Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

someone please photoshop ludwig the holy blade's disgusting head onto the my lovely horse gif

thank you and god bless

e: new page snipe, page 2387, the year the FF7 remake is coming out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I have decided to spend the rest of December with Yakuza0! Considering I am just about to start my real estate adventure and have been playing for 27 hours, I am going to need all the weeks I can get :D

Speaking of weeks! I am not sure if some of you remember, but in 2017 I attempted a thing called My Year in Gaming. It was a way to get my stupidly large steam backlog down. I had decided to give each month a theme and only play a specific genre for that month. Japanuary meant I only played games made by Japanese companies and so on.

I had to stop doing it in April because my PC gave up the ghost, the poor thing is from 2009 and still barely trucking along even now. By the time I replaced the hard drives, the ram and the PSU it was the latter end of the year and the main reason for doing the year was to attack steam games.
One blessing of being without PC gaming was that I was able to spend more time with my consoles and I really fell in love with the setup again.

I want to do my year in gaming again for 2019 and I have come up with a different style, one of which makes me grin stupidly because of the setup.

This time instead of themed months, I am going to choose 52 seperate games and play one a week. They are going to be games I have never played or am so very close to finishing and I have a week to get as far into them as I can. On Sunday I am going to do a little write up on that game with my thoughts, feelings, if I finished it and if not, would I go back to it. These will all be in a seperate thread.

I am going to call it: Action 52

:D again, stupidly happy with this!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

VG I admire your plan but I have to say, I think 52 games in a year is a crazy target! I wouldn't want to rush a game if I felt it was going to take more than a week :)

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I dunno like even if you did 2 hours a night you'd clear most games in a week averaged out.

I hope this isn't the year you catch up on your final fantasy backlog VG!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

VG I admire your plan but I have to say, I think 52 games in a year is a crazy target! I wouldn't want to rush a game if I felt it was going to take more than a week :)

I love silly challenges like this! :D I had a lot of fun with the 2017 challenge and experienced a ton of games I otherwise would not have tried. I am not going to rush, but treat 2019 like a tasting menu!

CrRoMa posted:

I dunno like even if you did 2 hours a night you'd clear most games in a week averaged out.

I hope this isn't the year you catch up on your final fantasy backlog VG!

I still have FFXV to do at some point! I think I am going to leave all of the really big games for now and focus on some of the smaller bitesize games :)

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

52 is very doable if you mix in shorter games with bigger ones. I 100%all three spyro games in less than two weeks and also completed the bf:V campaign.

Another two weeks prior, I completed Jak 3 and tomb raider (the first one of the remakes)

Good luck VG

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

VG that’s a wonderful idea and you better post updates every week at minimum! I have a feeling it will inspire me to finish some games I left behind or try ones I wouldn’t have otherwise.

exquisite tea posted:

War for Cybertron had really fun multiplayer, too bad it went dead in a month.

It was so much fun, right? Shame it didn’t catch on. I didn’t play the sequel but I don’t remember it having any hype at all.

Montalvo posted:

I spent all weekend playing RDR2. I have to say that I love all the details and the constant fussing around. Treasure maps are tough though, goddamn.

The controls/animations/deliberate nature of every action is the main thing that I love so much about RDR2. Everything is done with purpose and it adds a lot to the way the game handles Arthur in story and the general passage of time in the game. It’s all so satisfying to interact with. I’m always chasing for games that feel amazing to play and it’s one of the best. That combined with the unbelievably good work by the art team and it’s a world I can walk around aimlessly in for a while and enjoy the little things. RDR2 is the most mindful and meditative AAA game I’ve ever played. It’s something a lot of games miss when trying to capture that western spirit.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Congratulations to Destiny 2 for reclaiming the #3 spot from Fallout 76 in the "largest patch" contest, new owners of Destiny 2 on disc are now welcomed by a 52 gig patch.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

univbee posted:

Congratulations to Destiny 2 for reclaiming the #3 spot from Fallout 76 in the "largest patch" contest, new owners of Destiny 2 on disc are now welcomed by a 52 gig patch.

I'm working and firewall will block a lot of gaming sites. Can you paste here the ranking for (in doomguy's voice) HUGE PATCHES?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Guillermus posted:

I'm working and firewall will block a lot of gaming sites. Can you paste here the ranking for (in doomguy's voice) HUGE PATCHES?

