanceBot. :3:

Granted, literally all of it's gold piles were forward and at the bottom of hills, but for my second AoE2 game I'll take it.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I hope we get another rerelease of Age of Mythology some day, the extended edition is so god damned bad.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Deakul posted:

I hope we get another rerelease of Age of Mythology some day, the extended edition is so god damned bad.

I thought the only problem with it was that the new faction sucked?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mordja posted:

I thought the only problem with it was that the new faction sucked?

For me, it runs like poo poo... the upgrades look like poo poo... and the load times are unusually long.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I've not had a problem with AOM:EE myself, though China is rather broken. More than anything I just want a sequel, AOM was such a damned fun game and It's one of the few old school strategy games I still play. I don't think I've ever had a PC without it installed. Both AOM and Generals are probably my two all time favorite rts games and I'm damned bummed that Act of Aggression failed as I wanted another Generals-esque game.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

every time i try to play AoM:EE with friends there's a thousand technical issues that render the game unplayable

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
A new 2D RTS thing in the style of Warcraft 2 and 3 just came out on Steam, made in Unity. It has a free demo. I played it and thought it was pretty decent. Their campaign is fully voice acted and has cutscenes and whatnot. Surpassed my expectations, at least.

Here's the link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/946660/Loria/

I think that the environment art is bad, but apart from that it's okay imo. I recommend at least playing the first couple of campaign missions in the Demo. The download for it is on the right in the sidebar.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 27, 2018

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Love Stole the Day posted:

A new 2D RTS thing in the style of Warcraft 2 and 3 just came out on Steam, made in Unity. It has a free demo. I played it and thought it was pretty decent. Their campaign is fully voice acted and has cutscenes and whatnot. Surpassed my expectations, at least.

I think that the environment art is bad, but apart from that it's okay imo. I recommend at least playing the first couple of campaign missions in the Demo. The download for it is on the right in the sidebar.

This actually has a lot more work put into it than I expected.
The overall art is pretty garbage and I really don't think we needed to replicate early 90s RTS sprite work but the foundation is pretty solid!

Though the pathfinding is pretty bad too and the building placement is annoyingly finicky.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 27, 2018

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Love Stole the Day posted:

"Hey, how do we counter a orge thats 10 feet tall and solid muscle?"

"Dude on a horse."

"gently caress, I'm going back to warhammer, at least they have guns there."

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah I realized they updated it, I just keep falling behind, usually teaching castle a bit behind while not having much of a military up. Its probably just a tendency of slipping up little things with workers but it kind if feels overwhelming that even knowing more or less what to do you still get wrecked if you forget to build a couple houses on time

You've been shown a few Spirit of the Law videos. It's worth watching this one, watching the AI at work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqiOQ1dAhL4

It does things you wouldn't necessarily think of, in the race to push to castle as fast as is possible. It's weird, it is not as efficient as it could be, but nonetheless it works. It probably has as little as you, but it's got the potential to be throwing out Knights, Shortswords, Castle units, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

AoM:EE is goddamn terrible for what it should be (decently running and compatible AoM on modern systems), I also played the gently caress out of it: