Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Goth Murano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tekne posted:

I'm impressed by how aggressively ugly the Silverado HD is. It's like the design team sat down and decided to make it as offensive as possible.

This thing is going to sell so loving well here in Texas. Can't wait for the Texas edition that comes with factory installed "Don't tread on me", "Don't California my Texas" and "Salt Life" stickers.

Can't wait to see how RAM counters this one. I'm thinking factory 2000 LED lightbar that projects the RAM logo as you drive.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

skipdogg posted:

This thing is going to sell so loving well here in Texas. Can't wait for the Texas edition that comes with factory installed "Don't tread on me", "Don't California my Texas" and "Salt Life" stickers.

Can't wait to see how RAM counters this one. I'm thinking factory 2000 LED lightbar that projects the RAM logo as you drive.

Factory installed Truck Nutz, factory installed double vertical smokestacks, optional LED lighting package that has the lumen output of a small star, decal package that includes your choices of Thin Blue Line, Punisher skull, Monster logo, stars, 3%ers, Gadsden flag, MAGA, Confederate flag / Heritage not Hate, and NRA stickers. Factory installed gun safe with complimentary AR-15.

Texas package includes catalytic converter delete with factory installed coal rolling ECU programming, as well as ALL OF THE CHROME.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

be honest when was the last time you saw one of those in the wild

I live in Houston, so walking through the parking lot to get into my office.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Rock My Socks! posted:

I live in Houston, so walking through the parking lot to get into my office.

San Antonio seems to have moved to the Grunt Style shirts instead of the Affliction stuff, but you still see it around.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Wedge shapes are too unsafe for pedestrians!!!

18 wheelers: now there's some safety!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tekne posted:

I'm impressed by how aggressively ugly the Silverado HD is. It's like the design team sat down and decided to make it as offensive as possible.

Powershift posted:

Let's see who's vision becomes reality first.

Where are my god drat royalties? :colbert:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

18-wheelers are now better styled than mainstream pickup trucks.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
“Now”. That was always the case. Well aside from the Kodiak I posted.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Frond posted:

“Now”. That was always the case.

Word.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I sincerely hope the designer was well paid for this because I honestly don't know how I'd live with myself if I had my name attached to this.

They probably did the best they could, what the hell can you even do with so much frontal area.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

incels interlinked posted:

Also I saw an Urus offroading the other day

200K for a fat Evoque, amazing

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Huge_Midget posted:

Factory installed Truck Nutz, factory installed double vertical smokestacks, optional LED lighting package that has the lumen output of a small star, decal package that includes your choices of Thin Blue Line, Punisher skull, Monster logo, stars, 3%ers, Gadsden flag, MAGA, Confederate flag / Heritage not Hate, and NRA stickers. Factory installed gun safe with complimentary AR-15.

Texas package includes catalytic converter delete with factory installed coal rolling ECU programming, as well as ALL OF THE CHROME.

You forgot Rockstar wheels

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe they put a full size spare tire under the hood now like eastern bloc cars

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
It also gets a big new turbo four cylinder (2.7L). So I’ll bet the additional hood height is due to the additional height of a big vertical inline engine with DOHC versus the older V6/V8’s with pushrods.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

i own every Bionicle posted:

It also gets a big new turbo four cylinder (2.7L). So I’ll bet the additional hood height is due to the additional height of a big vertical inline engine with DOHC versus the older V6/V8’s with pushrods.

This is the silverado HD which only gets a "completely new" gas V8 and duramax, both of which are rather compact engines.

If you've ever seen the engine bay of a current 2500HD with the 6.0, you'd laugh. it's this little bitty engine in the middle of a huge engine bay.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

incels interlinked posted:

Also I saw an Urus offroading the other day

This makes me want a lifted panamera shooting brake

Wait, that’s what this is, isn’t it?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Ultimate Mango posted:

This makes me want a lifted panamera shooting brake

No because it's got four doors.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ultimate Mango posted:

Lamborghini Cayenne/Q7

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Goober Peas posted:

In my limited experience dealing with the big 3 from a business perspective, Ford is definitely the most bureaucratic, difficult to deal with right now. And have been for several years.

In my experience Ford's always been pretty reasonable and pragmatic. GM used to literally be hitlers about everything until the bailout when they got pretty hands off because they didn't have the resources to micromanage. Chrysler was ok, Daimler Chrysler was ok, FCA filled me with rage and every interaction with them has been awful. At my previous job I ended up no quoting them as a rule and I definitely wasn't the only company doing it. Just unprofessional and incompetent about everything.

