Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'm assuming that few million is just part of a much larger advertising budget? Is there any way to determine how much influence these people even have?

Correct. It has to be a part of an overall strategy.

Yes, there are ways to audit that stuff to weed out the fake followers. To use YouTube as an example, you can also eyeball stuff in terms of subscribers vs views vs views on "sponsored" content. There are some browser plug-ins that will do some decent work with that too. You can also ask for the influencer to share their YouTube dashboard to determine audiences. Agencies are always trying to bullshit the brands with bad counting numbers and such. Like, so many have tried to sell me "minimum subscriber base of X" instead of basic cost-per-view minimums. It's irritating and part of that is the difficulty of quantifying awareness marketing, and part of that is just how loose the industry is.

If you do it right and with enough money, you can see some genuine effects-- not like targeted-ad-on-Facebook level of attribution, but good enough. But holy poo poo, it's super easy to BWM-style incinerate giant piles of money doing it. I remember there was one story about a game that had enough money for one PewDiePie video (during his prime), spent the money which was probably in the low six-figure range, and then wondered why they weren't instant successes. That could not have been worse with money.

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Murderball posted:

I'm saving a certain title for the new thread, but I'm open to others for now

My vote's for however much of "I'm a Coca-Cola drinking, Funko POP! collecting, WWE watching, straightedge guidance counselor" will fit

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Alt right provocateur Milo Yiannopolous is half a million dollars in debt, $47,500 of which is credit cards

https://www.twitter.com/kthorjensen/status/1069096731432837121

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Doccykins posted:

Alt right provocateur Milo Yiannopolous is half a million dollars in debt, $47,500 of which is credit cards

almost as bad as duncan hunter, then

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
This is all on twitter, YouTube, Facebook, and PayPal

How many more lives must their TOS's destroy :qq:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Doccykins posted:

https://twitter.com/kthorjensen/status/1069106999869067264?s=21

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
This is what happens when you don't cash those Soros checks, people.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384411458794057728

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Can't tell if OP's new job is GWM or BWM

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/a254kv/i_think_my_job_is_a_front_for_some_sort_of/

quote:

I think my job is a front for some sort of illegal activity, am I in any legal danger?

quote:

I might sound entirely crazy but I don't think I am, around 6 months ago I was job hunting and happened to see a 1 line Craigslist that simply said "Sales job, salary+commission NOT DOOR TO DOOR or pyramid poo poo".

So this mildly intrigued me, I emailed them and setup an interview. It was for a furniture business. They were paying $14.50 an hour flat, and 20% commissions, offered me the job on the spot after a very short interview.

So I started 2 days later in the "showroom" which is 3-4 couches and chairs that are old as hell and a few catalog's of different furniture. The thing is no one ever comes in, never orders anything, there are 1-2 phonecalls a week and half of those are wrong numbers.

The business isn't advertised anywhere, there is no sign or anything. I've made 0 sales in 6 months but then again I look at it like I'm being paid to literally watch Amazon Prime/Netflix all day well above minimum wage.

There's very basic "rules", I cannot go into the back warehouse for "safety reasons, no steel tip shoes etc". Which doesn't bother me, never get asked to lift or carry heavy furniture. However there are always multiple trucks at the loading docks all day long.

I've had maybe 20ish walk ins during this time, mostly people looking for a different business nearby and a few just people that looked through the catalogs but never ordered anything.

There are more security cameras around the building, on every door than my bank has. I know they are watched because a few times my boss who rarely ever comes in makes jokes "seen ya watching your phone all day yesterday!" When he wasn't in or "you took like 20 smokebreaks yesterday!" All in good fun because they know that no one ever comes in or buys anything.

My question is what sort of legal problems can I get in if they are doing something illegal that I have no actual knowledge of? Will my story of "yeah been getting paid for 6 months to do nothing, never went back there or thought anything was wrong or illegal!" Actually be believed?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Are they still hiring?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I'm getting heavy 'meth lab' vibes based on the no steelies rule. With any luck, after another six months of seeing/hearing/speaking no evil maybe he can negotiate a raise.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Guest2553 posted:

I'm getting heavy 'meth lab' vibes based on the no steelies rule. With any luck, after another six months of seeing/hearing/speaking no evil maybe he can negotiate a raise.

"Look sir, I'm tied for #1 salesman in the department and feel I deserve it! At $0 in sales, I'm also tied for worst salesman in the department, so if you want to keep me where I am, I'll understand."

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Guest2553 posted:

I havent watched any series about meth-making cancer-afflicted chemistry teachers, what's with the steelies?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
He mentions further down that they aren't taking any taxes out of his paycheck, so money laundering is out of the picture. Most likely drug / human trafficking of some variety.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Someone is pulling a classic Red Headed Men League.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Dawncloack posted:

I havent watched any series about meth-making cancer-afflicted chemistry teachers, what's with the steelies?

