Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Any recommendations on an impact bit set? I think I'd like more longer bits so I don't have to fiddle with a bit holder so much, but I'm OK with a mix of both. I did just get a Wera Tool Check, so is it OK to use those bits with an impact driver or should I really just pay up for an impact set?

Also, can you use drill bits with an impact driver? Seems like a bad idea to me, but I swear the manual was suggesting it was OK as long as they had a 1/4" shank.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
What are you drilling into that you need an impact driver? Do you just not have an ordinary drill?
I don't think regular drill bits in an impact driver sound like a good idea either, but I don't have any data to back it up. I've never seen "impact rated" drill bits, so it's possible that it's perfectly fine.

For impact bits, these Bosch ones come recommended by a tool blog I read (toolguyd) -

24 pc $10 set: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073HTGG7X/?tag=toolguyd-20
44 pc $20 set: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073HRZ86J/?tag=toolguyd-20
48 pc $26 set: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073HSGDBV/?tag=toolguyd-20

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I was curious more than anything. It just sounded like it could based on the manual (M12 Fuel 1/4”). I do have a drill, so I don’t need to.

Those sets look pretty good!

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

nitsuga posted:

Also, can you use drill bits with an impact driver? Seems like a bad idea to me, but I swear the manual was suggesting it was OK as long as they had a 1/4" shank.

You can drill holes with an impact driver. You should use impact-rated bits though, because regular ones can be kind of brittle, and shatter.

Also, I find when drilling sheet metal, the spiral flutes can "grab" the work material and become more like a really big self- tapping screw, and pull the drill bit into whatever it was on the other side of the sheet metal that you didn't want to hit.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Yep, drilling through thin materials with a normal drill bit is generally not a great idea for that reason, although you can make it work. If you have to do that sort of thing the regular, stepper bits are a good investment:

https://www.amazon.com/Step-Drill-Bits/b?ie=UTF8&node=256287011

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

with step drills you have to be careful on materials that work harden, or by the third step it will just eat your bit.

Know when to use a hole saw.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Anyone got any opinions on this kind of lift "tool"?

At first I thought it looked great, but then started to wonder if I can get under the car with the lines from it in the way. Also, I wonder if there is rooms to put jack stands behind it on the lift points so you can get the wheels off. I hate jacking up modern cars as the only official lift points are the pinch welds. I always feel like I'm ruining something. Lifting 40cm is pretty nice though...
$350 barely used second hand.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by "wonder if I can get under the car with the lines from it in the way."

Don't you just drive up on the checkerplate? And then it just lifts it with the wheels attached? You should have no problem with access unless I am misunderstanding you?

If you can get it cheap enough it might be OK, but you'll be limited to work that requires the wheels on it, unless you can maybe turn it 90 and use some lifting pucks on jack points?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Jack pucks might be a good thing to try instead of the wheel lifters. You could do both, but I’ve never had trouble jacking cars up on their pinch welds. Pads would be nice though.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

slidebite posted:

I'm not sure I follow what you mean by "wonder if I can get under the car with the lines from it in the way."

Don't you just drive up on the checkerplate? And then it just lifts it with the wheels attached? You should have no problem with access unless I am misunderstanding you?

If you can get it cheap enough it might be OK, but you'll be limited to work that requires the wheels on it, unless you can maybe turn it 90 and use some lifting pucks on jack points?

The pictures doesn't show it too well, but the hydraulic lines are kinda short, so I get the feeling that I'd run into them on my crawler all the time. The way I jack up the cars presently is on the pinch welds with a pad and then I put the jack stands on a frame part that I've seen it referred to as a mounting point from when the car was produced and held by those frame machine things.
Kinda like on this Dart (which I think shares a very similar platform). It's the only way to do it with jack stands and a jack.

There aren't really that many jobs you do without taking off the wheels when I think about it. Having one end 40cm higher than the other when doing gearbox oil etc isn't that great neither.

nitsuga posted:

Jack pucks might be a good thing to try instead of the wheel lifters. You could do both, but I’ve never had trouble jacking cars up on their pinch welds. Pads would be nice though.

I bought a lift pad and made a custom slot for the pinch weld and then use small bits of a rubber mat to protect the undercoating from the jack stand.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Is there no mechanical interlock or safety with those jacks? If not then I seriously doubt they are meant for doing anything other than lifting the wheels and then putting jackstands under the frame/pinch welds. No way would I get under a car lifted with just hydraulics and no safety.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just get a couple of spaghetti hydraulic hoses with whatever ends you need made up at your friendly local hydraulic place and route them however you need. What does this thing come with for "jacking" them? I presume some sort of electric over hydraulic power pack with an equalizing valve or something?

mod sassinator posted:

Is there no mechanical interlock or safety with those jacks? If not then I seriously doubt they are meant for doing anything other than lifting the wheels and then putting jackstands under the frame/pinch welds. No way would I get under a car lifted with just hydraulics and no safety.
That's a good observation. In case you have a valve/cylinder failure, a block or something under those things would be a really good idea just in case. Bit of a pain in the rear end, but the risk:benefit ratio is worth it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
It's a manual floor pump with two valves (one for each line) that you unscrew when lowering it. There is a locking mechanism that you apply, but (which is another drawback) only at the max lift point. To be honest, much better to just save my money and get a quick-jack or something in the future or something.
Damned expensive though.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 2, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So here's one. How to safely move a vehicle with no front suspension on it? I have a whole new front suspension coming for my C10 but I might need to pull it out of the garage before it gets here so that I can get the garage door replaced.

