Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I want to connect my iPhone to my home stereo. That way I don’t have to spend a bunch money on a big Bluetooth speaker. What gadget would I need to get, and which one is a good model? I got an rca to stereo jack adapter and I just have a long cable plugged into my iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Any $20 Bluetooth adapter

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Or to be more thread-relevant, Kodi can act as an Airplay receiver. If this stereo system is part of your home theater where you already have Kodi running, just use that. https://kodi.wiki/view/AirPlay

If you have an audio-only application where a Kodi box would be annoying to maintain due to its expectation of a display, the Volumio software also has Airplay support and is designed to run headless on a variety of common DIY hardware platforms. https://volumio.org/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

wolfbiker posted:

Any $20 Bluetooth adapter

I’ll second this.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

wolrah posted:

Or to be more thread-relevant, Kodi can act as an Airplay receiver. If this stereo system is part of your home theater where you already have Kodi running, just use that. https://kodi.wiki/view/AirPlay

If you have an audio-only application where a Kodi box would be annoying to maintain due to its expectation of a display, the Volumio software also has Airplay support and is designed to run headless on a variety of common DIY hardware platforms. https://volumio.org/

volumio is pretty nice

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

ChocNitty posted:

I want to connect my iPhone to my home stereo. That way I don’t have to spend a bunch money on a big Bluetooth speaker. What gadget would I need to get, and which one is a good model? I got an rca to stereo jack adapter and I just have a long cable plugged into my iPhone.

BT adapter will be the simplest, but the chromecast audio is pretty sweet...I just don't know how well it works with an iphone.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

wolrah posted:

I would go towards this option if you are using Kodi already. That way you can have the full screen visualizer, even if it's a simple one. Bluetooth would be nice if you don't want to use your screen however.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

derk posted:

volumio is pretty nice

It really is. I was almost disappointed in how easy it was to set up, I kind of wanted to do some work to get my raspberry pi up and running, but it just works so well.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Dyscrasia posted:

It really is. I was almost disappointed in how easy it was to set up, I kind of wanted to do some work to get my raspberry pi up and running, but it just works so well.

I don't have a receiver that accepts hdmi yet so I had to buy a Hifiberry Digi+ to get my TOSLink output from the RPi, which now has in turn let me use Rasplex on my Pi with direct output from it as well for DTS and DD5.1 instead of having to turn my Xbox one on just to use plex. I love this low power era of gadgetry! Have you ever used Roon? IMO it blows volumio out the water, but the price tag I haven't been able to swallow yet, but when I used the free trial I absolutely loved it. I might one day buy it.

derk fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Aug 25, 2018

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
So they have enabled some of the stuff for RetroPlayer in the latest beta of Kodi. But they are not including any of the Libretro cores because it more than doubles the size of Kodi. From what I have seen in some of the discussions, they might be allowing binary addons and plugins soon which will let you get the cores you want for whatever emulator or what ever.

On a completely unrelated note, I finally tried making a smart playlist using the GUI and they are pretty cool. Especially if you are using an Android TV system and you want your new shows/movies or whatever on the home screen. I had always avoided making smart playlist because I didn't know that there was a GUI in Kodi for it. It's real easy.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Yeah I updated to 18 beta3 to test that out and it works well. I'd love to have the LazyTV playlist work, but when I add it to the home menu it's totally different content than the one in Kodi.

But it IS neat.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Anyone got this Rom Collection Browser in Leia RC to work? I can import ROMs and download Art but I just get a blank screen when they are done loading. I can long press to bring up the settings menu but have the delete the config in order to be able to escape out to the main menu.

I'm using a fresh install of Kodi on a Shield.

EDIT: It seems I'm just better off running the emulators directly off the Shield as that's pretty much all the browser does anyway.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 25, 2018

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Bonzo posted:

Anyone got this Rom Collection Browser in Leia RC to work? I can import ROMs and download Art but I just get a blank screen when they are done loading. I can long press to bring up the settings menu but have the delete the config in order to be able to escape out to the main menu.

