Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hearts are different from souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

KH is good and better than 99% of FF games and I'm sorry you brain can't understand that just because they weren't on a home console doesnn't mean they aren't entry in the story.

I understand it but I think it was a loving stupid terrible idea to fracture the audience that way. It was a bad...direction for the franchise to take.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

I understand it but I think it was a loving stupid terrible idea to fracture the audience that way. It was a bad...direction for the franchise to take.

Its dumb from a narrative perspective, but the story is so stupid that it also doesnt matter.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Epi Lepi posted:

Nah it's actually kind of neat for a story to actually build on itself in ways over the course of a bunch of different games and for the non-console games to be more than time wasting spin-offs.

Peace Walker is the best Metal Gear since 4 btw.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Splitting the story between a bunch of console and handheld-exclusive games is kinda dumb, even if they eventually rereleased them all for the PS4 or whatever. That’s the Sony console line and both handheld lines that the main story was split between, how many people were going to experience the entire story during that time span?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I played kingdom hearts one as a child and thought it was alright. Then I played the second one much later, and there was a lot that didn't make sense until I was informed that it was actually the third game in the series and that in order for it to make sense I would have to play chain of memories, which I did not do but I eventually got sort of a handle on it anyway. As of now Kingdom Hearts 3 is coming out and there are like, I don't know, actually a billion games between it and 2 which I will not play and I think at this point the distance between 2 and 3 is so great that I will actually not be able to understand any of it at all even slightly, so I probably just won't play it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
lft part 4: what the gently caress, part 4

the LFT documentation says that colliery has been redesigned to be "more difficult." what they don't tell you is that this means, "all enemies now have permanent innate reraise, not tied to their equipment"

it also says that the move-find rewards in this area have been reworked, but they haven't

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Mega64 posted:

Splitting the story between a bunch of console and handheld-exclusive games is kinda dumb, even if they eventually rereleased them all for the PS4 or whatever. That’s the Sony console line and both handheld lines that the main story was split between, how many people were going to experience the entire story during that time span?

The number of people that played the Witcher 3 while also completing 1 and 2 is way lower than you think.

People will jump on the newest numbered, canon series regardless and it'll ultimately not matter too much.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Spoilers: Most people won't care and will just jump on KH3 to see Frozen hi five an anime twink if the game is fun to play and the chosen among us who embraced the franchise as the big sprawling mess it was will get our big dumb ending alongside that.

Witcher 3 outsold the other 2 put together almost 3 times over. Nothing matters, this boat runs on smiles.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The weak hearted who haven't followed the single best thing SE has produced: I dunno I'm not sure I like a story that has been built up for so long in so many places

Nomura: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siPxyOxeQBc

In this metaphor the FF7 EU is Meatloaf, btw.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Tae posted:

The number of people that played the Witcher 3 while also completing 1 and 2 is way lower than you think.

People will jump on the newest numbered, canon series regardless and it'll ultimately not matter too much.

Witcher 3 has two things going for it that KH3 almost certainly will not have.

1) it doesn’t actually expect you to know much if anything from the prior games. It mostly introduces things from the books in ways that you can immediately grasp without having read the books and without doing shoehorned in info dumps.

2) it was a spectacularly good game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
>enemies with Galaxy Stop

playing LFT was a loving mistake

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Epi Lepi posted:

Witcher 3 has two things going for it that KH3 almost certainly will not have.

2) it was a spectacularly good game.

KH3 will unironically be one of the best action games of the year if not all time. Sorry friend

And the only good plot line in Witcher 3 was the children's card game.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Epi Lepi posted:

Nah he sucks rear end, and if you consider KH "consistently good" you have extremely low standards and extremely high tolerance for stupid bullshit. No one made him abandon real games for nonsense sidegames that make no sense, games that no one asked for. The fact that people will likely need to have played all of these myriad side games to understand where the story is at when KHIII finally comes out is just as much of a Bad Thing as the fact that his last two Triple A titles each floundered for 10 years. He's George Lucas in the prequel era, making stupid nonsense that no one asked for, completely misunderstanding what people liked about the things he created, and unable or unwilling to take any editing to make a better project.

If you think Nomura is not a problem at all then it is you in fact who are the big doofus.

This post is right and the KH games are worse than the XIII series of games, VII-Remake is never coming out, and Nomura is a hack.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Setting aside whether or not you like the Kingdom Hearts games, the initial line of discussion was whether Nomura is capable of putting out games that aren't dumpster fires at a steady pace, and the answer is yes, he can. It's AAA projects where the fuckups happen and given how universal that issue is in Square Enix I'm not gonna blame Nomura specifically for that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've given up any hope on KH3 not being disappointing as a fan primarily of 2.

