Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Oh yeah, I could do it financially nowadays, just have to make time for it. Those short distance flights are also kind of environmentally wasteful.

AlexanderCA fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

When I was 14 I for the first time went from the flatlands to Alberta for a scout jamboree. I saw the mountains on the horizon and thought they looked like clouds. When the weather cleared up a few days later I saw what Tolkien was on about

Covert Shores did a post on the extra large drone submarine the USN is working on

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

AlexanderCA posted:

Oh yeah, I could do it financially nowadays, just have to make time for it. Those short distance flights are also kind of environmentally wasteful.

If you’ve seen that little take a train to Italy somewhere. Book it so you have a lay over in Switzerland. If you do it a couple months in advance the prices are pretty decent. Spend the whole time looking out the windows

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Thats actually a great idea. Might do that once I've finished my courses and started my graduation project in spring.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Cyrano4747 posted:

Spend the whole time looking out the windows

Are there people who don't ride trains this way? Heck, I used to be glued to the window on the NYC subway.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Nebakenezzer posted:

When I was 14 I for the first time went from the flatlands to Alberta for a scout jamboree. I saw the mountains on the horizon and thought they looked like clouds. When the weather cleared up a few days later I saw what Tolkien was on about
I had kinda an opposite reaction to all of these. I grew up in SW Washington, and spent a week or two visiting a friend up in Alaska a few years ago. It was properly wondrous, looking at this marvelous new place, and then one morning I was sitting on his porch and realized "Wait, this view is basically the same as I could see from my porch back home. Mountain over there, medium-large trees, little bit of scrub in between." and all the wonder seeped out.

On the other hand, my mother, who also grew up in Western Washington, told me about traveling through the Texas desert with her sisters and being off-put by the emptiness. Then they stopped at a gas station and mentioned this to the attendant, who said something like "Yep, isn't it marvelous? And not a tree to block the view for miles."

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

darthbob88 posted:

I had kinda an opposite reaction to all of these. I grew up in SW Washington, and spent a week or two visiting a friend up in Alaska a few years ago. It was properly wondrous, looking at this marvelous new place, and then one morning I was sitting on his porch and realized "Wait, this view is basically the same as I could see from my porch back home. Mountain over there, medium-large trees, little bit of scrub in between." and all the wonder seeped out.

On the other hand, my mother, who also grew up in Western Washington, told me about traveling through the Texas desert with her sisters and being off-put by the emptiness. Then they stopped at a gas station and mentioned this to the attendant, who said something like "Yep, isn't it marvelous? And not a tree to block the view for miles."

I grew up in the flattest part of ND. Going into Minnesota or out east in Nova Scotia all the trees feel like I'm being suffocated. Give me big sky and open plains.

The mountains ruining the view is a great joke.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
My wife is from rural ND, but she went to college in Arizona. The combination of culture shift and change of scenery was very jarring for her. Her classmates thought she was from a foreign country because of her accent.

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 3, 2018

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Nebakenezzer posted:

Covert Shores did a post on the extra large drone submarine the USN is working on

You're saying you realized what he was talking about?

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

darthbob88 posted:

Yeah, this whole mountain thing, once you are used to it, tends to look the same. Cascadia is beautiful but monotonous in its own way.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I’m from the PNW as well and feel uneasy when in an area without trees.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Coldwar timewarp posted:

My father had a decent joke that mountains “ruined the view”. Grew up in Vancouver-ish. I guess it wasn’t as scenic as Sheffield.

Hideous. The skiing is likewise awful. The public transit is wretched and it's a miserable place to live. I'm absolutely not hoping to get to a point where I can divide my time between Vancouver and Seattle on a more or less equal basis.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Alaan posted:

A friend that used to live here brought her Pennsylvania boyfriend to visit us. He was incredibly uneasy about the lack of hills out here.

My boyfriend from Philadelphia complains weekly about the flatness of Chicago.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I did a big road trip from Orlando to LA to Philadelphia and back. The empty parts of Texas and Utah that I drove through were unnerving in how desolate they were. It's not just the sheer vastness of miles and miles of empty space, but also the lack of cell signal and any signs of civilization outside of other cars on the interstate. You could bury a body within sight of the road and nobody would find it for years.