Oooh, Leia is RC now? Really looking forward to the retro gaming stuff.

And look, they baked Leia Beta 5 into a LibreElec Alpha!
https://libreelec.tv/

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

I have an unopened firestick 4k. I figured I'd just sell it but it looks like it might make a decent Kodi device.

We have a Samsung "smart-tv". TV/apps support 4k, at least to whatever standard when it was built. Interface is clunky, obviously.

Is it worth bothering with the Firestick or should I get something more powerful?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
It's fine. My only gripe is the awful interface. The remote is great.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

no pubes yet sorry posted:

I have an unopened firestick 4k. I figured I'd just sell it but it looks like it might make a decent Kodi device.

We have a Samsung "smart-tv". TV/apps support 4k, at least to whatever standard when it was built. Interface is clunky, obviously.

Is it worth bothering with the Firestick or should I get something more powerful?

Pros:

It will let you run Kodi, Amazon Prime video, and Netflix all on one device.

Powerful enough to run pretty much any Kodi skin without slowdown.

Should play just about any content without issue

Cons:

You have to slide load Kodi and I am not sure if they will having the auto/self updater working in Leia or not. This is arguably a good thing because you don't have to worry about it updating Kodi on it's own and breaking anything.

No real Youtube app because Amazon and Google are fighting.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Pros:

It will let you run Kodi, Amazon Prime video, and Netflix all on one device.

Powerful enough to run pretty much any Kodi skin without slowdown.

Should play just about any content without issue

Cons:

You have to slide load Kodi and I am not sure if they will having the auto/self updater working in Leia or not. This is arguably a good thing because you don't have to worry about it updating Kodi on it's own and breaking anything.

No real Youtube app because Amazon and Google are fighting.

There are apps (I used one that I think is just called Downloader) that works as a browser so you can go to the Kodi website and download the installer directly.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Vykk.Draygo posted:

There are apps (I used one that I think is just called Downloader) that works as a browser so you can go to the Kodi website and download the installer directly.

I had one on my phone that I think was called Fireloader. It would let you install any app from your phone on to your Firestick. There are other tools as well that let you get Kodi or other apps on there. I just wanted to point out that it's not as click and go as it is on Android TV.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Yes. This is how I sideload all app on my Fire stick and its soooo easier than copying something to a USB drive.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Is the person that runs the Kodi twitter like, 15 years old?

https://twitter.com/KodiTV/status/1081158140551413761

90% of their feed is dunking on people trying to pirate with Kodi, which is fine but seems like a waste of time to me, and stuff like this.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

EC posted:

Is the person that runs the Kodi twitter like, 15 years old?

https://twitter.com/KodiTV/status/1081158140551413761

90% of their feed is dunking on people trying to pirate with Kodi, which is fine but seems like a waste of time to me, and stuff like this.

Yeah they reply to poo poo like that all the time. I mean, I kinda get it. The Devs spend time creating the product which is then blasted in the media and subject to legal poo poo because of all the 3rd party crap so I can see them getting kinda salty about it.

Typical tweets at them have been something like, "I've been trying all day to get FreeTVNowl33t to work and Kodi keeps crashing. What a waste of TIME!" But even before Twitter was around people would poo poo up the forums about this and than add on. Many legit addon Devs abandoned projects because some users demand premium support for a product they didn't pay for an was developed as someone's pet project.

This is also a good example of why you keep Devs far away from customers.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
I remember the days, years ago, when they were still XBMC and excited about early tests with cheap ARM/Android boxes (pre-Android TV). There was even an officially sponsored box at one point, I forget who made it.

A lot of the core team regretting that today. They've been flat out overrun by pirate streamer/Kodi-box sellers. Plex and Emby users bitch about how locked down those two keep their own addons but I don't see either changing that stance.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Ixian posted:

I remember the days, years ago, when they were still XBMC and excited about early tests with cheap ARM/Android boxes (pre-Android TV). There was even an officially sponsored box at one point, I forget who made it.

