Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

"Determined" is a better trait than "Iron Lungs", change my mind
I like Determined on archers and obviously banner bros because they benefit from getting the Confident buff straight away but melee bros usually get Confident pretty early into the fight anyway (and lose it just as quickly).

Anyway, the best trait, of course, is Disloyal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Why is my Battle Brothers constantly downloading tiny updates but I can never find anything the devs post about patches or hotfixes?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I don't know if I got lucky or what but since the patch I've had a run that has mainly bandit missions which means I've been able to develop my equipment pretty well.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

vyelkin posted:

Why is my Battle Brothers constantly downloading tiny updates but I can never find anything the devs post about patches or hotfixes?

i actually came here to post the newest hotfix :v:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/365360/announcements/detail/1692687668321865629

quote:

Another update to address issues that you guys reported.

There's likely to be some balance adjustments over the coming weeks, but we'll wait until everything has settled a bit and people have learned to deal with the new opponents using all the many new tools available.

Changelog for 1.2.0.19
Changed 'A Pact with Witches' contract to be slightly easier.
Changed rewards in 'Big Game Hunt' contract to be a bit higher for bigger beasts.
Fixed training hall effects not lasting for the correct amount of battles.
Fixed two-handed weapons potentially disappearing from bags for a charmed character.
Fixed issue with 'Break Siege' contract.
Fixed 'Hunting Lindwurms' and 'Big Game Hunt' contract sometimes changing their skull rating when opening negotiations.
Fixed characters dying from a hex not showing up in obituary.
Fixed issue with ambitions not triggering.
Fixed various minor issues.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wizard Styles posted:

I like Determined on archers and obviously banner bros because they benefit from getting the Confident buff straight away but melee bros usually get Confident pretty early into the fight anyway (and lose it just as quickly).

Anyway, the best trait, of course, is Disloyal.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the second I get a Hedge Knight with good base stats and stars, I'm going to immediately hack him Huge and Drunk.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
hahaha omg you guys I hired someone with the nickname "the Mountain" but it turned out he was just fat and insecure

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Also I have a guy who started out as fragile and shortsighted and has since died twice and now also has a weakened heart and collapsed lung. He has 30 hit points. I nicknamed him "the decrepit" but he's somehow managed to stay alive. I think if he lives long enough I'll let him retire and be rich for the rest of his shortened days.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Also I have a guy who started out as fragile and shortsighted and has since died twice and now also has a weakened heart and collapsed lung. He has 30 hit points. I nicknamed him "the decrepit" but he's somehow managed to stay alive. I think if he lives long enough I'll let him retire and be rich for the rest of his shortened days.

he's the commander man, you stick him in reserve to oversee things

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

vyelkin posted:

There's special site that's a magic tree that, if you answer it's questions correctly, gives you an enchanted water skin and then disappears. The brother who drinks from the water skin will be restored to perfect health and have all ailments and wounds removed, including permanent ones.

Your mission is to find the tree and waste the water skin on this guy.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 4, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Found a watermill. Old dude in there told me to find a legendary beast, said he didn't know where it was.

Do I have to find another random location on the map for this?

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Broken Cog posted:

Found a watermill. Old dude in there told me to find a legendary beast, said he didn't know where it was.

Do I have to find another random location on the map for this?

Yes.

Look for a stone circle in a swamp and prepare for suffering. The sword at the end of this quest chain is outrageously good though. its a straight-out D&D-style magic weapon

SickZip fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 4, 2018

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

SickZip posted:

There's special site that's a magic tree that, if you answer it's questions correctly, gives you an enchanted water skin and then disappears. The brother who drinks from the water skin will be restored to perfect health and have all ailments and wounds removed, including permanent ones.

Your mission is to find the tree and waste the water skin on this guy.

Wait... that removes permanent wounds? :eyepop: I got one from a different event and used it on a dude who had 3 temporary injuries, when I have a really good soldier with 2 permanent injuries.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

SickZip posted:

Yes.

Look for a stone circle in a swamp and prepare for suffering. The sword at the end of this quest chain is outrageously good though. its a straight-out D&D-style magic weapon

Thanks, guess I'm gonna go have a look after the current crisis is over.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

I have a sneaking suspicion that the second I get a Hedge Knight with good base stats and stars, I'm going to immediately hack him Huge and Drunk.
First Huge bro I've found also has Iron Lungs and two stars in Melee Skill and Defense. Not the best base stats (he'll reach 82 Melee Skill and 27 Defense by level 11) but he'll still be a loving monster.
I'm constantly fighting the temptation of just giving him a two-handed weapon right away. I know the game would kill him out of spite at the earliest opportunity, so I've resisted the urge so far. But I really like the new lower tier two-handed hammers. And I just looted a Berserk Chain.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The new two-handed maces look pretty cool, though they don't have any AoE option.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The new nimble is really strong if you build and equip yourself to maximize it but I can't bring myself to like it:
-Better dodging seems more thematic and fitting then the damage reduction
-The drop off is too strong, it's extremely good with zero armor, marginal with light, and not worth it at all with medium. I wish it was a bit weaker with zero armor and a bit better with the others so there was more of continuum in armor usage rather then the optimal solution being so binary and armor being something you should go all-or-nothing on

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I've got a two-hander bro who I will eventually give a greatsword but I picked up one of the good two-handed flails off a raider and he's using it right now and it is an absolute monster. Still won't compare to the greatsword in the lategame because it lacks AOE, but for the midgame it's amazing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm curious about how some of the other new weapons hold up, like the polehammer. Does the Polearm Mastery perk reduce the cost of its abilities too, or it is less a polearm and more a hammer with 1-2 range?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SickZip posted:

