Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Maybe it had something to do with with directing a dozen+ games alongside of that.

I'd like to know how much of this he was forced to do by SE and how much of it was on his own initiative. Looking over his career it seems like he was the driver for alot of the KH spinoff games and saying it's not his fault he couldn't effectively direct his two concurrent AAA titles because he kept wandering out of the office to direct twelve other games seems a little silly.

corn in the bible posted:

Nomura has many problems but when we consider SE management is so hosed he was the official director of FF7 Remake for months without actuallu being told he looks a little less culpable

I mean yeah this is pretty much what I mean, clearly the problem at SE run deeper than Nomura, but the guy seems to be at least a little responsible for the predicaments he got his teams into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

multijoe posted:

I'd like to know how much of this he was forced to do by SE and how much of it was on his own initiative.

Given that they didn't even tell him he was the director of the FF7 remake for months it seems like the problem is more with upper management.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I don't understand the white knighting for Nomura. He doesn't need your sympathy internet people, he's part of The Man and is The Enemy.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If Nomura had actually tried to turn FFXV into a musical he'd be way cooler.

Have you played the musical segment in Kingdom Hearts 2? One of the absolute cringiest things I've ever heard in my entire life.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Have you played the musical segment in Kingdom Hearts 2? One of the absolute cringiest things I've ever heard in my entire life.

Yeah it was bad. But there's a huge difference between making a mainline FF game into a musical and having an optional musical level in a disney crossover. One's a lame minigame and the other would be a hell of a power move.

Unfortunately that's not what happened though. :(

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

just for funsies, here's his directors credtis according to imdb for the past 15 years.

Director (18 credits)
2018 Final Fantasy VII Remake (Video Game) (announced) (lol)
2019 Kingdom Hearts III (Video Game) (completed) (not out yet)
2017 Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 + 2.5 Remix (Video Game) (remaster)
2017 Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue (Video Game) (no idea)
2016 Final Fantasy XV (Video Game) (original director) (yeah...)
2014 Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix (Video Game) (remaster)
2013 Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 Remix (Video Game) (remaster)
2012 Kingudamu hâtsu 3D: Dorîmu doroppu disutansu (Video Game) (video game!)
2010 Kingdom Hearts Re:coded (Video Game) (remaster)
2010 Kingudamu hâtsu: Bâsu bai surîpu (Video Game) (?)
2009 Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days (Video Game) (video game!)
2007 Kingdom Hearts II: Final Mix+ (Video Game) (remaster)
2007 Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories (Video Game) (remaster)
2005 Kingdom Hearts II (Video Game) (video game!)
2005 Last Order: Final Fantasy VII (Video short) (supervising) (stuff, i guess)
2005 Fainaru fantajî sebun adobento chirudoren (?)
2004 Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (Video Game) (video game!)

as far as i can tell, that's 4 new games since 2004. No idea if that's bad or not compared to industry standards and the other stuff.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

He was a director on Advent Children, Birth by Sleep, and 2.8. That list also leaves off the KH mobile game, which Nomura is a director on, and has regularly been getting content for several years now. Re:CoM and Re:coded are not "remasters" either- they're full blown remakes.

Even the actual remastered collections contained several hours of "cinematics" for Days, Re:coded, and Union X that weren't a part of the original releases.

So really its 10 new games since 2004- CoM, Re:CoM, Kingdom Hearts II, Birth by Sleep, Days, coded, re:coded, 3D, 2.8, and the current mobile game. In addition there's Advent Children and the remasters/Final Mixes which have come out at a regular rate.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 3, 2018

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Raxivace posted:

Even the actual remastered collections contained several hours of "cinematics" for Days, Re:coded, and Union X that weren't a part of the original releases.

Which, alongside the racism inherent in the company, is one of the biggest problems. They forgot the lesson of Spirits Within and keep spending more time making cinematics than games.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Gologle posted:

I don't understand the white knighting for Nomura. He doesn't need your sympathy internet people, he's part of The Man and is The Enemy.

Word.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My latest barely founded ideas on why Square as a studio can't release anything is that considering we are talking about the same creatives directing as there were 20 years ago, it's maybe telling that nobody younger has risen up to step in so that the old guard can just be producers like they seemingly want to be.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You guys realize Square releases more than final fantasy console games, right

No? Okay

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Let Final Fantasy die imo

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
Final Fantasy Megathread - Why does this franchise still exist?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

lobster22221 posted:

Because they still owe me Final Fantasy A3 on the Switch.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3

lobster22221 posted:

This is legit a better thread title than what we have now.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Tae posted:

You guys realize Square releases more than final fantasy console games, right

No? Okay

I don't care until they make a Rocket Slime for Switch.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Just give FF16 to Taro Yoko. He's always on time and on budget and it doesn't stop him from getting critical acclaim.

pichupal posted:

I don't care until they make a Rocket Slime for Switch.

also this

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Yoko Taro receives critical acclaim because his games externalize the internal existential horror that video gamer reviews feels about themselves and their world because they actually hate video games and themselves because their life didn't turn out the way they wanted it to.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

mlyp

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Gologle posted:

Yoko Taro receives critical acclaim because his games externalize the internal existential horror that video gamer reviews feels about themselves and their world because they actually hate video games and themselves because their life didn't turn out the way they wanted it to.

