Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

DLC Inc posted:

removing C4 wtf that is a legit step backward from the other games. christ JC2 really was a fluke.

Tbf JC and JC2 were the only ones made by the main Avalanche team with these last two made by a NY studio. I liked Mad Max more than I should have and that game was in development hell for ages, so I'm holding out hope for Rage 2. Even though who cares about the Rage license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Visually this game looks worse than JC2, not just the technical glitches but the basic art style/color palette too :wtf:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DLC Inc posted:

removing C4 wtf that is a legit step backward from the other games. christ JC2 really was a fluke.

What is the thought process on this? Did they not realize that C4 was like one of the most fun ways to destroy stuff in the previous games? That's gotta be the dumbest design decision I've heard about in a while, jesus.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Wait hang on did they really remove C4 from the game? I thought y'all were joking :psyduck:

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
If you want exploding sticky things there are a lot of different modifiers for your tether to make them explode. Pulse on reactor, hydrogen on balloon and explode on thruster.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Well, just had a new GPU crash. I'm under the two hour mark. It's refund time and maybe I'll return some other day.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Another thing, the UI is loving hot garbage if you're using M&KB... holy gently caress @ the design decisions in this game.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mordja posted:

Welp, I was hoping this would improve on the last game's failures, but now maybe I'll just pick up JC3 on the cheap if I want some mindless destruction. I hear this game doesn't even have C4s or grenades anymore? :wtf:

I mean, it's pretty easy to get an assault rifle with a grenade launcher or an RPG. But yeah, this is hosed so far unless you get some sorta upgrade later.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Taintrunner posted:

I mean, it's pretty easy to get an assault rifle with a grenade launcher or an RPG. But yeah, this is hosed so far unless you get some sorta upgrade later.

Have you bothered to try any of the exploding mods for the tether?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Inzombiac posted:

Well, just had a new GPU crash. I'm under the two hour mark. It's refund time and maybe I'll return some other day.

I was playing the game for like 4 hours straight yesterday and didn't have a single crash, GPU or otherwise.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Indiana_Krom posted:

I was playing the game for like 4 hours straight yesterday and didn't have a single crash, GPU or otherwise.

i crashed on the opening mission 3 times and that mission is boring as HELL

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had one crash on my brand new 1080ti. This game is hosed.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Spent 80 minutes playing this and I already like it much, much more than JC3. Visually it's pretty decent but not as good as JC2, the colour palette during certain times of day has some terrible blacks (Easy now) but I've not had any of the horrible LOD issues I'm seeing. I figured it was my monitor but I'm recording it on a seperate one and it looks bad there. The decision to use recorded cutscenes is baffling because they're hideously compressed. Texture quality up close on anything but characters is also real, real bad. I'm thinking that must be a bug.

Vehicle handling feels better, mercifully. Cars are much heavier and feel closer to JC2. I love the balloon attachments for the grapple and have some fun footage recorded from abusing them, but holy poo poo the menus suck on the PC. I'm having a good time so far but I'll keep playing before I make a full verdict.

E: WOOF. Just found the area people are pointing out where the LoD and texture work is horribly, obviously broken. It's in the mountainside area for Javi's first mission and oh boy is it bad.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 4, 2018

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I Played JC3 on PC with KB/M, and now after playing on the console it's obvious they optimized it for this input. I remember in 3 when you latched onto someone and zoomed in to kick, they would go flying and give you a shot at blowing them away mid-fall. This appears to be gone, unless it's hidden behind an upgrade? I'm also always running out of ammunition, I think i'm playing the game wrong.

I have no idea how the upgrade system works because the map / upgrade menus are so loving bad. Also the map runs at like 13FPS for some reason. I'm really trying to be positive about this game but Christ...

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Nuts and Gum posted:

I Played JC3 on PC with KB/M, and now after playing on the console it's obvious they optimized it for this input. I remember in 3 when you latched onto someone and zoomed in to kick, they would go flying and give you a shot at blowing them away mid-fall. This appears to be gone, unless it's hidden behind an upgrade? I'm also always running out of ammunition, I think i'm playing the game wrong.

