Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hauki posted:

of course

and before anyone says it's more realistic this way, the game has no issue with you eating 50 entire steaks during the middle of a battle in power armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You mean you can't eat your entire weight in steaks? Weak man

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

and before anyone says it's more realistic this way, the game has no issue with you eating 50 entire steaks during the middle of a battle in power armor.

The height of realism is randomly taking damage while you walk around.

I was almost trapped on a bus by getting my feet tangled up with a skeleton, are you trying to tell me that isn't realistic?!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Ariong posted:

What is the intended utility of pacifist mode?

Is a protection for you, so you don't accidentally tag randows. But it hurts more than protect, so you are better of without it.

The pvp is fine tuned so pve people are not forced to pvp, and I think it achieve that. People that want that pvp still can have it, in small doses. But don't feel like the way to go.

Pacifist mode is just a piece of that puzzle.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Barometer posted:

The height of realism is randomly taking damage while you walk around.

I hate that because there are a bunch of minor traps on the ground, like little boards with nails in them, so sometimes you randomly take damage and there actually is a trap, but there also seems to be like multiple bugs where you take damage for absolutely no reason.

Also if an enemy is shooting and can't get line of sight every once in a while a bullet from the totally opposite direction will fly from no where to hit you, like they hard coded that no matter what if the enemies shoot that 1% of the bullets hit and if it can't figure out a way the bullets just materialize to somewhere it could have hit from.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I have accidentally shot at a person. I wanted to help them out but I didn't wait to see what target VATS would choose...

Luckily they ran away instead of firing back.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Tei posted:

Is a protection for you, so you don't accidentally tag randows. But it hurts more than protect, so you are better of without it.

The pvp is fine tuned so pve people are not forced to pvp, and I think it achieve that. People that want that pvp still can have it, in small doses. But don't feel like the way to go.

Pacifist mode is just a piece of that puzzle.

Well, I trust your criticism more than that of anyone here in the peanut gallery with me. Would you say that you are, overall, satisfied with the way PvP is implemented in the game? Because frankly I'm surprised they felt the need to implement it in the first place.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Drone_Fragger posted:

So is fallout 76 worth getting. I heard it sucks a huge quantity of poo poo but internet nerds also have terrible opinions so I don't know what to believe.

The consensus seems to have boiled down to:

If the gameplay loop of exploring and collecting toilet seats and beer bottles appeals to you, and/or you have friends to play with it's a relatively fun game with some serious problems.

IF NOT

It's a burnt piece of whatever is left over after a tire fire.

The consensus by everyone I'm pretty sure is it isn't worth $60 by any measure so make sure it's still on sale if you pick it up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I killed my first legendary. It had no legendary item on it. A fluke, or are legendaries different in this game than in 4?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

Well, I trust your criticism more than that of anyone here in the peanut gallery with me. Would you say that you are, overall, satisfied with the way PvP is implemented in the game? Because frankly I'm surprised they felt the need to implement it in the first place.

If the answer is anything but no its a horrible mess im gonna start laughing again

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Tei posted:

The pvp is fine tuned so pve people are not forced to pvp, and I think it achieve that.

Except for the part where you can't fast travel away from players if they decide to attack you and you don't want to pvp.

Which leads to a funny story: A few days ago, my wife jumps over to Vault 76 and waiting at the door or about half a dozen dudes in power armor, who immediately start attacking her. She can't fast travel away, and doesn't want to fight back, so her only option is to run. They follow, for a good 5 minutes of her attempting to just get the gently caress away, losing two of them in the process to the random mobs she leads them through and a car that explodes. Eventually, she just has to log out to get them to gently caress off.

Turns out, they were the group of assholes that got banned recently for being homophobic little shits and this happened that same day.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Fallom posted:

people who insist on saying "an" in front of an h sound are first up against the wall

reading that post made me feel "aneuristic"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!
When I heard this was a multiplayer game, I wondered how they were going to handle death and respawn. Fantasy games can get away with it because it's magic or whatever, and some science fiction games are like voowop! your clone is recalcitrated or whatever. But Fallout doesn't really have that, so I suppose everyone would have to be robots or some kind of clone thing.

But, uh, no, they just don't address it :\

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

It’s an honorable practice.

sometimes the h is silent, SOMETIMES IT IS NOT

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!

Rinkles posted:

I killed my first legendary. It had no legendary item on it. A fluke, or are legendaries different in this game than in 4?

I don't think it's on the corpse. I think when you kill it, it just appears in your inventory.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rinkles posted:

Absolutely a fluke

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Game just doesn't like me, I guess.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Rinkles posted:

Game just doesn't like me, I guess.