But also I'm still going to buy it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It should have a mandatory 2 hour cutscene that summarizes the entire plot so far, goofy pre smartphone mobile games included

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
They should put out a goofy Youtube video summarizing it in the manner they did for FF13LR

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pureauthor posted:

They should put out a goofy Youtube video summarizing it in the manner they did for FF13LR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o1ieehttdA

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Calaveron posted:

It should have a mandatory 2 hour cutscene that summarizes the entire plot so far, goofy pre smartphone mobile games included

The MSG 4 install screen but it's just goofy and donald reading you a bedtime story that's the plot so far.

Arist posted:

I've given up any hope on KH3 not being disappointing as a fan primarily of 2.

But also I'm still going to buy it.

So far it looks to be KH2 + the parkour button from 3D and the style/finisher gauge from BBS.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

>enemies with Galaxy Stop

playing LFT was a loving mistake

I'm sorry no one told you the only good FFT romhack is the one where Ramza teams up with Cloud, Link, Dante, and Solid Snake to save the world.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The MSG 4 install screen but it's just goofy and donald reading you a bedtime story that's the plot so far.

So far it looks to be KH2 + the parkour button from 3D and the style/finisher gauge from BBS.

I don't like two of those three things!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Saucer Crab posted:

VII-Remake is never coming out

Nah, it'll come out, just the initial release is gonna be really underwhelming in terms of features and content and end before the end of Midgar. It'll be an episodic DLC-fest and they'll eventually finish it within about five years if it keeps making money.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Because Square has a rock solid reputation of following through with its planned dlcs

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"I actually don’t sympathize or empathize with Nomura at all,” Elentor says. Instead, he relates to the game’s mysterious creators, Sakaguchi or Yoshida, or literally anyone else. “I think I’m closer to those characters, so Nomura is like my enemy,” he says. “How I always think of him is I would unleash my posts on him"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Arist posted:

Shameful.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Arist posted:

As long as KH3 gives bosses hitstun we're good.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm sorry no one told you the only good FFT romhack is the one where Ramza teams up with Cloud, Link, Dante, and Solid Snake to save the world.

it is but it's also unfinished :(

Elentor posted:

"I actually don’t sympathize or empathize with Nomura at all,” Elentor says. Instead, he relates to the game’s mysterious creators, Sakaguchi or Yoshida, or literally anyone else. “I think I’m closer to those characters, so Nomura is like my enemy,” he says. “How I always think of him is I would unleash my posts on him"

Sakaguchi's ultimate attack is, he takes Tetsuya Nomura surfing

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Can't tell how much of this is a joke.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Schwartzcough posted:

Can't tell how much of this is a joke.

It is all true

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

LFT posted:

The Beowulf sidequest (Colliery, Nevelska) has been modified to fit with aftergame content and the fights have been redesigned from scratch to be appropriately challenging for optional encounters.

Well, yes. Three summoners with 1000 HP each (you can tell because demi 2 does 500 damage), a bird that can cast 100% accuracy slow+don't move, lv99 worker 8 with >900 HP, oh and did I mention these summoners have >12 speed? Every enemy is flagged to have invisible stats, so you can't tell what they're equipped with and it's impossible to plan for their loadouts.

That's not a "challenging map," that's sadism. This poo poo isn't redesigning from the ground up, you're just slapping together garbage units with impossible loadouts and an overwhelming mathematical advantage that a normal player can't overcome short of weird cheese strats.

Which, you know, I do know how to do. I think my complaints are legitimate given that I understand enough about this game's mechanics to overcome this fight. It's not impossible, it's just not fun.

I mean, unless your idea of fun is figuring out how to cheese Riovanes Rooftop. I know I challenged a poster on these forums once to do Riovanes Rooftop with Calculators Only, no Math Skill, so maybe this mod is for people like that. But it certainly isn't for me.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 4, 2018

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Kingdom Hearts 3 is like the Witcher 3 in that playing the first two games won't help you understand it

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I am playing ff7 for the first time and I have some questions. I just finished the motorcycle battle.

Since magic does more damage than physical damage, and I always seem to have enough MP through ether and rest, should I just spam it all the time? That's what I've been doing.

Can I screw my game up to unplayability without realizing it?

Are there any materia that I really need? In just discovered that cure+all makes the game A LOT EASIER.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 4, 2018

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

The Dregs posted:

I am playing this game for the first time and I have some questions. I just finished the motorcycle battle.

Since magic does more damage than physical damage, and I always seem to have enough MP through ether and rest, should I just spam it all the time? That's what I've been doing.