And Utah just can't seem to make up its goddamn mind. You go from prairies to mountains to canyons to flat desert to gigantic rock formations all in 4 hours. It's like you're playing D&D and the DM hasn't prepared the map so he's just randomly describing whatever geographical features come to mind as your characters travel.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

StandardVC10 posted:

Are there people who don't ride trains this way? Heck, I used to be glued to the window on the NYC subway.

Depends, I've taken the train to Malmö or Stockholm enough times to just kinda know what's along the routes. Beyond those points I'd be looking around a lot more.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

chitoryu12 posted:

I did a big road trip from Orlando to LA to Philadelphia and back. The empty parts of Texas and Utah that I drove through were unnerving in how desolate they were. It's not just the sheer vastness of miles and miles of empty space, but also the lack of cell signal and any signs of civilization outside of other cars on the interstate. You could bury a body within sight of the road and nobody would find it for years.

The drive to Lubbock is brutal.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

PhotoKirk posted:

The drive to Lubbock is brutal.

I did Oklahoma City to Santa Fe and back in a day and yeah the stretches of Western Oklahoma through the Texas panhandle are just loving desolate and boring.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you’ve seen that little take a train to Italy somewhere. Book it so you have a lay over in Switzerland. If you do it a couple months in advance the prices are pretty decent. Spend the whole time looking out the windows

I've done that. My brother and I played "spot the castle" on our trip from Graz, Austria to Florence. We wound up losing count.

chitoryu12 posted:

I've experienced this in the North, on large stretches of the Al-Can highway and in northern BC. The darkness outside of Whitehorse in October was one of the most deeply frightening things I have ever encountered. With no ambient light from anywhere but your headlights, it swallows absolutely everything.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 3, 2018

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Guest2553 posted:

I have about 1000 hours as mission crew in a white body aircraft with no windows, most of it while flying backwards, and never threw up.

I have ~16 hours as a passenger on a C-5 facing backwards and everyone threw up. We were refueling in a storm over the Atlantic and the pilot was saying encouraging things like, "Okay, we're going to try this one more time...".

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Murgos posted:

I have ~16 hours as a passenger on a C-5 facing backwards and everyone threw up. We were refueling in a storm over the Atlantic and the pilot was saying encouraging things like, "Okay, we're going to try this one more time...".

What's the implied "or" in that sentence meant to be: "Chuck out the seats and pray we make Reykjavik"?

E: I mean, "Keflavík" strictly speaking, but you know.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 3, 2018

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

What's the implied "or" in that sentence meant to be: "Chuck out the seats and pray we make Reykjavik"?

E: I mean, "Keflavík" strictly speaking, but you know.

It wasn't clear. He was very open about the fact that they were buffeting too much to hook up and that it was using a lot of the remaining fuel on each attempt.

I've always assumed that there was some contingency like 'Open the rear ramp and slide 150 tons of equipment out the back and we'll be fine for some field somewhere'.

I have no idea if that was feasible but everything was loaded on sliding pallets so I assume so.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Murgos posted:

I have no idea if that was feasible but everything was loaded on sliding pallets so I assume so.

Knowing my luck, I'd mention it only to volunteer myself for "weight reduction".

Major Kong a pallet of reflective belts
into a herd of karakul sheep; the most sticky, fluffy (and safely visible) way to go. Like a bloody disco dust-bunny.

e: whoa there, AwfulApp formatting!
ee: gently caress that, I'm leaving it.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

madeintaipei posted:

Knowing my luck, I'd mention it only to volunteer myself for "weight reduction".

Major Kong a pallet of reflective belts
into a herd of karakul sheep; the most sticky, fluffy (and safely visible) way to go. Like a bloody disco dust-bunny.

e: whoa there, AwfulApp formatting!
ee: gently caress that, I'm leaving it.

Uunnfff, dat fat tail.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Nebakenezzer posted:

About every 10th time someone here in Calgary learns I am from Ontario, they assume I live in Toronto and usually say something like, "Isn't it nice to be able to experience nature now?" I usually tell them that I was up to my neck in nature (living on Manitoulin Island) but they say, "but we have these mountains". It's sort of like saying your yard is awesome because your neighbour on the next block has a pool.

AlexanderCA posted:

Those short distance flights are also kind of environmentally wasteful.

You think short-haul is bad? Back when my mother used to have a C-172 we'd hop in it and fly 15 minutes for fish and chips.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Schadenboner posted:

You're saying you realized what he was talking about?