Boxee?

https://www.amazon.ca/D-Link-DSM-380-Streaming-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0038JE07O

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Boxee was a whole different thing, though it was initially a fork of XBMC.

I think Plex also traces some lineage back to XBMC.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
No, those are fairly well known and not limited to Android.

I meant this:

https://kodi.tv/article/xbmc-android

That was the article I was thinking of. They were wide-eyed and happy that a new era of cheap media streamers running Kodi was soon to be possible. 7 years later and, not so much :)

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Thanks to all who recommended Pluto TV. It's on my parents Roku TV and there was no end to the comedy of leaving it on Eye Candy for my mom over the holidays. My step dad and I watched like an hour if Slow TV. The wrestling channels were great for the kids, and the mst3k station was great for after the family crashed out. I probably never would have checked it out if not for this thread, so thanks.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Also, yes both Plex and Emby trace some lineage back to XBMC - at one time they were technically forks of it, though it's been over a decade for both and I don't think the even the server-side of each has any more XBMC code in it.

Plex actually started as a port of XBMC to OSX, as the latter didn't support it back in 2007. The usual tedious FOSS drama unfolded and he forked it around 2008 (Elan Feingold). Then as I recall he got some funding, incorporated, and here we are. I don't remember how Emby started.

MediaPortal is another, it started in the early aughts as a Windows port when XBMC only ran on the (hacked) Xbox.

Interesting that all 3 (Plex, Emby, MediaPortal) evolved in to client-server models - allowing them to keep the server side open source (at least until they could move completely away from XBMC) but build a business model around clients. Today even that has changed.

Anyway, history lesson for you. I still have my original Xbox collecting dust somewhere that I modded with the Mech Assault hack to run XBMC. Fun times.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Ixian posted:

Anyway, history lesson for you. I still have my original Xbox collecting dust somewhere that I modded with the Mech Assault hack to run XBMC. Fun times.

I too have the same but mine doesn't launch, I get Chinese letters, basically it was off too long and it can work again if I install the modchip I bought which I attempted but I failed at soldering the wires into those ridiculously small points, I suck at soldering, so I still have the xbox and the modchip but never could install it myself.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

derk posted:

I too have the same but mine doesn't launch, I get Chinese letters, basically it was off too long and it can work again if I install the modchip I bought which I attempted but I failed at soldering the wires into those ridiculously small points, I suck at soldering, so I still have the xbox and the modchip but never could install it myself.

Last time I did it was circa 2005 and you didn't need a modchip, just a usb memory card loader and an original copy of Mech Assault (Splinter Cell worked too, if I remember).

They eventually patched those out and old copies of the games became hard to find, which is when modchips stepped in and made life difficult. As I recall that was one of several things that convinced the XBMC team to finally start supporting other hardware platforms. They started with Windows and Linux; OSX was a red-head stepchild for years, and that is how Plex was born in a nutshell (MediaPortal started even earlier, for Windows, but quickly turned in to its own thing). Interesting how things turned out.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I also started XBMC on the original Xbox. I did the mod chip, and hosed up the motherboard of the first one the first time. I even eventually upgraded the hard drive so I could store more media on it. I also gave it a bitchin' clear blue case and had an X-Men sticker over the top, and some kind of LED for the status of the mod chip with an external switch for reasons I can't remember. It was very late 90s / early 2000s looking.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

The original XBMC was revolutionary at the time, because the alternatives were to hook up your computer to your TV, or burn your videos to DVD (wow i can fit four whole sitcom episodes on a DVD!) or a DVD-R if you were lucky enough to have a DVD player that could read video files and didn't suck rear end.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

IUG posted:

the mod chip with an external switch for reasons I can't remember.

