Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

RatHat posted:

What do you mean annoying to use?

It has a bar that drains when you use it, this bar has to be fully filled for you to use it. If you tap the button and release it the bar will drain completely. It's very strange and extremely annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

TjyvTompa posted:

It has a bar that drains when you use it, this bar has to be fully filled for you to use it. If you tap the button and release it the bar will drain completely. It's very strange and extremely annoying.

the more wingsuit stunts you do the better it gets

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
You had to level it up in JC3 as well.

Also I don't know what people are talking about with the difficulty. They give you all the tools you need to take care of all the choppers and tanks poo poo, and stealing enemy vehicles is super easy. As long as you're active and moving it's not really a problem.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
eurogamer gave this a Recommended rating

reactions to this thing seem powerfully mixed

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I woke up and read the Eurogamer review, recalled having a good time with JC2 and then picked it up on Green Man Gaming. After I kicked off the preload I came to see if there if was a thread and found all of this. Even worse, I bought it since I have a few hours to kill this morning, but apparently the normal version doesn't unlock till 11:00AM Pacific.

Am I screwed, or is there a way to refund activated Steam Key purchases? I'm thinking not...

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I woke up and read the Eurogamer review, recalled having a good time with JC2 and then picked it up on Green Man Gaming. After I kicked off the preload I came to see if there if was a thread and found all of this. Even worse, I bought it since I have a few hours to kill this morning, but apparently the normal version doesn't unlock till 11:00AM Pacific.

Am I screwed, or is there a way to refund activated Steam Key purchases? I'm thinking not...

Its sitting at an 8.8 user score on metacritic currently. I think the reason people seem down on it is because only the people not enjoying it are posting, everyone who is enjoying it is playing.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
That's a shame to hear about the issues with this game, hopefully they fix it later on down the line.

And if not maybe they'll put it up for free on PS+ like they did with JC3

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
There is obviously some problem with the textures and the blur. Maybe the motion blur is intended but this can't be: https://xboxclips.com/tjiev/5c49187b-82a5-4967-b598-52477e084b1a

That the game is difficult is not really a problem, it's just a statement, it's a difficult game. I think the game is there, it just has some issues. I don't think Avalanche will fix any of them, that's not their style. My biggest problem is that the blur is causing eye-strain giving me a headache, otherwise it's fine, it's no Fallout 76 :)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

No, GMG won't even refund unactivated Steam keys. If you've got a key, baby you're stuck with it.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Like, I think the biggest problem is that the world feels very empty. I spent a good 20 minutes today trying to figure out how to increase my chaos meter, because (behind enemy lines) it was pretty tough to find things to fight or blow up. Enemies are concentrated where the front lines are, don’t seem to roam all that much, and most locations in the game aren’t all that interactive - just spots where they throw a couple of driving/wingsuit challenges, none of which are that entertaining.

For a game that’s supposed to be all about chaos, it’s remarkably ordered.

From the Eurogamer review: Solis, meanwhile, the country you're dropped into, is pretty and varied - jungle, desert, snow and lovely coast all accounted for, alongside lovely spiny mountains and looping roads. But like other Just Cause locations, it utterly fails to come into focus as an actual place where set-pieces are connected in any kind of meaningful way. More than before, in fact, this is just a cluster of concrete military bases where the missions happen, connected by foliage and expanses of sand or snow.

The review reads basically like what everybody here is saying. The caveat is if playing with rag doll corpses for hours is worth $60, the game will give you that in spades.

VanillaGorilla fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 4, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What's your toolset in this game? Do you still have unlimited booster grenades?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
gently caress it, let's go for this ride. I'll play past refund time tonight and give my honest opinions. Might even do a video thing, we'll see.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hopefully there’s some mods or something to fix the jetpack, ugh.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Calaveron posted:

What's your toolset in this game? Do you still have unlimited booster grenades?

From the looks of it, yes, and you can remotely attach them with the grapple now instead of placing them by hand

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Can you set the boosters to just be boosters, or do they have to explode? That was my major beef with them in JC3.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

The wingsuit seems incredibly slow and not fun this time around.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Check this poo poo out on my PS Pro (ie: it's not my settings or my drivers, it's the game)

The most eye-destroying water animation ever devised by man:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2HMFOrdXAg

And a very special clip involving a heaving, throbbing rock who only wants to be noticed by Rico:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6d0Z-xuKgk

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Merrill Grinch posted:

Check this poo poo out on my PS Pro (ie: it's not my settings or my drivers, it's the game)

And a very special clip involving a heaving, throbbing rock who only wants to be noticed by Rico:

Wow, that... um...

I was really stoked about JC4 but didn't preorder (just) 'cause I was broke, this is a great incentive to wait for a deep, deep sale.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JC3 wasn't great but it was alright, that seems like one hell of a nose dive.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

JC3 wasn't great but it was alright, that seems like one hell of a nose dive.

yyeah JC3 got boring and had long load times but it wasnt this kind of a mess. at least it looked good.

its too bad though JC2 had one of the most beautiful open worlds of its time and now theyve got the ugliest

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I decided to keep this and try it out.

The default resolution is PS1 bad and the cutscene graphics are MUCH worse than in game.

Like holy poo poo it's bad.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Maybe I'm being hyper critical, but I've always remembered the Just Cause games looking pretty good, if having some generic architecture. I've played for about 30 minutes and it looks like absolute trash at maxed out settings, though it does run well. I'm not sure how they can fix this, its like the game is just missing a quality pass or three.

Edit: I bought this to get away from it, but I guess I'm going back to grinding in RD:O until there's some kind of response about this.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

gently caress me this is bad.

It defaulted to 1280X720 for some reason.