The new nimble is really strong if you build and equip yourself to maximize it but I can't bring myself to like it:
-Better dodging seems more thematic and fitting then the damage reduction
-The drop off is too strong, it's extremely good with zero armor, marginal with light, and not worth it at all with medium. I wish it was a bit weaker with zero armor and a bit better with the others so there was more of continuum in armor usage rather then the optimal solution being so binary and armor being something you should go all-or-nothing on

So if I wanted to make a nimble build bro, what stats and stars would you want to see for it to be worthwhile?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

marshmallow creep posted:

I'm curious about how some of the other new weapons hold up, like the polehammer. Does the Polearm Mastery perk reduce the cost of its abilities too, or it is less a polearm and more a hammer with 1-2 range?

It's categorized as a hammer (spetum is categorized as a spear, like wise) so polearm mastery almost guaranteed doesn't have any effect.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Polearm Mastery doesn't work on the Spetum at least, yeah.

I wish there was an endgame tier Spetum. It's cool and I could see myself trying to build around its attacks but those stats won't hold up.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

I think one reason for new weapons like that is to give you more tactical flexibility so you can better deal with the larger variety of enemy types that are now in the game. For example, it will be easier to deal with lindwurm acid if before fighting them you can swap all your hammer bros over to polehammers, all your axebros over to longaxes, and all your spear bros (if you have any, I usually don't by the late game) over to spetums, and then just fight them from a distance. It also explains why they felt the need to give polearm mastery a buff, because otherwise there's no need for it when you can always just retask a frontline bro to use a polearm version of their specialized weapon if you want more polearms for the next fight.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
The new mace/spear 2h weapon with no reach is great for the early game. Acts like a high damage mace, but gets the 20% hit chance boost of spears. Not great against bandit poachers but wrecks face against other early threats until you're ready for raiders.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

So if I wanted to make a nimble build bro, what stats and stars would you want to see for it to be worthwhile?

I'm still messing around with it and trying stuff out. So far my only firm comments are:
-As much health as possible. I'd say you definitely want over 100 health by level 10.
-It's okay to be a bit weak in Fatigue compared to other builds

I think it might be too strong honestly. Based on my testing, I'm not sure which is tankier, a pure nimble build or a classic heavy armor battleforged build, which is not good for balance since there's so many costs associated with higher armor that a nimble user gets to ignore.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Man it's nice having the option to get a Longsword and be able to use a bro who is already pretty good as a second row guy who can step up and carve through a particular tough group of bandits.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sokani posted:

The new mace/spear 2h weapon with no reach is great for the early game. Acts like a high damage mace, but gets the 20% hit chance boost of spears. Not great against bandit poachers but wrecks face against other early threats until you're ready for raiders.

i had my starting axe bro using that 2h flail thing and tbh it wasn't too bad, stun and stagger are nice passives

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sloober posted:

i had my starting axe bro using that 2h flail thing and tbh it wasn't too bad, stun and stagger are nice passives

This is why I used to usually have an Orc Chain bro in each company, because 'it hits like a truck' and 'it has a chance to stun them if it doesn't kill them' are both good.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

goddamn alps are some motherfuckers.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Ha, I took a contract to take care of a Webknecht nest which was a pretty easy contract although two of my bros had injuries lowering their Fatigue recovery which I definitely felt in that fight.
Afterwards my bros searched the nest and found a Decayed Coat of Scales (240 durability). My best armor so far was 120 durability mail.

e: Then I hired this guy with the reward money.

That was one of the better contracts I took this run.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 4, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone know if the triple flail attack counts for 3 attacks (for fearsome, etc)?

Edit: Also, I got this dude from a spider nest quest, seems you can get some pretty good side rewards from those

I never really hire old soldiers, so it was neat getting one for free.

Edit2: I just noticed he has 3 random traits, heh

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 4, 2018

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Broken Cog posted:

Anyone know if the triple flail attack counts for 3 attacks (for fearsome, etc)?

Edit: Also, I got this dude from a spider nest quest, seems you can get some pretty good side rewards from those

I never really hire old soldiers, so it was neat getting one for free.

It does not, if some random dude I heard talking about it on a stream is right.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

it definitely connects 0-3 times so i would assume so. i'm not really sold on it since it just feels like the damage is lower than a regular flail

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Sloober posted:

it definitely connects 0-3 times so i would assume so. i'm not really sold on it since it just feels like the damage is lower than a regular flail
Yeah, if you can't use them for Fearsome Duelist builds I don't see the point at all.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Count Uvula posted:

Wait... that removes permanent wounds? :eyepop: I got one from a different event and used it on a dude who had 3 temporary injuries, when I have a really good soldier with 2 permanent injuries.

It can even literally heal your Swordmaster of being Old.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 4, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

SickZip posted:

It can even literally heal your Swordmaster of being Old.

wont he just get Old again later

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

wont he just get Old again later

I have no idea

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
that does make me wonder, if a cultist converts a swordsman into another cultist, can they still get Old? Or does Davkul protect?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
XRURUEVWMU

Probably the cleanest map I've ever seen, decent starting bros, lots and lots of forest villages, massive unexplored region.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I did not check what Hex actually does before I shot my first Hexe in the face.

RIP Oskar the Militiaman, you had potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
How do you fine people deal with Hexen without tearing your hair out?