Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Do they still tell viewers to fact check and then let the guests say whatever they want anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Don't never not watch qanda

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
My shithead uncle has some poo poo on Sky on the tv and it's just people still extremely mad at Turnbull lol. They talk about him like he secretly masterminded everything that ever went poorly for the LNP

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Just a brief reminder not to watch Q&A at 9:30.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

lol relies on a slim majority to snatch leadership, then changes the rules to secure his position in the party.

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

Cpt Soban posted:

lol relies on a slim majority to snatch leadership, then changes the rules to secure his position in the party.

Apparently the rule does not apply to him. Have to win an election.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
How could any leader find it tenable if, say, 60% of members want them gone, which isn’t technically enough but a de facto gutting of their legitimacy? It’s a bandaid on a gunshot wound.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

hidys posted:

Apparently the rule does not apply to him. Have to win an election.

It doesn't have to apply to him (although I wouldn't be surprised if the exact wording was to the effect of "cannot spill a Prime Minister unless 2/3rds of the party room back the motion"), the only people who would be keen on rolling ScoMo before the election are people the majority of the LNP party room are not keen on seeing as leader (see: Abbott, Tony and Dutton, Peter).

ScoMo will get to the next election, and if they're humiliated as the polls say they will be then he'll be the one wearing it.

snoremac posted:

How could any leader find it tenable if, say, 60% of members want them gone, which isn’t technically enough but a de facto gutting of their legitimacy? It’s a bandaid on a gunshot wound.

I think the idea is to discourage the outside narrative of Spillsville since there would have to be an overwhelming majority calling for blood in order to force a spill.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 3, 2018

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
I’d be curious to know if 50% of the party can vote to change the threshold back to 50%? An emergency evening party meeting doesn’t sound like they’re enshrining it in their constitution.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Goffer posted:

I’d be curious to know if 50% of the party can vote to change the threshold back to 50%? An emergency evening party meeting doesn’t sound like they’re enshrining it in their constitution.

Yeah it's loving horseshit it can be undone. Imagine being a member of this shitshow Jesus Christ.

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

Schlesische posted:

It doesn't have to apply to him (although I wouldn't be surprised if the exact wording was to the effect of "cannot spill a Prime Minister unless 2/3rds of the party room back the motion"), the only people who would be keen on rolling ScoMo before the election are people the majority of the LNP party room are not keen on seeing as leader (see: Abbott, Tony and Dutton, Peter).

ScoMo will get to the next election, and if they're humiliated as the polls say they will be then he'll be the one wearing it.

I think the idea is to discourage the outside narrative of Spillsville since there would have to be an overwhelming majority calling for blood in order to force a spill.

Oh I have no doubt Morrison will lead the party to the next election.

Goffer posted:

Yep. Labor too.

This would only mean something if they brought in a party membership vote of some kind.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
The lawyer who was sick of her clients getting off and having an incompetent police force do nothing until she told them everything, is refusing to use the incompetent police force witness protection program on the quite reasonable belief it will be leaked.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/dannolan/status/1069540258272882688

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

:captainpop: :captainpop: :captainpop: :captainpop: :captainpop:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Holy poo poo, so this is what the Herald Sun was going on about last week.

Of course, their take on it was that hundreds of evil criminals would now be out on the street because of scandalous errors on the part of the police and they shouldn't go free no matter how hosed up what the cops did was.

I'd post a link, but you know, gently caress 'em.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

He ended up deleting it

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

tithin posted:

He ended up deleting it

https://twitter.com/dril/status/617017157608718336?s=21

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

monkeu posted:

Hahahah of course Big Tones supported the changes. In his mind he’s going to be leader again soon and he wants to make it harder to roll him a second time

I can see it happening. After Scomo loses the far right will convince the party that they would have been better off going hard conservative, and Tony will easily come put on top of that sorry lot.

It would be terrible. He might be a hard sell to ever actually lead the party to a win, but when let loose in opposition he is a true unrivaled talent for sewing aimless destruction, undermining government and generally dragging the national discourse even lower than its norm. He won't get the LNP back in power, but he could be corrosive enough to create holes big enough for a bunch of conservative splinter parties to worm their way in.

I pray he loses his seat since I can see him loving off to the UK to try being a real tory after that.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Oh my god, please tell me there are reporters banging on the door of whatever rundown hotel Abbott's currently staying in, trying to get his statement on this.

I bet he's not loving amused.

EDIT:

monkeu posted:

Hahahah of course Big Tones supported the changes. In his mind he’s going to be leader again soon and he wants to make it harder to roll him a second time

Okay, that makes sense.

Hilarious sense.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Dec 3, 2018

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Just a brief reminder not to watch Q&A at 9:30.