I have 30 minutes in. If I don't play for a week, can I still get a refund on Steam?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Almost makes you wonder if they mistakenly released some weird pre-release code of the game.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I was rooting for this game after skipping JC3 but yikes maybe that one poster was right about JC2 being a One Hit Wonder from Avalanche.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

what's wrong with this dude's chest hair

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

by having the b-team work on it a second time while the a-team works on a different sequel that nobody ever asked for

tbh working on Rage 2 with the masterminds at id Software was probably a better bet since Rage 2 looks great. But yeah I read the RPS review on this and it seemed like more of everything I hated about JC3 i.e. busywork, bad UI, gating off things, etc.

Merrill Grinch posted:

Everybody's bitching about Bethesda's massive gently caress-up but Square Enix has now put out this, the Quiet Man and Shadow of the Tomb Raider in less than two months.

Between these 3 games + pitching in NOTHING for Smash Bros beyond bare minimum + FF7 delays/ending FF15 dlcs + letting go of Hitman + icing Deus Ex, Squeenix is definitely in "mid-2000s Capcom" territory of loving up their IPs and properties. Besides Octopath Traveler and re-releasing TWEWY, they've had a poo poo-tier year as a publisher and developer.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is what it looks like on my new $3000 desktop with everything cranked to max.

Eep.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Played a few more hours last nite and here's my criticisms besides graphics and some buggy levels:
- Exploring and chaos isn't really rewarded and the new mechanics of chaos aren't as enjoyable as before. The psychological reward of conquering to new territories is not the same as before at all. Like you can explore a city if you want, but there's nothing to do there and it's not really populated with NPCs or things to find to have any reward loop. It really is a huge map centered around set piece missions with little point to do typical JC things. Example: going into a new city and blowing up civilian things and gas stations didn't cause any heat.
- Had the first timed level about driving cars into the water. Was really bad and impossible to beat on the first try. At least failures let you start over in a way that you can beat it. Annoying at the very least.
- Some of the vehicles need better models. Ultralight flies at 280 kmph, some of the large vehicle handling is just really goofy compared to smaller cars. Collision mechanics in planes/helicopters really need to be fixed.
- UI is rather cumbersome. Hard to tell if I'm actually being tracked by baddies.
- Heat progression is a little weird. It does try to adapt to your vehicle but they seem to stop sending troops and only send helicopters at some point.
- Frontline battles aren't really that interested. Enemies don't seem to be spawned in until you're actually behind enemy lines. Once you're there, a lot spawn in fast. There's no reward to participating in battles I've seen so far.

That said, I really do like the map and think they did a great job. If they could motivate exploration more, like collectables in JC2 or 3, that would go a long way. Maybe I haven't seen any yet??

Something that took me by surprise was getting precision bombed at high heat twice. The bomber jets don't mess around.

guidoanselmi fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 4, 2018

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Day one DLCs that aren't included in the season pass, gently caress yes, I love this trend.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
From reviews it looks like taking over bases by blowing everything up is gone, and now the only way to take them over is buy doing a couple of dumb missions. Is that right? I can forgive lovely graphics if the game's fun, but if they take away what I spent 100% of my JC3 game time doing I'll give it a miss.

Also one review showed how now that liberating a province is done by spending tokens earned from missions, once you've liberated an area you still get points for blowing up your own poo poo. They had a base on the front line on their side bombarding the enemy lines across a river and the dude was blowing up his own factory and getting points for it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Welp, I was hoping this would improve on the last game's failures, but now maybe I'll just pick up JC3 on the cheap if I want some mindless destruction. I hear this game doesn't even have C4s or grenades anymore? :wtf:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I don't even care that much about the graphics or whatever, but it seems like they've barely iterated on 2 and 3's mechanics at all. What was the big selling point of this game again? Tornadoes?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

toiletbrush posted:

From reviews it looks like taking over bases by blowing everything up is gone, and now the only way to take them over is buy doing a couple of dumb missions. Is that right? I can forgive lovely graphics if the game's fun, but if they take away what I spent 100% of my JC3 game time doing I'll give it a miss.

Also one review showed how now that liberating a province is done by spending tokens earned from missions, once you've liberated an area you still get points for blowing up your own poo poo. They had a base on the front line on their side bombarding the enemy lines across a river and the dude was blowing up his own factory and getting points for it.

I blow everything up, them release the prisoners or whatever

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Merrill Grinch posted:

That graphics poo poo sucks but what concerns me even more is how you got stuck on ground geometry several times in the second clip. From everything people are saying it seems like they just did absolutely no testing or QA

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

CharlestonJew posted:

I don't even care that much about the graphics or whatever, but it seems like they've barely iterated on 2 and 3's mechanics at all. What was the big selling point of this game again? Tornadoes?

When every interview with the developers became about the weather and nothing else I started to sweat. Now I know why!

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

toiletbrush posted:

Yup!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

i haven't played JC since JC2. Even taht game just feels too big oppose to something like wildlands which has poo poo everywhere, or GTA etc etc. The world felt dead compared to other "living" worlds games. (examples.. GTA, Wildlands, the division)

I was really hoping that JC4 would be fun. but so far the mixed reviews and some of those shots have made me feel like I'm not pulling the trigger.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mordja posted:

Welp, I was hoping this would improve on the last game's failures, but now maybe I'll just pick up JC3 on the cheap if I want some mindless destruction. I hear this game doesn't even have C4s or grenades anymore? :wtf:

removing C4 wtf that is a legit step backward from the other games. christ JC2 really was a fluke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

When every interview with the developers became about the weather and nothing else I started to sweat. Now I know why!

Yeah. 2 GPU crashes in 20 minutes. I'm still in the tutorial, and as soon as something happens, the GPU enters an infinite loop.

Controls feel less 'snappy' in parachute climbing. Bokeh is bloody annoying because I paid good money for glasses.