Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

PlushCow posted:

But Highlander.... :negative:

I know. I just felt like messing up your joke. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
There's no point getting a internet connection that's faster than the read/write speed of your SSD correct? They are offering 1gig fibre here soon(tm), but my SSD is at around 550mb.

I ordered the 1gig cause "i've had max 5mb download my entire life, time to go ham", but i started thinking that i might be wasting almost half of it and could just go down to the lower package instantly instead of being max decadent for a year.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Are you sure that it's gigabyte not gigabit? 1 gigabit/s is 125MB/s.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Ah, no its 1000 Mbps and my SSD is 550 MB, so i should be good then. drat, that's so easy to confuse.

Edit: i see that i actually ordered the 500/500 connection and not 1000, eh its probably more than enough

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Hey - what's a suite of bootable software that's decent for recovering data from a corrupted external hard drive? I had one years ago but I can't remember what it was called.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Ddrescue was suggested to me a bit ago, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I didn't get a hyper 212 evo with a second fan so I only have one bracket and didn't want to bubblegum and paperclip a second one

In theory they were going to add a way to buy those little accessories from their site but any time I went I basically got an under construction sign

Otoh I don't need a second fan

But otoh, I don't really need anything in that computer

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Delthalaz posted:

Hey - what's a suite of bootable software that's decent for recovering data from a corrupted external hard drive? I had one years ago but I can't remember what it was called.

Knoppix is what I usually use, if you’re good at the Linux

But I hear that Hiren’s boot cd is easier to use and what is probably what you had before

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Holy poo poo there's a thing I haven't thought about in like 15 years.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Are 65-70°C while gaming okay temperatures for the i5-8600k on stock speed?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Mr. Neutron posted:

Are 65-70°C while gaming okay temperatures for the i5-8600k on stock speed?

That's a little warm but won't damage the CPU or anything. You may want to remount your heatsink to see if you can get them a little lower at some point in case there's too much thermal paste or it's not tightened down enough or something.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

el dorito posted:

Knoppix is what I usually use, if you’re good at the Linux

But I hear that Hiren’s boot cd is easier to use and what is probably what you had before

LRADIKAL posted:

Ddrescue was suggested to me a bit ago, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thanks! I think it was Hiren or Knoppix.

Turns out I have a bunch of bad sectors. Is it even possible to get data off of them at all?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you have to find a cloning program that will do a sector-by-sector copy. However, depending on the extent of the damage this may not get you all your data recovered.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Ddrescue does a sector-by-sector copy and with the map file it can continue later and skip problem spots. But you will first need to copy the whole drive to another drive or image file, then use some other software for the file recovery if the file system is corrupted.

How is it corrupted? I assume Windows is unable to read the drive. You could try if some Linux live-CD like Knoppix or System Rescue CD would be able to read the file system, so you first try copying the most important files.

Saukkis fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Dec 5, 2018

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Yeah so I was able to copy all of the most important files first. There are still a few I would like to recover, but I got a bad sector error when I tried to copy them. I copied 99% of the drive using fastcopy over a couple days back when it worked. Then, like a moron, I ran checkdisk once my big copying job was finished to see if that would rescue data from bad sectors, but afterwards windows stopped recognizing the file structure of the drive (the drive still appears but as RAW iirc). I'm able to look at the contents of the drive with R-Studio, but when I try to copy the particular files I want I get repeated bad sector errors.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Delthalaz posted:

Yeah so I was able to copy all of the most important files first. There are still a few I would like to recover, but I got a bad sector error when I tried to copy them. I copied 99% of the drive using fastcopy over a couple days back when it worked. Then, like a moron, I ran checkdisk once my big copying job was finished to see if that would rescue data from bad sectors, but afterwards windows stopped recognizing the file structure of the drive (the drive still appears but as RAW iirc). I'm able to look at the contents of the drive with R-Studio, but when I try to copy the particular files I want I get repeated bad sector errors.

I've had some luck with Recuva in windows: https://www.ccleaner.com/recuva

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Delthalaz posted:

Those files are hosed, dude. Attempted recovery is going to give you partially corrupted data that is going to have a very high chance of being unusable.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
This is more of a software question but anyway, I replaced the HDD in my mom's laptop with an SSD and installed Win 10 (from an official installer tool-created USB stick). The old HDD had Win 8.1 on it.

However the installation never asked me for a key and when it finished and connected to the internet it said Windows were activated.

So, did it somehow use the Windows 8 key or what?

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Mr. Neutron posted:

This is more of a software question but anyway, I replaced the HDD in my mom's laptop with an SSD and installed Win 10 (from an official installer tool-created USB stick). The old HDD had Win 8.1 on it.

However the installation never asked me for a key and when it finished and connected to the internet it said Windows were activated.

So, did it somehow use the Windows 8 key or what?

