Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Enigma posted:

Wild Turkey 101

Yeah if you can find it for that price, this is an amazing whiskey both alone and mixing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I’m looking for the best bottles you can get for under $20. Any style of whiskey but no scotch. Rebel Yell and Black Velvet Reserve have been a long time go to for me but I’m looking to branch out.

If you can swing $25 for Evan Williams Single Barrel, I have been reaching for that often, even preferring it over some $80+ bottles.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yuns posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. My local shop has EC Barrel Proof for just under $60.

That's the MSRP, which is a great deal. Enjoy!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I’m looking for the best bottles you can get for under $20.

Check OP.
The correct answer is Fighting Cock.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Old smugglers! It comes in a can!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lowness 72 posted:

Old smugglers! It comes in a can!

Wait, what?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Aw poo poo that's scotch isn't it. Don't drink old smugglers.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lowness 72 posted:

Aw poo poo that's scotch isn't it. Don't drink old smugglers.

Does it actually come in a can?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I’m looking for the best bottles you can get for under $20. Any style of whiskey but no scotch. Rebel Yell and Black Velvet Reserve have been a long time go to for me but I’m looking to branch out.

Old grand dad bottled in bond!

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Recommendations on a good bottle of rye for a holiday gift? I thought about Pikesville since I believe the recipient likes Rittenhouse, but not sure what other options to consider.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Evan Williams' offerings rule this price range, along with Overholt for rye. Other worthwhile bottles in this range are Old Forester, Old Grand Dad, Canadian Club (though for some reason this is love-it-or-hate-it), and some more obscure gems like Mellow Corn and Kentucky Tavern.

Evan Williams White or 1743 is my go-to for quick-and-dirty sours, bourbon and coke, etc., and it's not like it's bad in an Old Fashioned when you forget that you ran out of rye. Just cut down on the sugar, because all the good stuff in this price range is sweet and flabby.

Enigma posted:

I think there's a bourbon floating out there that has both rye and wheat.
I think Canadian Club's policy towards whiskey ingredients is "Sorry! Did you want to be in our whiskey? Sure!"

everythingWasBees posted:

So beer's been my drink of choice for a while, but due to medical reasons I can't drink non-distilled alcohol without being sick as a dog, so I figure it's about time for me to branch out.
For a college student who's willing to spend a bit but is obviously hesitant to spend much, especially on something new, what would you recommend? My favorite flavors from beer are these deep fruity flavors that I guess are the "sherry-like/port-like" flavors in barleywines and darker trappist beers, and so if there's an equivalent in Whisky I'd be interested.
Man, there are definitely some whiskeys with fruity and winy notes, but they're mostly scotches that start around $40, Glenmorangie being my favourite.

If you enjoy the body and spicy, earthy flavours of whiskey but you also like floral and fruit flavour...have you considered rum? Rum is a really diverse and underrated spirit, and you can try a whole lot of really good bottles under $30 apiece. Consider Pusser's British Navy Rum, Appleton, and Coruba if you can find it.

(And if you like those, other good cheap dark rums are Gosling's, Myers, and Cruzan Black Strap. But those are dark rums heavy on the molasses and to a lesser extent, vanilla. I'd recommend those to a fan of stouts before I'd recommend them to a fan of barleywine.)

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 1, 2018

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Stopped in my local shop and they just got in a couple bottles of Elijah Craig 18. Price?

$115 :stare:. Yes please! My boss just bought a bottle about three weeks ago for $150. I've seen them go on secondary for $200, I'm hoping I can parlay it into a few tougher to find cheaper bottles.

I've been trying to find a bottle of blanton's for awhile, what's everyone else's favorites in the ~$50 range?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mentalcontempt posted:

Recommendations on a good bottle of rye for a holiday gift? I thought about Pikesville since I believe the recipient likes Rittenhouse, but not sure what other options to consider.

Pikesville is a great choice. Rendezvous Rye if you want to go for the big, spicy rye mashbill (95% versus 51% for Pikesville).

Unfortunately there aren't a ton of readily-available premium rye options (other than the craft poo poo that's not worth a drat or the unobtainable limited release bottles).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Halloween Jack posted:

Man, there are definitely some whiskeys with fruity and winy notes, but they're mostly scotches that start around $40, Glenmorangie being my favourite.

If you enjoy the body and spicy, earthy flavours of whiskey but you also like floral and fruit flavour...have you considered rum? Rum is a really diverse and underrated spirit, and you can try a whole lot of really good bottles under $30 apiece. Consider Pusser's British Navy Rum, Appleton, and Coruba if you can find it.

