Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Giodo! posted:

I'm pretty sure that wish is just a reference to the movie Sneakers, where the heist crew gets to ask for anything they want.

https://youtu.be/S0sEWM_cx5Q

Just imagine the discussion we'd be having if they'd have wished for the genie's phone number

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Bonnono posted:

Last night characters were granted a wish. So after giving them 5 minutes to table talk it out one of them blurted out “Peace on earth with goodwill towards all men”. Trying to think up a creative way to interpret this since the name of the world is not earth.

Echoing all the above posters, who have better idea than I, but:

As a result of the wish, any sentient being who makes physical contact with the ground is overcome with a tremendous desire to avoid conflict and violence. This, of course affects very few warring factions, thanks to shoes and the like, but it creates a tremendous incentive to wage war - if you're the victor, you can permanently enslave the losing group/country/etc by "peacebonding" the vanquished to the earth. Shoes become outlawed, etc.

Also a tremendous number of donated clothing stores mysteriously open up throughout the world. No one knows how they came into being, or why they are staffed with low level Devils (or genies if this was a genie wish), but the clothing is pretty cheap and "basically" curse free. Strangely, they only serve males, and some people suspect that this is all the result of a poorly worded wish.

:v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Drewjitsu posted:

Echoing all the above posters, who have better idea than I, but:

As a result of the wish, any sentient being who makes physical contact with the ground is overcome with a tremendous desire to avoid conflict and violence. This, of course affects very few warring factions, thanks to shoes and the like, but it creates a tremendous incentive to wage war - if you're the victor, you can permanently enslave the losing group/country/etc by "peacebonding" the vanquished to the earth. Shoes become outlawed, etc.

Also a tremendous number of donated clothing stores mysteriously open up throughout the world. No one knows how they came into being, or why they are staffed with low level Devils (or genies if this was a genie wish), but the clothing is pretty cheap and "basically" curse free. Strangely, they only serve males, and some people suspect that this is all the result of a poorly worded wish.

:v:

In case you’re wondering: yes, he is an actual lawyer.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

For Peace On Earth, I would also accept a total stop to all seismic activity, causing volcano fueled dwarf forges to go dark.

This is coupled with:

Goodwill: (accounting) an intangible asset valued according to the advantage or reputation a business has acquired (over and above its tangible assets)

Where people continue to pay for goods from the dwarves that they're no longer producing. And then the Mithril Weapon Bubble crashes, and Adventurer Economics completely collapse.

Any weapons/armor made from metal are 100x cost as kingdoms start hoarding them for their armies, and now there's a glut of enchanted robes/leather that swamp the market and literally everybody has +1 Leather. Random goblin tribe? Fully kitted out with lovely daggers and +1 Leather.

I'd give it a good 6 months of in game time before the bubble pops.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Arivia posted:

In case you’re wondering: yes, he is an actual lawyer.

I would love to DM a game, moreso if my players started throwing poorly worded wishes around. :getin:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Let me just spin the wheel of excuses for why we aren't getting more content:
https://www.dndbeyond.com/posts/382-chris-perkins-steps-down-from-acquisitions-inc

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Speaking of new content, word on the street is there’s a new box set coming with a new starter adventure, more dice, a dm screen, some other goodies, and a coupon for buying the rulebooks on D&D Beyond. Idk if it’s going to replace the current starter set or just act as a more extensive entry point. Would have made sense to get it out this year before the gift giving season but :shrug:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kaysette posted:

Speaking of new content, word on the street is there’s a new box set coming with a new starter adventure, more dice, a dm screen, some other goodies, and a coupon for buying the rulebooks on D&D Beyond. Idk if it’s going to replace the current starter set or just act as a more extensive entry point. Would have made sense to get it out this year before the gift giving season but :shrug:

Wait, they're making a 3rd starter adventure. They still havn't done a single adventure that covers 15-20 lol.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kingcom posted:

Wait, they're making a 3rd starter adventure. They still havn't done a single adventure that covers 15-20 lol.

High levels are harrrrrrd man

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
It's hard to create higher level content, what with the lack of higher level content.

I thought there was already at least one adventure that reached max level, did I imagine it? If they haven't, how high up have they gone?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Dungeon of the mad mage says it goes from 5-20 so combined with Dragon Heist (1-5) you do have a complete 1-20 adventure there.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

Dungeon of the mad mage says it goes from 5-20 so combined with Dragon Heist (1-5) you do have a complete 1-20 adventure there.

I’m going to bet they’ll put a giant hoard at the bottom of Undermountain and ruin the whole mad idea of Halaster’s final challenges. (It’s supposed to be a gotcha, where you fight through gauntlets of crazy monsters and get nothing for your trouble.)