Steel toed footwear can spark if it bumps into things hard enough, or arc static electricity if the caps are exposed. Neither of which are good things in an enclosed space with flammable vapors.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the wording is also compatible w/ him not being allowed there cuz he doesn't have the shoes

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the wording is also compatible w/ him not being allowed there cuz he doesn't have the shoes

That's what I took away from it. Not sure where the rest of this came from......

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I just found out my sister in law has bought into a CBD oil MLM :(

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Cacafuego posted:

at least cbd actually does some poo poo for epileptics and poo poo i guess

goondolences

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Cacafuego posted:

That just sounds like smoking weed with extra steps.

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

Hoodwinker posted:

That just sounds like smoking weed with extra steps.

If it's not going through legal weed distribution channels, it's probably not even CBD.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Catching up with this thread, the linked reddit post has a few more gems:

quote:

[–]Newkittyhugger 73 points 10 days ago

I know a guy (used to be a friend) who bought a car for 5000 euros in a different country. The "testdrive" was with a person who sold the car and they never went above 15km/h. Then he had to tride 1500km back to his own country. Found 20 things wrong with the car before it broke down. Payed to get it towed and stored while they find put whats wrong with it. Then 1500 to get it fixed. Drove it home finds new problems. Fixes small things (like window wipers) himself. Takes it to new place to get it fixed. Somewhere in between he bought a new interior for the car and had that delivered to the new car shop. Sold the car and interior because new fix was too expensive. Got 3k for it. Buys the car back for 2k to try to fix it again himself with help from his uncle. Bought it again for 2.5 somehow. Spend around 1500 more money on repairs tires and storing the car. Sells the car again for 1.5k after uncle gives up on the repairs. So he blew a bunch of money on nothing.

:psyduck:

quote:

[–]DA_KING_IN_DA_NORF 2772 points 11 days ago*

College friend graduated with over $100k in private student loans.

The bank offered a $5k credit towards the loans as a graduation gift, or $1500 in cash. They took the $1500 and used it as a down payment on a new car.

EDIT: for clarification, this was a new car to replace a perfectly good used car. And they did not get into a lucrative career, last I heard they were working food service.

quote:

[–]justfriendshappens 449 points 10 days ago

I knew a guy that bought a trans-am, fully loaded, and had a $700 payment in 1985 (that's like $1650 today). He ended up bankrupt.

Another guy I know told me he was going to declare bankruptcy over a $4000 debt about 20 years ago. We were riding in his late model truck. I said, "Why don't you sell the truck, settle the debt and save up for a new truck". He got FURIOUS and yelled at me for saying that.

He ended up bankrupt, and still lost the truck.

quote:

[–]jayheadspace 1405 points 11 days ago

I used to work in a bank offering investment and lending advice. Car loans, mortgages, retirement savings, that sort of thing.

I had a client who was a successful lawyer, and his father was a very successful lawyer. He married.....a successful lawyer. They made a lot of money, easily over 1 million each (so 2 million per year, gross household income). Every week they had *zero* money left.

I tried to help by setting up an automatic contribution to a savings account. If they don't see it, maybe they won't spend it. No, they spent it. Every week they would call me to transfer the money out of savings and into their checking account. So I sat down with them and went over their budget. They didn't have one. They had no concept of what things cost. They didn't have a firm grasp of how much they made, or how much they spent. They bought impulsively and recklessly. The Dodge Viper was a big thing at the time, so he went out and bought one and financed it. He didn't have space for it, so he rented space to store it. He never drove it. He had it customized with expensive after-market stuff. It was a work of art. I don't know if he ever drove it at all. He had no interest in showing it or anything. It was a money pit.

​She had never cut her own finger or toe nails. Her whole life she had just gone for a weekly mani-pedi. More frequently if she chipped a nail or something. She shopped, a lot. She always looked amazing.

They were very smart people, but had grown up with money and had no concept of it, like it would always just be there. I tried to help them budget, but that means deciding to go without something or delaying a purchase and they had never done it before so why start now? I left the bank and they were still going week to week. Wonderful people, but just no concept of money.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
What I'd be interested in seeing is how the $2m per year income is spent each month. How do you even spend that much money?

If you want to see BWM I've been watching Consumed on Netflix. It's a cross between hoarders and family relationship problems. Often a family of hoarders.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Devian666 posted:

What I'd be interested in seeing is how the $2m per year income is spent each month. How do you even spend that much money?

If you want to see BWM I've been watching Consumed on Netflix. It's a cross between hoarders and family relationship problems. Often a family of hoarders.

I'd have to imagine a significant portion is going towards ridiculous debt service (stupid poo poo like ARMs on their primary home and vacation homes that are now adjusting and they just don't know enough to refi) and, like the story with that Viper, towards the maintenance of all the poo poo they buy and don't use. Slip fees, hangar fees, car storage, etc.

These are also likely the kind of people who remodel their kitchen every 5 years or less (in all the homes) and buy expensive furniture/rugs which they pay even more for because they are using a decorator, who is then taking their old stuff "to dispose of it" and making bank reselling.