IIRC playing modded games on XBOX LIVE was potentially detectable and would get your account banned. The switch was so you could play HALO and get your teabag on without getting hammered by MS.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

IIRC playing modded games on XBOX LIVE was potentially detectable and would get your account banned. The switch was so you could play HALO and get your teabag on without getting hammered by MS.

Yeah I remember that. I was a manager for an electronics shop back in the day and I brought my Xbox board in and had one of the techs install it.

XBMC back in the day was loving amazing. I think I used that xbox for a good 5 years because of it.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

My first xBox got turned into a small web server.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
After limping along with a really mediocre Kodi set up on a Media PC for many years, I'm finally trying to get things streamlined a little bit.

In trying to move away from needing a media PC I tried installing Kodi on my FireTV. For some reason I'm not able to access my local SMB shares. I've tried manually entering IPs, browsing, etc.

Also, as long as I've used Kodi I've had a handful of files that fail to scan. Weird TV shows, oddball movies or special features, etc. Is there an easy way to find these and manually add them to the library?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

BeastOfExmoor posted:

After limping along with a really mediocre Kodi set up on a Media PC for many years, I'm finally trying to get things streamlined a little bit.

In trying to move away from needing a media PC I tried installing Kodi on my FireTV. For some reason I'm not able to access my local SMB shares. I've tried manually entering IPs, browsing, etc.

Also, as long as I've used Kodi I've had a handful of files that fail to scan. Weird TV shows, oddball movies or special features, etc. Is there an easy way to find these and manually add them to the library?

If your files are hosted on a Windows machine, I'd really recommend at least trying out Emby and the Emby Kodi Addon. SMB shares are a pain in the rear end with Windows 10 for some reason, and I bet Emby will solve your scanning issues as well.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If your files are hosted on a Windows machine, I'd really recommend at least trying out Emby and the Emby Kodi Addon. SMB shares are a pain in the rear end with Windows 10 for some reason, and I bet Emby will solve your scanning issues as well.

I may give that a try again, but when I tried it several years ago when it first was mentioned here and it just made a big mess with a ton of double entries and poo poo that didn't work. I could try again I suppose, but I have a low patience for dealing with it. I already run Plex on my PC, so perhaps I'll just use Plex on the FireStick unless I really need some of the additional features Kodi adds.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
You should give it another try, and browse the Emby forums. It has evolved considerably in the last few years to become one of the best media management servers around. And it works great with Emby for Kodi, as well as it's own clients (they have a native Emby client for the FireTV like Plex does).

Or just stick with Plex and use it. There's a Plex for Kodi addon too (not the official one, which sucks, the one that keeps your Plex library sync'd with Kodi natively). I prefer Emby but whatever works for you.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I had that problem with a buddy's server that was running some random version of Windows and the easiest thing I found was spending $20 and installing a NFS server: https://www.hanewin.net/nfs-e.htm

I've never clicked with Emby or Plex either, I just want Kodi to scrape metadata, so it worked out. My buddy seems to like it fine (I can tell because he hasn't called me and invited me for beers and "oh can you look at this for me real quick").

Edit: I'm rereading your post and this might not apply!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Third party Windows NFS clients, generally speaking, aren't solving the actual problem, at best just working around it. There's no reason a Kodi client running on Android/Linux should have a problem with CIFS/SMB shares on a Windows box. That's not to say there may not be some troubleshooting involved, depending on the circumstances/clients, but there's no reason it shouldn't work and it does work well for a large number of people. BeastOfExmoor's problem is almost certainly permissions related, for example, based on the (brief) description of the symptoms.

As far as scraping goes, there are addons that enhance scraping for Kodi, and dedicated media server applications like Plex and Emby also have fairly advanced scrapers built in that can do quite a bit with regex matching, etc. to better match sources, but at the end of the day Garbage In, Garbage Out still rules the day - if your files are just flat out named strangely - or wrong - no automated system is going to magically correct them.

External tools like Filebot are good, I've found in the past, if you want something semi-automated that can guide you (via asking questions) when they encounter no match, or matches with a low score. Then rename them correctly for you.