Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I just got my first orange, a Divine Ishbaala. The random googling I've done makes her seem rather divisive. Double gem changer sounds awesome, am I missing something here? Also, how do you you build a team around her, just stuff that feeds her or should I bee looking for something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

All I see in the in-game guild chat is Porktree's last two messages about floor 8. Do we have the current layout anywhere else?

Edit: Disconnect/reconnect to chat fixed it.

Bandire fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 3, 2018

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Solkanar512 posted:

So I just got my first orange, a Divine Ishbaala. The random googling I've done makes her seem rather divisive. Double gem changer sounds awesome, am I missing something here? Also, how do you you build a team around her, just stuff that feeds her or should I bee looking for something else?

Double Gem changers are generally really good - Ishbaala is one of the better ones because giving Enchant is pretty powerful. Double changers are great because you can look for two opportunities to make a Match-4 or -5. Glaycion is one of the few that beats her imo because he makes Doomskulls instead of skulls, so he's much more explodey - and particularly beneficial if you have a Duststorm active.

For newbie, I would recommend Titan + Mountain Crusher (Get your mastery up to 17 brown and maybe beat Khaziel too to unlock? it's in the upper right area). Titan is a really great all-rounder because brown matches give it barrier (tank the next hit with 0 damage), and Mountain Crusher is pretty good at +0, and once you have it upgraded to create Duststorms (more likely to see brown gems drop) it gets absurd.

So:

Hero - Titan / Mountain Crusher (Brown)
Divine Ishbaala (Yellow / Purple)

and last two are up to you - you probably want to cover the open colors. If you get your Mountain Crusher upgraded, it's pretty okay to have some overlap on Brown, because you makes TONS of it.

An okay pair would be:
Giant Spider (Blue / Green) - Makes purple gems to feed Ishbaala
Spiritdancer (Blue / Purple) - Makes green gems

Ishbaala was nerfed a few months back, and the most powerful way to build her uses a weapon that isn't really available right now, Divine Protector

The team that it uses is:

Divine Protector / (Priest probably?)
Infernus
Ubastet
Divine Ishbaala

and it's pretty absurd once it gets rolling. I would imagine you could do something similar with Mountain Smasher / Titan instead of Divine Protector, but it wouldn't be nearly as awful for opponents.

Infernus and Ubastet are both Mythics (extremely hard to get) and are Divines along with Ishbaala - so they get the benefit of starting at 40% mana from Ishbaala's third trait to help get the explode-train rolling. Priest counts as a Divine for the buffs.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Thanks for all that! I'll certainly give this a try.

I originally adapted my Enchant team to:

Yellow++/Red+/Green-
Sifu Yuan (It's max level so the new ones don't die)
Monkey Disciple
Divine Ishbaala
Diviner

It's a risky team adapted from a random youtube video I found (They used Peng instead of Sifu) in that if I get the matches I can keep going, otherwise MD misses and the opponent gets a ton of matches instead. I just need more souls...

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Solkanar512 posted:

Thanks for all that! I'll certainly give this a try.

I originally adapted my Enchant team to:

Yellow++/Red+/Green-
Sifu Yuan (It's max level so the new ones don't die)
Monkey Disciple
Divine Ishbaala
Diviner

It's a risky team adapted from a random youtube video I found (They used Peng instead of Sifu) in that if I get the matches I can keep going, otherwise MD misses and the opponent gets a ton of matches instead. I just need more souls...

That's a cute team - although I suspect its gimmick was to get that sweet Shentang Kingdom Bonus, and kingdom bonuses aren't really that worth it. You also aren't using a Hero - which means if you're using this to grind, you aren't leveling up your Class. You need to win hundreds and thousands of matches to unlock the higher level traits, some of which do serious work (e.g. at Class Level 70, Titan can explode a random yellow gem on 4- and 5-match.)

Reasons Penglong is doing a lot more work in that guy's team that you may not realize:

40% Skull Damage Reduction - This is pretty important, this lets him tank 2-4 hits instead of getting blown up in 1 or 2 random skull matches

He does AOE damage, boosted up to +8 of his base if all 4 of your dudes are enchanted (or +6? he probably doesn't get to cast while enchanted, I think enchanted falls off at max mana). Nothing in your team is really paying you off for being enchanted though - it's almost a negative, because when your guys are already enchanted, your spells that enchant them aren't giving extra bonus.

