Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
not as good as the time lyft bragged that one of their drivers went into labor and continued to drive instead of going to the hospital

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

infernal machines posted:

it'd be too on the nose, like all the people who get mad at silicon valley for being unbelievable

i get mad at silicon valley because it's too believable

i had to stop watching it after like 3 episodes because it pissed me off because i know this poo poo is really happening

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

i can't see it becoming anything but this. fortnite and a handful of other games.

shits getting as balkanized as video streaming is now, lol

the increased cut to developers is good, but gamers don't give a flying gently caress about that. they do care about their skinner-box crap like achievements, trading cards, gamer scores, hats and whatever else they virtually collect

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

i had to stop watching it after like 3 episodes because it pissed me off because i know this poo poo is really happening

keep in mind that there's stuff that the writers saw in real life but refused to put in the show because it would too implausible

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

haveblue posted:

keep in mind that there's stuff that the writers saw in real life but refused to put in the show because it would too implausible

oh that's my favorite story, i think i can recite it word for word

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it'd be too on the nose, like all the people who get mad at silicon valley for being unbelievable

i prefer the people that watch silicon valley and say "wow they really had to tone things down for tv"

second to the astro teller anecdote my favorite silicon valley thing is that people complained that there weren't any women in the B roll they showed for techcrunch disrupt in season 1. the B roll was actual video of that year's techcrunch disrupt.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my favorite bit is this one: https://www.businessinsider.com/hbos-silicon-valley-had-diversity-problems-at-techcrunch-disrupt-2016-3

quote:

Much criticism has been levied at the HBO comedy "Silicon Valley" for its lack of diversity. All of its main characters, save one, in the first season were white men.

[...]

It wasn't just a casting decision. Even shooting scenes in real-world Silicon Valley became a problem for the team.

The crew went to TechCrunch Disrupt, a startup competition also featured in the show, to film footage of the crowd, Berg explained.

During the review process once the footage was woven in, another editor criticized the crowd shots for not featuring any women and blamed Berg for the oversight.

"She said those crowd shots were absurd," Berg told the crowd at SXSW. "Those were real shots of the real place, and we didn't frame women out. The world we're depicting is f---ed up."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

me too. i don't even work in the tech industry per se and i still know every character on the show in real life. i really enjoy the show but at the same time it's just kind of brutally real

like my stepmom who can't watch curb your enthusiasm bc she was once one of those wealthy los angeles housewives and is just like "yes, this is exactly how the people i knew acted, they're all horrible"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
i have friends that are always like 'omg you have to watch it it's so funny' and i always respond that watching that show makes me go look at blueprints for guillotines

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

W1A is another great one in the same vein

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Captain Foo posted:

sorry to bother you was a p good movie
yeah it’s yospos as hell and everyone should watch it. one of the better movies I’ve seen in recent years

I’m probably olde man yells at clouds and maybe not the demographic anymore, but I’ve been thoroughly unimpressed with movies over the past 2 years. idk if everything is really just a wasteland or what. But Sorry to Bother You was a real welcome good movie for once. before that the only movie I really liked was Blade Runner 2049.

tv on the other hand is still amazing like The Expanse and Better Call Saul, and I even like poo poo like west world, mr robot, stranger things, altered carbon and so on.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is this a parody account or are they seriously advertising "we give our delivery workers so little time they have to run all day so they lose weight" as a positive?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mystes posted:

Is this a parody account or are they seriously advertising "we give our delivery workers so little time they have to run all day so they lose weight" as a positive?

no, amazon honestly believes their corporate dystopia is a positive thing and regularly has employees post about how they're actually allowed to go to the bathroom on company time, etc.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I hope we get an update after she loses another 100 pounds.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
corporations love self-sacrificing shows of loyalty but they always leave out the part about how the person felt forced into it to begin with

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

no, amazon honestly believes their corporate dystopia is a positive thing and regularly has employees post about how they're actually allowed to go to the bathroom on company time, etc.
those spun-up twitter accounts from totally real amazon warehouse workers talking up their wonderful jobs included bragging on such workplace features as "well lit!"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

i have friends that are always like 'omg you have to watch it it's so funny' and i always respond that watching that show makes me go look at blueprints for guillotines

you... say that like it's a bad thing?

