Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

If you can’t ping it. It’s not on the network.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

:hmmyes:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

:same:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Everyone knows theres no way to block a ping.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Sickening posted:

And to put things into perspective we are also personnel heavy as there is some needless siloing that has happened in the last 5 years. Lots of small departments with too few systems in their scope of resources responsibility. While we are losing some bodies and plenty of operations knowledge, we aren’t hampered in a big enough way to continue on.

Operations here is like most big Corps where things move at a glacial pace. We will be okay. I am restructuring teams right now so we don’t have dumb things like “web proxy administrator” as a title.

that makes life easier !

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is an interesting vendor email

RDP is like a sink.

I think you need to speak to facilities if you wish to discuss plumbing *puts call through*

Kashuno posted:

so you had people buying Victoria’s Secret lingerie on their corporate card for months,
haha, of all the things - well ok mr fancy pants!

jaegerx posted:

let's go blow his mind!

angry armadillo fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 4, 2018

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Has anybody else noticed the decline in build quality from Dell? We've had to call service on two Optiplex 7050s this week that were purchased less than 6 months ago. I swear I feel like I'm speaking to a rogue AI every time I do an online chat session.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Vargatron posted:

Has anybody else noticed the decline in build quality from Dell? We've had to call service on two Optiplex 7050s this week that were purchased less than 6 months ago. I swear I feel like I'm speaking to a rogue AI every time I do an online chat session.
All major vendors have been such poo poo for the past few years—since the double-whammy of the IBM-Lenovo selloff and the HP/HPE split—that I've been buying off-lease

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm glad it's not just me. This may be rose colored goggles but I don't recall having nearly as many issues 6-7 years ago with Dell.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've had good luck with HP desktops and laptops in the past few years. I mean I still got machines from 6-8 years ago still going strong and work pretty well after an SSD upgrade.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Just taking with people who've had their computers refreshed at work lately, it feels like the Lenovos were getting have something like a 40% failure rate. The rate for the new docks is far higher with some people going though 3 and 4 examples before they get one that works.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All computers are bad

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Vargatron posted:

I'm glad it's not just me. This may be rose colored goggles but I don't recall having nearly as many issues 6-7 years ago with Dell.

I wouldn't be surprised if they kept the price down over the last decade by using the floor-sweepings-est components they can scrounge.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Computers were a mistake

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

We haven't had huge trouble with lenovos or dell laptops, the new USB3.0 docks are a different story, it took a few months before dell finally released a not hosed firmware; if you had 2 or more monitors attached it would stop displaying for 1-5 seconds every 20-50 minutes, was especially bad because the owner of our company was one of the first people to get a device...

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Haha my coworker is causing a poo poo storm over wifi. Every time someone has a wifi issue that gets escalated past ops we end up on the call or email thread. My coworker says the same thing every time: wifi is a half duplex shared medium that will never have the same performance as hard wired connections and to treat it as such.

Of course this response gets escalated to the guy under the C-levels and now the perception is that wireless is crap and engineering cant figure out how to make it not crap. So now it has suddenly become a problem

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

He's... sort of not wrong.. depending on what devices you are utilizing.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Hes not wrong but there are other organizations who have moved to a wireless heavy infrastructure and we are being compared to them, so to say we cant be wireless isnt acceptable to the higher ups. The problem is that those organizations have a wireless network designed to do so whereas this company implemented 3,000 access points using the wrong settings in the heat map utility and require a lot of wireless remapping to be ready for primary wireless connectivity

Edit: our wireless heat maps were configured for 1 ap per 5,000 sq feet and 20% of the plant has APs broadcasting at full power. Just a small but significant example of why we can't go wireless yet

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

ChubbyThePhat posted:

My company has pretty much the worst processes around managing AD ever. A big pain in my rear end right now is objects not getting cleaned out of AD when they are replaced. This causes them to add themselves back into SCCM and me to get a million failed to install errors on patches. Now I can write a PowerShell script that'll deal with old AD objects (disable and maybe add a description with the date), but can I expand on this to also remove the objects from SCCM or do I need to do that manually?

If this is computer devices and you're on Current Branch/Semi Annual Channel/Whatever it's called this week, change the AD System discovery to ignore machines that have not logged in or changed their password in 30 days or something else reasonable. This will keep the discovery data out and your computer lists cleaner.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Sepist posted:

Hes not wrong but there are other organizations who have moved to a wireless heavy infrastructure and we are being compared to them, so to say we cant be wireless isnt acceptable to the higher ups. The problem is that those organizations have a wireless network designed to do so whereas this company implemented 3,000 access points using the wrong settings in the heat map utility and require a lot of wireless remapping to be ready for primary wireless connectivity

Edit: our wireless heat maps were configured for 1 ap per 5,000 sq feet and 20% of the plant has APs broadcasting at full power. Just a small but significant example of why we can't go wireless yet

Yeah I figured it was a deeper story (based on your history) than what your co-worker was saying.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

All computers are bad

George H.W. oval office posted:

Computers were a mistake

:hai:

This is the correct answer for anyone who has ever worked in the computer janitor part of IT

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Sepist posted:

Haha my coworker is causing a poo poo storm over wifi. Every time someone has a wifi issue that gets escalated past ops we end up on the call or email thread. My coworker says the same thing every time: wifi is a half duplex shared medium that will never have the same performance as hard wired connections and to treat it as such.

