Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tricky D posted:

They just have a hologram do it. It materializes immediately after you finish and looks you straight in the eye while he squeegees into the drain.
they gave it sentience just so it could project the right amount of silent resentment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Ghostlight posted:

they gave it sentience just so it could project the right amount of silent resentment

Quark charges extra for that

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Tricky D posted:

Quark charges extra for that

how much does he charge to make the jizz mopper use Hot Quark's model

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I forgot Worf doesn't get promoted to Lieutenant Commander until Generations. How is there water in the holodeck? Is it simulated with force fields? How do you get wet from those?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Danaru posted:

how much does he charge to make the jizz mopper use Hot Quark's model

If you have to ask you can't afford it

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Seriously though the holodeck technology would never become popular until it has a self-cleaning feature like modern ovens. A mop isn't going to prevent you from contracting Mourn's space AIDS.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Morn is a goddamned perfect gentleman and he always uses protection

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Morn is a goddamned perfect gentleman and he always uses protection

Yeah, he never shuts up and gets down to business!

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Rule of acquisition number 102: Nature decays, but latinum lasts forever.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Just beam the jizz into space.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
modify a torpedo to deliver the jizz to enemy vessels

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Seriously, the transporters just don’t get used enough. Some shape shifting sasquatch is beating up worf and tells him she’s much more powerful than he is? “Worf to O’Brien, beam this bitch into space.”

Some old but young lady who is the last of her clan on a quest for vengeance is about to murder a dude with a microbe? What does Riker do? Oh yeah, beams down to kill her instead of beaming her straight to the brig. Way to be a murderer, Riker.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

PenisMonkey posted:

Seriously, the transporters just don’t get used enough. Some shape shifting sasquatch is beating up worf and tells him she’s much more powerful than he is? “Worf to O’Brien, beam this bitch into space.”

Some old but young lady who is the last of her clan on a quest for vengeance is about to murder a dude with a microbe? What does Riker do? Oh yeah, beams down to kill her instead of beaming her straight to the brig. Way to be a murderer, Riker.

People say, "but then that would ruin the story" but I always thought that it was lazy writing.

Whenever they have to beam into a hostile situation (where there isn't a techno-babble excuse why they can beam in but the transporters can't do anything else) they could just beam every phaser/gun/knife/spear within a 5km radius of the team away. Hell, you've just disabled an enemy ship's shields? Beam a torpedo into their warp core, beam a poison gas into their ship, beam a dice-sized piece of every crew-members brain out of their skull. Someone just cut a hole in your hull? Beam a chunk of an ingot in your cargo bay into a new panel that perfectly repairs the hole that was left in your hull. torpedo incoming? Beam a solid object in its path. Continue to beam material onto your hull, like ablative armour during a battle.

Then again this is the same show(s) where people manually target enemy ships and fire three torpedoes a minute instead of having computers do in in 1/1000th the time, and have 50 torpedoes hit the exact same spot of the target at the exact same instant.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://i.imgur.com/jsxNkUw.gifv

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I’m so glad that they don’t have teleporters in Orville. Well that one race of mega advanced aliens from one of the first episodes has it but that’s it.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Showing any human being spending even a microsecond outside of a holodeck is the most unrealistic part of Trek.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Fabulousity posted:

Showing any human being spending even a microsecond outside of a holodeck is the most unrealistic part of Trek.

Not all humans are goons, hth

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
No loving way would Dukat hoverhand

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Gutcruncher posted:

I’m so glad that they don’t have teleporters in Orville. Well that one race of mega advanced aliens from one of the first episodes has it but that’s it.

This was a great idea for plot reasons, transporters gently caress everything up.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Peachfart posted:

This was a great idea for plot reasons, transporters gently caress everything up.

ENT realised this then steadily abandoned it for lazy writing

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

there's nothing more authentically star trek

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Why don't the just beam the ring into Mount Doom??

naem
May 29, 2011

First of May posted:

Why don't the just beam the ring into Mount Doom??

why doesn’t samwise, the largest hobbit, simply eat the other hobbits

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

naem posted:

why doesn’t samwise, the largest hobbit, simply eat the other hobbits

Why doesn't Aragorn fall in love with Legolas, the dreamiest of the Fellowship members?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

Why doesn't Aragorn fall in love with Legolas, the dreamiest of the Fellowship members?

um its gimli.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

simplefish posted:

ENT realised this then steadily abandoned it for lazy writing

Did they even make it past season one before they had pretty much every piece of tech that they had in TNG? When they brought out the holograms, I pretty much gave up because they were scraping the Voyager barrel.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You;d think Discovery could try to be relevant with like, space Youtubers or something. TOS had space hippies.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Blistex posted:

Did they even make it past season one before they had pretty much every piece of tech that they had in TNG? When they brought out the holograms, I pretty much gave up because they were scraping the Voyager barrel.

They used the transporter for crew once in the first series, and that's ok, I'll give em one 'emergency transport!' Deus Ex.

But by S3 it wasn't irregular, and what really peeved me was the photon torpedoes - Kirk clearly says the Romulan-Earth war was fought with atomic weapons, and there was zero actual change in having photon torpedoes other than 1)"ohmigawd future-trek reference! this is The Moment'" (and was anyone actually emotionally attached to the photon bit of photon torpedoes?), and 2) "it goes boom bigger" which can always happen without going back on established stuff

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You;d think Discovery could try to be relevant with like, space Youtubers or something. TOS had space hippies.

they referred to current events by having the protagonist be a self-righteous bigot.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

when's the new season of the best ongoing star trek series, the orville?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

also literally the entire plot of discovery is summed up as "miles obrien micjael burnham is a space racist who makes everything worse by attacking whenever his her racism is triggered"

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Miles is a likeable, long-suffering family man and friend, even to the cardies. Michael is emotionally stunted and violent, finally she decides genocide is wrong maybe.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Animal-Mother posted:

modify a torpedo to deliver the jizz to enemy vessels

"On further review, this is definitely not Ketracel White."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Sinding Johansson posted:

Miles is a likeable, long-suffering family man and friend, even to the cardies.
o'brien's lowest moment was sabotaging bashir's attempts to break the ketracel white addiction. he walked into that situation racist, defied the orders of a superior officer because racism, and had absolutely no marks on his record, and for that episode alone i completely understand why o'brien must suffer

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
He had a point though, Bashir was pretty naive. Sure the one guy in charge was reasonable, but all his underlings were drug addicts going through withdrawal. They were on the verge of mutiny when OBrian forced Bashir to leave.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Pick posted:

um its gimli.

sean bean :colbert:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

To get a sci fi gimli fix, I recommend Sliders for the actor, Farscape for the character

My favourite was when Orlando Bloom had already been cast in long-running Middle England drivel, Midomer Murders. He kept his contractual obligation rather than bailing for Holywood Megabux at first opportunity,and they slipped in a subtle reference by naming the house his character lived in out of Tolkien, which the detectives remarked wryly upon before ringing his doorbell

simplefish fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 3, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

For sci fi Legolas who do you recommend.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Take your pick, Beautiful Elf In Space has been done to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

tos star trek movie storyboards of spock