Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

an actual dog posted:

If the NYT starts reviewing anime regularly we might finally get reviews worse than ANN

They should review shounen harems exclusively, with real effort reviews. Picking a best girl is of course required.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The state of anime reviews is just generally terrible. At least the ANN writers can string a sentence together.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ccs posted:

The state of anime reviews is just generally terrible. At least the ANN writers can string a sentence together.

I remember someone here remarking that this is why Theron Martin has a job; there's a lot of people with the same (terrible) taste as him, but most of those people can't write coherently.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Whenever something gets made part of the 'canon' it also gets almost any element of personality removed from its public image.

Tons of people are still surprised when you tell them Shakespeare had 'your mom' jokes and innuendo.

Wark Say posted:

Question: Is there anything like ROT3K but that covers a different (preferably more recent) period of Chinese history? I'm always down for some books to have for long period reads.
Water Margin is fiction, but it deals a lot with the Song dynasty, and it's based on an actual historical figure. The Song dynasty is 10th-12th Century, iirc. A lot of it's weird side anecdotes about its massive cast. It's also hilarious. This is on the wikipedia page so it's hardly a deep cut but I still love this:

quote:

"These seduction cases are the hardest of all. There are five conditions that have to be met before you can succeed. First, you have to be as handsome as Pan An. Second, you need a tool as big as a donkey's. Third, you must be as rich as Deng Tong. Fourth, you must be as forbearing as a needle plying through cotton wool. Fifth, you've got to spend time. It can be done only if you meet these five requirements." "Frankly, I think I do. First, while I'm far from a Pan An, I still can get by. Second, I've had a big cock since childhood."

It was written in casual Chinese instead of classical, so the entire thing's very conversational and flows.

I've heard decent things about The Moon in the Palace, a novel about Wu Zetian, the Empress of the Zhou Dynasty, but its not exactly classical chinese literature seeing as it was written in 2016, lol. I haven't read it myself, either.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posted:

The book's interesting but it's also insanely tersely written and things like 'character arcs' barely exist. It's all stuff like "Zhang Liao ran forward from the battlements, killing tens of hundreds of thousands of Wu soldiers. The soldiers were much impressed by this display. Sun Quan began to weep." If that sounds like a fun read to you, go for it, because I kind of enjoy it, but.
Romance of the Three Kingdoms gains a lot if you have a good commentary to go with it from someone who both knows their history and literary context. I can't really recommend my old college professors, but the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms podcast is a deceit amateur effort.

The Water Margin is also more fictionalized than Romance of the Three Kingdoms, but still based on actual events.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://twitter.com/DB_super2015/status/1068520135583879169

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2018/12/03/ssss-gridman-production-notes-9/

Production notes on the latest Gridman - noteworthy partly because Gridman 9 was jaw-droppingly good and partly because there's a lot of crossover with other recent up-and-coming animators.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Terrible Opinions posted:

Romance of the Three Kingdoms gains a lot if you have a good commentary to go with it from someone who both knows their history and literary context. I can't really recommend my old college professors, but the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms podcast is a deceit amateur effort.
the best commentary is reading it on the old kongming.net site where ZHANGFEIFAN20232 can go 'lol hes fat' every time dong zhuo is mentioned

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
that was basically the show too tbf

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The show is excellent and probably the best way to experience the story. Either that or Dynasty Warriors 3 English dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF-MDuXXiSI

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Water Margin is incredibly fun to read, there are jokes and phrases in it that have been stuck in my head ever since, like "I will sell this column of hot blood to the man who appreciates it's warmth" and "Of the 52 ways to get out of trouble, the best one is...leave."

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

There's a chapter called "Wu Yong by a ruse captures the birthday gifts" which should tell you a lot about how great it is

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Silver2195 posted:

I remember someone here remarking that this is why Theron Martin has a job; there's a lot of people with the same (terrible) taste as him, but most of those people can't write coherently.

I wouldn’t want his job. Frog-kun has a good thing going though

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Whenever something gets made part of the 'canon' it also gets almost any element of personality removed from its public image.

Tons of people are still surprised when you tell them Shakespeare had 'your mom' jokes and innuendo.

Water Margin is fiction, but it deals a lot with the Song dynasty, and it's based on an actual historical figure. The Song dynasty is 10th-12th Century, iirc. A lot of it's weird side anecdotes about its massive cast. It's also hilarious. This is on the wikipedia page so it's hardly a deep cut but I still love this:

It was written in casual Chinese instead of classical, so the entire thing's very conversational and flows.