Of course this response gets escalated to the guy under the C-levels and now the perception is that wireless is crap and engineering cant figure out how to make it not crap. So now it has suddenly become a problem

I'd be very interested in hearing how this plays out.

Not to hijack your post, but here's my scenario:
Recently hired on as a senior network engineer. Also the company's first network engineer. They have me slotted under our sysadmin, so there's a degree of separation between me and senior management. My new company is a tenant in a shared building and is moving floors. My recommendation was to run two drops to every cubicle so we'll be covered if we go VoIP, but instead going cell only in an area with spotty coverage, and...no drops in favor of wireless only (with the exception of printers). I was not present in this meeting where this decision was made, or any because of the management structure. Can't do a site survey because we don't have a floor yet. Equipment was bought regardless, but components were chosen with flexibility in mind. Already started managing expectations, and I'm working towards having acceptance testing conducted before we move floors. Even if everyone signs off, I'm worried I'll end up effectively Tier 0 Helpdesk--every ticket asks to check wireless because a server is sluggish.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What a dumb loving thing to cheap out on. "don't run drops we'll just use cell phones and wireless" would have me quiting in the spot.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Also I swear to god if Microsoft uninstalls RSAT during an update one more God drat time...

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

Contingency posted:

I'd be very interested in hearing how this plays out.

Not to hijack your post, but here's my scenario:
Recently hired on as a senior network engineer. Also the company's first network engineer. They have me slotted under our sysadmin, so there's a degree of separation between me and senior management. My new company is a tenant in a shared building and is moving floors. My recommendation was to run two drops to every cubicle so we'll be covered if we go VoIP, but instead going cell only in an area with spotty coverage, and...no drops in favor of wireless only (with the exception of printers). I was not present in this meeting where this decision was made, or any because of the management structure. Can't do a site survey because we don't have a floor yet. Equipment was bought regardless, but components were chosen with flexibility in mind. Already started managing expectations, and I'm working towards having acceptance testing conducted before we move floors. Even if everyone signs off, I'm worried I'll end up effectively Tier 0 Helpdesk--every ticket asks to check wireless because a server is sluggish.

Uh oh. Cisco or another vendor?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This is the correct answer for anyone who has ever worked in the computer janitor part of IT

Or infosec :negative:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Honestly, I've been in real chill conditions that have had two problems 1) Printers and 2) Old people that won't stop using outdated crap that isn't even supported anymore greetz to Eudora and AIM.

So I'm more likely to blame people for being a mistake.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Also I swear to god if Microsoft uninstalls RSAT during an update one more God drat time...

This was fixed in 1803

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yeah, it’s now a “feature on demand” in 1809, no more need to download and install a separate MSU.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The goal is to have a job where choosing the right hardware on any level isn’t your decision. Designating a thing should be a server? Fine. Deciding what hardware that server should be? Let that be someone else’s problem.

If the thing works well, no glory. If it doesn’t, you hosed up. No win situation.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I've enjoyed shadowstorage disappearing on random servers for the past few months after patching, it has been special.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 4, 2018

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Yeah, it’s now a “feature on demand” in 1809, no more need to download and install a separate MSU.

You say that, but..

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Internet Explorer posted:

What a dumb loving thing to cheap out on. "don't run drops we'll just use cell phones and wireless" would have me quiting in the spot.

So. loving. Triggered.

"They'll all use laptops so don't worry about dropping power to the cubes either." :v:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Why would you need power? I thought they were wireless!

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
With that kind of thinking you're destined for the C-suite.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
You joke but Disney R&D is heavily invested in long range wireless electric delivery https://www.iflscience.com/technology/disney-researchers-make-wireless-power-transfer-breakthrough/

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Sepist posted:

You joke but Disney R&D is heavily invested in long range wireless electric delivery https://www.iflscience.com/technology/disney-researchers-make-wireless-power-transfer-breakthrough/

"A team at Disney Research, though, showed how they were able to transmit power in an entire room, powering a variety of devices while remaining relatively safe for humans. They published their findings in the journal PLOS ONE."

"relatively safe" very loose terminology; I bet it means "As long as you don't stand between the source and the device it powers you won't get burned"

Also, for cloud guys around here that run kubernetes just ran into this article: https://www.zdnet.com/article/kubernetes-first-major-security-hole-discovered/ tl;dr security flaw on older versions of kubernetes that's pretty loving bad.

Not sure how often people update it etc since I don't work with anything cloud outside of Azure.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Fool posted:

Why would you need power? I thought they were wireless!

No bullshit, back in 2004 when I did DSL tech support I had a guy call in super pissed off that his wireless modem needed to be plugged into both electricity and a phone line for the dsl signal. "You bastards said this was wireless!"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sepist posted:

I am not going to read that but I assume whatever that is will give you cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

MF_James posted:

"relatively safe" very loose terminology; I bet it means "As long as you don't stand between the source and the device it powers you won't get burned"

Also, for cloud guys around here that run kubernetes just ran into this article: https://www.zdnet.com/article/kubernetes-first-major-security-hole-discovered/ tl;dr security flaw on older versions of kubernetes that's pretty loving bad.

Not sure how often people update it etc since I don't work with anything cloud outside of Azure.

Assuming you don't have the management API's exposed to the public Internet it's not disastrous. Like, it is bad and you should patch it. But it doesn't mean some dude in Ukraine is owning your cluster right now.