You could probably find a better unit to sub in for Monkey Disciple - like you said he's pretty risky, and with lower level troops and grinding out slow matches, you probably want to have something safer. One of the troops that says "Take an Extra Turn" would be good. If you hit the Filter icon on the right side of your Troop menu, you can sort by "Spell Effect" and choose "Extra Turn".

Early on I really liked Boar Rider, because not only do you get an extra turn, sometimes you can use the ability to make a skull match, if there's a stack of 3 skulls with a one-gem map, and you delete the gap row.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
What are your Tower teams?

I'm using:

Gorgotha ***
Jarl ***
Dawnbringer +9 Titan
King Highforge
Meteor Banner

I haven't lost yet, but Tower 9 has been a challenge.

MrTundra
Aug 19, 2014

porktree posted:

What are your Tower teams?

I'm using:

Gorgotha ***
Jarl ***
Dawnbringer +9 Titan
King Highforge
Meteor Banner

I haven't lost yet, but Tower 9 has been a challenge.

I'm using:
Gorgotha ***
Glaycion ***
King Bloodhammer ***
Titan / Doomed Blade
Khaziel banner

Doomskull spam - seen me through tower 10 with no trouble so far.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

MrTundra posted:

I'm using:
Gorgotha ***
Glaycion ***
King Bloodhammer ***
Titan / Doomed Blade
Khaziel banner

Doomskull spam - seen me through tower 10 with no trouble so far.

Titan mountain crusher
King bloodhammer***
Ubastet (he’s not doing a ton)***
Glaycion***

Really good if Glaycion and king bloodhammer can play off each other. Ubastet doesn’t work on dooms and rarely helps. Should I swap him out?

Mid late game question: what happens when you get all your troops ascended to Mythic? I’m not leveling all of them to 20, but what goal should I have now?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Guild chat sucks, I'm pretty sure that someone has updated it since I posted yesterday, but even after force quitting I don't see anything new.

Floor 10
Green Unlock
Blue
Purple
Gold

edit: also, doesn't the Mountain Crusher's 6th upgrade work against you; creating a dust storm over rides the doomskull storm.

edit2: chat just showed up; sorry about the floor 8 confusion. I am not a counter, I'm an ideas person.

porktree fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 4, 2018

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

porktree posted:

Guild chat sucks, I'm pretty sure that someone has updated it since I posted yesterday, but even after force quitting I don't see anything new.

Floor 10
Green Unlock
Blue
Purple
Gold

edit: also, doesn't the Mountain Crusher's 6th upgrade work against you; creating a dust storm over rides the doomskull storm.

edit2: chat just showed up; sorry about the floor 8 confusion. I am not a counter, I'm an ideas person.

Having more Browns from Dust storm means that mountain crusher will explode the board, then give you a real chance to match brown to fill it up again while barriering your titan, and a good chance at an extra turn.

If there are doom skulls falling from the sky I really really want my titan to be barriered

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Devor posted:

Having more Browns from Dust storm means that mountain crusher will explode the board, then give you a real chance to match brown to fill it up again while barriering your titan, and a good chance at an extra turn.

If there are doom skulls falling from the sky I really really want my titan to be barriered

I see your point - I did floor 13's gold room (unlock) with Crusher/Glaycion/Bloodhammer/Fire Giant; and it worked pretty good. We'll see how doom battle goes.

edit:
Went fine, swapping fire giant for Jarl because even though he matches Bloodhammer there is plenty of brown to go around.

Floor 14
Green - Haste
Blue - Unlock

porktree fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 4, 2018

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

porktree posted:

I see your point - I did floor 13's gold room (unlock) with Crusher/Glaycion/Bloodhammer/Fire Giant; and it worked pretty good. We'll see how doom battle goes.

I've yet to drop a match up to Floor 11 with Crusher/Glaycion/Ubastet/Emperor Khorvash

I think I would prefer Khorvash over Fire Giant - mana drain in a pinch, and keeps everything stunned pretty constantly (Dooms are immune to both, natch)

But the Doom itself is rarely the problem

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Daft newbie questions ahoy

Are the guild tasks literally just "contribute this much gold" or is there more to them than that? (I'm following thread advice and ignoring them till I'm done with kingdoms, but curious nonetheless)

Do the guild guardians have any more functionality besides giving me (enormous, relative to my level) mana surge bonuses? And do their levels ever reset?

