Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
That makes sense. It seems like the surprise factor isn’t as big in Thrones because the scale is smaller and the troops replenish so slowly.

Warhammer, I’ve struggled a lot. Might should keep some money around then. But actually now that I feel like I’m getting the hang of battles more that will also be a boon.

The main thing I’m struggling with now is the guard button. I keep having units chase and never catch units they cause to flee, which can put me in bad positions. Setting guard stops that, but then I have to manually tell them to attack everything. Might just have to get used to that and I like liberally using pause anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Use guard mode on ranged units and those fighting on your flanks or rearguard against single enemy units. Units fighting on the frontline will normally end up chasing the stragglers into another enemy unit and start fighting that one instead of the one they were pursuing, unless the frontline is really spread out or something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Warhammer is great for spending all your money each turn because you can make good money defeating enemy armies either on offense or defense. So if you blow your treasury upgrading several buildings at once and the enemy attacks you, you can recoup your financial penalty with a good sally.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Both Total War: Three Kingdoms' second diplomacy devblog/video and the next playable faction leader reveal of Yuan Shao released yesterday.

Diplomatic highlights:
  • Coalitions and military alliances exist as blocs which can be sorted within the diplomatic faction list instead of informally-via-individual-treaties, with voting on major actions "such as taking it as a whole to war with another alliance, or inviting another faction to join for example" and attitudes between members depending on the outcome, plus members' territories count as friendly for the purposes of gathering military supplies and campaign line-of-sight.
  • Coalitions need only "moderate" diplomatic standing with another faction to form and members gain diplomatic standing with one another over time (while lowering the diplomatic standing of factions at war with members thereof) but don't have a mutual-aid requirement, so factions can declare war on individual member factions instead of the whole coalition
  • Military alliances need more diplomatic standing than coalitions and at least a faction rank of Marquis to form -- unless formed by Yuan Shao or Yuan Shu -- but once formed factions of any rank may be invited in or request entry and then be voted on, and in addition to said aforementioned diplomatic standing a member targeted by a war declaration can call on the whole alliance members to join in
Yuan Shao highlights:
  • Starts in the vicinity of Wei commandery with Yan Liang and Wen Chou on his roster, and a rivalry with Yuan Shu due to disputed lineage
  • Can recruit retinues led by a captain instead of a general, and as long as he leads the faction such captain retinues cost 50% less to recruit and upkeep
  • Has a Lineage meter (0-100) which accumulates when he's in alliances/coalitions or leads armies in the field, degrades over time, and can be expended for actions like recruiting characters or the Secure settlement-occupation option ("Increased replenishment and military supply gain after successful occupation"); the current Lineage amount provides a bonus to replenishment and lower recruitment cost for captain retinues
  • Is one of the only two warlords who can form military alliances from the start of the campaign while below Marquis
  • Has a faction initial dilemma of either improving diplomatic standing with Gongsun Zan by aiding his attack against Han Fu, or lowering it by confederating Han Fu's faction

Chortles fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 2, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
drat the campaign map is gorgeous

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They're portraying Yuan Shao as much, much younger than he was in either history or the book. Yuan Shao died of old age like 11 years into the Three Kingdoms conflict.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

His art in the Liu Biao blog post looked older, maybe it changes over time? Yuan Shao is pretty vibrant in the early parts of the Romance, his decline seemed to happen pretty quickly.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

all the new diplomatic stuff they've been showing is great, i just hope the ai can handle it. also in my experience the 'make this work' option always takes forever in the previous titles, and while it seems plenty speedy in the video i hope its as fast when we actually get to play it

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have got to say folks I am stoked for Three Kingdoms Total War and I am glad that this setting is finally making its way into a mass market Western product.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Arglebargle III posted:

They're portraying Yuan Shao as much, much younger than he was in either history or the book. Yuan Shao died of old age like 11 years into the Three Kingdoms conflict.

I mean he did but this is olden times so "Old Age" is 48.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

I got the original Shogun: Total War in the last steam sale for like $2.50 or something and this game still owns after all these years. I played it years ago but forgot so much about it. I started a game as the Mori (the red dudes) and most of the other clans were wiped out pretty quickly and I've taken over half of Japan. Now it's down to just me and the Uesugi (the blue dudes) and Japan is split literally right down the middle. So it's now an east vs west, red vs blue standoff right in the center of Japan.