Phew! Dodged a bullet there.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Reclines Obesily posted:

https://twitter.com/KieranBennett/status/1069366693988683776

milo scammed some aussie morons out of 250k so they released his financials

milo promised them $2 million in ticket sales lmao

time for milo 2 pay the.. toll

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The latest Guardian Essential poll shows Labor’s two-party-preferred lead over the government has blown out again to 54% to 46%. A fortnight ago Labor was ahead 52% to 48%, which suggested a tightening in the contest.

Deathhhhhhhhhhh

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
The fact that close to half of this country think the LNP should still be governing after this entire shitshow is quite startling.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

The latest Guardian Essential poll shows Labor’s two-party-preferred lead over the government has blown out again to 54% to 46%. A fortnight ago Labor was ahead 52% to 48%, which suggested a tightening in the contest.

Deathhhhhhhhhhh

That previous result absolutely did not suggest a tightening in the contest

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

JBP posted:

Deathhhhhhhhhhh

Hahaha. This means maybe the 52-48 was just within the MoE right?

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

Zenithe posted:

The fact that close to half of this country think the LNP should still be governing after this entire shitshow is quite startling.

most people in this country vote for the parties their parents did

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
And still PPM holds firm.

What a crazy statistic.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Anidav posted:

And still PPM holds firm.

What a crazy statistic.

It is an amazingly useless stat though:

From 2013: https://www.abc.net.au/news/specials/rudd-returns/2013-06-30/galaxy-poll-results-show-rudd-is-preferred-prime-minister/4789860

quote:

In the first national poll since Kevin Rudd returned as Prime Minister, results show he has taken a significant lead as the country's preferred leader.

Today's Galaxy poll published in News Limited papers reveals 51 per cent of respondents believe Mr Rudd would make the best prime minister, compared to 34 per cent for Mr Abbott.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

For you Attenborough fans

ABC posted:

Sir David Attenborough says the "collapse of our civilisations and the extinction of much of the natural world is on the horizon" unless urgent action is taken against global warming.

The 92-year-old famed British naturalist and BBC presenter blamed humans for the, "man-made disaster of global scale, our greatest threat in thousands of years".

"The world's people have spoken, their message is clear: time is running out," he said.

"They want you, the decision makers, to act now."

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Informer 3838 is also accused of providing information about the location of a drug laboratory belonging to her client [name suppressed], who was part of Mokbel’s criminal empire. It led to his arrest and she acted as his lawyer that same day. He eventually pleaded guilty.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Re Attenborough - took him long enough.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The lawyer began meeting informally with police in mid-2003, but from 2005 to 2009 she was registered as an informer.

A court concluded she had a mix of motivations for becoming an informer including ill health and feeling trapped in the criminal world of her clients.

She has previously sued the force and received a $2.88 million settlement, but she is now threatening to sue the state again over their failure to protect her identity.

“I feel the impact of this nightmare almost every single day,” she wrote in a letter to then Assistant Commissioner Stephen Fontana in 2015.

She has refused repeated offers to enter the witness protection program, saying she was not prepared to entrust her safety to the organisation that “so appallingly” breached her confidentiality.

Police paid for overseas travel, accommodation, body corporate fees, hire cars, fuel, mobile phone bills and a weekly stipend, The Age understands.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hollandia posted:

Re Attenborough - took him long enough.

He has been saying that we need collective action by humans to combat climate change since the mid-2000s. Like evey time he's been asked. His films are entertainment meant to spark a love for the beauty of nature and learn about it. His shows have mentioned climate change in passing, but they are not climate change documentaries. It's like criticising a documentary about pharmaceutical medicines for not screaming YEAH BUT SOME PEOPLE ARE ADDICTED TO FENTANYL every twenty seconds.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

2006:

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/attenborough-climate-change-is-the-major-challenge-facing-the-world-479459.html

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/MUPublishing/status/1069652606103052288

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Oh cool, I figured Attenborough had opinions on climate change but glad to hear he has actually been campaigning for action. Thanks JBP

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
NSW Government has announced another study on fast rail for the upcoming election

https://twitter.com/GladysB/status/1069718060456497152

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

bandaid.friend posted:

NSW Government has announced another study on fast rail for the upcoming election

https://twitter.com/GladysB/status/1069718060456497152

You'd think after the light rail fiasco they'd avoid building new poo poo and instead focus on making the existing infrastructure workable. Or like, build schools, hospitals, etc

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

teacup posted:

Hahaha. This means maybe the 52-48 was just within the MoE right?

I'm fairly sure the MoE on these polls is 2%? So yeah, absolutely. anything from 52-56 on the ALP side would have been within MoE. Polls aren't very helpful when taken out of context, you really need to look at the trends across about 6 or 7 polls to determine any real shifts. If it had shifted to 52/48 for a couple weeks in a row, I'd say it represented real change*

*That said, if it hits 56-58, I'm still gonna gloat hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

bell jar posted:

You'd think after the light rail fiasco they'd avoid building new poo poo and instead focus on making the existing infrastructure workable. Or like, build schools, hospitals, etc

But the great thing about fast rail is that you don't have to build it, just talk about it forever