More the poetry he uses, less "landscapes can be pointy and high"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

chitoryu12 posted:

Years ago now, I drove through Northern Ontario, and it is similar, except flat and stuffed with trees. One highway through it remains busy; the other roads people speed through so they can get to where they are going before darkness falls and the animals come out

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Was reading the blog of a mountain search and rescue guy who found the bodies of the Death Valley Germans, and am now on to reading his search for an A-12 that crashed just outside of Groom Lake, figured this crew would enjoy: http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/area-51-and-other-strange-places/bluefire-main/bluefire/the-hunt-for-928/

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

PittTheElder posted:

Was reading the blog of a mountain search and rescue guy who found the bodies of the Death Valley Germans, and am now on to reading his search for an A-12 that crashed just outside of Groom Lake, figured this crew would enjoy: http://www.otherhand.org/home-page/area-51-and-other-strange-places/bluefire-main/bluefire/the-hunt-for-928/

That's a great blog. I've tried to duplicate his work using Google maps but I wasn't able to find anything.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
An article about that Canadian Navy Banshee that was lost off of Mayport FL.

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/l...HihbUaSem90WW6c

Zach's new nickname at work is "Astute Park Ranger". Which is great because he's a huuiuuuuggeee slacker in the office. Great out in the field though.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Fearless posted:

I've done that. My brother and I played "spot the castle" on our trip from Graz, Austria to Florence. We wound up losing count.

I've experienced this in the North, on large stretches of the Al-Can highway and in northern BC. The darkness outside of Whitehorse in October was one of the most deeply frightening things I have ever encountered. With no ambient light from anywhere but your headlights, it swallows absolutely everything.

The drive north from Williamsport PA to Corning NY is the absolute darkest most desolate place I've ever experienced in the eastern US and that's from someone who's got family all over WV and lives in the empty part of the Carolinas

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

AlexanderCA posted:

I've lived in the Netherlands all my life and never have been farther than Paris or London. I am now 31 years old and I have never even seen a mountain.
I am Austrian, visited the Netherlands when I was 32. Blew my mind that - aside of standing on a levee - I never could see further than to the next tree belt, only blue sky beyond.
Funny how all that open blue sky actually felt restricting.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Cold War angle: Having the Army move your family in alternating 2-year and 1-year tours for your whole childhood makes it hard for any particular location to seem out of place. Still partial to trees and topography, though.

Staying in one place long enough to experience other people or especially other people's children change age has been the freaky weird brain bending thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MrYenko posted:

Florida Man: What are these “hills” you speak of?

I'm a Florida native. What I find the most disorienting about traveling outside of Florida isn't the hills, it's the lack of water. In Florida, there's water everywhere - retention ponds, natural ponds, rivers and creeks and streams and lakes and ocean and marshes everywhere.

Living here, you don't think about just how much water there is everywhere in Florida until you visit someplace else.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Growing up in Norway, there's been trees and/or mountains restricting most of my view for most of my life. Don't think I've ever seen actual "big-rear end flatland as far as the eye can see" ever. Closest I guess would be looking out across the bona fide open seas, either from shore or ship. Mind, in Norway that rarely happens, on account of fjords being a thing, but I've crossed off the Atlantic, the Med and the Pacific so far. They all pretty much look the same. Flat, unnatural and weird.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Pursesnatcher posted:

Flat, unnatural and weird.

You're describing Florida.

Pursesnatcher
Oct 23, 2016

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

And I'd very much like to visit.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pursesnatcher posted:

Growing up in Norway, there's been trees and/or mountains restricting most of my view for most of my life. Don't think I've ever seen actual "big-rear end flatland as far as the eye can see" ever. Closest I guess would be looking out across the bona fide open seas, either from shore or ship. Mind, in Norway that rarely happens, on account of fjords being a thing, but I've crossed off the Atlantic, the Med and the Pacific so far. They all pretty much look the same. Flat, unnatural and weird.

Come to Calgary, Alberta some day (don't actually, go to Florida). You can look one way and see the soaring Rockies, then turn 180 degrees and see a treeless nothing extending for thousands of kilometers. With a two hour drive you can be in the middle of either one.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Yeah, but on the other hand

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
Car chat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQYlPRXEeKY

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, but on the other hand

Yeah, we get some pretty awesome sunsets here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
On the topic of A-12s, I had dinner with this one tonight.