It probably has the key burned into the bios like a lot of notebooks do.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
yo do standing desks count as hardware? i looked for a more appropriate thread but couldn't find one, so i'll ask here. i'm looking for a small (able to fit a monitor/keyboard/mouse/microphone) adjustable standing/sitting desk, any suggestions?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Farecoal posted:

yo do standing desks count as hardware? i looked for a more appropriate thread but couldn't find one, so i'll ask here. i'm looking for a small (able to fit a monitor/keyboard/mouse/microphone) adjustable standing/sitting desk, any suggestions?

Nah, this thread is for PC components, although it doesn't really matter, someone will probably still be able to help you. More directly relating to your question, however:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh9wyy0S3dg

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
I think this thread's a better fit than the PC parts one for this question but let me know if not and I'll move over there.

The fan on my Hyper 103 CPU cooler has started making a bit of noise on startup. It settles down after a minute or so which I think means that it's the colder weather messing up the bearing; once it's warmed up a bit it's perfectly normal. I'm going to replace it, but where I live the selection in local stores is really sparse and I can't find much in the way of 92mm PWM fans. I can go out immediately and replace it with a cheap, non-PWM one, or I can order the Noctua NF-A9 on Amazon and wait 10 days for shipment (or, alternatively, 3-5 days on Newegg but for a 30% price increase).

I guess the question is - does this sound like it can wait a bit? The fact that it works and sounds fine once it's warmed up suggests to my mind that its death is not necessarily imminent, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

(I probably didn't do it any favors by mounting the cooler horizontally considering it's a sleeve bearing fan. I can't remember if that was mandated by my motherboard or if I just hosed up. At least my case has a mesh up top so it's not an airflow disaster.)

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Farecoal posted:

There's the "post your desktop" thread, I guess.

Anyhow, I like my bamboo Jarvis and recommended them the last time someone asked. A small one will cost you a little over $400 so there are cheaper options, but they're good quality. Buying an adjustable frame and attaching it to a desktop of your chocie is also an option if you have a nice slab of wood around. Uplift are reportedly pretty equivalent quality, but I don't have one of those.

If you do get a standing desk I definitely recommend getting a motorized one and a controller with memory. That switching from sitting height to standing height is a one-press operation without any annoying manual tuning is the thing that actually makes me use it, because I am very lazy.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Glare Seethe posted:

I think this thread's a better fit than the PC parts one for this question but let me know if not and I'll move over there.

The fan on my Hyper 103 CPU cooler has started making a bit of noise on startup. It settles down after a minute or so which I think means that it's the colder weather messing up the bearing; once it's warmed up a bit it's perfectly normal. I'm going to replace it, but where I live the selection in local stores is really sparse and I can't find much in the way of 92mm PWM fans. I can go out immediately and replace it with a cheap, non-PWM one, or I can order the Noctua NF-A9 on Amazon and wait 10 days for shipment (or, alternatively, 3-5 days on Newegg but for a 30% price increase).

I guess the question is - does this sound like it can wait a bit? The fact that it works and sounds fine once it's warmed up suggests to my mind that its death is not necessarily imminent, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

(I probably didn't do it any favors by mounting the cooler horizontally considering it's a sleeve bearing fan. I can't remember if that was mandated by my motherboard or if I just hosed up. At least my case has a mesh up top so it's not an airflow disaster.)

Order the PWM fan on Amazon, it probably isn't going to completely die in a couple weeks but it may start squeaking constantly. If it does actually start to seize up or squeak constantly you can probably do some emergency first aid by taking it out, peeling off the protective sticker and putting a couple drops of WD-40 into the bearing/housing and working it in by spinning the blades manually. If it is a sleeve bearing that will probably free it up for a few days at a time.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

Order the PWM fan on Amazon, it probably isn't going to completely die in a couple weeks but it may start squeaking constantly. If it does actually start to seize up or squeak constantly you can probably do some emergency first aid by taking it out, peeling off the protective sticker and putting a couple drops of WD-40 into the bearing/housing and working it in by spinning the blades manually. If it is a sleeve bearing that will probably free it up for a few days at a time.

Awesome, thanks for the tip. That helps put my mind at ease a bit knowing I could do some first aid if needed. I'll go on and place the order. Looking again I was wrong about the shipping costs / times, Amazon lists it as Dec 21-31, so I think I'll add the $5 and get it from Newegg within 3-5 days instead. Probably worth it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Should it really stop spinning, you can always just take the fan off and zip-tie any other fan to it. Or even just leave the case open with a desk fan pointed at it and live with some thermal throttling.
The days of CPUs burning themselves out the moment cooling fails are luckily in the past.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Hopefully it doesn't come to that and it will be okay until I get the new one. It's decently cold in my apartment too so that might help if the fan really just up and dies, it's idling at 30 C with the fan on 50% right now.

Anyway, thanks everyone, I'm somewhat more relaxed now. :)

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

So I'm in a weird situation, I'm in between moving to a new city and still need to give some internet access to my girlfriend while we pack up all our poo poo for a few weeks. She has a phone but it doesn't have a hotspot on our plan and she needs Windows for school and such.