I forgot how simple the campaign map is, but it works well and is pretty fast-paced. The old TW games were much more focused on the battles than the newer ones. The battles are the real game and the campaign is just a way to string the battles together in a meaningful way, while in the newer TW games it feels like the opposite -- the campaign modes are the real game and the battles are just a distraction with pretty graphics.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Btw, on Twitter the official Total War account tweeted out Yuan Shao's abilities poster which includes both Stone Bulwark and Unyielding Earth like Sun Quan and Liu Biao but instead of Nature's Ally, he instead has Distant Courage with which "Yuan Shao directs and empowers his forces from a... safer distance."

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
So I bought warhammer total war a few ...years? Back. Is it playable without any expansions?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Yeah, the default Total Warhammer factions and leaders are plenty of fun.

I've been on an Attila kick lately, I think I'm actually starting to get the hang of things. Bit easy though, playing as the Sassanids and I lucked out by wiping out the White Huns early on. Still, getting rich and building cities is oddly satisfying.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Nuclear War posted:

So I bought warhammer total war a few ...years? Back. Is it playable without any expansions?

Yes, and if you enjoy it consider picking up the dlc factions that look interesting to you, and/or the second game in the series if you've only got the first (they combine into one game with bigger map/more factions)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I sort of expect the new diplomacy stuff to be somewhat abusable, but I guess that's okay so long as the AI isn't annoying with it.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
I'm happy to report that over the weekend playing Thrones the battles really starting clicking for me finally. I was playing by just immediately charging everything I had at the enemy, but now I'm lining up, trading archer shots, and holding my cavalry back unless there are good shots for them.

An even match-up with two armies facing off while arrows are traded is so much more intense than I would have imagined. I have a lot less problems with chasing units running off after everything now too since I'm trying to maintain lines.

Can't wait to take my newly-clicked brain to the other TW games I currently have (Warhammer 1/2 and that Rome deluxe edition they put out recently)

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Creative Assembly posted:

What kind of player is Yuan Shao for?

The kind of player that likes cao cao to beat their rear end like a drum lmao

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Obligatory:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tJfCcLjahg

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

-Dethstryk- posted:

Can't wait to take my newly-clicked brain to the other TW games I currently have (Warhammer 1/2 and that Rome deluxe edition they put out recently)

I completely understand what you're saying. Its really satisfying when you look at the game beyond "KINFE FIGHT NOW" especially in the Warhammer universe where you have so many options.

I am hoping 3K will be a fun blend of history and fantasy

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

The Duggler posted:

I completely understand what you're saying. Its really satisfying when you look at the game beyond "KINFE FIGHT NOW" especially in the Warhammer universe where you have so many options.

I am hoping 3K will be a fun blend of history and fantasy

I think starting with the Warhammer games messed me up a bit, because there is a big variety of units. Thrones being scaled down and human-on-human let me get the basics down easier and I can't wait to go gently caress up some orcs now.

I'm also pumped as hell for Three Kingdoms. I'm starting to understand the Total War series and the game is in one of my favorite settings with an emphasis on the stuff I love in these games. Hope it doesn't end up delayed from the March release!

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Nuclear War posted:

Yes. There’s a lot of free DLC, including an entire faction, so make sure to download that too.

Warhammer 1 is a ton of fun.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Cao Cao was very, very lucky. The big attack on Wuchao was not only a desperate act, it was almost a complete failure-he led the attack himself, but the defenders held on. Cao Cao turned the desperation of the situation in a final effort that won the day. He was being overrun beforehand.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

-Dethstryk- posted:

I think starting with the Warhammer games messed me up a bit, because there is a big variety of units. Thrones being scaled down and human-on-human let me get the basics down easier and I can't wait to go gently caress up some orcs now.

I'm also pumped as hell for Three Kingdoms. I'm starting to understand the Total War series and the game is in one of my favorite settings with an emphasis on the stuff I love in these games. Hope it doesn't end up delayed from the March release!
I don't know how many Total War: Three Kingdoms videos you've watched so far but there's seemingly a bunch of gameplay variety despite human-on-human, both campaign-level (some of the playable warlords get a 'meter with faction-specific means of filling/spending/bonuses based on current amount' mechanic, others get unique building) and tactical (example: one heavy spear infantry unit with a 'spears in front, the rear rows pull out bows' Mixed Missile static formation and both standard and fire arrows [more base damage, less against armor, slower to reload, but can cause both buildings and vegetation to catch fire and can deplete Morale], while a different one gets both Hollowed Square and Spear Wall formations). How are you liking the retinue system for armies?