Plus you know they have domestic staff on the payroll.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Devian666 posted:

That was exactly my first thought. $2MM a year is approximately $6,000 in income per day and very difficult to frivolously spend on a casual basis. They could even commit the cardinal BWM sins of eating take out and going out every day and never miss the money.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Devian666 posted:

What country are you in? I can't find this on USA Netflix.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I don't know where you can find it nowadays, but the documentary Queen of Versailles is an amazing show about what people who made too much money do when they are no longer able to maintain their lifestyles. So much BWM content, it could be its own thread.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Power of Pecota posted:

lmao at this guy:

I don't think Huck Seed has come through on any of his grandiose prop bits in over a decade. About ten years ago, he was going to run a 4:39 mile, at the age of forty. Guess whether that ever happened.

Brian Zembic, best known for getting breast implants on a bet, lived in a bathroom for a week. The opposing parties bought him out of that one before it ran its course.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What country are you in? I can't find this on USA Netflix.

New Zealand. Fire up your VPN.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

quote:

Hi, I had been operating a restaurant for 1 year now.
It's a fairly new residential unit block with 4 ground floor shops and we spent 200k in shop fitout during the 4 months rent free period given. As part of the lease contract we have 3 months' rent bank guarantee in place.
Sales has not been enough to cover the rent, wages & suppliers and now we are in a huge debt.
40k in credit card debt, 15k debt with ATO and 2 weeks behind in rent.
On personal level we have pretty much no cash in bank account and in order to pay off my mortgage I closed down the shop this week so I can get a job to make a living immediately.
I have spoken to the real estate agent and he said the landlord is relentless and will go by whatever is in the contract and will make us pay for future rent until they find a tenant.
I was hoping to agree on forfeiting the 3 months bank guarantee and best scenario will be the agent can find new tenant within that 3 months period (now 2.5 months since we are 2 weeks behind in rent).
However I am worried about the worst case scenario and that they cannot find new tenants and the landlord will pursue us with legal action and we may end up in court and losing my house.
I have 3 young kids and my wife is at home with the baby on maternity leave with no income.
Another thing I have thought is the "make good provision" in the contract. If the landlord really wants to go by the contract then I can pull the whole restaurant apart and make it completely empty and this will make it even harder for him to find tenants. It's definitely been built with a purpose of being a restaurant and I am sure the landlord should be thankful that we have spent 200k in shop fitout.
What are my chances of coming to an agreement with the landlord? Are there any options for me that I can approach differently? I really want to put this behind me and start fresh.
I have contacted ATO and bank and asked for payment plan so I can slowly pay my debt off...

Later if asked if he signed a personal gurantee and if his house is at risk, he doesn't know...

quote:

weekly rent is just under 2000. wages also 2000-2200. supplies and other costs can be 2500 to 3500.
takings can be 6000 to 7500. we make nothing and just increasing debt..
i think i did personal guarantee..will have to check..

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Restaurants: even worse with money than horses?

It's a tall order, I know.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
odds that this guy had a real business plan: roughly zero 0%

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
OMG opening a restaurant in a new residential area that doesn't have people living it it yet by getting scammed by some real estate agent. Classic. Absolutely no lunch demand or dinner demand.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Elephanthead posted:

OMG opening a restaurant in a new residential area that doesn't have people living it it yet by getting scammed by some real estate agent. Classic. Absolutely no lunch demand or dinner demand.

It said residential block, so I assume the whole area isn't new. But, yeah, it's likely a saturated market anyway (they always are), and this guy obviously did not have anything close to a plan. Aren't you supposed to be able to cover costs for like 6 months at least?

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
https://graziadaily.co.uk/life/real-life/borrowing-money-from-parents/

Earns anything from slightly above to over 33% more than the average UK wage, lives with parents on a reduced rent, lives pay check to pay check and needs bailing out to the tune of £100-£500 a month.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

odds that this guy had a real business plan: roughly zero 0%

I think anybody who closes a restaurant within 3 months of opening it probably didn't have a business plan

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Murderball posted:

I'm saving a certain title for the new thread, but I'm open to others for now

"Spend less on horses." "No."

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 3, 2018

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
1. Open restaurant
2. Sell food
3. Profit

What more of a plan do you need??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Begall posted:

https://graziadaily.co.uk/life/real-life/borrowing-money-from-parents/

Earns anything from slightly above to over 33% more than the average UK wage, lives with parents on a reduced rent, lives pay check to pay check and needs bailing out to the tune of £100-£500 a month.

quote:

I’ve even been known to ask for £20 just to afford to sit in with a friend and get a bottle of wine and a takeaway. Pathetic, right?.....I work in a very sociable industry and there’s an unspoken pressure to join in with Friday night drinks, and I do need to buy clothes for work........Drinking cheap wine in a local bar......This isn’t about frivolous Millennials who don’t know how to budget

Okay, then let's see this budget.