I've heard decent things about The Moon in the Palace, a novel about Wu Zetian, the Empress of the Zhou Dynasty, but its not exactly classical chinese literature seeing as it was written in 2016, lol. I haven't read it myself, either.
Oh my drat, that sounds like my jam! I'll check it out. :)

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ccs posted:

How so? Mind you I don't pay attention to any of this poo poo beyond seeing what some may say about shows that I like or follow and get most of my recs from my own group elsewhere.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Endorph posted:

Any particular translation you recommend for Water Margin?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Argas posted:

Any particular translation you recommend for Water Margin?

Sidney Shapiro's is probably the best

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

doomrider7 posted:

How so? Mind you I don't pay attention to any of this poo poo beyond seeing what some may say about shows that I like or follow and get most of my recs from my own group elsewhere.

There are the bad faith youtube video reviewers like DigiBro, a bunch of barely readable reviews on myanimelist, and a few confused mainstream critics who will review the most mainstream anime with a sense of "what is all this then."

ANN reviewers can at least string a sentence together and naturally transition between critiquing various aspects of a show even if their conclusions are wrong or weird.

Sakugablog is good, but they're mostly concentrating on the production aspects and animation quality, and won't spend time on shows without stand out animation.

If anyone knows of other good review sites I'd like to read them.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

doomrider7 posted:

calling female mangaka gross sexist men to be woke because googling an author's mangaupdates page was too much of a hassle

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

DisDisDis posted:

calling female mangaka gross sexist men to be woke because googling an author's mangaupdates page was too much of a hassle

When did this happen?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I will now become the anime reviewer.
Hello I haven't watched any anime this week but yesterday I did watch Black Klansman which was really good. Actually it was the first spike lee movie i ever saw. I also saw that Crazy Rich Asians movie everyone was talking about, and you know what I did enjoy it. I would watch the sequel.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

you didn't even get the movie name right

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Sorry, BlacKkKlansman

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Seven episodes in, I'm honestly pretty disappointed by Tsurune. It doesn't feel like Minato's done much of substance since like episode two, and none of the rest of the cast have grabbed me at all. 3 of the other 4 main boys haven't really shown me anything besides Back-Of-The-Box-Summary archetypical level stuff, and the fourth feels like he's just Bakugo without some of the harsh edges that make Bakugo such a compelling character - and then the rival team introduced this weak made my eyes roll out of my skull. They feel more like a rival fighting gang from a cheap shounen - complete with weirdo twins who are huge assholes to people for no particular reason - than anybody I'm supposed to take seriously as part of a character drama. The show's pretty and all, but that doesn't really mean much when the narrative isn't giving it much of interest to actually lend all that nice art and cinematography to. Violet Evergarden could be weird and uneven, but its determination to swing for the emotional home run in every single episode at least gave it some sappy charisma even when it wasn't hitting its high notes. Tsurune is just kinda rote and dull.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

digibro is the most popular anime youtuber and unironically thinks that the path forward for the anime industry is for them to be supported entirely by patreons and the profits from previous anime series, with zero producers involved, and he pointed to trigger's patreon as an example of this

it costs approximately 2.5 million dollars for a single 13 episode season of anime (obviously costs vary wildly, but if you aren't licensing songs and aren't paying any huge VAs or shelling out for fancy CG or anything. imagine, like, a talky average light novel anime costing that much. like bunny girl this season, that probably cost about that much)

trigger's patreon makes approximately 10 thousand a month

therefore, it would take about 25 years for trigger's patreon to fund a single 13 episode anime, assuming that they didn't spend a single cent of it on anything else, ever.

This dude legitimately sees this as the future of anime and anything else as clinging to a dying and unjust system.

Also he thinks A-1 is satan because they made sword art online, and tons of other people are equally convinced that A-1 Pictures is bad, because they made a couple of anime they don't like.

This is the level of sheer misinformation and stupidity that your average western anime fan is sold as 'incisive commentary.'

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

digibro is the most popular anime youtuber and unironically thinks that the path forward for the anime industry is for them to be supported entirely by patreons and the profits from previous anime series, with zero producers involved, and he pointed to trigger's patreon as an example of this

it costs approximately 2.5 million dollars for a single 13 episode season of anime (obviously costs vary wildly, but if you aren't licensing songs and aren't paying any huge VAs or shelling out for fancy CG or anything. imagine, like, a talky average light novel anime costing that much. like bunny girl this season, that probably cost about that much)

therefore, it would take about 25 years for trigger's patreon to fund a single 13 episode anime, assuming that they didn't spend a single cent of it on anything else, ever.

This dude legitimately sees this as the future of anime and anything else as clinging to a dying and unjust system.

Also he thinks A-1 is satan because they made sword art online, and tons of other people are equally convinced that A-1 Pictures is bad, because they made a couple of anime they don't like.