Are there any materia that I really need? In just discovered that cure+all makes the game A LOT EASIER.

Oh hello you must be talking about FF7

Nah, there's no downside to using magic all the time unless you go against something with lots of magic resist or something*

No, you can't gently caress up, FF7 is pretty easy

Enemy Skill is hilarious if you get the right skills on it, you permanently learn certain attacks from enemies when they hit you while it's equipped, some of them are busted like matra magic or if you can get beta from the big snake early (might have to google a strategy so you don't die) but in any case, you can't really go wrong, FF7 isn't too difficult a game, just do whatever's fun.

*Important to know that equipping materia changes your character's stats a little while it's equipped if you didn't notice. It says what stats it'll affect on the materia equip screen but in general, equipping a lot of magic materia will make your character have less HP and do less physical damage in exchange for more MP and more magic damage. So that might also be why magic is always doing more than just straight-up attacking for you :v:

It's like a more customizable job system from FFV, you can kinda just pick whatever you want each character to be good at. Well, except Aerith, she'll always be bad at physical attacking and good at doing magic no matter what, I'm pretty sure

Xad fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 4, 2018

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Xad posted:

Oh hello you must be talking about FF7

Nah, there's no downside to using magic all the time unless you go against something with lots of magic resist or something*

No, you can't gently caress up, FF7 is pretty easy

Enemy Skill is hilarious if you get the right skills on it, you permanently learn certain attacks from enemies when they hit you while it's equipped, some of them are busted like matra magic or if you can get beta from the big snake early (might have to google a strategy so you don't die) but in any case, you can't really go wrong, FF7 isn't too difficult a game, just do whatever's fun.

*Important to know that equipping materia changes your character's stats a little while it's equipped if you didn't notice. It says what stats it'll affect on the materia equip screen but in general, equipping a lot of magic materia will make your character have less HP and do less physical damage in exchange for more MP and more magic damage. So that might also be why magic is always doing more than just straight-up attacking for you :v:

It's like a more customizable job system from FFV, you can kinda just pick whatever you want each character to be good at. Well, except Aerith, she'll always be bad at physical attacking and good at doing magic no matter what, I'm pretty sure

I've only played ff1 and tactics before, I assume the job system is similar to the one in tactics?

Right now I am mainly partying with Tifa and Aerith because I am afraid to piss either of them off (if push comes to shove, I am gonna keep Tifa because I like her little shin kicks). I stuck Aerith in the back with cure+all and a Fire rune. Tifa is up front and does Lightning, while Cloud does Ice and has Cover and Sense equipped. Although now I am thinking he might do better damage with that mithril sword.

Honestly, I am not regretting playing this sooner. I never got into JRPG's because I hate that you can't make your own guys. If I had realized there was so much customizeability, I would have tried them before now. Also, anime.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

The Dregs posted:

I've only played ff1 and tactics before, I assume the job system is similar to the one in tactics?

Oh, there's no actual job system, the only things that make the characters unique are their stats/weapons and limit breaks, beyond that you have full control over who does what

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

The Dregs posted:

I am playing ff7 for the first time and I have some questions. I just finished the motorcycle battle.

That may be the case at the start of the game, but IIRC at some point physical attacks from most characters will start to do more damage than the magic you have available unless you've been grinding a lot or got some sick enemy skills. It does also depend on your materia set up. Like Xad said it's an easy enough game so just do what you like. Getting the really good magic/summons always seemed too time consuming for me so I usually end the game using a lot of physical attacks (you get some really good materia that enhances them towards the end of the game)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nobody has a job in 7. You just equip whatever gear and magic/abilities to them you want and it makes them into whatever role you need or however much of a role you need. I.e. it could make sense for a tough fight to have everyone know cure so in a pinch they can heal while still having one character with more healing options.

Not all JRPGs give you the flexibility like this, but most of them now do let you customize builds or at least skills slightly rather than FFIVs completely static characters.

As for your party FFVII is super easy so you can steam roll the game with whoever you want but be aware that the big differentiation between characters that is unchanging is limit breaks and that means certain characters are DPS wise always better than others.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The Dregs posted:

Yeah, until you get to the late game when you actually get some materia that supports your physical attacks, magic is pretty much king. Black magic for boss fights, enemy skills and summons for trash because they don't need an All support and they don't get penalized for multitargeting. Also fun fact, spells from Poison and Earth materias are slightly more powerful than spells of the equivalent tier from Fire, Ice, and Lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Because you need to equip materia to level it up, I always rolled with all materia all the time when I was a kid, even if it lowered my HP/Atk or whatever. Gotta grind out those stars. I felt like the stat changes were negligible when compared to what you could do with the right materia combinations.