At level 63 is there any point my even trying to play anything in the "games" tab besides treasure hunt and arena?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Devor posted:

I've yet to drop a match up to Floor 11 with Crusher/Glaycion/Ubastet/Emperor Khorvash

I think I would prefer Khorvash over Fire Giant - mana drain in a pinch, and keeps everything stunned pretty constantly (Dooms are immune to both, natch)

But the Doom itself is rarely the problem

Floor 15
Green Unlock

Floor 16
Blue Life

Ugh, I'm out of sigils. I'm on the fence about spending another 150 gems.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
I've switched back to a trusty Mountain Crusher Titan setup to clear level 13 so far. It's supported by Glaycion, The Deep King (tons of better options, but it uses blue and I actually have it), and Nobend Brothers to make use of my brown mana overflows.

Re: questions, yeah that's all guild tasks are, a pit for the guild to throw gold into. Guardians have some passive bonuses that you can see if you click on them in the overview tab, and that's it. Their levels don't reset. As for what to do, kingdom quests are alright, and some give decent troops. Daily games and weekly guild events are worth dipping your toe into as well.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Would it be better to use Jarl instead of Ubastet?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

Would it be better to use Jarl instead of Ubastet?

Edit: never mind. Swapping the order to

Mountain Crusher
Glaycion
King bloodhammer
Ubastet

Sped things up for me. And Ubastet was useful in the non boss rooms still.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I've been using:

Double Brown
Titan Mountain Crusher
Ketras
Ubastet
Scorpius

Ubastet works just fine against dooms if you pummel them with Ketras first. (I realize this isn't much help to early most players.)

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Bandire posted:

I've been using:

Double Brown
Titan Mountain Crusher
Ketras
Ubastet
Scorpius

Ubastet works just fine against dooms if you pummel them with Ketras first. (I realize this isn't much help to early most players.)

My point was that Ubastet cannot instakill a Doom.

I think the Mountain Crusher, Glaycion, KB, Uastet team May be good for other things even?

In other news, mice been eating destroyed by a flammifer/tatiana/yao guai team in PVP, embarrassingly so against the Divine team I normally use.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

No but if he regular kills doom then the second target is instakilled.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

porktree posted:

Floor 14
Green - Haste
Blue - Unlock

Floor 14
Rare- Haste
Ultra-Rare- Unlock
Epic- Life
Legendary- Armor

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

The last 'chat' update tells me floor 17 is orange for the unlock, I can tell you floor 16's unlock is green.

The chat is crap. I liked it better when we were updating the thread.

I swapped out Jarl for Ubastet, and I think that works better; I did have a loss on 16, but that was an rng thing with the dwarven girl and me not getting any brown matches.

Floor 18:
Blue Luck
Purple Magic
Green Power
Gold Unlock

porktree fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 5, 2018

Thejaff
Jun 14, 2002
Bines au lard

porktree posted:

Floor 15
Green Unlock

Blue is luck

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

New goblin mythic coming up on Friday.

In the Pot:Deal [Magic +4] damage to an enemy, with a chance to Devour them equal to my Attack. Gain an extra turn. [1x]

What could go wrong?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Here's a Gem Boiz tower-so-far compilation from thread + game chat + discord (which I'll try to keep updated):

Floor 1
Rare room: ?
Ultra-rare room: Unlock
Epic room: Armor
Legendary room: ?

Floor 2
Rare room: ?
Ultra-rare room: ?
Epic room: Unlock

Floor 3
Rare room: Attack
Ultra-rare room: Haste
Epic room: Haste
Legendary room: Unlock

Floor 4
Rare room: Life
Legendary room: Armor

Floor 5
Rare room: Unlock
Ultra-rare room: Magic
Epic room: Attack
Legendary room: Life

Floor 6
Rare room: Armor

Floor 7
Ultra-rare room: Luck

Floor 8
Ultra-rare room: Armor

Floor 9
Rare room: Haste

Floor 10
Epic room: Life

Floor 11
Legendary room: Attack

Floor 12
Rare room: Power
Epic room: Luck

Floor 13
Ultra-rare room: Magic

Floor 14
Rare room: Haste
Ultra-Rare room: Unlock

Floor 15
Ultra-Rare room: Luck

Floor 16:
Ultra-rare room: Life

Floor 17
Epic room: "gently caress this room" (Fireball)