One of my friends is letting us borrow his Windows 10 HTPC since he is busy too, he was nice enough to trust me with admin credentials but he asked to please not delete anything. It has two NICs and I've been trying to get Windows ICS going on here. I've made a straight connection to my modem with PPPoE that comes in on NIC1 then I share that PPPoE to NIC2. I throw one of our laptops on to the switch and it pulls up an address from 192.168.137.0/24 so I at least know DHCP is working.

It's the damnest thing I just can't figure out. I'll try to ping from that laptop to the HTPC, when the command goes through it'll pull up an IP address from Google but everything times out. So I know it is somewhat resolving hosts but none of the traffic is coming through. The only thing I can think of outside of loving with the firewall some more is getting the ICS "Unidentified network" set to Private instead of Public but Windows won't let me change it at all.

I'm going to try a Ubuntu live session test to see if it all shares on it to see if it's all truly hardware related, I dont think I'd need a crossover cable this day and age right? Anyone have any ideas?

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Does anyone have any recommendation for 5 port wired switch that will play well as an accesspoint?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Green Puddin posted:

So I'm in a weird situation, I'm in between moving to a new city and still need to give some internet access to my girlfriend while we pack up all our poo poo for a few weeks. She has a phone but it doesn't have a hotspot on our plan and she needs Windows for school and such.

One of my friends is letting us borrow his Windows 10 HTPC since he is busy too, he was nice enough to trust me with admin credentials but he asked to please not delete anything. It has two NICs and I've been trying to get Windows ICS going on here. I've made a straight connection to my modem with PPPoE that comes in on NIC1 then I share that PPPoE to NIC2. I throw one of our laptops on to the switch and it pulls up an address from 192.168.137.0/24 so I at least know DHCP is working.

It's the damnest thing I just can't figure out. I'll try to ping from that laptop to the HTPC, when the command goes through it'll pull up an IP address from Google but everything times out. So I know it is somewhat resolving hosts but none of the traffic is coming through. The only thing I can think of outside of loving with the firewall some more is getting the ICS "Unidentified network" set to Private instead of Public but Windows won't let me change it at all.

I'm going to try a Ubuntu live session test to see if it all shares on it to see if it's all truly hardware related, I dont think I'd need a crossover cable this day and age right? Anyone have any ideas?

I don't understand what you're trying to do here that wouldn't be done correctly by buying a cheap router? For something like this, just go to Best Buy and get what they have for around $30-$50 as you're going to need one when you finish moving anyway.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Thanks again all for the CPU fan suggestions earlier, I want everyone to know I successfully plugged in a PC fan.

Current mood:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Stop pushing us away, we're here to help you

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Green Puddin posted:

gigabit NICs do not need crossover cables - they autodetect the connection and behave accordingly

If dhcp is working, then it is unlikely that the cabling itself is the issue

I don’t know too much about ICS but maybe it doesn’t do pinging. Have you tried to eschew pinging and just open a webpage, or does that time out?

Live CD with ubuntu should definitely work, I think. Open a new thread and PM me with a link and I’ll try to help out.

Also, I second the other guy’s recommendation. Depending on where you live, you’d only have to drop about $15 to $25 for a router that should fix the issue

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Ironsolid posted:

Does anyone have any recommendation for 5 port wired switch that will play well as an accesspoint?

Are you asking for a WAP with a built-in switch? There are countless options; just get a cheap one if you need something that works economically, or spend more for a higher-end model with more features like a router and dual-band MIMO, etc. There's no "must have" model nowadays.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Does anyone actually make a combination layer two switch and access point? Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 10, 2018

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Geoj posted:

Does anyone actually make a combination layer two switch and access point? Seems like a solution in search of a problem.

pretty much any wireless router is a layer two switch and access point if you:
  • don’t plug in the wan
  • disable dhcp
  • set a static local address (not necessarily necessary in theory but useful in practice for administration)

it’s useful if you want to split routing and wireless, especially for dead simple flat networks where you can’t be around to help if things break

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Geoj posted:

I don't know but I've used a mikrotik router like the hAP-AC for this before.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Ok so, i have a computer room and a large VR room. In between these rooms i have a tiny hole that i run wires for the Rift & it's sensors through. I wanna play Elite Dangerous in VR again (cause it got a cool update), but this means i have to get a mouse, a keyboard and my HOTAS setup into that room as well.

Can i use a "USB Hub" to do this? Run a active USB extender cable through the VR gloryhole, attach it to the USB Hub and then attach keyboard, mouse & HOTAS to that?
Would this thing work like that? https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5522_UH700.html

I have absolutely zero experience with these things and i'm not 100% sure of what they actually do.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Yes, that is literally what they are for. A powered hub like you linked is especially good if you're gonna attach stuff to it that might need a lot of power from USB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Dongattack posted:

Can i use a "USB Hub" to do this? Run a active USB extender cable through the VR gloryhole, attach it to the USB Hub and then attach keyboard, mouse & HOTAS to that?
Would this thing work like that? https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5522_UH700.html

There is a distance limitation to a single-run USB cable. If you need to go further than about 10 feet you'll need an "active" USB cable (basically plugs into a DC power supply and amplifies the signal) to extend that range out to about 150 feet.