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
well I mean literally living in a shed is still nicer than living in a tent I guess

didn't someone in this thread mention a chunk of sites like hipcamp is basically just tenant camping?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

well, at least it has a toilet

i assume that's a toilet back there. maybe it's a shower stall with an open drain, which is even better, tbh

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

i assume that's a toilet back there. maybe it's a shower stall with an open drain, which is even better, tbh

definitely a toilet, "bathroom shared with the main house"

good thing climate change will eliminate winter soon

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

bezos makes a billion
I make ten bucks
that’s why I poo poo
from a moving delivery truck

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

definitely a toilet, "bathroom shared with the main house"

good thing climate change will eliminate winter soon

the bay area doesn't have weather other than "on fire" or "not on fire"

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i don't know we're moving to "on fire" full time

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

i assume that's a toilet back there

nope

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
kind of a stretch to call the chaparral regions the bay area but sure whatever that smoke was nasty

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHjaehH-EtA

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
green is starting to show up again since its started raining again and they've moved the cattle back into a lot of grazing areas after a long departure

these two events are kind of annoying because they're going to completely wreck the trails; all that heat and dry bake them into a perfect candidate to be a sloppy saturated mess when it rains even a little

its like a trench or no-mans-land in WW1

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

kind of a stretch to call the chaparral regions the bay area but sure whatever that smoke was nasty

"covered in smoke from fire" or "not covered in smoke from fire" doesn't have the same ring to it

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
https://twitter.com/nickabouzeid/status/1070036774871650304?s=21

who is gonna be the first one here to do this?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
bird: the new cuecat

now they just need to threaten to sue all these people and then run out of money when it turns out their original business model was unsustainable

in similar news, get hosed uber and to a lesser extent lyft

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Xaris posted:

yeah it’s yospos as hell and everyone should watch it. one of the better movies I’ve seen in recent years

I’m probably olde man yells at clouds and maybe not the demographic anymore, but I’ve been thoroughly unimpressed with movies over the past 2 years. idk if everything is really just a wasteland or what. But Sorry to Bother You was a real welcome good movie for once. before that the only movie I really liked was Blade Runner 2049.

tv on the other hand is still amazing like The Expanse and Better Call Saul, and I even like poo poo like west world, mr robot, stranger things, altered carbon and so on.

there are a lot of good movies in 2018 but it depends on what you are into. not everyone is into wes anderson stop motion films. iisle of dogs with dystopian japan was great. bodied was pretty funny. not as polished as sorry to bother you. blackkklansmen is surprisingly good. overlord was another one I enjoyed more than expected. the superhero movies were all pretty good, deadpool 2, black panther, avengers ant man.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

NoneMoreNegative posted:

bezos makes a billion
I make ten bucks
that’s why I poo poo
from a moving delivery truck

whats the praxis for dealing with a nearby amazon warehouse

mystes
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

bird: the new cuecat
There's a bit of a difference between giving someone a device and temporarily renting a device out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mystes posted:

There's a bit of a difference between giving someone a device and temporarily renting a device out.

no law against collecting litter yourself

maybe there would be if they had coordinated with the local authorities, but that slows down innovation

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Xaris posted:

blackkklansman is great on the same level as sorry to bother you

get out, baby driver, american made, shape of water, logan lucky were all really good and that was last year

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i don't even want to be on the same block downtown as a theater that has a single showing of a movie called "blackkklansman"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

aardvaard posted:

blackkklansman is great on the same level as sorry to bother you

i thought i heard it was actually bad because it was too sympathetic to the police

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

They should do that, but also require them to have medallions. And issue no new medallions outside of standard process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i don't even want to be on the same block downtown as a theater that has a single showing of a movie called "blackkklansman"

?? not a big fan of black people or what? it's a spike lee movie. what are you protesting exactly?