Here's the top 20 at least that I know of, with update sizes in megs (may be out of date in some cases). These sizes are just the patches themselves, in some cases there are DLC sizes on top of that (although a lot of these games keep all extra data in the patches and DLC is just 1 meg unlock files)

Elder Scrolls Online 64598.9
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 54545.4
Destiny 2 52720.4
Fallout 76 50981.3
Star Wars Battlefront II 41482.6
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege 40219.9
Gran Turismo Sport 36760.3
Spyro Reignited Trilogy 34386.1
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered 34061.7
Call of Duty: WWII 32951
Destiny (all editions including TTK Bundles) 32678.7
Battlefield 1 31728.8
DOOM 30355.4
Final Fantasy XV (all editions including Royal Edition) 28677.4
For Honor 27510.2
Kingdom Come: Deliverance 25759.6
Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 25380.6
Steep 24431.8
Tom Clancy's The Division 23531.2
Star Wars Battlefront 23250

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

In awe at the size of those lads. Absolute units.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

RareAcumen posted:

DMC: Devil May Cry is the worst sequel thing.

lol dmc2, come on now. i stand by the ps4 version of DMC: Devil May Cry as being a decent game.

but who cares really, DMCV IS COMING 4 MONTHS TIME HELL YEAAAH

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Easy Allies video review template got upgraded again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miB6FTzXLgo&t=22s

that patreon money is getting well spent.

the detail put into that quest is awesome, you can complete it in a bunch of different ways for a off-book quest you just stumble on, i remember getting warned about that place a few hours before i found it. tons of different lines/info you'll never see if you only do it one way.

univbee posted:

Here's the top 20 at least that I know of, with update sizes in megs (may be out of date in some cases). These sizes are just the patches themselves, in some cases there are DLC sizes on top of that (although a lot of these games keep all extra data in the patches and DLC is just 1 meg unlock files)

Destiny 2 52720.4
Fallout 76 50981.3
Battlefield 1 31728.8
DOOM 30355.4
For Honor 27510.2
Steep 24431.8

reminds me of early PC MMO's/online games tbh just with inflation, you'd get this game you'd hear about only to have to constantly download a gently caress ton of patches which would completely change the UI each time by the time you got the current patch that allowed you online the game would look nothing like what was on the back of the box. thinking mostly ultima online! there were others...

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 3, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The final chapter or two of Yakuza 2 is just unbelievable in the amount of pigheaded stubborn macho men being macho at each other and the 100% seriousness of it somehow makes it work

What a ride . Time to do majima saga. K2 was pretty fast, about 27 hours for nearly all substories that didn't involve minigames I suck at. Did all the cabaret but not the construction clan thing

It's also funny an unnamed repeat boss (man in Black) is way harder to fight than any named character

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 3, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

univbee posted:

Destiny 2 52720.4
Fallout 76 50981.3
Battlefield 1 31728.8
DOOM 30355.4
For Honor 27510.2
Steep 24431.8

DOOM patches got ridiculous for awhile on Steam, it felt like every day there was a new 15GB update.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

lmao

the top grossing entertainment products of all time

:goonsay: : "these are bad!!!"

Ah yes, 2018's finest musical release *checks charts* MAMMA MIA - HERE WE GO AGAIN

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I beat RDR2 on OneX my first go around, now I'm replaying it on PS4 Pro.

I'm now playing the way that I should have been, by wandering around finding countless things to do instead of just plowing through the story. At the same time its nice to not wonder about what is going to happen and worry about online spoilers. I spent like 4 hours last night just doing gently caress all and it was wonderful.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ah yes, 2018's finest musical release *checks charts* MAMMA MIA - HERE WE GO AGAIN

Do NOT talk poo poo about ABBA.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can we stop bringing that post up jesus christ the past few pages of this thread are kind of unbearable

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Do NOT talk poo poo about ABBA.

How about ABBA but sung by Meryl Streep for some reason

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

mastershakeman posted:

The final chapter or two of Yakuza 2 is just unbelievable in the amount of pigheaded stubborn macho men being macho at each other and the 100% seriousness of it somehow makes it work

What a ride . Time to do majima saga. K2 was pretty fast, about 27 hours for nearly all substories that didn't involve minigames I suck at. Did all the cabaret but not the construction clan thing

It's also funny an unnamed repeat boss (man in Black) is way harder to fight than any named character

man in black gets more showtime than he did in the original!

