Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

My two pocket wizards were $200 CAD from craigslist so I don't think they're too expensive.

I picked up a Godox V860IIS, Godox TT350S, umbrella, bracket, and stand for a little over $400. I also managed to get the godoxes to communicate with each other. Now I just have to figure out how to properly set it up for a certain situation, how to balance metering/exposure with flash, and learn some general wedding photography tips/tricks. I think I'll put together a binder with my own cliffnotes with maybe one page of basic information per location along with multiple sample shots from other photographers that I like, so I can try to recreate them.

The next few weekends are going to suuuuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 2, 2018

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
that second one is really not at all flattering

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

underage at the vape shop posted:

that second one is really not at all flattering

Because of the facial expression or something more? I'm trying to get better at directing people so any tips you have to get a more natural pose out of someone would be great to hear.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Thom12255 posted:

Because of the facial expression or something more? I'm trying to get better at directing people so any tips you have to get a more natural pose out of someone would be great to hear.

the shadows on her face

red19fire
May 26, 2010

the shadows on her face

Also the arm takes up as much space in the frame as the face.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Thom12255 posted:

bright spot on the left stealing focus, hard shadows on her facial features.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Random question (that I would ask privately if you had PMs) - is that Princeton? I brought a bride and groom to the campus once at their request and there are so many good portrait spots (and I live like 10 minutes away so I walk around just shooting for fun there too). If it is Princeton then I would take her to some of those spots that frame portraits better, have benches that are level with the lines on the walls etc. (unless these were just impromptu shots).

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Untitled by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.
Too dark? This is my first time using softbox lighting, and if I'm being truthful, an actual portrait.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Not too dark but I think too blue unless that was the idea.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

My artist friend is doing an internship with a Magic: the Gathering painter and asked for all kinds of lighting, colors and angles. So yeah, he asked for blue, I gave him blue :v: Thanks :)

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
It looks as though you added some split toning and then did a B&W conversion (which keeps the split toning on top of the greyscale conversion).

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

I actually did it the other way around. We used a green curtain because my friend wanted to easily be able to remove the background in post. But (in my opinion) the green curtain is distracting for a color image... I did the b&w conversion then kept bumping up the split tones until he was happy.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

from the catchlight it seems like your softbox might be too far away to be actually getting very soft light.

If you're only using one you're probably better off with it more head on to the subject so you avoid the harshness of fall off - or use a reflector to get some bounce to the other side of the face.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
The Englishman by Jason, on Flickr

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Megabound fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 4, 2018

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

you went way too hard on her eyes dude

rio
Mar 20, 2008

you went way too hard on her eyes dude

I didn’t do anything to her eyes, that’s just the way they are/the way the light was. I learned early on not to mess with her eyes because any retouching makes them look fake due to how blue they are naturally.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

So I guess the multi-exposure protection on my camera doesn't work:

Rot fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 13, 2018

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Rot posted:

So I guess the multi-exposure protection on my camera doesn't work:

Run with it baby!

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
Thought this shot of my kid looked kind of dreary. The lighting turned out pretty dark though it was a sunny day.

by Jack Vickrey, on Flickr

Hard to ever capture him looking at the camera and smiling. Pretty happy with how this one turned out.

by Jack Vickrey, on Flickr

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
These are Facebook shots my dude.

Post processing could fix the lighting on the top one, but it won't fix the fact that it's a portrait of the back of someone's head. The bottom one is cut off in a bad place.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Any good resources for learning portrait photog? I’d like to break into it, but don’t really know where to start, and all the test pictures I’ve taken haven’t turned out great.

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006
The strobists lighting 101 is really good for beginners. If you want to take good portraits, learn to light faces.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm not sure if it's her makeup or the post processing or what, but her face almost looks like it's wax

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

DJExile posted:

I'm not sure if it's her makeup or the post processing or what, but her face almost looks like it's wax

Agreed.

I think its a decent portrait (lighting and pose) but her skin looks like it was retouched way too far. It lost all form of texture to the point of being unnaturally smooth/soft. Her hands also look overly soft/retouched but that could just be compounded by being in the foreground and out of focus.

Do you have the original to compare against?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
I think the issue is that I used a filter in Color Efex Pro 4 that smooths skin automatically which isn't a part of my normal workflow so I went too far with it. I'm going to redo it with just my normal frequency separation method and see what you guys think. It is just the texture rather than the tones that look off?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah the tone doesn't seem too bad, but the texture looks way too smooth.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Thom12255 posted:

I'm going to redo it with just my normal frequency separation method and see what you guys think. It is just the texture rather than the tones that look off?

Tone and color all seem fine, her eyes look really bright/sharp/saturated but it might just be because compared to the skin, they stand out more. With normal skin texture, the eyes might not seem so bright/sharp.

As for freq. separation, thats usually my favorite way to go for major skin retouching but I don't go that far into most of my portraits/wedding photos anymore unless someone really needs it.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10103498085375717&type=1&l=5beea94e21

nex5n, mostly a 135 f2.8 nikkor

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

You know you don't have to upload every photo you take, right?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Or any at all really.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

There aren’t enough pictures of homeless people though so it’s good to put every last one you take online.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
OOC

Edit

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

I still like her skin better OOC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

torgeaux posted:

I still like her skin better OOC.

This time the texture was hardly touched so is it the smooth tone transitions that you don't think looks as good?