Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

So there's a hidden benefit to the S size mining ships.

The basic dock comes with only 1 M size landing pad. Which means that every loving M size trader in the galaxy is queued up outside my loving factory to buy my surplus loving energy cells at below loving market value and no fucker can get loving parked. Including the loving M size ore miner I just bought.

gently caress.

I'm glad I shelled out for the extra big docking bay now.

Can you have multiple docking bays on a station or will the game get mad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

if you find a bunch of unknown objects floating in space and they look like a field of floating yellow things, you should go away because those are mines

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The dev said it "increases the efficiency of actions" but I have yet to figure out what that means exactly.

How long trades take?

I’m assuming crew do the work of marines during impromptu gatecrasher incidents, but i’m pulling that off the egosoft forums.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Astroniomix posted:

I'm glad I shelled out for the extra big docking bay now.

Can you have multiple docking bays on a station or will the game get mad?

I'm building more of them and the trading stations are covered in them so I would assume so, just jammed my station to hell is all.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Computer, have I hurt your feelings with my posts?

No, Captain Weed Lord, everything is fine.

Well, just checking.

(The most optimistic reason I can think of, is that it calculates based on "What would an AI be better at" even when you are seated. So maybe a wide loop on the super highway is 'faster' by like ten seconds for NPCs.)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 3, 2018

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

OwlFancier posted:

The basic dock comes with only 1 M size landing pad. Which means that every loving M size trader in the galaxy is queued up outside my loving factory to buy my surplus loving energy cells at below loving market value and no fucker can get loving parked. Including the loving M size ore miner I just bought.

gently caress.
There is a longer version of the basic dock with 6 M size landing pads. Also you can build multiple docks per station.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can but I didn't anticipate that before I set out to flood the galaxy with cheap ecells.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Man I wanted to use my joystick but I think I give up. With a joystick anytime I'm out of mouse steer the view is moving in some direction at some speed. Even if anything is unbound. This make looking at the map a real headache I'll tell ya. It's like it keeps reading the joystick input but turns off the deadzone.

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

I found a giant wreck of a ship and I can EVA into it and stuff but there doesn't seem to be any loot or anything. Anyone know what to do with thees if anything? It doesn't show up on radar or the map and when you get near it the scanner just shows it as "wreck".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Someone said they found loot in one of those but couldn't get it out, I haven't been able to find any loot in them so far though.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I love some of the system names in the X games. Memory of Profit... pure gold. I've been listening to the OST and it seems quite good. Ill wait a bit before picking this up.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are there any M size construction ships?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

OwlFancier posted:

Someone said they found loot in one of those but couldn't get it out, I haven't been able to find any loot in them so far though.

If you see doors or some debris you can use your eva laser to get into them to hidden areas. Someone on Steam posted about it after messing about inside of one for a bit. Apparently the repair laser can get some doors operational again and maybe you can laser your way past some other stuff. No one's sure just what does and doesn't work on them yet.

Apparently they found something in there worth 1.3 mil either way. No clue exactly what you're looking for though, so get ready to trawl through everything up to and including trying to see if consoles and other little environmental props work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pomp posted:

Are there any M size construction ships?

No, but you can hire the ones flying around. When you go to assign you can zoom out until you find one and then hire it, and it'll stay on station to complete whatever build plan you ordered.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Archonex posted:

If you see doors or some debris you can use your eva laser to get into them to hidden areas. Someone on Steam posted about it after messing about inside of one for a bit. Apparently the repair laser can get some doors operational again and maybe lasered some other stuff?

Apparently they found something in there worth 1.3 mil either way. No clue exactly what you're looking for though, so get ready to trawl through everything up to and including trying to see if consoles work.

Ahh I did find some that looked like doors but didn't realise they actually were interactable.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

OwlFancier posted:

Ahh I did find some that looked like doors but didn't realise they actually were interactable.

Yeah. The guy posted screenshots about it under the screenshots section on Steam. Search for passageway or wreck and you should be able to find it. Apparently there's at least one passageway you can open up that you can rig a bypass too in one way or another. Though no one knows how the hell to do anything else on the wrecks they've found. Even the repair laser thing was a surprise.

Either way, they seem to be an early alpha of being able to take part in ship boarding's since you can steal the loot/data/whatever on the ship. So hopefully we'll get something a bit more advanced in a later game or an update.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 3, 2018

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>
What's the purpose of putting funds into a station for station construction? How do I get it to use up those funds for buying resources?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

What's the purpose of putting funds into a station for station construction? How do I get it to use up those funds for buying resources?

Any time you plan a build the station will hire freighters to bring the components needed using the money you gave it. Past games the station would also use it to buy raw materials for production if you didn't already have ships bringing it stuff I'm guessing it still works like that but I haven't built a station that produces anything yet.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

GODDAMN FOOL posted:

It will happen automatically if there's a builder assigned to it. What happens is that traders will come by and sell those things to your station, which the station will buy using the money you've given it.

Unrelated: Is there anywhere that logs the tutorial messages that pop up on the screen? I keep seeing it pop up occasionally and missing what it says because I'm distracted by something else and it goes away so quickly.

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

hitze posted:

I can't get this fucker to do anything

Do I need a better captain? If so how do you get rid of this fucker?

