Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Baronjutter posted:

Went and checked out the official forums

Found your problem.

I have never, ever, encountered an official social media platform (I'm including forums in that as well as facebook, etc) that wasn't filled with mouthbreathing jackholes.

Even Reddit is usually better than the official forums. .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Baronjutter posted:

Guy keeps complaining about how it's so lovely that we the player need to fix these things by hand and paradox should fix them and not just tell us to "find a mod"
Darkrenown again very clearly and politely explains that he did actually fix the problem, it's fixed, it was an easy fix and it's actually fixed now.
Guy keeps passive aggressively commenting that he hopes every other player finds the bug as easy to fix as it was for Darkrenown, as if all this time Darkrenown had only fixed the bug for his personal copy of the game??

I can imagine how years of dealing with interactions like this can make any dev a bit snappy and quick to assume anyone complaining about something is an idiot :(

I don't follow these things too closely, but this sounds like every game forum about every game. (Present company excluded, of course.)

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

prefect posted:

(Present company excluded, of course.)

Stellaris 2.2: Mouth breathing robot jackholes

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also despite the fact that countless youtubes are showing the game working pretty ok and the AI is building stuff, because of that one reddit post where a guy says he found certain situations where the AI was again not building ships and buildings they had resources for, now tons of people are in full "game will be unplayable with the AI NEVER building ships!?!?!" sky is falling mode. Hey guys did you hear the AI is so bad it will never ever build ships or buildings? How could paradox release this?! Yo, only read the last page of this thread but apparently you can't build space ships in the game about building spaceships paradox thinks this is ok?!

I get why these youtubers had to sign NDA's and review embargoes.

*tiny brain* waiting for the game to come out like a normal adult
*normal brain* watching preview youtubes and getting some minor concerns about things you've seen but taking it all with a grain of salt and optimism that the minor ones will be patched before the 6th.
*glowing brain* writing multi-paragraph detailed analysis proving that certain choices are now "OP" or "traps" based on 5 seconds of gameplay you saw out of context and dying on that hill even when the devs explain.
*galaxy brain* not actually watching any youtubes or reading any dev diaries but getting mad as hell about the game based on 4th hand information you misinterpreted from someone else's already wrong post.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Baronjutter posted:

*tiny brain* waiting for the game to come out like a normal adult
*normal brain* watching preview youtubes and getting some minor concerns about things you've seen but taking it all with a grain of salt and optimism that the minor ones will be patched before the 6th.
*glowing brain* writing multi-paragraph detailed analysis proving that certain choices are now "OP" or "traps" based on 5 seconds of gameplay you saw out of context and dying on that hill even when the devs explain.
*galaxy brain* not actually watching any youtubes or reading any dev diaries but getting mad as hell about the game based on 4th hand information you misinterpreted from someone else's already wrong post.

This is gamers.txt

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
The internet was a mistake...

If you ever find yourself going to the official Paradox forums it helps to only look at threads where an employee has responded and even then make sure you're filtering for dev posts.

I'm going to assume if someone took time out of their day to read and then reply to something it wasn't just inane drivel.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Psychotic Weasel posted:

The internet was a mistake...

If you ever find yourself going to the official Paradox forums it helps to only look at threads where an employee has responded and even then make sure you're filtering for dev posts.

I'm going to assume if someone took time out of their day to read and then reply to something it wasn't just inane drivel.

Yeah that's pretty much all I do, the filter by dev post is the greatest feature on any official forum I've ever seen.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
The other reason to read the official forums was to appreciate Wiz telling climate change deniers to shut up.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

People are weirdly passive aggressive and a bit thick there though. Was reading one thread about robots, guy had a lot of legitimate concerns about robot production and robot worker assignment because someone's minebot got assigned to a farm instead of a mine. cue tons of people crying the sky is falling and the worker assignment AI is the new sector AI that will ruin all our planets. Darkrenown explains that worker job weights are incredibly easy to change/mod your self if you don't like how the AI handles them, and on looking at those weights he realized there was actually a slight bug that was giving robots too much farming weight.

I watched this happen to a streamer last night. His mine bots kept getting assigned to the farm, so he decided to make some farm bots instead. However in the process he got a "hey, there are some criminals here, what do you want to do?" event to which he chose "yay crime" in response because he was a criminal corporation and figured it would be good idea. That created a new Criminal job, which got immediately assigned one of his robot miners as well.

So while he was laughing about his new robot crimelord he got a follow-up notification that crime was growing, so now he has 3 robot miners working away at a criminal drug lab.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Short Circuit 3: Johnny 5 goes to New Jack City

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nemo2342 posted:

I watched this happen to a streamer last night. His mine bots kept getting assigned to the farm, so he decided to make some farm bots instead. However in the process he got a "hey, there are some criminals here, what do you want to do?" event to which he chose "yay crime" in response because he was a criminal corporation and figured it would be good idea. That created a new Criminal job, which got immediately assigned one of his robot miners as well.

So while he was laughing about his new robot crimelord he got a follow-up notification that crime was growing, so now he has 3 robot miners working away at a criminal drug lab.