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Isn't that just a megadungeon though?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Arivia posted:

I’m going to bet they’ll put a giant hoard at the bottom of Undermountain and ruin the whole mad idea of Halaster’s final challenges. (It’s supposed to be a gotcha, where you fight through gauntlets of crazy monsters and get nothing for your trouble.)

He has some cool personal-use poo poo with him, but no, there's no big treasure down at the bottom. You meet with Halaster who either thanks you for inadvertently aiding his plots but/or doesn't really want anything more to do with the party, so sends them on their way. Unless you want to fight him, in which case he obligues, and if you win the bulk of the undermountain collapses/gets sucked into the astral plane for a spell till Halaster gets revived.

Or one of his apprentices takes over, ending him permanently. That's a possibility, as well.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

He has some cool personal-use poo poo with him, but no, there's no big treasure down at the bottom. You meet with Halaster who either thanks you for inadvertently aiding his plots but/or doesn't really want anything more to do with the party, so sends them on their way. Unless you want to fight him, in which case he obligues, and if you win the bulk of the undermountain collapses/gets sucked into the astral plane for a spell till Halaster gets revived.

Or one of his apprentices takes over, ending him permanently. That's a possibility, as well.

I guess Waterdeep just caves in then. Undermountain is literally its support structure. GG WotC your terrible writers strike again.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Arivia posted:

I guess Waterdeep just caves in then.

Good imo. Shake up the status quo to some degree with 5e please. I don't want an entire retcon of the stuff I liked in the FR.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

gently caress Waterdeep.

And the rest of Forgotten Realms, to be honest.

Detective Eyestorm
Jan 6, 2012
Halaster's Tower collapses - not the entirety of Undermountain, just his tower and the demiplane around it. (Although all of Waterdeep caving in would, in fact, kick rear end and be extremely good.)

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
So my first time out DMing Death House, the characters skipped over most of the 1st level of the basement and got right into the sacrifice room. Before they even approached the altar, triggering the whole sacrifice scenario, one of them decided to shoot an arrow into the pile of refuse/shambling mound. In retrospect, maybe I shouldn't have had that immediately provoke him into attacking before they were told to make a sacrifice, but it is what I ended up doing. I tried to encourage them to run for it, not wanting to kill them off. But they ended up kiting the sucker and killing it. It straight-up did not occur to me that monsters should be using the dash action, so I was pretty confused about how a shambling mound is supposed to be any kind of threat at all.

I think that encounter ended up being a bit of a let-down for everyone involved, both because it ended up just being a long and tedious tabletop version of cheesing an Infinity Engine game, but also because they skipped over much of the content that would have provided some context for it. It's also going to make the next session a little awkward, because now they want to go back and explore the rest of the dungeon (fair enough, I want to as well), but we won't have the fun urgency of a chase scene being followed by the escape from a mansion going mad. I'm thinking that maybe I'll swap out some of the undead monsters for objects controlled by the house itself, like they'd see in the upper floors.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Bonnono posted:

Last night characters were granted a wish. So after giving them 5 minutes to table talk it out one of them blurted out “Peace on earth with goodwill towards all men”. Trying to think up a creative way to interpret this since the name of the world is not earth.

Read Marvel Knights 4 issue story "Silver Surfer: Requiem" in part 2 the Surfer grants exactly 5 minutes of total peace and freedom to everyone on Earth. For 5 minutes there is no fighting, or death, or fear. People feel completely without obligation or need for 5 minutes.

Its a really beautiful moment and while it doesnt automatically fix all the wars and rivalries, the effects are profound and long-felt.

Its the kind of Wish that creates a bunch of plot hooks and character origins later. Its the kind of poo poo that could make the party meet a reformed Lich that's Good as a result of the Five Minutes of Freedom.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

kingcom posted:

Arivia posted:

Gharbad the Weak posted:

It's hard to create higher level content, what with the lack of higher level content.

Imagine, if you will, a game where you could pick up the simple early levels in a box, and if that's all you wanted, you could be content with that. Levels 1-5. The Beginner Set. A tightly focused dungeon-centric game where local 14 year old shitfarmers and down-at-the-heel scholars who've never been graverobbing before just maybe barely survive with the loot.

Then add the Extended Set, which has levels 5-10 and rules about adventuring through the wilderness and hex-crawling around on the fringes of civilisation and fighting the vanguard of the encroaching orc hordes / barbarians / undead menace / etc. A story-and-survival game where competent adventurers can make a name for themselves and end up as Baron of the Swamp Marches or Boss Wizard of the Northern Waste or whatever.

Next, think of a further-extended game, going from levels 11 to 15 and focusing on the kingdom's Champions as they defeat the aforementioned hordes, save the kingdom from certain doom, and generally do major heroic champion stuff.

Finally, a set that focuses on doing the impossible, like killing an Immortal and taking their place.

