Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lightning Knight posted:

A lot of the leftist punk crowd have surprisingly strong acoustic chops.

So it's funny because I turn 24 in March. The 90s are a quarter century ago my dude.

That is still quite young tho yknow. Without being a patronizing dickhead, I personally was an absolute dumbass at age 24, and only marginally less so a decade later. The fact that one so young can rise to the lofty stature and purpose of dead forum mod fills me with malaise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

I was born in '95.

That's the year I graduated high school.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the children are our future, because while we weren't paying attention we became old people
I am the old man at the punk show aren't I?

Oh god...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Oh god...

I was a good decade older than the median at the prog-metal show I went to on Sunday, and I left during the headliner (Tesseract) because they are some babymetal shite

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The wall fell when I was in grade school and the other day I caught myself yelling at a cloud.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Avril Lavigne's "Sk8er Boy" was about a man giving up his pursuit of the greedy lifestyle of the bourgeois and finding his true calling and passion working with the proletariat.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Doctor Butts posted:

lol look at this old fart.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

ZypherIM posted:

I'm always impressed by how.. unattractive all that racial purity makes these people. Also his argument is sort of like "I like the KKK for the kickass Halloween costumes".

Overcompensation for having the physical appearance of what it feels like to touch raw chicken.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Failed Imagineer posted:

That is still quite young tho yknow. Without being a patronizing dickhead, I personally was an absolute dumbass at age 24, and only marginally less so a decade later. The fact that one so young can rise to the lofty stature and purpose of dead forum mod fills me with malaise.

I mean it's true and I am a huge dumbass but what can ya do?

Doctor Butts posted:

Which means you were born in what, '77?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Feldegast42 posted:

Holy poo poo this twinged at my heart :(

Never forget that smell of singed Japanese electronics.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

They were probably too young to do it on the N64, but they may have been doing it on the GBA? I forget when the DS came out and cartridges finally died. But I certainly remember blowing on GBA carts, for all the 'good' that did.

Some of us had hand-me-downs, if that makes you feel better.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

quote:

He made a dishonest case for war. Thirteen years before George W. Bush lied about weapons of mass destruction to justify his invasion and occupation of Iraq, his father made his own set of false claims to justify the aerial bombardment of that same country. The first Gulf War, as an investigation by journalist Joshua Holland concluded, “was sold on a mountain of war propaganda.”

For a start, Bush told the American public that Iraq had invaded Kuwait “without provocation or warning.” What he omitted to mention was that the U.S. ambassador to Iraq, April Glaspie, had given an effective green light to Saddam Hussein, telling him in July 1990, a week before his invasion, “[W]e have no opinion on the Arab-Arab conflicts, like your border disagreement with Kuwait.”

Then there is the fabrication of intelligence. Bush deployed U.S. troops to the Gulf in August 1990 and claimed that he was doing so in order “to assist the Saudi Arabian Government in the defense of its homeland.” As Scott Peterson wrote in the Christian Science Monitor in 2002, “Citing top-secret satellite images, Pentagon officials estimated … that up to 250,000 Iraqi troops and 1,500 tanks stood on the border, threatening the key U.S. oil supplier.”

Yet when reporter Jean Heller of the St. Petersburg Times acquired her own commercial satellite images of the Saudi border, she found no signs of Iraqi forces; only an empty desert. “It was a pretty serious fib,” Heller told Peterson, adding: “That [Iraqi buildup] was the whole justification for Bush sending troops in there, and it just didn’t exist.”

He committed war crimes. Under Bush Sr., the U.S. dropped a whopping 88,500 tons of bombs on Iraq and Iraqi-occupied Kuwait, many of which resulted in horrific civilian casualties. In February 1991, for example, a U.S. airstrike on an air-raid shelter in the Amiriyah neighborhood of Baghdad killed at least 408 Iraqi civilians. According to Human Rights Watch, the Pentagon knew the Amiriyah facility had been used as a civil defense shelter during the Iran-Iraq war and yet had attacked without warning. It was, concluded HRW, “a serious violation of the laws of war.”

U.S. bombs also destroyed essential Iraqi civilian infrastructure — from electricity-generating and water-treatment facilities to food-processing plants and flour mills. This was no accident. As Barton Gellman of the Washington Post reported in June 1991: “Some targets, especially late in the war, were bombed primarily to create postwar leverage over Iraq, not to influence the course of the conflict itself. Planners now say their intent was to destroy or damage valuable facilities that Baghdad could not repair without foreign assistance. … Because of these goals, damage to civilian structures and interests, invariably described by briefers during the war as ‘collateral’ and unintended, was sometimes neither.”

Got that? The Bush administration deliberately targeted civilian infrastructure for “leverage” over Saddam Hussein. How is this not terrorism? As a Harvard public health team concluded in June 1991, less than four months after the end of the war, the destruction of Iraqi infrastructure had resulted in acute malnutrition and “epidemic” levels of cholera and typhoid.