You have absolutely the worst luck. At this point it is pretty amazing to watch.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

From what I recall, Stick of Truth, Tyranny, Dungeon Siege 3 and Armored Warfare have all been relatively bug free. Kotor 2 was the result of LucasArts imploding and New Vegas had Bethesda's QA department do the final pass on New Vegas before shipping.

Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 were also solid. Tyranny had a few bugs but is nowhere near as bad as literally anything Bethesda has ever developed. I really don't get where Obsidian's reputation for buggy games comes from. Just one of those things I guess where if you repeat something enough it becomes accepted as true.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Gobblecoque posted:

Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 were also solid. Tyranny had a few bugs but is nowhere near as bad as literally anything Bethesda has ever developed. I really don't get where Obsidian's reputation for buggy games comes from. Just one of those things I guess where if you repeat something enough it becomes accepted as true.

The games they made that were actually 3d (with the possible exception of DS3) were all absolute disasters technically, to the point where they just gave up and made 2d games because no one in their right mind was going to keep funding the messes they were making.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

No.

The only game they've made that was a complete disaster technically was Alpha Protocol and they're pretty upfront about how mismanaged that project was.

I guess KOTOR 2 and New Vegas were a little buggy but they were using engines other companies developed and had VERY strict deadlines to complete them. It's not like they could sit down and spend three years fixing Gamebryo.

Edit: And Alpha Protocol was a mess. My favorite bug: if you reloaded a save in the middle of a level it could delete all the enemies. Pro speedrun strat right there.

Wicked Them Beats fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 3, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

credburn posted:

When I heard this was a multiplayer game, I wondered how they were going to handle death and respawn. Fantasy games can get away with it because it's magic or whatever, and some science fiction games are like voowop! your clone is recalcitrated or whatever. But Fallout doesn't really have that, so I suppose everyone would have to be robots or some kind of clone thing.

But, uh, no, they just don't address it :\

One of the biggest issues I had with Fallout 4 was magical weapons. You just find guns that do extra damage. It isn't the ammo, no, it's inherent to the weapon itself. That poo poo sucks bad.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I hate that because there are a bunch of minor traps on the ground, like little boards with nails in them, so sometimes you randomly take damage and there actually is a trap, but there also seems to be like multiple bugs where you take damage for absolutely no reason.

I hurt myself on my own board traps, which surprised me but I think it's reasonable. Usually when I take damage from...whatever...I'm out in the world where there shouldn't be any traps or anything. I know I used to take damage from kicking poo poo in F4 and or F3 so I assume it's just a hold over and my character is stubbing her toe on branches and pebbles.

Magmarashi posted:

Except for the part where you can't fast travel away from players if they decide to attack you and you don't want to pvp.

That's odd, while I had the wanted level, I was at the overseer's camp and someone in power armor showed up across the road and zapped me with some kind of energy gun that took off half my HP in one hit, so I put the large tree between us and fast traveled over to the New River Gorge bridge, hoping that just dying (I jumped off) would clear my bounty.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Wicked Them Beats posted:

No.

The only game they've made that was a complete disaster technically was Alpha Protocol and they're pretty upfront about how mismanaged that project was.

I guess KOTOR 2 and New Vegas were a little buggy but they were using engines other companies developed and had VERY strict deadlines to complete them. It's not like they could sit down and spend three years fixing Gamebryo.

Edit: And Alpha Protocol was a mess. My favorite bug: if you reloaded a save in the middle of a level it could delete all the enemies. Pro speedrun strat right there.

they also made NWN2 which was unbeatable at release, you literally couldn't progress past the first chapter. that's where i actually think the "obsidian games are buggy as gently caress" meme comes from.

none of their other games were every that bad at launch, and the bugs that were there were generally not game breaking, but the reputation sticks i guess.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mr Hootington posted:

From the notes and terminals I read the BoS fell first, but some held Fort Defience while a detachment did a running a battle to try to get to the Responders to warn then and get reinforcements. The Free Staters were mostly overwhelmed while the BoS were being worn away. Some of them made it to bunkers, but they had been collapsing mostly due to the Enclave agent killing and sabotaging to get to Blackwell. The way I understood it Abbie was one of the last holdouts about the same time the responders were getting destroyed.

I could be wrong and misreading. Doing stuff out of order confuses some of it.