This is the level of sheer misinformation and stupidity that your average western anime fan is sold as 'incisive commentary.'

Also, he's a paedophile.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, he's a paedophile.

Excuse you, he identifies as a 'proud lolicon' IIRC

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I watched one digibro episode about SAO years ago and while he was mostly right I could tell he was a twit.

I'm not sure everyone bashing A-1 is just because of digibro though. Yeah, not all their shows are bad, but the ones that are bad are because they started out great and then went really bad, always in the same trashed third act, dropped story threads, pulled punches pattern.

They reek of executive meddling. Their good shows just manage to avoid it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ranzear posted:

I'm not sure everyone bashing A-1 is just because of digibro though. Yeah, not all their shows are bad, but the ones that are bad are because they started out great and then went really bad, always in the same trashed third act, dropped story threads, pulled punches pattern.

They reek of executive meddling. Their good shows just manage to avoid it.
in the past decade a-1 pictures has made exactly 10 shows with original writing

anohana: well-regarded, didn't really pull its punches or drop any story threads

aldnoah.zero: yeah the things you described apply to it, but aldnoah's writing was messy to begin with. greetings, welcome to the first episode bus, where i explain the entire premise to a guy whod already know it

tsuritama: its a comedy

sora no wo to: didnt pull its punches or drop any story threads

fractale: yamakan

occult gakuen: i dont remember much about this show but i remember its ending being pretty good

qualidea code: did anyone even watch this show

zvesda: its a comedy

persona: trinity soul: this was written by the persona guys

vividred operation: oh poo poo never mind man i get it now

i dont think its really fair to base your entire conclusions on the the shows that come out of a studio on freaking aldnoah zero and then a bunch of crap nobody watched, especially since 90% of the studio's output is adaptation

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
of those shows i've seen anohana and it was good and zvezda was funny, i guess a-1 is actually really good

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Endorph posted:

I dunno about most popular though since I think he trails guys like gigguk, Mother's Basement, and The Anime Man, but I am starting to see the issue with how they grade somethings after reading the review for Slime episode 10. Out of all mentioned though, Digibro is pretty much the only one to give GS the absolute poo poo Thrashing it deserves from what I've seen. But yeah, there just seems to be so much...vacuum in them. Like they'll review anime, but only as it measures within the medium, but never outside of it, but have no issue using outside of medium comparisons when something problematic comes up.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

anohana: well-regarded, didn't really pull its punches or drop any story threads

aldnoah.zero: yeah the things you described apply to it, but aldnoah's writing was messy to begin with. greetings, welcome to the first episode bus, where i explain the entire premise to a guy whod already know it

occult gakuen: i dont remember much about this show but i remember its ending being pretty good

i dont think its really fair to base your entire conclusions on the the shows that come out of a studio on freaking aldnoah zero and then a bunch of crap nobody watched, especially since 90% of the studio's output is adaptation

Occult Academy rules and is one of my fav shows of all time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

They not only only review inside the medium, but they have zero understanding of the medium.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

sora no wo to pulled plenty of punches, it also has a total non-ending and zevzda was too loli for this gamer

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Could have just listed endless idol shows to the same effect.

I don't deny bias, but when A-1 is behind something I should like, they sure seem to gently caress it up royally. If you're gonna casually mention and then attempt to refute that others have the same experience, I do start to wonder if there's something behind it.

Nobody in a top-down organization like this has 100% creative control. You can't point to the writer being unassociated and claim the producer had no input. You can't tell me some stodgy conservative higher-up didn't say "no focus on gay pilots" at the first hint of one. You know as little as I do as to what goes on under the hood. I just point to a pattern with any robot show they're behind and a few other tech-oriented stories too.

Anyway, Aldnoah.Zero and Boku no Pico share a writer. Maybe it's just that.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The idol shows are good

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Watch Magic Kaito 1412.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

of those shows i've seen anohana and it was good and zvezda was funny, i guess a-1 is actually really good
Watch Tsuritama. While Endorph generally addressed the main hook of the series, it also contains a fantastic coming-of-age story almost on par with this year's Antarctica show.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Snooze Cruise posted:

Hello I haven't watched any anime this week but yesterday I did watch Black Klansman which was really good. Actually it was the first spike lee movie i ever saw.
i've only seen two, that one and do the right thing, which is as great as you've heard and still depressingly relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ranzear posted:

I just point to a pattern with any robot show they're behind and a few other tech-oriented stories too.
aldnoah;zero is literally the only mecha or tech-oriented show they've made that they actually wrote, so, yes, i guess their mecha shows are pretty bad, you've got me there