By January 1992, Beth Osborne Daponte, a demographer with the U.S. Census Bureau, was estimating that Bush’s Gulf War had caused the deaths of 158,000 Iraqis, including 13,000 immediate civilian deaths and 70,000 deaths from the damage done to electricity and sewage treatment plants. Daponte’s numbers contradicted the Bush administration’s, and she was threatened by her superiors with dismissal for releasing “false information.” (Sound familiar?)

https://theintercept.com/2018/12/01/the-ignored-legacy-of-george-h-w-bush-war-crimes-racism-and-obstruction-of-justice/

Kale
May 14, 2010

St. Dogbert posted:

Trudeau has less than a year. Canada’s next election is in October 2019, at which point the polls indicate that his Liberals will be trounced by the Conservatives behind leader Andrew “Where Charisma Goes to Die” Scheer.

We’re following you guys right off the far-right cliff.

Ummmm no they don't. Trudeau's been rising in polls in recent months after falling behind in the summer during his embarrassing trip to India and just this week I saw the odds at something like 40% for another Liberal majority and like maybe a 15% chance that the Conservatives will gain a minority if the election were held today with a majority basically out of the question if you swear by the polling and historical forecasts. A lot could change in a year as it has in the last few months but right now Trudeau is the odds on bet for another majority or minority government. The only major news outlet I can see that keeps predicting a Sheer sweeping victory is the Sun Media stuff which is a right wing conservative hack tabloid organization with zero credibility.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/grenier-polls-2019-election-1.4870074

Basically the regular news media line for the last couple months has been about how A Trudeau re-election to majority government is far from guaranteed like many had assumed a year ago even if historically the incumbent party that's leading in the polls less than a year from election day goes on to win re-election. How someone gets from that to Liberals are going to get trounced (when they remain ahead in every credible poll if not by huge margins) and Sheer is a lock for the next PM is kind of their own journey to have.

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Yup, that's true.

I remember talking about the Berlin Wall falling in my German class. My teacher was, ecstatic. He had fled East Germany a million years ago (in my childhood mind) and never thought he'd see Germany whole again.

Also, LK, I know it's a joke around here but... if you're any indication of folks your age, y'all really are gonna save us all. I'm echoing the "When I was 24 I was an idiot" sentiment.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Katt posted:

Never forget that smell of singed Japanese electronics.

My best friend still has the mark on his palm from twirling the joystick in Mario Party games

These scrub kiddies will never know that feel

Also I'm 31 and I'll confirm I'm still a dumbass

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 4, 2018

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Nah most 24 year olds are still dummies. Source: my siblings and their friends

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Oh god...

I went to the Anti-Flag and Rise Against show in September and hurt my neck/shoulder from rocking too hard. Then I couldn't sleep very well and got a cold and was basically out of commission for 5 days from one concert. But I would absolutely do it again.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean it's true and I am a huge dumbass but what can ya do?

Yes. I really thought that all the hopes and dreams of the 90's would come true and there are times I can even laugh at Portlandia.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Oh god...

If you give a gently caress you aren't punk enough to be there anyway.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Feldegast42 posted:

My best friend still has the mark on his palm from twirling the joystick in Mario Party games

These scrub kiddies will never know that feel

I wonder what the modern equivalent of being given the Madcatz controller is.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Dow down 800 now.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Tatsuta Age posted:

Nah most 24 year olds are still dummies. Source: my siblings and their friends

While this is true they are also far more able to see the world around them and actually want to do something as compared with most of the people my age I knew when I was 24 in the early aughts.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Born in 76, raised by libs who are still libs, have gotten leftier as I got older, but reading the Obama admin via LF was what really converted me to an anti capitalist dirtbag.

Edit:
For me, getting older has meant less worry about making rent (I got extremely lucky by accident and have a good career) and much more about worry about meaning and fulfillment, and making the world better. When I was younger I wanted leftist policies because I needed relief. Now that I don’t need relief, I want them just as much because I want to think there’s hope for a better world.

selec fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 4, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

They were probably too young to do it on the N64, but they may have been doing it on the GBA? I forget when the DS came out and cartridges finally died. But I certainly remember blowing on GBA carts, for all the 'good' that did.

Dude the Switch uses cartridges and it's probably outselling the N64 by the end of the year. Not to mention the 3ds sitting at double that. And Sony just patented a new cartridge format.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

Also, LK, I know it's a joke around here but... if you're any indication of folks your age, y'all really are gonna save us all. I'm echoing the "When I was 24 I was an idiot" sentiment.

I've already reconciled myself to the idea that my generation is doomed and it's why I keep saying that alarmism and "hey things actually aren't getting better fast enough" are warranted sentiments in the face of global warming. We Are Out Of Time.

It's why even though I have fairly low faith in the Democratic Party to do things I still participate, because it is better to me than simply waiting for the end.