Jackstands on dollies?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
6x6 ratchet strapped to HF wheel dollies?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

So here's one. How to safely move a vehicle with no front suspension on it? I have a whole new front suspension coming for my C10 but I might need to pull it out of the garage before it gets here so that I can get the garage door replaced.

Jackstands on dollies?

1500lbs of counterweight at the back of the box.

Balance it right, and it's a segway.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Powershift posted:

1500lbs of counterweight at the back of the box.

Balance it right, and it's a segway.

I like this idea, but 2x4's are alway's the answer. Build a box that goes across the frame, or any convenient mounting points, use that to support from. Bonus points for just screwing castors onto the frame.
Edit: The 2x4 frame, not the trucks frame. Although....

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Need "quality of life" hand tool recommendations for my Amazon wish list. I already have all the basics but need gift ideas to give to family.

Stuff like interior trim tools, nice side cutters/lineman's, stuff like that.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
For electronics work, Hakko makes great side cutters and other tools. Like: https://www.amazon.com/CHP-170-Stand-Off-Maximum-Cutting-Capacity/dp/B076M3ZHBV They're not super expensive but they just feel right.. good plastic, very sharp, etc. Their wire strippers and pliers are nice too in my experience.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

For electronics work, Hakko makes great side cutters and other tools. Like: https://www.amazon.com/CHP-170-Stand-Off-Maximum-Cutting-Capacity/dp/B076M3ZHBV They're not super expensive but they just feel right.. good plastic, very sharp, etc. Their wire strippers and pliers are nice too in my experience.
100% agree. These are my go-to for cutting zip tie ends, or trimming items.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Depending on what they do, precision and security bits. Ifixit has a bunch of stuff.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Toolkits

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I actually have 2 pairs of flush cutters. One I only use on electronics (trimming leads, etc.) so they're in pristine condition. The other is for hacking up anything else--the blades look like poo poo (don't try to cut hardened steel, lol) so I don't feel bad abusing them. They're $5 so who cares what it costs to own two of them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Jackstands on dollies?
Chassis dolly:

Not sure where to get them in the US. It's exactly the kind of thing I'd expect Harbor Freight to sell, but seems not? They're about £100ish each here.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Chassis dolly:

Not sure where to get them in the US. It's exactly the kind of thing I'd expect Harbor Freight to sell, but seems not? They're about £100ish each here.

Yeah that's perfect, and yep I'm slightly amazed HF doesn't have anything like it.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah that's perfect, and yep I'm slightly amazed HF doesn't have anything like it.

Just use two $15 furniture dollies.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Need "quality of life" hand tool recommendations for my Amazon wish list. I already have all the basics but need gift ideas to give to family.

There are a bunch of Knipex pliers on Amazon, and I think most people here would vouch it's hard to go wrong with any of them. A Bucket Boss or some Wera screwdrivers might not be a bad idea either.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

nitsuga posted:

There are a bunch of Knipex pliers on Amazon, and I think most people here would vouch it's hard to go wrong with any of them. A Bucket Boss or some Wera screwdrivers might not be a bad idea either.

The only downside to knipex pliers is they are expensive to replace if you forget them on a jobsite. :negative:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

MRC48B posted:

The only downside to knipex pliers is they are expensive to replace if you forget them on a jobsite. :negative:

Someone needs to come up with a lost tool warranty.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

InitialDave posted:

Chassis dolly:

They are probably trying to figure out the "Brand Name" they want to sell it under.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Colostomy Bag posted:

They are probably trying to figure out the "Brand Name" they want to sell it under.

US Pittsburgh General Central Steel Pneumatic Force Master

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

opengl128 posted:

US Pittsburgh General Central Steel Pneumatic Force Master made in Glorious China
Missed one bit...

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
I am genuinely surprised I haven't seen a car barreling down the highway with its front on one of those trolleys. It would actually be safer than some cars I see on the road, lol.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mod sassinator posted:

I am genuinely surprised I haven't seen a car barreling down the highway with its front on one of those trolleys. It would actually be safer than some cars I see on the road, lol.

There's a bunch of videos on YT where people have lowered one corner onto a dolley of some sort and gone for a drive.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
So I got a leak down tester from Amazon. It came with fittings but no connection hoses so I have to find one.

I can do pressure in as it's just a simple compressor fitting. Pressure out a compressor fitting and some fine thread adapter that goes in the spark plug hole. The fittinhas male and female threads on it, same pitch on both sides.

Where can I get this hose from? From what I recall moat compressor fittings are npt.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

opengl128 posted:

One thing that popped into my head: hex drive bits. Especially for someone who goes to Ikea. Using a ratchet is so much nicer than the tiny Allen keys they include. Plus, you can use power tools!

Though I've been disappointed with my Capri set.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Also a set of pozidriv bits for Ikea screws

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well why we are at, get a set of JIS drivers.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

stgdz posted:

So I got a leak down tester from Amazon. It came with fittings but no connection hoses so I have to find one.

I can do pressure in as it's just a simple compressor fitting. Pressure out a compressor fitting and some fine thread adapter that goes in the spark plug hole. The fittinhas male and female threads on it, same pitch on both sides.

Where can I get this hose from? From what I recall moat compressor fittings are npt.

A store that sell hydraulic /pneumatic parts should have what you're looking for. Most of them can make hoses to whatever length you need.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

As a store that does this, I think that's pretty unlikely they will have that exact fitting, but a good store might be able to possibly cobble together an adapter with 2 different fittings.

Make sure you know what thread you need to end up with for your spark plug hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Costco has the Quickjack 5000slx on sale for $999, shipping included, on their website.