I have no idea how the upgrade system works because the map / upgrade menus are so loving bad. Also the map runs at like 13FPS for some reason. I'm really trying to be positive about this game but Christ...

How far they get kicked is based on distance traveled and angle you connect at. If you are going down at them it just hurls them into the ground but if you come uphill or off an edge they still go flying.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So I tried switching the LOD factor between very high and low, and gently caress if I can tell the difference. Even took screen shots between the two then flipped back and forth rapidly and I couldn't see anything different. Also apparently my PC can't tell the difference either because the framerate stays the same. It sure looks to me like the LOD Factor setting does nothing.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It's clear something has gone terribly wrong with the build they've released because there's no way this game intentionally looks so bad in the areas where it's noticeable. Most of the time the game looks okay to decent but when you get to certain areas it turns into a mushy mess that would've embarrassed a PS1. Texture quality is low across the board - it's fine from a distance but garbage up close. The new toys are a shitload of fun to play with and it lets you get right into the action which is great, but they're gonna have to release a patch ASAP for the graphics because the negative press they're gonna receive will hit them like a ton of bricks. Enemies are still bulletsponges to everything but headshots but this has been the case in the series up til now so I'm not really surprised by that.

E: Yeah, I'm gonna hold off playing this until I hear about a patch. I'm not gonna refund it because from what I played I genuinely had fun and got a laugh out of the dumb poo poo I could do, but goddamn do those graphical issues really suck the joy out of it. Looking at this game is hard.

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 5, 2018

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Songbearer posted:

It's clear something has gone terribly wrong with the build they've released because there's no way this game intentionally looks so bad in the areas where it's noticeable. Most of the time the game looks okay to decent but when you get to certain areas it turns into a mushy mess that would've embarrassed a PS1. Texture quality is low across the board - it's fine from a distance but garbage up close. The new toys are a shitload of fun to play with and it lets you get right into the action which is great, but they're gonna have to release a patch ASAP for the graphics because the negative press they're gonna receive will hit them like a ton of bricks. Enemies are still bulletsponges to everything but headshots but this has been the case in the series up til now so I'm not really surprised by that.

The textures aren't universally bad though. Some are very high quality and some look like pilot wings for the snes.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
Performance is smooth on 2560*1440 all maxed between 95-125 fps, depending on the action and area.
But the graphics look indeed like a 2008 game in some places. Really disappointing.
I still enjoy the chaos and explosions and fooling around with the grappling stuff, it is where the game still shines.
But right now I need to play some more hours before I can or cannot recommend this as a fullprice buy.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Songbearer posted:

Maybe it's just my system but the sound seems way off as well.

Rico doesn't have footsteps and the grappling hook doesn't make noticeable noise half of the time.

Oh well, it's refunded and I'll pick it up in a month or so at $40 or less.
Maybe they'll have a LOD patch by then.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Inzombiac posted:

Maybe it's just my system but the sound seems way off as well.

Rico doesn't have footsteps and the grappling hook doesn't make noticeable noise half of the time.

Oh well, it's refunded and I'll pick it up in a month or so at $40 or less.
Maybe they'll have a LOD patch by then.

What are your specs, because the minimum specs are very high

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So, uh, in the PC version... Where the gently caress is the mouse sensitivity setting?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Combat Pretzel posted:

So, uh, in the PC version... Where the gently caress is the mouse sensitivity setting?

Camera Sensitivity is under Gameplay. It starts at 80 and goes to 100.

It doesn't do anything, near as I can tell. I have to keep lifting my mouse to look around.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Byolante posted:

What are your specs, because the minimum specs are very high

i5 4570, 16GB DDR3, GTX 970.
I can run everything modern at high/ultra settings just fine.

It's just the same issues loads of other people are having.

There may be $60 worth of meat in there but the presentation is so bad that I don't care to find out right now. I still have a Deus Ex game to play and Smash is on Friday.