I had this issue when I bought a new ship and told the pilot to take over my old ship. Make sure he's actually in the ship by right-clicking it on the map and checking if the comm option is available. If not, I found that by docking at the station where the ship is and physically walking over to it fixed it.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Shadowlz posted:

Man I wanted to use my joystick but I think I give up. With a joystick anytime I'm out of mouse steer the view is moving in some direction at some speed. Even if anything is unbound. This make looking at the map a real headache I'll tell ya. It's like it keeps reading the joystick input but turns off the deadzone.

This game seems to have quite a few issues with using/swapping between controls. Use keyboard/mouse, and when you pick up controller, it takes a second of input before it actually responds to anything. And vice versa. I can't figure out how to target in the map and keep gamepad control either. If I target something on the map with keyboard, then exit out and fly with pad, it clears my target and I can't get it to lock on again.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else suffering from the music looping every 30 seconds while on a station?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

My combat music wouldn't turn off so I eventually had to disable music entirely.

GODDAMN FOOL
Aug 23, 2005

DO NOT READ >>>

Astroniomix posted:

My combat music wouldn't turn off so I eventually had to disable music entirely.

I've just been listening to EVE Online's OST because it's at least not the same 10 seconds repeated over and over

edit: what kinda place should I be looking to sell delirium? I was hoping the pirate base would buy it from me but no dice

GODDAMN FOOL fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 3, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume that's what the black market is for but I've not got access to it yet. You get a mission eventually to unlock it if you scan enough of those mission beacons on stations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So that's two for two on "Lockboxes with EIGHT locks are just full of tracker mines" (and also, TWO Algae scrubbers! Wow!). Thank you, :tinfoil: allowing me to back off and not get hit by a single one of like, nine tracker mines.

No hotkeys seem capable of targeting mines unless they are mission targets specifically. But you can (sometimes) select them from your map.

By comparison, the mines surrounding ships just sitting in the middle of systems oddly, will show up as ? marks, then erase themselves from the map when I get close enough to know they are mines.

TL;DR: If you see a spinning lockbox with 8 locks on it. Don't bother.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 3, 2018

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
I just found a lockbox with 10 locks that didn't have mines in it (decent loot), so I guess it's just 8 that's the one to avoid

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone confirm you don't need to complete the tutorials to progress? I've done all the ones I can for now (no base building tutorial yet).

I restarted my game hoping that a new run would fix the Scan Mode tutorial but no luck. I get the signal everytime and move right up to it where it is decrypted and the tutorial appears to continue but then it just stops and I have to abort it.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

You don't actually need to do any of the tutorials.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I love flying through systems at 6km/s much more than putting SETA 10x on in x3.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Astroniomix posted:

You don't actually need to do any of the tutorials.

Figured, just wanted to be sure it wasn't locking some content behind completion.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I

OwlFancier posted:

gently caress.

How do I get my god drat mining ship to automatically bring silicon to my station.

I assigned it to the station as a miner and it’s literally next to a silicon belt but it won’t mine unless I give it an explicit mine silicon order. Do I need a station manager and employees?

I’ve been screaming at my computer for three hours yet somehow I’m still here and I can’t stop playing. I have a feeling this is the appeal of the X series and I’ll never stop, now.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I

How do I get my god drat mining ship to automatically bring silicon to my station.

I assigned it to the station as a miner and it’s literally next to a silicon belt but it won’t mine unless I give it an explicit mine silicon order. Do I need a station manager and employees?

I’ve been screaming at my computer for three hours yet somehow I’m still here and I can’t stop playing. I have a feeling this is the appeal of the X series and I’ll never stop, now.

You need a station manager, but not employees.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Pylons posted:

You need a station manager, but not employees.

American retail.txt

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Is there any way to get one without a 10million dollar fuckin Hab?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

I

Set its default behavior to AutoMine, then designate one or more ware you want it to mine for. It will automatically go seek out those types of wares and sell them.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Is there any way to get one without a 10million dollar fuckin Hab?

The habitat is for employees, not managers. Managers can just be any old fucker you hire. Make them a pilot, have them fly to your station, then transfer them to the station.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Set its default behavior to AutoMine, then designate one or more ware you want it to mine for. It will automatically go seek out those types of wares and sell them.

I swear I did this, but it would never go into the belt and actually mine. If I gave it specific orders to mine silicon and then to take it back it worked, but eh. Maybe a bug, but it’s so hard to tell.

Pylons posted:

The habitat is for employees, not managers. Managers can just be any old fucker you hire. Make them a pilot, have them fly to your station, then transfer them to the station.

I tried this but I couldn’t transfer anyone to the station? Do I need a special module?

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
Mother of god this game

https://old.reddit.com/r/X4Foundations/comments/a2i1rt/tiprotating_station_modules/

that may help you if you need to figure out how to rotate modules when planning your station

also, in the plan build thing it sort of gives you an indication that *something* is happening towards the building of this station, minerals are being bought, things are moving, but goddamn why couldn't they have two % bars or something. I honestly thought the game broke and my station would never build despite builder assigned and money put into the station account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I swear I did this, but it would never go into the belt and actually mine. If I gave it specific orders to mine silicon and then to take it back it worked, but eh. Maybe a bug, but it’s so hard to tell.

I tried this but I couldn’t transfer anyone to the station? Do I need a special module?

Was it while they were docked on the station? You need to right click on it and hit "select" in the window that pops up.