Now imagine that you are explicitly supposed to start at the start of whichever set fits the game you want.

Also there's an Ultimate Edition with everything in it in a giant nerd cred box.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
The secret to finding a good 1-20 5e campaign is converting a pathfinder AP

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ritorix posted:

The secret to finding a good 1-20 5e campaign is converting a pathfinder AP

don't those end at 12 because it's too hard to keep accounting for high level powers

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Most are around 15, 16 or so. Speed up the 5e pacing from level 1-4 and it is roughly the same. Plots are more coherent than what 5e offers.

My home game doing that is at 19 now. that poo poo gets crazy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

don't those end at 12 because it's too hard to keep accounting for high level powers

15-17. The last couple are going to 20 though (so Return of the Runelords and the one about the Whispering Tyrant.) Wrath of the Righteous goes to 20 but uh good luck putting that in 5e.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Btw the AL had these the estimates along with their post extending the current season through next August.

Current play estimations for season 8 are as follows:

WDH. ~32 hours

DMM. [if running every floor] ~120-160 hours

DDAL08-00 through -18. ~80 hours

DDEP08-01through -03. ~3 hours each

Guild Adept content for WDH & DMM. still developing & releasing

… So if the average DM runs 4-6 hours a week for their group and never attends conventions or public events, this is approximately one (1) forever of game time.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Arivia posted:

Why do high levels even exist? Theres no content for them, and the power levels get so silly that the whole game falls apart.

So why even have rules for them?

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Why do high levels even exist? Theres no content for them, and the power levels get so silly that the whole game falls apart.

Tradition, I guess.

Also, at least since 3.5, the game was balanced around the average player being too stupid and system-incompetent to actually break the game to a meaningful degree.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Because grogs would completely lose their poo poo and start screaming from the rooftops about how they ruined the game.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Because grogs would completely lose their poo poo and start screaming from the rooftops about how they ruined the game.

Well yeah, but how come it's level 20 that's how high it has to go to or the game is ruined? Why not 30? Or on a per-class basis? Why not Attack Rank M? :argh:

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

AlphaDog posted:

Well yeah, but how come it's level 20 that's how high it has to go to or the game is ruined? Why not 30? Or on a per-class basis? Why not Attack Rank M? :argh:

I guess you'd have to be one of them to say for sure. But I'm guessing it's because that's the way it was when they were 13 years old.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AlphaDog posted:

The first edition if D&D, confusingly named Dungeons and Dragons 3.5, did 1 to 20. 4e messed with that formula and therefore it should never be changed again.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

AlphaDog posted:

This brought back memories of first edition, where being a Druid was literally a job and you could only level up if there was a vacancy above you. Better hope your circle’s archdruid is a remarkably sickly human and not a health nut elf.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Was that just the druid? I could swear there was another one. I may be confusing editions.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Reveilled posted:

This brought back memories of first edition, where being a Druid was literally a job and you could only level up if there was a vacancy above you. Better hope your circle’s archdruid is a remarkably sickly human and not a health nut elf.

I don't think elves could become druids back then (this was back when class restrictions for races was still a thing - I believe 3rd edition was where they officially dropped that).

Though IIRC high-level druids could level up by defeating a higher-ranked druid in a duel.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Was that just the druid? I could swear there was another one. I may be confusing editions.

The monk was similar. Had to defeat the next highest in the heirarchy beyond a certain level to advance.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I might be tapped to DM 5e for some people at my university in a few hours, I have no experience with 5e and very limited experience at DMing. Is there some quick reference sheet for the rules I can have handy? Or anything else that might help.
I assume that gradenko's monstermath is still relevant and hasn't been obsoleted.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Honestly, the high level stuff is what really appeals to me about 3.5 and 5e. I know it isn't balanced at all, but being able to create infinite copies of myself via Simulacrum and Wish and other nonsense over the top world bending poo poo is why I really play these editions. If I want something more well balanced and tactical, I'm going to 4e in a heartbeat. If I want nonsense, over-the-top magic I play 3.5. And if I want slightly less nonsense over-the-top magic with less rules bloat, 5e is perfect for it. The high levels feel like rewards for playing the game in a way the early levels, as fun and engaging as they are, don't. I want to be able to create other realms of existence, I want to banish supremely powerful beings to magical mazes somewhere in the ether, I want to conjure dragons from the stuff of thought, I want to bend crowds of people to my will. Am I alone in this?

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 4, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
You're not alone in that. It's a much different experience because whatever plot you're supposed to care about stops mattering when you have world traveling , Earth shattering powers and you might as well go full sandbox at that point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I read the part about druid rear end kicking based hierarchy and the "nut" part of health nut and I've decided that druids should decide who rises in the ranks based on loving. Its not clear to outsiders how they decide who wins, but the druids know.