Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I jogged for three hours yesterday, but my stupid Grimer only gained six levels. is there some kind of cap on how much exp the Pokeball can gain at one time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Thank you, I should come to SA every time I'm out of the loop.

I looked up footage and I think I like the idea of removing random battles with wild pokemon. Also, getting experience from catching pokemon is something I've wanted since Red/Blue

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I hope future games connect to Go, it can be pretty difficult to get a lot of pokemon from older generations otherwise. Let's Go is gonna be the best source of gen 1's provided there's connectivity with gen 8, which I think there will be

edit: My advice with Let's Go is to avoid grinding catches too much until you beat the Pokemon League, you can really outlevel the story if you spend too long catching. It makes it really easy to evolve pokemon you're not using for your pokedex too

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 3, 2018

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Riatsala posted:

Also, getting experience from catching pokemon is something I've wanted since Red/Blue

That started in X/Y and continued into ORAS and SuMo.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

That is pure :psyduck:
Burning your games on a charcoal grill, that's one thing. Totally relatable, and I'm sure we've all done it once or twice in our lives. But trading your games in for Gamestop prices? Pure insanity.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Jesus christ, does the "pokemon community" usually have melt downs about how shineys really work and only I have the right secret knowledge, or is that just a youtube thing?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Catalina posted:

That is pure :psyduck:
Burning your games on a charcoal grill, that's one thing. Totally relatable, and I'm sure we've all done it once or twice in our lives. But trading your games in for Gamestop prices? Pure insanity.

It's practically the same thing, really.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

People streaming are mostly shiny hunting and lmao it’s the worst loving thing.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Crabtree posted:

Jesus christ, does the "pokemon community" usually have melt downs about how shineys really work and only I have the right secret knowledge, or is that just a youtube thing?

Confirmation bias outweighs statistical evidence every time.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

It's a mainline game that has some stuff other mainline games don't have in an effort to court a growing audience.

It's a mainline game in the same sense that New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe and Mario Odyssey are both mainline Mario games. If it were a spin off the basic gameplay would be different and be like a Pokemon kart racer or something.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

People streaming are mostly shiny hunting and lmao it’s the worst loving thing.

I think it makes a lot of sense. It's a pretty chill tedious thing so it's easy to run around and do the same thing over and over, which makes it a great chance to talk to chat while you're playing without the game being too intensive or needing your attention as a player too much.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

On principle I really dislike shiny hunting streams because it's more of a chatroom than being engaged with someone's task. They might as well just be on a random video chat talking to hundreds of different people and not playing anything at all. I know that playing a game and entertaining a live audience at the same time is difficult, but it's much more fun that way. That's just me, though. I've only shiny hunted a few times in my life, and while I am a patient person I don't really see the value in random shinies. I only got ones that I really liked the color scheme for and such.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I'm the Ronald Reagan Drive

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I just got to fuchsia city and transferred a bunch of my extra legendaries and shinies from PoGo to my Park. It’s pretty satisfying to see them all together on a big tv screen.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I'm trying to use Let's Go's online for the first time, and why do I have to do a weird passcode search thing instead of just choosing to connect with someone on my friend's list

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Gruckles posted:

I'm trying to use Let's Go's online for the first time, and why do I have to do a weird passcode search thing instead of just choosing to connect with someone on my friend's list

For the same reason you can't use a normal control scheme like a Pro-controller or two joy cons, and the same reason you can't just hit a button to dismount from one of the flying Pokemon and instead you have to put it back in its Pokeball from the party menu: :shrug:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Gruckles posted:

Despite Go coming out nearly 2 years into the Switch, sometimes it really feels like they weren't really up to task about developing specifically for the console. The Switch specific parts of the game (IE joycon and motion controls) are the worst parts.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

notthegoatseguy posted:

Despite Go coming out nearly 2 years into the Switch, sometimes it really feels like they weren't really up to task about developing specifically for the console. The Switch specific parts of the game (IE joycon and motion controls) are the worst parts.

