Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

infernal machines posted:

like, i fully expect ms to do the dumbest most wasteful thing in any circumstance, but maybe ditching edge for chromium isn't the most coherent choice

Why? There's absolutely no reason to keep their own rendering engine. It just means more hassle for web developers, there's no value to EdgeHTML/Presto reloaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

like, i fully expect ms to do the dumbest most wasteful thing in any circumstance, but maybe ditching edge for chromium isn't the most coherent choice

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Lambert posted:

Why? There's absolutely no reason to keep their own rendering engine. It just means more hassle for web developers, there's no value to EdgeHTML/Presto reloaded.

it would be much more microsoft to keep pouring resources into their godforsaken browser that nobody wants to use

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
None of the users of edge disliked it because of the rendering engine, just as none of the users of opera liked the browser because of its rendering engine

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Lambert posted:

its a better rendering engine than chome/slowkit in terms of both accuracy and performance.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

jit bull transpile posted:

majoras mask is the best one. some of the stories in that one still make me tear up.

you could bet on yorkshire terriers racing around a track

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Lambert posted:

seeing how it is the most commonly used application programming interface in present day (as sad as this is) in effect yielding control of it to one of their main competitors seems dubious at best

sure the control is not that firm since it is an oss thing, but once everything is chromium i think microsoft will find that google is in a much more powerful position to define how things work than they can hope to be

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

chrome and search are like the only two things that google is competent at

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
chome and all its offshoots are so bad.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

seeing how it is the most commonly used application programming interface in present day (as sad as this is) in effect yielding control of it to one of their main competitors seems dubious at best

sure the control is not that firm since it is an oss thing, but once everything is chromium i think microsoft will find that google is in a much more powerful position to define how things work than they can hope to be

google already does whatever the gently caress it wants, though?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Can't wait for chedge to automatically sign in people to google services

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Fiedler posted:

google already does whatever the gently caress it wants, though?

not with the windows apis, which includes as a huge piece the edge engine

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shaggar posted:

chome is becoming the new ie6 in that in not unusual for some pages to only work in it (and maybe safari)

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

shaggar was right. firefox is best

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Wheany posted:

Can't wait for chedge to automatically sign in people to google services

chedge, chome, chatbots: 2019 has begun

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Microsoft isn't even using their rendering engine for their own applications. Visual Studio Code is Chromium based. And others aren't using some hypothetical EdgeHTML application framework, either.

Also, when no one can define where exactly this power lies, maybe the rendering engine isn't that important.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 4, 2018

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shaggar posted:

its a better rendering engine than chome/slowkit in terms of both accuracy and performance.

if edge goes to chromium, what will you use to post???

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

we will always have Internet Explorer :)

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

My Linux Rig posted:

if edge goes to chromium, what will you use to post???
maxthon

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

we will always have Internet Explorer :)

it's funny to think that ie6 was so very, very bad and broke everything on the internet to such a degree that it permanently burned "microsoft browser = bad" into the brains of almost the entire world for all time

it's successors were not quite as bad, but they still sucked and weren't really used for anything beyond downloading a better browser

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
unless you worked in government or other large public institutions, in which case they were used for everything

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/satyanadella/status/1069694712464973829?s=19

Yes, I want my identity handled by Microsoft, known for making fool proof products

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

unless you worked in government or other large public institutions, in which case they were are used for everything

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sorry, we're experiencing a temporary outage of azure identity services, please try to vote again later

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

maybe real mfn webkit but goddamn chome?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

orange sky posted:

https://twitter.com/satyanadella/status/1069694712464973829?s=19

Yes, I want my identity handled by Microsoft, known for making fool proof products

*werner herzogishly* "But they would not."

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

dont be mean to me posted:

maybe real mfn webkit but goddamn chome?

Nah. Why would you use an out-of-date engine maintained by Apple and primarily used in Safari, 2018's Internet Explorer, when you can use a more modern engine instead? Microsoft today isn't about repeating past mistakes. They've had browsers with old engines before.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ms still corncobbing as an ad strategy in tyool 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i assume "universally recognized digital identity" will just amount to a new single sign on service which is also sponsored by mastercard

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I mean yeah it'll help the little girl with troubleshooting why no Bluetooth device works correctly or why suddenly the graphics card drivers are crashing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i assume "universally recognized digital identity" will just amount to a new single sign on service which is also sponsored by mastercard

microsoft has a really solid history of totally functional sso products

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

microsoft has a really solid history of totally functional products

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

remember when apple stopped bothering to run the mac vs pc campaign altogether after microsoft took up the own themselves by running cringey "yeah, i'm a PC!!!!" ads

they are still doing this. they are still this dumb. it has been ten years and they are still this dumb

mystes
May 31, 2006

Didn't microsoft just try to introduce some sort of web authentication system that was basically like client certificates with a new UI a few years ago? I can't remember what it was called and I'm completely failing at googling it though.

Edit: Found it. It was "cardspace" and "a few years ago" was apparently like 2010-2011.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 4, 2018

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

unless you worked in government or other large public institutions, in which case they were used for everything

ya know it hardly occurs to me i use ie on windows 10 every day

:negative:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

microsoft has a really solid history of totally functional sso products

yeah azure ad and adfs are great.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
microsoft works

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
IMO switching away from edgeHTML to Blink is, as with every decision involving Microsoft these days, Azure.

- base your browser around a common web engine that happens to be used in a shitload of devices (Android, ChromeOS, etc.)
- now you can tell developers "build PWAs, they will work the same across all these devices!" and make them first-class citizens in Windows
- conveniently provide tooling to make better PWAs, that just so happen to integrate with easily deploying Azure app services
- watch as Azure continues to grow and Windows continues to shrink in relevance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Shaggar posted:

yeah azure ad and adfs are great.

the real innovation is Microsoft graph which is an amazing experience when you can get it to work, despite its terrible documentation