Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Momomo posted:

Considering part 5 has absolutely nothing to do with part 6 at all you pretty much skipped it for nothing

I know that, but i was also aware that part 7 was a reboot because the power creep in part 6 got out of hand so i decided to skip to that rather than dropping it entirely. It was a good decision since i liked part 7 and 8 except for Love Train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i think i know what you mean but power creep is the one thing JoJo never has

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
All i knew (and still know) is that the universe is ended somehow by Pucci. Coming off of Gold Experience Requiem i wasn't interested in that. But in the end Part 7 ended with a bad guy who just stands there with an invincible stand who is then killed over and over in a time loop like Diavolo so joke's on me i guess.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Expect My Mom posted:

i think i know what you mean but power creep is the one thing JoJo never has

I'd say late part 6 suffers from power creep a bit (mainly Dio's sons, Heavy Weather, and Made in Heaven), but araki ended it right before it went totally out of control. They're still all great fights (with the series still not suffering from the usual long term consequences of power creep)

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Part 6 really is the Boss Rush, and its tight.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the stakes get higher in part 6 but it's really, definitely not like people jumping to a new super saiyan level and having to constantly play a game of catch-up to be competitive. i'm not sure what skipping it even accomplishes if you've already read every part before it and inexplicably want to jump to the next one right after it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I'd say late part 6 suffers from power creep a bit (mainly Dio's sons, Heavy Weather, and Made in Heaven), but araki ended it right before it went totally out of control. They're still all great fights (with the series still not suffering from the usual long term consequences of power creep)
but that's not really what power creep is to me

no one is left behind by a result of the fights becoming more and more outlandish, JoJo doesn't have that idea of Power Levels. to the very end, Anasui is still Diving Down, Hermes is still making things into two, Jolyne is still turning into string. If you said Part 6 has fight fatigue because every goddamn second is some new bloody knock down drag out fight that feels like the world ending where Spiderman shows up, I'd totally agree. but no one here is Tien Shinhan

that's why i said im pretty sure what CJ meant. a hard reboot where Araki has a clean slate again is a good refreshing time after Part 5 and even moreso Part 6

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lmao

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I just assumed he meant that the new universe wouldn't have the baggage of the arrow, requiems, Dio's influence, stand virus, special words to create a new stand that is nigh invincible, all that jazz.

Instead, part 7 just had the meteorite land in North America instead of in Greenland or wherever it originally landed and instead of it being found later and used to create the arrows, it just created the Devil's Palm and shifted around America while granting powers to anyone nearby and Jesus got involve and decided to leave his body parts scattered to give people stands as well and also the power of the golden ratio gave birth to a new form of Neapolitan medicinal treatment and humane execution.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Also in part 6 it felt kind of weird seeing DIO in flashback form just because of how much the way characters are built kinda changed between part 3's huge musclemen to the more "muscular but lithe" body types in later parts.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Cross posting from the anime thread.

https://mobile.twitter.com/officialmcafee/status/1068213084702027778

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
If anything, I'd say McAfee is Lisa Lisa, because he also fled the country after killing a guy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wasn't Joseph happy to get out of India because he was a murder suspect after the Empress fight?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

CJ posted:

I know that, but i was also aware that part 7 was a reboot because the power creep in part 6 got out of hand so i decided to skip to that rather than dropping it entirely. It was a good decision since i liked part 7 and 8 except for Love Train.

user title checks out

go loving read part 6

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Condiv posted:

user title checks out

go loving read part 6

I've avoided reading it for 5 years, i can avoid it another 2 until the anime comes out.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
It's real good though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Read the manga now and experience in a whole new way when it's animated.

Reading part5 beforehand is giving me a lot more appreciation for the anime.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Triiiiiiiiiiiiiiish

E: Still Not-Diavolo Diavolo

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 30, 2018

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I forgot how much I loving love Aerosmith as a stand.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I think you mean Lil' Bomber.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Read the manga now and experience in a whole new way when it's animated.

Reading part5 beforehand is giving me a lot more appreciation for the anime.

counterpoint: having no actual idea what happens in part 5 and 6 is filling me with an animal thrill compared to parts 3 and 4

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Patware posted:

counterpoint: having no actual idea what happens in part 5 and 6 is filling me with an animal thrill compared to parts 3 and 4

Did you enjoy Narancia kicking the car while his stand shoots Formaggio?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'd forgotten some of Trish's characterization here (or maybe the anime changed it a bit?). I'd remembered her being a prissy spoiled brat at first and suddenly becoming a badass during the Notorious BIG fight, but her interactions with Narancia this episode show that she was a spoiled brat and a badass from the start.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I totally forgot Trish makes Fugo take his jacket off so she can dry her hands on it.