Floor 18:
Ultra-rare room: Luck
Epic room: Magic

Floor 19

Floor 20

Floor 21:

Floor 22:
Ultra-rare room: Attack
Epic room: Luck

If someone hasn't done their tower at all yet, seems like filling out the blanks for floors 1 and 2 would be useful in case there's a Luck scroll or something other ppl should get.

onefish fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 6, 2018

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
This is my first tower of doom so not quite sure how it works - I just got the unlock scroll from the rare room of floor 1. Is it different for each guild? (I'm in gem blossums obvs)

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Whoops. Yeah, diff for each guild.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
Floor 15 Epic room is haste

Floor 16 Ultra-Rare room is life

Starting to get one-shot now. Frustrating stuff.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Bandire posted:

New goblin mythic coming up on Friday.

In the Pot:Deal [Magic +4] damage to an enemy, with a chance to Devour them equal to my Attack. Gain an extra turn. [1x]

What could go wrong?

Devour plus extra turn

:getin: my belly

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'm thinking:

A green/purple banner of some flavor
High King Irongut
Giant Spider
Green Seer
Forest Guardian

Might be interesting. Get Giant Spider charged ASAP, loop back and forth, King eats for free, and use Forest Guardian opportunistically to fill the board with skulls and wipe what's left.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

Floor 19
Green Unlock

Floor 20
Green Unlock

porktree fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 5, 2018

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

porktree posted:

Floor 19
Green Unlock

Floor 20
Green Unlock

Floor 20 doom is insane. If you beat it post your team, I came closest with Earth's Fury
Glaycion
King Bloodhammer
Ubastet

I only had the doom left, but a cascade of matches ripped through my team like a hot knife through butter, and I'm now out of Sigils.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
What's the point of these Doom cards?

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Solkanar512 posted:

What's the point of these Doom cards?

They're troops! Each associated with a Kingdom, etc. You can use them in teams, they count toward Kingdom Power requirements, etc. Extras are for Ascension.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

onefish posted:

Here's a Gem Boiz tower-so-far compilation from thread + game chat + discord:

Floor 15
Ultra-Rare room: Luck
Legendary room:Life

Floor 16:

Floor 17
Epic room: gently caress this room

Floor 19

Bandire fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 6, 2018

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Well I dunno if Gem Blossums cares about doom tower but here's what I've got for it

(I'm too feeble to get past the fights on floor 3)

Floor 1
Ultra-Rare room: Haste
Legendary room: Haste

Floor 2
Ultra-Rare room: Unlock
Legendary room: Haste

Floor 3
Ultra-Rare room: ?
Epic room: ?

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 6, 2018

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
How are you guys dealing with the high level Glaycion / freeze rooms? I wasted a bunch of sigils beating my head against the level 17 unlock room.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
What part of it is troubling you? The color brown has some awesome tanks (Gorgotha, Glaycion, or Stonehammer) to absorb skull hits, and it has Sylvanimora who can keep the enemy troops entangled. Diviner can help with clearing off Frozen, but has color overlap with Sylvanimora. Use any Mang-like weapons you have at the high levels since completely stripping an enemy’s armor is huge when they have 200+. I have been using Trickster’s Shot as suggested before:

Gorgotha
Glaycion
Trickster’s Shot (Titan class, but not mission-critical since it doesn’t start up front)
Ubastet

Have not had any problems so far. Ubastet could be swapped for something else without ruining the team.

Edit: my constant worry is rooms with Spirit Foxes and Ancient Golems. If we ever get scrolls of fireball, that’s what I am saving them for.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

onefish posted:

Here's a Gem Boiz tower-so-far compilation from thread + game chat + discord (which I'll try to keep updated):

Floor 17
Epic room: "gently caress this room"

This room is actually a Fireball Scroll. Of loving course the one Fireball Scroll would be hidden behind a Bulette Lair. The only way that could have been better would have been a Heroism Scroll, which are theoretically even rarer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

That's a room I would fireball, so that works out just fine anyway. Glad I skipped it.