The enclave agent didn't have to do any killing or sabotaging to find blackwell. After his daughter died to the scorch plague he went out to harpers ferry to help out and one day he noticed somebody just staring him down in the lunch line.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Roobanguy posted:

they also made NWN2 which was unbeatable at release, you literally couldn't progress past the first chapter. that's where i actually think the "obsidian games are buggy as gently caress" meme comes from.

none of their other games were every that bad at launch, and the bugs that were there were generally not game breaking, but the reputation sticks i guess.

And yet Obsidian is perpetually condemned for their bugs while Bethesda was forgiven multiple times and only now do they seem to be getting any major public and professional backlash for their lazy bugfixing practices.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Making it multiplayer means that your gaming is now both public and competitive, which means people are going to be a hell of a lot less forgiving when a bug fucks them over

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

apparently a tale of two wastelands got a huge, biggum update today.

welp.

i'm off to the fallout mod thread :tipshat:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Wicked Them Beats posted:

New Vegas was and remains an absolutely buggy piece of crap even compared to the other Bethesda Fallouts. KOTOR 2 shipped with the entire third act missing, and many scripting bugs that could completely wreck your game by blocking story progress.

I think people forget how bad those games were at launch.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

New Vegas was and remains an absolutely buggy piece of crap even compared to the other Bethesda Fallouts. KOTOR 2 shipped with the entire third act missing, and many scripting bugs that could completely wreck your game by blocking story progress.

fo3, even after patches, was buggier than nv was on release.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arcsquad12 posted:

And yet Obsidian is perpetually condemned for their bugs while Bethesda was forgiven multiple times and only now do they seem to be getting any major public and professional backlash for their lazy bugfixing practices.

Bugs on one hand, are janky quirks and add flavor to the "wasteland".

Bugs on the other hand, are proof actually NV is not the better Fallout game. TODD UBER ALLES.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

KakerMix posted:

One of the biggest issues I had with Fallout 4 was magical weapons. You just find guns that do extra damage. It isn't the ammo, no, it's inherent to the weapon itself. That poo poo sucks bad.

Of all FO4s issues THIS is the hill you decide to die on? :confused:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Ariong posted:

Well, I trust your criticism more than that of anyone here in the peanut gallery with me.

You shouldn't.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Cease to Hope posted:

Everyone seems to live out that Bethesda demand they do the QA themselves so they are the ones that let the bugs slip through.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

New Vegas was and remains an absolutely buggy piece of crap even compared to the other Bethesda Fallouts.

lmao what universe are you posting from, because it's not this one. NV had a bunch of screwball bugs on release and then for a long time has been completely fine for the most part.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

K8.0 posted:

The games they made that were actually 3d (with the possible exception of DS3) were all absolute disasters technically, to the point where they just gave up and made 2d games because no one in their right mind was going to keep funding the messes they were making.

Which ones? New Vegas wasn't any more buggy than any other Bethesda release and just about all of its technical problems were a result of trying to wrangle Bethesda's mess of code and Bethesda pretty much deciding to poo poo the bed on QA. KOTOR2 had a lot of cut content due to LucasArts sucking but what was there was perfectly stable. And somehow, despite them dealing with hilariously bad publishers, both NV and KOTOR2 were still way better than Fallout 3 and KOTOR1.

Also, trying to poo poo on, like, any other company for technical failures in the Fallout 76 thread is some amazingly funny irony.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

lmao what universe are you posting from, because it's not this one. NV had a bunch of screwball bugs on release and then for a long time has been completely fine for the most part.

Yeah the only crashing I've had from a new playthrough is the anti stutter loving up because of Win 10 and you just have to edit an ini file to fix it. Sure beats the days of Anti Aliasing breaking the graphics at release or the Honest Hearts companion not being tagged essential and getting turned to mulch at the beginning, loving up the dlc irrevocably.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Gobblecoque posted:

Which ones? New Vegas wasn't any more buggy than any other Bethesda release and just about all of its technical problems were a result of trying to wrangle Bethesda's mess of code and Bethesda pretty much deciding to poo poo the bed on QA. KOTOR2 had a lot of cut content due to LucasArts sucking but what was there was perfectly stable. And somehow, despite them dealing with hilariously bad publishers, both NV and KOTOR2 were still way better than Fallout 3 and KOTOR1.

Also, trying to poo poo on, like, any other company for technical failures in the Fallout 76 thread is some amazingly funny irony.

Kotor 2 didn't have you get the lightsaber for like over half the drat game and even then it was just a rehash of the first game.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
i don't really see why defending every really terrible obsidian release is necessary to criticize bethesda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

Kotor 2 didn't have you get the lightsaber for like over half the drat game

Hence why it's good, Star Wars is more interesting without glowy swordmans.