Drug mine my friend, drug mine.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Nemo2342 posted:

GOTY every year.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Jesus Christ, Martin. They’re not rocks, they’re space drugs.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I can't wait for the next narcos series.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

ConfusedUs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UrDvruoubA

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Is there a way to get achievements with mods like Guilli's planet modifiers? There is a part of me that's a sucker for achievements, but I also like mods more than chievos...

Also, when I asked about major changes in Apoc etc, no one told me about FTL inhibitors, especially ones from planetary fortresses. That's some evil poo poo, and it definitely realigns how I would want to build my defenses.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

One of the first batches of mods for Skylines was a mod that let you get cheevos with mods. But I feel like the paradox community is way more serious about that poo poo being iron-man only.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

pokie posted:

Is there a way to get achievements with mods like Guilli's planet modifiers? There is a part of me that's a sucker for achievements, but I also like mods more than chievos...

Also, when I asked about major changes in Apoc etc, no one told me about FTL inhibitors, especially ones from planetary fortresses. That's some evil poo poo, and it definitely realigns how I would want to build my defenses.

Go to Stellaris/common/achievements.txt and find-replace is_ironman = yes to is_ironman = no. Or do it properly and make a mod containing that modified file, google how to do that because I don't remember the details.

e: Also why is the release at 18 CET, dammit PDS you can release it during the stream not after it. Isn't that how they did it with Distant Stars at least? Is it just because they want the devs to be ready to respond to bugs instead of being busy with the dev clash?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Splicer posted:

- LeGuin Park, 2018

This was seriouspost BTW. Being under your cap is arguably bad, because you're not fully utilising your resources. Being at and being above your cap should be the same colour because how high you want to focus situational. Green being equal to or above your cap doesn't work though because going red -> green implies that continuing in that direction means even more green. Red and yellow doesn't work because we're pretty solidly conditioned for red -> yellow -> implied green if you can get to it. So red below cap, then blue (or white) at or above cap.

Yellow below with blue (or white) equal to or above would also work.

I mean, if you view the game entirely as an optimization problem, sure.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Staltran posted:

Go to Stellaris/common/achievements.txt and find-replace is_ironman = yes to is_ironman = no. Or do it properly and make a mod containing that modified file, google how to do that because I don't remember the details.

e: Also why is the release at 18 CET, dammit PDS you can release it during the stream not after it. Isn't that how they did it with Distant Stars at least? Is it just because they want the devs to be ready to respond to bugs instead of being busy with the dev clash?

I think you need to pay steam extra bux to release a game at a specific time, otherwise their default is someone at steam flips the switch first thing in the morning, which is 9am PST for them.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

John Lee posted:

Well, the entire point of the empire size/admin cap is to give you information to assist in optimization. If you don't care about optimization you can freely ignore the number altogether.

Edit: Of course I'm pretty sure the best idea is to just take everything you possibly can. Just maybe at a measured pace.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 4, 2018

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Staltran posted:

I did this, but the game still says I am ineligible for achievements with ironman off and complains about checksum due to mods. I started a new game w/o ironman and cheated myself some stuff to build a robot, and nope, no achievement.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
What are the proper names for colonies after "Prime?" I know Secundus, but what after that?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Preston Waters posted:

What are the proper names for colonies after "Prime?" I know Secundus, but what after that?

In my experience it's "Prime" all the way down.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Tertius, Quartus, Quintus....I've seen more, but I can't recall them off-hand. I think it gives up after about 6 to 8.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Preston Waters posted:

Choice, Select

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
just lol when you terraform Mars and go to colonize it and it recommends "Sol Prime" as the name

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Preston Waters posted:

just lol when you terraform Mars and go to colonize it and it recommends "Sol Prime" as the name

loving Martians are getting uppity and have renamed Mars "Sol Prime", so we have renamed Earth to be "REAL Sol Prime".

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

John Lee posted:

This is a real non sequitor dude.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Fine, they can be Team A. We'll be Team 1.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

John Lee posted:

If you're not playing optimally, you're not clowning your friends in MP, and then what's the point?

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

Bloodly posted:

The problem is the 'service guarantees citizenship' i.e that people who don't serve, have no say and are effectively slaves.

They're still free to do with their lives as they wish. They just haven't earned the privilege of the vote.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Technical Analysis posted:

They're still free to do with their lives as they wish. They just haven't earned the privilege of the vote.

We regret that inform you that people who can vote have reduced the others that serfdom

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

pokie posted:

I did this, but the game still says I am ineligible for achievements with ironman off and complains about checksum due to mods. I started a new game w/o ironman and cheated myself some stuff to build a robot, and nope, no achievement.

Huh. Well, Steam achievement manager is always an option.

John Lee posted:

Yeah I can't figure out what you mean by this either.

Serf
May 5, 2011

looks like the citizens just passed the "jobs are only for citizens now" act

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Preston Waters posted:

Why isn't it "Primus"?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

prefect posted:

Why isn't it "Primus"?

Because that's a 90s alternative band

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

prefect posted:

Why isn't it "Primus"?

Because Les Claypool doesn't live there!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

An improbable belief in decorum as a legitimate mechanism for curbing government abuse... are you literally the man in your av?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

ConfusedUs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BORkjEKVVSc