They thought the Switch would fail lol.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I haven't played my 3DS since the charging cord died in a chair leg related hit-and-run, and I don't trust Amazon to not send me some kind of dubious"Nintendo branded" charger that has a good chance of burning my house down. Well, I've been wanting to load my old file on Pokemon Moon for the first time in ages, so I decided to go with Gamestop. I guess it's been a couple years since I last went in an actual store, and I somehow always manage to forget why, and figured since I was out of town and in the area, I might as well pick one up in-store instead of ordering it online, so I went to wait.
It was so terrible. It took me a while to find the section for 3DS Accessories, since there were ACCESSORIES signs in all of the Xbox and PS4 sections, and the only thing they had in the 3DS section was one little refurbished charger that was dubiously clean, but I figured, what the hell for $7, I'm already here.
I got to the third place in line, and there was only one guy running the register, and in addition the corporate time-consuming nonsense trying to sell people warranties for their games, and get them to join the membership program, he spent forever talking to every customer, getting into like a 7 minute discussion about Dragon Ball Z figures with the guy ahead of me, even though people were queuing behind me and I'm slowly dying on the inside as bored actors on a TV screen are repeatedly trying to hawk new toys you could buy. When I got to the register, there was a computer error with my customer file because I hadn't bought something in over a year, and then finally, FINALLY I got out.
Well, when I get home, I open the bag, and try to plug in the charger and...it doesn't fit. I look at the tiny print on the bag and it says "Nintendo DS Lite charger". Which they had put in the 3DS section. So now I have to do an exchange when the Gamestop is an hour and a half round trip, and I can't even pet my Diancie and Magearna! :sassargh:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The absolute worst part of trying to find a shiny Dratini isn't even the extremely low spawn rate even with a catch combo going: it's that the river is so loving thin I'm constantly accidentally going back onto the land when I'm trying to simply either turn around or trying to encounter the Tentacool that's right up against the shore

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Metal Oricorio

https://canisaries.tumblr.com/post/148306646180/but-what-if-there-was-headbanger-oricorio

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I really hope the next Pokémon gives some love to the weird underused Johto mons. Like regional forms for poo poo like Stantler or Corsola.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

notthegoatseguy posted:

Nintendo was never good when it came to online stuff and the Switch does NOTHING to improve upon that matter.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Oricorio is about dancing though

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nodosaur posted:

Yeah, and clearly that bird is a headbanger :colbert:

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

Shoegaze birb doesnt need your approval, man :zombie:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

He's a Metal type :keke:

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

Kikas posted:

Nintendo was never good when it came to online stuff and the Switch does NOTHING to improve upon that matter.

I really enjoy the part where we now have to pay for said janky online with the nebulous promise that they're gonna use that cash flow to improve it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

AzureSkye posted:

I really enjoy the part where we now have to pay for said janky online with the nebulous promise that they're gonna use that cash flow to improve it.

Sony did that exact thing.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This was developed by Gamefreak so the online would be this weird thing regardless of what Nintendo was doing.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
At least it's better than link cables :v:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Takoluka posted:

Sony did that exact thing.

PS+ gives several free games and rather important discounts per month, and you own those free games forever so long as you keep paying the price of one game ($60) every year. It's a really good system even if you don't play online, I got it for XV2 but then I kept it entirely because I'm getting more than my money's worth out of it. Hell, I just started playing Yakuza, a series I was interested in but never could push myself to buy, because I got Kiwami for free.

Nintendo's online service...doesn't. It gives you NES games, which you own for a month and then they're gone. It's a really bad system that's another moment of Nintendo really not understanding how the modern world works. It has one key advantage (only $20 and even less if you buy with others) but ultimately, if Smash didn't exist, I wouldn't pay for it. Sadly, I do want to play Smash with a lot of people who aren't close to me, and I know I'll need it for Pokemon poo poo eventually, but while Sony sells you a service that happens to have an online component, Nintendo sells you online and maybe a couple of things on top of it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's incorrect, the NES games are there indefinitely. The month thing was changed like a year and a half before they launched the service.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

if Smash didn't exist, I wouldn't pay for it.
While this is true, can you really call it a bad strategy when it clearly works

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

That's incorrect, the NES games are there indefinitely. The month thing was changed like a year and a half before they launched the service.

Oh. Well, that fixes one problem out of a million.

Amppelix posted:

While this is true, can you really call it a bad strategy when it clearly works

I mean...well...poo poo.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Metal/Fighting

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Guys the type is “steel”

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Nodosaur posted:

to be fair i think headbanging is probably about as valid of a dance as cheerleading is

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You could have a Brazilian Oricoro fighting type styled after Capoeira

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

:argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63k4lfWbD-w