27 hours :stare: took me double that and i still haven't beaten the bouncer missions. if you want to see what the construction story line has to offer i recommend buying the sayama and florist cards from the psn store and using their d-pad powers. makes it and the final battle that much more easier but if you wanna know what the rewards are for finishing it, its two nights out drinking with the new japan wrestlers and majima talking about dating advice. so depending if thats your thing (its my thing!) you're not missing much if you ignore it.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 3, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I do play yakuzas on easy after doing 0 on normal so that could explain how I did it fast. There's too much random street combat to plow through on anything more than easy

And at this point I've done most minigames plenty so barely touched them besides seeing what new karaoke songs were there

Majima dating advice sounds great but I might just YouTube it rather than drop 5 hours into a minigames to get a pair of scenes. I wwss willing to do that for Yuki though. Yakuza 7 should just be 40 hours of finding Yuki a loving husband. Maybe she can get with the judge eyes guy??

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How about ABBA but sung by Meryl Streep for some reason

Then it's not ABBA, is it. :colbert:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

DOOM patches got ridiculous for awhile on Steam, it felt like every day there was a new 15GB update.

DOOM patches contain the contents of the multiplayer DLC, so they were pretty dickish at first when that was paid DLC, a little less bad but still bad once those went free for everybody.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

I love your avatar so much

Thank you very much, friend. I wish I remembered where I got it from. I think maybe a goon helped me make it!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol dmc2, come on now. i stand by the ps4 version of DMC: Devil May Cry as being a decent game.

but who cares really, DMCV IS COMING 4 MONTHS TIME HELL YEAAAH

DMC2 went beyond awful in saying Dante wasn't a gay cowboy and also sniper rifle abortion? Wow, drat, I had no idea how bad it was.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Montalvo posted:

Thank you very much, friend. I wish I remembered where I got it from. I think maybe a goon helped me make it!

It is your lovely horse, from Father Ted :D

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RareAcumen posted:

DMC2 went beyond awful in saying Dante wasn't a gay cowboy and also sniper rifle abortion? Wow, drat, I had no idea how bad it was.

DMC2 is barely even a game

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

mastershakeman posted:

When they got shot I was disappointed because I wouldn't get a Round 2 against Ryuji, there's no way they would make them fight with two gaping bullet holes on them, but they gently caress did and it was amazing

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
sadly the Yakuza Series never does resolve the mystery of who Blade Shoeman was and why he's stronger than like all the other bosses in Kiwami 2

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

So I now have Yakuza 0, Kiwami, and Yakuza 6.. the only PS4 release I'm missing is Kiwami 2, right?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gray Matter posted:

So I now have Yakuza 0, Kiwami, and Yakuza 6.. the only PS4 release I'm missing is Kiwami 2, right?

yes, depending on if you want to call Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise a Yakuza game

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Can we stop bringing that post up jesus christ the past few pages of this thread are kind of unbearable

Every time I stop posting for a few days this thread turns to poo poo tbh.

Good morning everyone
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1069600656422510593?s=19

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Dewgy posted:

He whanged the guy over the head with a bong. I think you’re really overselling that moment.

thats a power fantasy

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Feels Villeneuve posted:

yes, depending on if you want to call Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise a Yakuza game
Does it star Kiryu-chan and/or Majima? Cause if not, then no I do not. :colbert:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gray Matter posted:

Does it star Kiryu-chan and/or Majima? Cause if not, then no I do not. :colbert:

that's actually a subjective question, because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsU40wgXTKE

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 3, 2018

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

it was a demon and demon baby and the trigger pulled by a series villain.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

sadly the Yakuza Series never does resolve the mystery of who Blade Shoeman was and why he's stronger than like all the other bosses in Kiwami 2

Goddamn that loving boss absolutely wrecked my poo poo the first two times, took like a whole pharmacy and armory each time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Goddamn, Etsuko is one hell of an earner :stare:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

mastershakeman posted:

I do play yakuzas on easy after doing 0 on normal so that could explain how I did it fast. There's too much random street combat to plow through on anything more than easy

And at this point I've done most minigames plenty so barely touched them besides seeing what new karaoke songs were there

Majima dating advice sounds great but I might just YouTube it rather than drop 5 hours into a minigames to get a pair of scenes. I wwss willing to do that for Yuki though. Yakuza 7 should just be 40 hours of finding Yuki a loving husband. Maybe she can get with the judge eyes guy??

2 and 6 and Fotns, new combat engine give you the tools to end things quickly and fun on normal.

Wholly agree that 0 and 1 should be on easy and you should get make it rain ASAP