Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The cute bunnies you blow the fuzz off are my favorites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

CYBEReris posted:

A clean boy

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

CYBEReris posted:

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
If Toby gets enough help with animations/graphics he could have more of the interactive ACTs.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I really like Second Narrator's orchestral arrangements, and it looks like he's started doing some for Deltarune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gQP8HSwACA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-RYeNgGPeg

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 30, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Dear Toby Fox: Please make a shirt that says "i can be your angle or yuor jevil"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
make one of those whole-shirt shirts of That One Lancer Face

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

The difficult part with ACTs like Bloxxors is that it can get incredibly tedious and boring if you have to fight a lot of them and would prefer just a quick dialogue ACT instead. I mean, it's hilarious the first, second, third time, but when you're on 4+ it can get a bit ehh.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think in the full game the solution to that would be to exploit the party-member ACTs. E.g. getting the right party member could mean you get an expedited or alternative way to resolve those fight.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Captain Invictus posted:

make one of those whole-shirt shirts

What?

Fangz posted:

I think in the full game the solution to that would be to exploit the party-member ACTs. E.g. getting the right party member could mean you get an expedited or alternative way to resolve those fight.

Party composition would be an interesting challenge. Adds a lot of potential content creation though.

Anyway, we’re years off from any more game, so I’ll just check in later...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the t-shirts where instead of like a centered logo it's the entire thing as a face or whatever

like this horrifying thing that was in the first results when looking for an example and now you have to suffer too

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
On the other hand, Bloxxer can be solved one turn, while the more memorable acts like out-Flexing Aaron take a good bit longer.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It is interesting that Flee has been removed from the game, I wonder if it will be added back in.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
If it is, Susie should drag you back into the encounter to Fight or Act.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Found this while looking for World Revolving remixes lol

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Found this while looking for World Revolving remixes lol

Would it be the virgin Gaster, the virgin Chara, or the virgin sans?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Sans isn't a virgin, ask your mom

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://youtu.be/0jI5X0YazkM

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Electric Phantasm posted:

Would it be the virgin Gaster, the virgin Chara, or the virgin sans?

Well, Jevil is the secret optional boss, so I'm pretty sure the virgin counterpart would have to be So Sorry.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Maybe fleeing will be tied to a party role we don't have yet. Like a thief. Or an archer. Or a skittish deer.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Turpitude II posted:

Well, Jevil is the secret optional boss, so I'm pretty sure the virgin counterpart would have to be So Sorry.

God, I hope So Sorry shows up at some point in Deltarune. And Muffet doesn't.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oxxidation posted:

same, really, for much the same reasons

It certainly wasn't bad but even by the end of the demo it was starting to wear thin. The enemies don't have a lot of personality even compared to the critters in the Ruins and the first half of the demo relies heavily on Susie's berserker gimmick, which concerns me a bit as to how Pacifist players can leverage her going forward. There are new additions like banking TP, the Touhou grazing mechanic, and making every healing item a potential rez that are all great and improve the minute-to-minute gameplay a lot, but some of the essential personality has been lost.

I mean, how much options did you have for ACTing in the Ruins in Undertale? This is just the first bit of the game. Presumably there'll be more complex interactions down the pipe.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

21 Muns posted:

God, I hope So Sorry shows up at some point in Deltarune. And Muffet doesn't.
do you have the worst possible taste in Undertale characters or what

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLkRPIKtJ1Q

The Smoothest McGroovest Deltarunest track.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

W.T. Fits posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLkRPIKtJ1Q

The Smoothest McGroovest Deltarunest track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxX4QwQLT1w

edit: Really only about the first minute is worth watching

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha2wi_2yw2g

Second narrator just did world revolving, interesting take. I like it

Edit: lmao my friend me just linked me these

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Dec 1, 2018

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha2wi_2yw2g

Second narrator just did world revolving, interesting take. I like it

Edit: lmao my friend me just linked me these

Feels almost like a different song like that.

Also, lol.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Is it possible to reverse engineer game maker games? Some friends of mine want to make a hack of Undertale. I don't think Toby would mind since he's made a lot of hacks himself

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Question Friend posted:

Is it possible to reverse engineer game maker games? Some friends of mine want to make a hack of Undertale. I don't think Toby would mind since he's made a lot of hacks himself

You used to be able to decompile the undertale demo and load it back up in game maker, but then the full version of undertale used an updated version of game maker that stopped that exploit. I think most fanworks have just used fanmade copies of the game engine since its not that complex.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

It's technically possible but way harder than it used to be to reverse engineer Game Maker games. There might be decompilers specific to the version of the engine Undertale uses floating around somewhere and if your friends are experienced making their own tools like with any game should be possible.

Even if you get a debugger working it's probably easier to note variable behaviors and use that to spin up an authentic-feeling fangame.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Smooth McGrooveth hath singeth the best songeth in the game

Mr_Peaches
May 8, 2016
Loved reading through this thread and all the cool theories / art.

Thinking about the theory that the player in Deltarune is possessing Kris has unexpectedly got me thinking hard about the way that I engage with media. If Deltarune went forward with that theme, I'm thinking about what it would mean for me to play - or not play - the game.

For context, I'm a huge Undertale mark and a marshmallow person - Pacifist all the way, haven't played since I got the True Pacifist ending. Then watched the Genocide run on Youtube because I had to know what happened and wanted to pretend my hands were still clean.

As a marshmallow, when I suspend my disbelief and play a game, I want to be a good guy and a big hero and make everything sunshine and kitten grins. But if Deltarune uses the framework of player-as-invader, then I can't engage with the game that way. Even if you played like a saint, you're still robbing Kris of their "free will," which is inherently monstrous, and who is the player to get involved in the first place?

None of these are complaints. This is bringing up lots of weird feelings and making me consider the way I look at fiction as a whole. If Deltarune goes the player-as-possessor route, I can't help but think that in the fictional context of the game I'd have to be some sort of parasite, co-opting characters and "free will" in an effort to experience more of this world, these characters, removing autonomy from Kris in continuing service of perverted sentimentality.

Was any of that cogent or do I just sound nuts?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It'd be interesting if the most positive way to play Deltarune would be to not play it.

Buuut, I'm mainly hoping for a very satisfying playthrough where I solve most everyone's problems, especially Kris's.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing Final Fantasy XIV and I just heard a familiar tune :dogcited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHJdlmOQl6A

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

davidspackage posted:

It'd be interesting if the most positive way to play Deltarune would be to not play it.

Buuut, I'm mainly hoping for a very satisfying playthrough where I solve most everyone's problems, especially Kris's.

Yeah, the former reads too much like Spec Ops: The Line for it's own good.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Your Computer posted:

That's part of the Stormblood main theme, it plays every time you complete a Stormblood quest (or quest added with the expansion, in this Red Mage case.) I'm gonna hear the Deltarune version every time now...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Your Computer posted:

If this is real, is it considered plagiarism?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Only if you consider every song in the rock and roll catalog plagarism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Pollyanna posted:

If this is real, is it considered plagiarism?

If Deltrarune is anything like Undertale, Toby has had the main motifs cooking since 2003