Toyota is cool and good. Honda is ok, Tesla is ok but you can tell they're getting better as they learn. BMW is also 😎

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I hope Ford goes under

Both Ford and GM (Holden) are pretty much dead in Australia since they have both withdrawn from local manufacturing. It'll take some effort to bring them back from the bottom of the sales charts. I don't think either parent company gives a crap about doing that, as the sales are tiny here compared to most countries.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

You Am I posted:

Both Ford and GM (Holden) are pretty much dead in Australia since they have both withdrawn from local manufacturing. It'll take some effort to bring them back from the bottom of the sales charts. I don't think either parent company gives a crap about doing that, as the sales are tiny here compared to most countries.

They still sell a lot of Rangers in Australia.

No where near as popular as they are in New Zealand though - it's been by far the best selling new vehicle for years now.

Holden looks stuffed in Australia though, not even the Colorado is selling in any real numbers.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tekne posted:

Idk why but I kind of like it

It's the "alien construction equipment" vibe

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 5, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Everybody spend so much time concerned with how bad the grille is, they didn't even notice the hosed up mirrors.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Those mirrors are the best part

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
It's another vehicles I can point to, go "What kind of car is that?"
My wife will look, squint and go "Uuhh, I think it's a Honda?" and we can both laugh like idiots.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pickups getting bigger, uglier and even more stupid.

'Murika in a nutshell.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

KozmoNaut posted:

Pickups getting bigger, uglier and even more stupid.

'Murika in a nutshell.

And at this point even the pickups that are supposed to be tiny are huge. :rip:

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Powershift posted:

Everybody spend so much time concerned with how bad the grille is, they didn't even notice the hosed up mirrors.

Dollars to doughnuts that those slide out for towing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

And everyone who buys one is gonna leave them out all the time. GM may as well not even bother pretending they retract.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

KillHour posted:

And everyone who buys one is gonna leave them out all the time. GM may as well not even bother pretending they retract.

GM is not the only one that has retracting mirrors. And yes people leave them out all the time.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Vehicular manspreading

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
New Wrangler gets 1 star in Euro NCAP crash testing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Jeep posted:

“Further, the Jeep Wrangler is engineered to deliver superior performance and unique driving experiences under the most demanding conditions. Testing protocols that apply exclusively to urban scenarios may not align with such a vehicle.

Are they under the impression that most Wranglers will leave a paved road?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

That's 1 star better than the Fiat Panda got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F9gy65Le4k

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Goober Peas posted:

That's 1 star better than the Fiat Panda got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F9gy65Le4k

Dang but they're saying it did poorly partly because it doesn't have 'now standard driver assistance systems' which are now a new thing in testing it seems. So the car's not really NCAP safe but they've also raised the testing standards and added a bunch of new requirements. This has me wondering what other new cheap cars will score.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Tekne posted:

Pretty sure they're trying to evoke a combination of these two:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Are they under the impression that most Wranglers will leave a paved road?

"Jeep was quick to address the Wrangler’s low test result"

I assume they knew about the bad results before it went public and had time to get their response ready.
But curious how much manufacturers run/simulate crash tests internally during development? Could it be as involved as shipping mules to IIHS or NCAP?

Or on the other end of the spectrum, do they use whatever engineering principles for mitigating crash energy/damage and hope for the best once tests roll around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

"Jeep was quick to address the Wrangler’s low test result"

I assume they knew about the bad results before it went public and had time to get their response ready.
But curious how much manufacturers run/simulate crash tests internally during development? Could it be as involved as shipping mules to IIHS or NCAP?

Or on the other end of the spectrum, do they use whatever engineering principles for mitigating crash energy/damage and hope for the best once tests roll around?

I mean I would assume they crash the poo poo out of a bunch of test Jeeps, but I also assume those test Jeeps are welded together properly, which the JL seems to have some problems with.

quote:

In the official Euro NCAP assessment structural issues were identified: "The connection between the A-pillar and the trans-facia beam was damaged in a way that indicated the structure would be unable to withstand higher loads. Similarly, deformation of the footwell showed that the structure had reached the limit of its integrity." according to the technical data from the report.

The fold-down windshield probably isn't doing them any favours for A-pillar bracing.

NCAP also has a bunch of other stuff in its tests that you don't think of when you think of a "crash test," such as pedestrian safety, which I assume the Jeep is not great at.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 5, 2018