Microcline posted:

Just give FF16 to Taro Yoko. He's always on time and on budget and it doesn't stop him from getting critical acclaim.

The hell? I'm pretty sure until NieR Automata, Yoko Taro games have been critically panned for being dumpster fires with interesting narratives attached. And Automata is mostly because Platinum managed to take his batshit concepts and actually make an actual decent game out of them.

Like, cool on that guy for finally getting out something that isn't a trainwreck in motion, but let's not retroactively dismiss these disasters as misunderstood masterpieces or something.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The Drakengard series was absolutely a misunderstood masterpiece.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Mr. Locke posted:

The hell? I'm pretty sure until NieR Automata, Yoko Taro games have been critically panned for being dumpster fires with interesting narratives attached. And Automata is mostly because Platinum managed to take his batshit concepts and actually make an actual decent game out of them.

Like, cool on that guy for finally getting out something that isn't a trainwreck in motion, but let's not retroactively dismiss these disasters as misunderstood masterpieces or something.

On one hand, this is all totally true and I can't dispute a word of it. On the other, the developers of Yoko Taro's previous games were (in order): Cavia, Cavia, and Access Games. You know, those fine folks who made Deadly Premonition, among other programming feats. So I don't know how much of the blame I necessarily put at his feet - a proper FF16 would presumably be given a team and budget that allows for better results "single digit frames in splitscreen".

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

edit: was originally posting images but imgur seems to be loving up right now

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Mr. Locke posted:

The first Nier was great. The combat was mediocre but it wasn't actively bad like in all his other games and everything else about the game was top tier minus a few miserable sidequests. All the Drakengards are poo poo though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Yoko Taro has never been involved in a bad game at any point

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i see so all the bad games with yoko taro's name on them were simply impersonators

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Drakengard is cool and Nier is even better than Nier Automata

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
SAKAGUCHI!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I wouldn't call Drakengard a good "game"

It's great art, and an amazing experience but the act of playing isn't very fun.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I'm a bit sad I missed out on Drakengard when it came out. It looks really interesting but I just don't think I'd have the patience for the lovely and dated gameplay now, I mean even at the time people didn't seem to think it was very good

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Nier is even better than Nier Automata

Bold statement.

Yet true.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nomura has directed the only consistently good franchise SE has made in the past 2 decades. Meanwhile SE upper managment has bungled every Big game they've tried to develop by stretching a creative workforce as thin as possible which led to multiple director walk outs. The Belt Man is not the issue and if you think he is you're a big doofus.

Nah he sucks rear end, and if you consider KH "consistently good" you have extremely low standards and extremely high tolerance for stupid bullshit. No one made him abandon real games for nonsense sidegames that make no sense, games that no one asked for. The fact that people will likely need to have played all of these myriad side games to understand where the story is at when KHIII finally comes out is just as much of a Bad Thing as the fact that his last two Triple A titles each floundered for 10 years. He's George Lucas in the prequel era, making stupid nonsense that no one asked for, completely misunderstanding what people liked about the things he created, and unable or unwilling to take any editing to make a better project.

If you think Nomura is not a problem at all then it is you in fact who are the big doofus.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
actually it owns. diversify your game platform portfolio dude to synergize with the trending paradigms of kh mobile games

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gologle posted:

actually it owns. diversify your game platform portfolio dude to synergize with the trending paradigms of kh mobile games

- nothing he says ever makes sense
- writes like a markov chain bot but doesn't give a gently caress
- thinks kingdom hearts is, actually, good

guys i think gologle is... tetsuya nomura

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Also the only consistently good franchise in square enix is SaGa

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

- nothing he says ever makes sense
- writes like a markov chain bot but doesn't give a gently caress
- thinks kingdom hearts is, actually, good

guys i think gologle is... tetsuya nomura

It explains so much

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yoko Taro has never been involved in a bad game at any point

Covert Ops: Nuclear Dawn

Alpine Racer 2, however, rules

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kingdom Hearts isn't for me, but within their aesthetic paradigm there's nothing particularly wrong with them or their production.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Epi Lepi posted:

Nah he sucks rear end, and if you consider KH "consistently good" you have extremely low standards and extremely high tolerance for stupid bullshit. No one made him abandon real games for nonsense sidegames that make no sense, games that no one asked for. The fact that people will likely need to have played all of these myriad side games to understand where the story is at when KHIII finally comes out is just as much of a Bad Thing as the fact that his last two Triple A titles each floundered for 10 years. He's George Lucas in the prequel era, making stupid nonsense that no one asked for, completely misunderstanding what people liked about the things he created, and unable or unwilling to take any editing to make a better project.

If you think Nomura is not a problem at all then it is you in fact who are the big doofus.

KH owns and they're not side games just because they don't have a number attached, every one is part of the main story apart from maybe the DS ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Epi Lepi posted:

KH is good and better than 99% of FF games and I'm sorry you brain can't understand that just because they weren't on a home console doesnn't mean they aren't entry in the story.

Sakurazuka posted:

KH owns and they're not side games just because they don't have a number attached, every one is part of the main story apart from maybe the DS ones.

DDD makes 382/2 Days like....one of the most important bits of canon in the franchise.

Coded is probably gonna come up since we're going back to data twilight town and we learned even copies of worlds can develop real souls.