(And if you like those, other good cheap dark rums are Gosling's, Myers, and Cruzan Black Strap. But those are dark rums heavy on the molasses and to a lesser extent, vanilla. I'd recommend those to a fan of stouts before I'd recommend them to a fan of barleywine.)

Alberta Premium Dark Horse could also fit the bill, I think, if you want to stick in the realm of affordable whisky.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Vox Nihili posted:

That's the MSRP, which is a great deal. Enjoy!
I bought the last bottle of ECBP they had. I thought it was the 2018 C918 but when I looked at the bottle it turned out to be the last of the 2017 C917. Not sure what the differences are in those.

edit: Just had small taste of the ECBP 2017 C917 (0.6 fl oz). It was very good. Surprisingly drinkable undiluted at 131 proof and really really pleasant with some nice sweetness. Thanks for the recommendation Vox!

Yuns fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 1, 2018

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Is Johnny Walker Black Label suppose to taste like burnt rubber or did I buy a bad bottle?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Odd Mutant posted:

Is Johnny Walker Black Label suppose to taste like burnt rubber or did I buy a bad bottle?

Sounds like a bad bottle.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DoctaFun posted:

Stopped in my local shop and they just got in a couple bottles of Elijah Craig 18. Price?

$115 :stare:. Yes please! My boss just bought a bottle about three weeks ago for $150. I've seen them go on secondary for $200, I'm hoping I can parlay it into a few tougher to find cheaper bottles.

LOL. People are absurd. EC18 isn't even very good.

edit; not a dig at you, just the crazy prices people will pay.

wormil fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 2, 2018

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I'm a cheap, cheap man and picked up some Old Overholt and Four Roses today. Overholt is only the second rye I've ever had.

Cheap is probably best for me in the Winter. I mostly just mix my booze with hot drinks this time of year.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

chitoryu12 posted:

Sounds like a bad bottle.

Yeah I think it is. I've had it before and my memory tells me it was sweet and oily and smooth while this was rancid and rubbery.

Well poo poo, what can you do with bad whisky aside from pouring it down the drain?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Odd Mutant posted:

Yeah I think it is. I've had it before and my memory tells me it was sweet and oily and smooth while this was rancid and rubbery.

Well poo poo, what can you do with bad whisky aside from pouring it down the drain?

Get drunk on something else before drinking it.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Was on the fence but Wild Turkey Rare Breed is very nice. One of the few Thanksgiving leftovers I'm happy with.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

How would a bad bottle happen for whisky? Especially a blended whisky.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

zmcnulty posted:

How would a bad bottle happen for whisky? Especially a blended whisky.

It usually happens with bottles that have a natural cork - bacteria sets in the corkwood and produces chemicals that then get into the whiskey and give it some really off flavors. Unfortunately, these chemicals are detectable at the parts-per-billion level so just the tiniest amount will foul the whole bottle.

It's usually the result of the bottle not having been inverted prior to packaging. On most modern bottling lines, the bottle gets turned upside down at some point, and the whiskey will sterilize the cork (in most cases). Doesn't always happen, and sometimes the bacteria is deep enough in the cork that even inversion doesn't do the trick.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yuns posted:

I bought the last bottle of ECBP they had. I thought it was the 2018 C918 but when I looked at the bottle it turned out to be the last of the 2017 C917. Not sure what the differences are in those.

edit: Just had small taste of the ECBP 2017 C917 (0.6 fl oz). It was very good. Surprisingly drinkable undiluted at 131 proof and really really pleasant with some nice sweetness. Thanks for the recommendation Vox!

I have a bottle from this batch as well. It's a good one. Some of the older batches are even better, but thankfully they haven't fallen off too badly.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Weltlich posted:

It usually happens with bottles that have a natural cork - bacteria sets in the corkwood and produces chemicals that then get into the whiskey and give it some really off flavors. Unfortunately, these chemicals are detectable at the parts-per-billion level so just the tiniest amount will foul the whole bottle.

It's usually the result of the bottle not having been inverted prior to packaging. On most modern bottling lines, the bottle gets turned upside down at some point, and the whiskey will sterilize the cork (in most cases). Doesn't always happen, and sometimes the bacteria is deep enough in the cork that even inversion doesn't do the trick.

