Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Reshade is a very solid and user friendly post processing layer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

So uh what do people think about the inbuilt mod menu from the Special Edition?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's loving bullshit and every time I accidentally click on that instead of the MCM menu I get to look at a login screen for 60 seconds before I can get back to the game.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

The_Frag_Man posted:

If you're basically just running a vanilla playthrough, it's fine. You don't need to really do any sorting, so for as little as you would have to sort, it's fine. But once you have more than like 10 esps forget it exists.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

The_Frag_Man posted:

Hey guys, I am setting up a Skyrim install to play for the first time. I have read through the OP and some other materials.

I'm wondering if I should use the special edition or the legendary edition, and also if the special edition needs ENBoost or not? I was planning to get most of the mods I want from the steam workshop (SKSE, SkyUI, USLEEP, etc) and use LOOT to set up the load order. Does that sound about right?

more mods for the old version. better performance for the new one

also something about how SE's skse has to be updated everytime bethesda adds poo poo to their paid modding thing, not sure if thats true though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The_Frag_Man posted:

I loaded up with like 30 mods and played without any issues, it's fine.

I mean it's not elegant and if you have problems it will probably be super annoying, but in my experience it was fine.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Is there a dedicated thread made for Oblivion modding? Very soon finished with Morrowind and SSE modding and I just kind of want all three to be in perfect condition before I start anything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Why would you play Oblivion?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Skwirl posted:

I have a confession to make, I have not even set foot into Shivering Isles.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood questlines are excellent.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
There's close to nothing in Oblivion that's not better in either Skyrim or Morrowind (or both).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Midig posted:

I have a confession to make, I have not even set foot into Shivering Isles.

This is the only reason to play Oblivion wtf is wrong with you???

EDIT
Or was, I have a feeling that Oblivion has got to be the jankiest drat game in the world looking at it through 2018 eyes.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

There's close to nothing in Oblivion that's not better in either Skyrim or Morrowind (or both).

The ragdoll physics were not as amusing in Morrowind.

FACT.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

ProfessorCirno posted:

Better than Morrowind: Movement, archery, most quests, lockpicking.

Better than Skyrim: Magic, DB, fighters guild, mages guild, thieves guild.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

So speaking of Oblivion, what's the most brainlessly simple way to mod it in TYOOL 2018? I feel like every time I reinstall it I end up futzing with a half dozen texture replacers and Darnified UI only to have textures break and Darn... just not work. Is there a bundled mod pack with an installer or something that I can just double click (and hopefully only install a few viruses)?

I'd like to revisit the game because I haven't played it more than 2 or 3 hours at a time since 2006 when I first beat the main quest, so it's basically a completely new game to me again. But I don't have the patience to jump back to how modding worked 12 years ago.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Luckily, you can use MO2 now and occasionally OBMM and WB from time to time. So you can fix fuckups with textures easier, but in return, you gotta have workarounds and have a little more restraint with some mods. I wish I could say Oblivion Reloaded was Gods gift to Oblivion modders, but info on it is mostly inaccessible outside of its forums and many of its features are buggy so you should probably turn them off.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Skwirl posted:

its better than skyrim

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
I expected illusion to be super gimmicky and bland after a while but seriously, this is so much fun. You have so many options ever single fight, calm/fear/fury spells, invisibility, activates, etc...

It's just clusterfuck of laughter. Thanks for the recommendation. This is genuinely what I had been missing from this game.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

One thing, why use fear when calm and fury is better for every occasion?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I guess you could fear people and try to aim them into traps.

Or if you're like me you just play completely sub optimally and weird to try to make weird character builds work.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I am working on a mod to make the illusion tree a bit more interesting, starting with perks. Such as perks which makes targets of fear take and deal more damage. Also, enemies under fear might take some form of damage (mental/psychic damage) until they are brought out of it.

I also though most novice spells should be cast as a cone and only work for as long as you apply it, making it a bit more difficult early game. Perhaps some perks to lower your threat level when you target them with the spell so that enemies ignore you more and more when you cast fury.

Midig fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 5, 2018

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

There's absolutely no need to try to handicap low-level illusion poo poo unless you also make it work a wider variety of targets, IMO

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I think the one exception I found in my mods was Pale Shadow in Apocalypse, as it was a fickle and fragile 'damage' spell. I'm not sure if invisibility works against those special enemies (undead, daedra and automatons) until you have the perk. Muffle seems like it works, but I don't remember ever testing invisibility or invis potions.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Clark Nova posted:

There's absolutely no need to try to handicap low-level illusion poo poo unless you also make it work a wider variety of targets, IMO

The way it is now now it works or it doesn't based on level or enemy type. With mine, it will for enemies that are eligible BUT you will have to keep the cone on the enemy and find a way to not be the first target. Meaning you might have to cast it while stealthed. I thought I might also increase the mana cost of illusion by a lot. However, making it work on undead or machines would be silly.

Midig fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 5, 2018

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Playing the Clockwork mod but the Gilded enemies are invisible, are they supposed to be?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Depends posted:

Playing the Clockwork mod but the Gilded enemies are invisible, are they supposed to be?