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
I think now that I am starting to get the basics down, the variety is less of a factor. Hard to understand all the stuff added to the mix if you don't have a foundation.

Retinues sound great. I've ate up about every piece of media they've put out on it.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Did I miss someone else posting this?

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-three-kingdoms-warlord-legends-zheng-jiang

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Anarcho-feminist revolutionary with a Fightiness gauge? Well I know who I’m playing first time.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

She also got her own intro movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cg2nSAfeUY

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Anarcho-feminist revolutionary with a Fightiness gauge? Well I know who I’m playing first time.

Liu Bei?? Same. Benevolence.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Agreed, weird choice for the Bandit Faction though.

From what quick searching I've done, she's basically a footnote in RotTK.

Also her in-game quest has her being subservient to Zhang Yan, who I would have pegged for being playable with the Black Mountain Bandits. Historically and fictionally, he's the period's most infamous bandit lord who basically established his own rogue state.

Edit: Also here's a list of the playable Warlords we've got confirmed out of the mentioned possible 11:

Cao Cao
Sun Jian
Liu Bei
Liu Biao
Yuan Shao
Ma Teng
Zheng Jiang
He Yi

Assuming Dong Zhuo is playable, got two more remaining.

Taking a guess, I'd say Liu Zhang and probably Zhang Lu. Maybe Gongsun Zan or Yuan Shu but think they're somewhat confirmed unplayable.

I'd hope for the Nanman but they might be saved for DLC.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 4, 2018

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Blooming Brilliant posted:

From what quick searching I've done, she's basically a footnote in RotTK.
She appears in the historical record on which Classic Mode is based; CA's Grace Carroll said that they believe that "Zheng Jiang" was two different women, but they gave the name to one and named the other Lu Zheng.

Also her in-game quest has her being subservient to Zhang Yan, who I would have pegged for being playable with the Black Mountain Bandits. Historically and fictionally, he's the period's most infamous bandit lord who basically established his own rogue state.
Zhang Yan is playable and starts in Yanmen commandery, while He Yi is from the Yellow Turban Rebellion DLC.

Taking a guess, I'd say Liu Zhang and probably Zhang Lu. Maybe Gongsun Zan or Yuan Shu but think they're somewhat confirmed unplayable.
People have been saying the latter two based on them having square flags along with Dong Zhuo and for some reason Kong Rong (who also got titled "Mercantile Master").

In other important news, "You can have Mandarin VO with English text".

Chortles fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 5, 2018

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Oh that's neat then. Also glad Zhang Yan made the cut.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wish we got cool intros like that for every one of these warlord blogs.

Anyways, character seems cool even if she's incredibly obscure. Reminds me of the great pirate queen Ching Shih, except a millenia early.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Holy poo poo who is this lady, she's loving badass

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Holy poo poo who is this lady, she's loving badass

If I recall correctly she was so badass she was deified in the same way Guan "hard motherfucker" Yu was

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh no she wasn't, she's given basically a sentence in the actual histories. Half the Chinese commentators online had no idea who she is.

It's cool to dig a little deeper and give us someone unique though.

e: Game is pretty

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 4, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Zheng Jiang looks like a pretty good beginner pick, really. Nice safe position, not much diplomacy to worry about, should be decently fighty in combat.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Liu Bei?? Same. Benevolence.
His gauge is Unity, which appears to be based on his characters' satisfaction level and can mean "with faster progression through the faction ranks and better government capabilities, such as fielding extra armies and assigning more governors" (I don't know if this is describing the regular faction ranks benefits or on top of them) and by spending Unity "he can claim territory under the control of the Han Empire without a fight."

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Fangz posted:

Zheng Jiang looks like a pretty good beginner pick, really. Nice safe position, not much diplomacy to worry about, should be decently fighty in combat.

It'll depend on the troops selection. I mean, there's obviously going to be some shared troops, possibly many. But I imagine each leader will bring some unique troops beyond themselves. Will lighter bandit troops be a plus or a minus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
I'm happy to report my first victory in a Total War game! Earlier today I got the "short conquest victory" in Thrones as West Seaxe. It's just the easy mode start, but I'm thrilled to get a win. I'm going to end this campaign to keep the high note and go to one of the other TW games now and see how I do.

Also I need to play as this bandit queen in Three Kingdoms right now, please