I guess a cork with bacteria would do it! In this particular case though isn't Johnnie Walker Black using a screwcap? I'm just having trouble imagining a scenario that affects a single bottle. I could see a bad run or even a bad cask happening, but either of those should/would have been picked up by the blender. Granted it's Johnnie Walker Black so they probably have a whole army of blenders or whisky tasting robots or something, and I suppose one of them could have had an off day. But in that case, wouldn't this impact thousands upon thousands of bottles?

I don't know where Odd Mutant is posting from but if it were China or India or something I could see counterfeit being a thing. Then again I doubt criminals would bother counterfeiting Black label.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Vox Nihili posted:

I have a bottle from this batch as well. It's a good one. Some of the older batches are even better, but thankfully they haven't fallen off too badly.
Just sampled the ECBP C917 back to back with the Woodford Batch Proof and Knob Creek Single Barrel. All three were really good. I would rank them as ECBP first then KC then WF. KC is the easiest drinking of the 3 and has this great unctuous quality to the mouthfeel. I could easily see myself putting away a lot of it. But ECBP is probably the best tasting. I don't have the experience or vocabulary to describe it but it just seems more complex and interesting than the KC as well as more intense. WF is really good too but not as easy drinking as the KC and not as tasty as the ECBP. Sorry that I don't have the vocabulary to describe the nose, palate and finish properly.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Old Overholt has a hint of that weird wet cardboard flavor that Fleischmann's has, but only just a hint. Other than that, it's pretty flavorless but a lot smoother than I expected. Fine for mixing I guess.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I recently picked up a bottle of Old Overholt Bonded on a whim, and was impressed. Puts some fire on your palate but isn't harsh.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I recently picked up a bottle of Old Overholt Bonded on a whim, and was impressed. Puts some fire on your palate but isn't harsh.

yeah for being like $12 it's pretty alright

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Recommendations for some very simple recipes for hot whiskey based drinks?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
A toddy is just whiskey or rum, a bit of lemon juice, and a bit of honey topped off with hot water. You can use tea instead of water, and you can add bitters, but the basic recipe is extremely simple.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

nervana posted:

Hot buttered rum imo

Hauki
May 11, 2010

nervana posted:

spankmeister posted:

Hot buttered rum imo

:thunk:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I stand by my suggestion :colbert:

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Whiskey + coffee.

I guess add cream if you are overly attached to your stomach lining.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
This is a variation on a hot-buttered rum that I call "The Ottoman", but it will work just as well with whiskey. It is complex, and you'll need a stand mixer to make the batter, but once that's made you can put it in the freezer and it'll keep for a long time.

Step 1: The Batter

1 Stick Butter, softened
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup raw honey
1/4 cup vanilla gelato (or ice cream)
1 Tablespoon ground Ceylon Cinnamon
1 Tablespoon ground Allspice
1 teaspoon ground Grain of Paradise (or black pepper if you can't find it)

Toss this into a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and cream the butter, syrup, brown sugar, gelato and honey together. Just before they're totally well mixed, put in the spices. When it's all done, pack it firmly into a pint mason jar and toss it in the freezer.

Step 2: The Drink

"The Ottoman"
2oz Whiskey or Rum
1 Tbs of the batter
Hot Coffee or Tea - almost boiling
Hot water - almost boiling
Fresh nutmeg and a grater.
Either a Turkish style tea glass (If you've got it), a glass tea cup, or a mug.

Into the glass pour, 4 oz of hot water and swish it around, then discard. (This pre-heats the glass so the drink doesn't get cold while mixing)
Place a TBS of batter into the glass, and pour 2oz of hot Coffee or Tea on it. Whip it with a small fork or spoon until it's frothy.
Pour two ounces of whiskey or rum into the drink. Whip it again until well mixed.
Pour one ounce of Coffee or Tea to top the glass up.
Garnish with fresh grated nutmeg.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Halloween Jack posted:

A toddy is just whiskey or rum, a bit of lemon juice, and a bit of honey topped off with hot water. You can use tea instead of water, and you can add bitters, but the basic recipe is extremely simple.

I use tea and skip the lemon juice whenever I have a cold. Don't know if it works, but also don't care much.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Anyone been following this kerfluffle about Bourbon 30 and their ‘Butterface’ blend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

nervana posted:

Double Toddy
Whisky (I prefer a peaty one for this, Bowmore 12 is good), Drambuie, Honey, Lemon Juice, Hot Water

This spiciness of the Drambuie adds some interest here.

My go to when I have a cold. Probably wouldn't bother with it when not full of snot.