It's a shame because it's the type of game I love the most. They never really patched the issues out of JC3 so I'm not crazy optimistic about this.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Songbearer posted:

Camera Sensitivity is under Gameplay. It starts at 80 and goes to 100.

It doesn't do anything, near as I can tell. I have to keep lifting my mouse to look around.

That's another thing. I don't think its possible to play this via KB/Mouse unless you also have the ability to set custom DPI levels, since the max sensitivity level is still way below default of a normal game.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Byolante posted:

How far they get kicked is based on distance traveled and angle you connect at. If you are going down at them it just hurls them into the ground but if you come uphill or off an edge they still go flying.

Oh! That actually makes a lot of sense :)

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Also, they should have gotten the voice actor from JC3.

--edit: Wow this game does not look nice. If it's the same team as JC3, how did they gently caress that up?

--edit: Also, why the hell are the cutscenes prerendered? The previous game just did it fine in-engine.

--edit: Seems like only the initial one on the bridge is. Also, not near the bridge, things look somewhat better.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Dec 5, 2018

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So have we heard anything from the devs? Anything at all???

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
The cutscenes feel like they forgot to decompress the xvid video

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I have the follow mod, hover mod and medium balloon power set currently, I have a gaggle of oil drums following me that I can just use a retractor tether to hurl at people. Time to pretend im a jedi.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Shinjobi posted:

Nuts and Gum posted:

The cutscenes feel like they forgot to decompress the xvid video
man I really hope this is all a fluke and there's some heavy day 1 patches queued up.

because im feeling like this will be 50-60% off on christmas

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Okay... Real question. What could have changed with the game from yesterday to today if my PC hasn't downloaded any patches for the game? I played for 4 and half or 5 hours yesterday / last night and it ran great, other than the few hiccups I mentioned, now it runs like complete poo poo. Hitches up for 30 seconds plus multiple times. I checked and steam didn't do an update, and all my drivers are the same. Any thoughts? I am thinking it has to do with the servers coming online for the records or whatever, but IDK.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
That reminds me of an old problem with leaderboards for JC3. I think it will let you disable that stuff in the settings, give that a shot.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

buglord posted:

man I really hope this is all a fluke and there's some heavy day 1 patches queued up.

because im feeling like this will be 50-60% off on christmas

I think (or more accurately I hope) this is just some crazy fluke because I've been watching videos of pre-release gameplay that looked great, or at the very least functional.

That's what's so crazy about this - the gameplay I've seen in the betas (which from what I understood were basically fully-functional and only lacked story stuff) looked pretty smooth, so what the hell happened!?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
loving around in the open world with just the balloons and basic tether (Holding off the story missions until they fix this stuff) and I've done a ton of things that made me laugh out loud. Abuse the umbrellas and utility vehicles like diggers a bunch and the physics are guaranteed to do something wild and unpredictable.

This'll be a great game for compilations but if they can't get their poo poo together it's going to be ignored and forgotten. I'd say it's a shame but seriously, how could they release a game this way?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Do the director scene to get the boosters. You can get real wacky real quick

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

i crashed on the opening mission 3 times and that mission is boring as HELL

Me too. 1080, gpu infinite loop.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Shinjobi posted:

don't hold your breath, I remember thinking they would fix the framerate for JC3 on PS4 and all they did was make it loving worse with every patch. Whoever the "b-team" is at Avalanche, they loving suck rear end

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Merrill Grinch posted:

Check this poo poo out on my PS Pro (ie: it's not my settings or my drivers, it's the game)

The most eye-destroying water animation ever devised by man:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2HMFOrdXAg

And a very special clip involving a heaving, throbbing rock who only wants to be noticed by Rico:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6d0Z-xuKgk

Bold choice using Mercenaries 2 Morrowind water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Kibayasu posted:

That’s probably a bit strong but it was way better than it had any right to be.

Yeah okay that's fair. The sound of that shotgun through my subwoofer still brings a smile to my face, though.