God, I love Trish.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
When I get home I'll post the page where Trish is making Mista sit down in a group shot so she can use him as a seat. She owns

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I always forget Trish is actually a thing. Does she heavily partake in any Stand fights after Notorious B.I.G is defeated?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

I always forget Trish is actually a thing. Does she heavily partake in any Stand fights after Notorious B.I.G is defeated?

Not really, although she gets a cool moment in the fight against Diavolo.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Mista: "Why the hell am I the chair?!"

I always loved how close Narancia came to murking Little Feet before the fight even really starts. Life in the JoJo verse would probably be a lot easier if more stand users just went all-in at the start like that instead of trying to draw things out.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 1, 2018

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

BaDandy posted:

All of DIO's kids are pretty overpowered, but my personal favorites of Part 6 are "Jolyne Gets Run Over by the Miami Dolphins" and "Where the gently caress is Mickey".

The best part is how one of Dio's son's backstories is literally just "He's Stanley Yelnats from Holes." And IIRC, this was written BEFORE the Shia LaBeouf movie, so Araki was just casually reading some American young-adult literature and decided to lift a plot element from it.

somepartsareme posted:

my worldview changed forever when i realized that while annasui is freaking out about mickey, he's reading a guidebook for universal studios, not disney

So, what you're saying is, Annasui should be saying "where the gently caress is Shrek!?"

Zerilan posted:

Also in part 6 it felt kind of weird seeing DIO in flashback form just because of how much the way characters are built kinda changed between part 3's huge musclemen to the more "muscular but lithe" body types in later parts.
Eh, you get used to it. It doesn't bother me as much with Dio, since we see Diego in the new style, and he's presumably physically identical to real Dio.

But there are some new-style drawings of old characters that I'm really not a fan of, and I just wish Araki would refrain from drawing now that he's evolved past his 80s brick-shithouse style:

What happened to Star Platinum's gains?

If anyone really should be drawn inhumanly huge like they came straight out of a Tom of Finland sketch, it should be Pillar Men.

Jonathan's fine, but here he kind of reminds me of that skinny kid who wears ill-fitting suits and reviews fast food..

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
honestly impressed no one has out right spoiled that Aerosmith gives Narancia a carbon dioxide detector and that's why he was tapped to go shopping so sincerely thanks guys

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

The best part is how one of Dio's son's backstories is literally just "He's Stanley Yelnats from Holes." And IIRC, this was written BEFORE the Shia LaBeouf movie, so Araki was just casually reading some American young-adult literature and decided to lift a plot element from it.

If Araki is gonna read any young-adult author, it had better be Louis Sachar because he loving rules and is weird as poo poo.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

to be fair it's easy enough to just deduce 'hey maybe the guy who can summon his own personal death drone can fend off people trailing him better than guy with a cool revolver, a guy who has to punch poo poo to separate it, weird new kid who makes animals or Literally Just an rear end in a top hat Version of Columbo'

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 3, 2018

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So, what you're saying is, Annasui should be saying "where the gently caress is Shrek!?"

Eh, you get used to it. It doesn't bother me as much with Dio, since we see Diego in the new style, and he's presumably physically identical to real Dio.

But there are some new-style drawings of old characters that I'm really not a fan of, and I just wish Araki would refrain from drawing now that he's evolved past his 80s brick-shithouse style:

What happened to Star Platinum's gains?

If anyone really should be drawn inhumanly huge like they came straight out of a Tom of Finland sketch, it should be Pillar Men.

Jonathan's fine, but here he kind of reminds me of that skinny kid who wears ill-fitting suits and reviews fast food..

It's like looking at one of those 80s vs. today pictures where the pro wrestler isn't on as many steroids

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wonder if Araki ever read any of the Alex Rider books

e: also idgaf what anybody says, I am convinced 150% Kars was sporting a prince albert because he is absolutely the kind of basic motherfucker who'd do that and be like "haha aren't I so cool"

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Dec 3, 2018

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Mista: "Why the hell am I the chair?!"

I always loved how close Narancia came to murking Little Feet before the fight even really starts. Life in the JoJo verse would probably be a lot easier if more stand users just went all-in at the start like that instead of trying to draw things out.

I mean Notorious B.I.G. is in this part so even that isnt absolute.

FirstAidKite posted:

e: also idgaf what anybody says, I am convinced 150% Kars was sporting a prince albert because he is absolutely the kind of basic motherfucker who'd do that and be like "haha aren't I so cool"

Jacob's Ladder for the Ultimate Lifeform or go home.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

FirstAidKite posted:

almost certainly.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

FirstAidKite posted:

He did the art for the Japanese release, so probably!

e: d'oh.

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 3, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jo Joestar posted:

He did the art for the Japanese release, so probably!

That was my reason for wondering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

that made me do some searching and now i know that araki drew naruto once and that's gonna take a while to process