Doctor Butts posted:

Yes. I really thought that all the hopes and dreams of the 90's would come true and there are times I can even laugh at Portlandia.

I remember the very tail end of the '90s and a little bit of the 2000 election. I actually have a reasonably ok recollection of the time before 2012 but I don't trust my memories of it because I grew up in a deeply, deeply conservative environment. My classmates were being brainwashed to support Bush in the 2004 elections and we were in grade school.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Robviously posted:

While this is true they are also far more able to see the world around them and actually want to do something as compared with most of the people my age I knew when I was 24 in the early aughts.

It's possible, and I certainly hope it's true :)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I remember the Obamarama threads here. Those were over 10 years ago. :rip: pillowpants's spreadsheets.

I wasn't noticeably different at 24 than I am now though. I'm more left now and I drink a lot less, that's about it.

my first political memory was the election of 96 where I liked Bill Clinton because he played the saxophone like I did. Then the impeachment where I knew the President did something wrong and a lady was involved but I didn't really understand it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Dude the Switch uses cartridges and it's probably outselling the N64 by the end of the year. Not to mention the 3ds sitting at double that. And Sony just patented a new cartridge format.

Cartridges are back baby! It was only a matter of time.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

axeil posted:

I remember the Obamarama threads here. Those were over 10 years ago. :rip: pillowpants's spreadsheets.

I wasn't noticeably different at 24 than I am now though. I'm more left now and I drink a lot less, that's about it.

Same

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Your Taint posted:

Dow down 800 now.

petition to change the national anthem to Goofy’s “ya-ha-ha-hooie” on repeat until the end of the Trump admin.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
So when's the Trump tweet that blames Democrats for the market plummet?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I never got the cartridge hate. I remember when the Playstation and N64 where a thing and the playstation had loading times.

Like instead of a level starting. You watched a loading bar move from one side to the other. That was unacceptable to me.

And for the past 10 years or so a USB stick the size of a thumbnail holds like 20 GB and comes free with the purchase of a cereal box or happy meal. Cartridges should have returned and replaced CDs.

Cartridges also stacked better and didn't scratch.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Katt posted:

I never got the cartridge hate. I remember when the Playstation and N64 where a thing and the playstation had loading times.

Like instead of a level starting. You watched a loading bar move from one side to the other. That was unacceptable to me.

And for the past 10 years or so a USB stick the size of a thumbnail holds like 20 GB and comes free with the purchase of a cereal box or happy meal. Cartridges should have returned and replaced CDs.

They were expensive to produce and couldn't hold the same amount of data that was needed back in the day.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fart City posted:

petition to change the national anthem to Goofy’s “ya-ha-ha-hooie” on repeat until the end of the Trump admin.

If I take a knee every time I watch Goof Troop I'm going to need surgery.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Katt posted:

They kind of have, the Switch uses carts. But it's all getting replaced by digital purchases anyway.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I started an antibush insurgency during the Scholastic mock election in first grade.

My antiintellectual bent was strong, but I knew that Gore was an okay dude doing his best. My liberal teacher was disappointed by my rationale but gently caress it,

(THIS USER WAS PUT IN TIME OUT)

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

Katt posted:

FYI you can fit like 400GB in that size lol, I remember buying my first flash drive when they came out. Spent like $50 on 256 MEGAbytes

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

EdithUpwards posted:

I started an antibush insurgency during the Scholastic mock election in first grade.

My antiintellectual bent was strong, but I knew that Gore was an okay dude doing his best. My liberal teacher was disappointed by my rationale but gently caress it,

(THIS USER WAS PUT IN TIME OUT)

I wish I was as cool as you were in first grade.

I was probably always destined to be some kind of liberal or leftist tho, I went to Catholic school for all of my primary and secondary education and I was always more interested in the "why are there poor people and how can we help them?" parts than the "how do we best tell gay people to gently caress off?" parts.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Toobly posted:

FYI you can fit like 400GB in that size lol, I remember buying my first flash drive when they came out. Spent like $50 on 256 MEGAbytes

LOL at you kids who's first flash drive had 3 digits in it's size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Katt posted:

Unfortunately for you this isn't how the gaming industry works anymore and like nobody is crying for the cartridge to come back except for extreme weirdos who have this weird nostalgia about them. They were terrible for sound quality and didn't have enough space on them to have anything resembling actual video quality as well as being super expensive. The USB Flash Drive found in your cereal or happy meal is also going to have a drastically noticeable slowdown when it comes to read and transfer speed so you won't instantly have a level loaded there either.

This is why there are still loading times on the switch even though they've moved back to an SD card, technology has changed and for the better and one of the downsizes was a loading bar (that most gaming companies have gotten to just 1 load time anyway)

Like I can't stress the importance of how that space being made available has allowed companies to experiment and push the boundaries that a cartridge didn't even dream of doing in the first place but that isn't for the USPOL thread tbh.