Nope. Something broke

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Newbie modding question -

I'm trying to patch together some stuff to make some mods work together more friendly. Basically I need to add entries from multiple mods (hunterborn, realistic needs) to another mod's (simply tame) existing formlist.

My idea is to create a patch.esp, add hunterborn and realistic needs as dependencies (using SEedit), create a duplicate formlist in my file, and add all the entries from the other two mods. Load the patch after all the other ones. To me that seems logical, but it doesn't quite seem to be working for me. I think my problem is just getting all the item IDs sorted and using the right ones, but I might be way off the mark.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Newbie modding question -

I'm trying to patch together some stuff to make some mods work together more friendly. Basically I need to add entries from multiple mods (hunterborn, realistic needs) to another mod's (simply tame) existing formlist.

My idea is to create a patch.esp, add hunterborn and realistic needs as dependencies (using SEedit), create a duplicate formlist in my file, and add all the entries from the other two mods. Load the patch after all the other ones. To me that seems logical, but it doesn't quite seem to be working for me. I think my problem is just getting all the item IDs sorted and using the right ones, but I might be way off the mark.

Start up SEdit and load all the necessary plugins.
Go to your existing formlist and copy-as-override to a new patch plugin.
xEdit can be finicky about adding a mod as a master. The most reliable method in my experience is to grab any random record from the mod you want to as a master and copy-as-override to your plugin. Do this with Hunterborn, Realistic Needs, etc, and just delete the copied record you from your patch plugin.
No add all the entries to the formlist in your patch plugin.
Once you're done, save the plugin and put it below any mod the patch has as a master in your loadorder.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Seems like Trainwiz's CC dungeon is out. 1200 BethBux, so about $15.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

God help me, Im probably going to spend actual money on this. I'll do a trip report when I do.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

Cat Mattress posted:

TBF, he's one of the few modders whose content is actually good enough to retail. That seems a bit much though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Raygereio posted:

Start up SEdit and load all the necessary plugins.
Go to your existing formlist and copy-as-override to a new patch plugin.
xEdit can be finicky about adding a mod as a master. The most reliable method in my experience is to grab any random record from the mod you want to as a master and copy-as-override to your plugin. Do this with Hunterborn, Realistic Needs, etc, and just delete the copied record you from your patch plugin.
No add all the entries to the formlist in your patch plugin.
Once you're done, save the plugin and put it below any mod the patch has as a master in your loadorder.

Thanks. This pretty much set me on the right direction.

I couldn't find a way to add the entries (I could only edit existing ones) to the formlist in xEdit, so I had to use the creation kit. After saving, the creation kit removed all the esp masters, so I had to go back into xEdit to readd them. This messed up all the formlist entries since it didn't know what master to find them in, so I had to manually fix each one.

Anyways, it's working now.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Skyrim Modding: Anyways, It's Working Now

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

TBF, he's one of the few modders whose content is actually good enough to retail. That seems a bit much though.

I enjoy them, and their concepts especially. But boy howdy are they filled with dead space and buggy terrain along with the usual stilted character interactions (though admittedly that's a Bethesda problem too). I think they're easily recommendable for free, but I would be upset with myself if I spent two dollars or more on any of them.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

docbeard posted:

Skyrim Modding: I Did Nothing To Fix It But It Works Now

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

My Skyrim is working now, had an issue with MO so all plugins in my profile were unticked, had to order it all again. Wish I had constant 60 fps, but I think my grass mod is in the way.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

What do you guys think about the Cathedral Project?

Weapons and armor:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/20199?tab=files

Snowflake mod:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/21559

Water mod:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/21568

Lighting mod:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/16830

Grass overhaul coming as well. To me, they seem to improve upon textures in a minimalistic way, but seem to cover a lot of areas. Maybe not a huge deal atm, but this is what I want modding to be. It will be placed into one big mod very soon I believe.

Midig fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 10, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Midig posted:

What do you guys think about the Cathedral Project?

Weapons and armor:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/20199?tab=files

Snowflake mod:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/21559

Water mod:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/21568

Lighting mod:
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/16830

Grass overhaul coming as well. To me, they seem to improve upon textures in a minimalistic way, but seem to cover a lot of areas. Maybe not a huge deal atm, but this is what I want modding to be. It will be placed into one big mod very soon I believe.

It's a shame that modpacks both aren't accepted and that Skyrim isn't really conducive to it because doing it that way would be rad as hell

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

This is the closest we can get to it so if you want to make mods or give your opinion now is the time. https://discord.gg/b9bVMJ

Personally, I am going to fix that god drat leather helmet. It is ugly as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

loving hell /r/Skyrimmods, I though you were cool...

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/a706ko/mod_discussion_mondays_week_69_best_sex_mods/

One of the mods suggested. https://www.loverslab.com/topic/19941-sexlab-defeat/

"The player can set a chance for the player to be knocked out instead of knocked down, if knocked out, the player won’t be able to resist the first sexual assault and the follower will automatically be knocked down.
Has the priority over knocked down and Auto Resist."

Did they have to do this just to get in a 69 sex joke.

Midig fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 17, 2018