Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lycus posted:

What the gently caress? Wasn't there news of a deal after Argentina to everyone's delight? President Pissbaby overturned the table.

No this is the grand strategy! Make a new deal, then pull it away for no reason at the last second and make it so everyone will never deal with you again!

Of course you stupid libs wouldn't understand Daddy Trump's genius :smugissar:

(Dies when his soybean crop rots and he becomes destitute)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Mendrian posted:

I mean I get this but it's way too pragmatist for my taste. If a president commits crimes, they should be removed, esp crimes of this magnitude. Setting the message, "you should only be removed if it's good for us in the long term" is pretty loving ghoulish if you consider how much damage this hypothetical president could do while the Dems sit on their hands giggling.

Agreed - that post was by way of saying that I'm not sure a resounding electoral pounding would actually do what that guy thinks.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I don’t think I’ve read a single news story about Obama since Trump’s inauguration that hasn’t felt like a kick in the dick, and that is still true.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Merry Christmas

https://mobile.twitter.com/starsandstripes/status/1070085886199693312

https://mobile.twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1069237523455590401

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

In ten years it’ll be politically infeasible from all corners to “demilitarize” the border and people will pretend it was always there.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

No this is the grand strategy! Make a new deal, then pull it away for no reason at the last second and make it so everyone will never deal with you again!

tbf this might actually be the strategy, trump is a malignant narcissist so his "deals" are competitions that he has to "win"

if you actually get some kind of compromise out of him then he didn't "win" so it doesn't count

this is also why he sues people instead of paying them even though paying them would cost way less

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Rudy doesnt understand how the internet works, or spacebars.

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1070121656385908736?s=19

Cant you just edit the tweet?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

TulliusCicero posted:

Of course you stupid libs wouldn't understand Daddy Trump's genius :smugissar:

(Dies when his soybean crop rots and he becomes destitute)

Isn't this basically part of his lovely "Art of the Deal" tactics?
Except he's used to dealing with people who don't have the option of just walking away forever.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

cr0y posted:

No, you can't edit tweets.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

lol Jesus Christ they're gonna invade Mexico by the end of his term.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

cr0y posted:

Man if you can edit tweets I feel stupid as hell

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

cr0y posted:

Yeah you can

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Imagine having this kind of contempt for an audience you've worked so tirelessly to cultivate.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This is absolute stupidity

Waste of money and just promotes his dumbass ideology

On the plus side, troops are probably less likely to shoot immigrants than border patrol crazy fucks, so :shrug:

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
You can however delete them and retweet them without the error, which is what any person with even a handful of brain cells would've done.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
When you remember that Trump started a trade war just for his own ego, you have to laugh at someone sabotaging themselves that hard. The Trump presidency is the presidency of self-sabotage.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

selec posted:

I don’t think I’ve read a single news story about Obama since Trump’s inauguration that hasn’t felt like a kick in the dick, and that is still true.

i mean if he said the right progressive/left leaning stuff too, Beto has a good shot. Clinton was just a rotten candidate who came at the worst possible time.

Lycus posted:

What the gently caress? Wasn't there news of a deal after Argentina to everyone's delight? President Pissbaby overturned the table.

nah. it sounds like xi whispered some nothings in his ear and made some vague suggestions and possibilities. trump assumed that would be the deal.

i love that we have to keep troops on the border to sooth our moron presidents ego.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

TulliusCicero posted:

This is absolute stupidity

Waste of money and just promotes his dumbass ideology

On the plus side, troops are probably less likely to shoot immigrants than border patrol crazy fucks, so :shrug:

I agree, and troops are actually used to have things called "rules of engagement" and are trained, at least somewhat, about "escalation of force" and poo poo. ROE in Iraq were more restrictive than what cops here seem to follow, and I don't know how the border patrol is but I don't envision them being great at it.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Peacoffee posted:

In ten years it’ll be politically infeasible from all corners to “demilitarize” the border and people will pretend it was always there.

Informed source, taxated:

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Jaxyon posted:

LOL at you kids who's first flash drive had 3 digits in it's size.

I'm pretty sure I still have the 16MB usb stick that cost about 45 pounds but which luckily I just borrowed indefinitely from a family friend.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

ZypherIM posted:

I agree, and troops are actually used to have things called "rules of engagement" and are trained, at least somewhat, about "escalation of force" and poo poo. ROE in Iraq were more restrictive than what cops here seem to follow, and I don't know how the border patrol is but I don't envision them being great at it.

Being that the Border Patrol thought that tear gasing children on the other side of a sovereign country's border was A-Okay, I would say they are pretty poo poo at it.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

TulliusCicero posted:

Or kidnap and rape them, or steal their information, or or or or. Honestly this might work out better for immigrants because at least SOME accountability and/or background check exists for the authority figures they have to interact with.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Lycus posted:

As I understood it there was no deal - trump was just lying after talking with China. Kudlow was scrambling to figure out what the gently caress he was talking about.

He didn't agree to something and then walk away to try and get more. He made something up then tried to use the media's reporting of it to force China to agree to the bullshit he made up, presumably while forgetting that China has its own state media that definitely did not run the story of trump the great trade hero.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/12/trumps-incredible-deal-with-china-is-a-classic-trump-scam

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

TulliusCicero posted:

Being that the Border Patrol thought that tear gasing children on the other side of a sovereign country's border was A-Okay, I would say they are pretty poo poo at it.

I'd also rather have troops there then the 3%er militias just openly looking for migrants to kill, if I had to choose.

(it's all bad)

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

There will also be troops who are sympathetic. No one joins the army expecting to be stationed on our own border to keep the browns out. You join border patrol to do that.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I wonder if one of the Mueller team had the court filling in the back of his car and forgot about it, and now he's home and watching Netflix or something with his phone on silent and Mueller's just blowing it up. That's how I'd like to envision it, anyway.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1070127935355568138

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Arrgytehpirate posted:

There will also be troops who are sympathetic. No one joins the army expecting to be stationed on our own border to keep the browns out. You join border patrol to do that.

This isn't going to matter much, the entire premise of the military is using aggressive conditioning and social pressure to sand the edges off your willingness to resist or subvert authority. If ordered to shoot or brutalize, the soldiers will do it, and no amount of complaining in the mess hall or subsequent PTSD will undo the damage to those harmed.

Much like the police, it matters little if individual officers are racist or not racist, because it's the institution that drives the problems. In this context, Trump militarizing the border in this way represents a huge escalation and would be an act of war if the difference in power between the United States and Mexico wasn't so lopsided in our favor.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

InsertPotPun posted:

Or kidnap and rape them, or steal their information, or or or or. Honestly this might work out better for immigrants because at least SOME accountability and/or background check exists for the authority figures they have to interact with.

the troops are generally not interacting with the immigrants (except maybe the medical folks)

they're doing construction and logistics stuff mostly

because Mattis isn't a moron and our dumb baby president doesn't know anything about anything

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Arrgytehpirate posted:

There are tons of reasons people join the army, but you're pretty right about that statement.

Also, people in the army are used to being held accountable for poo poo like this. Failing to follow ROE is a quick route to levenworth for however long the army decides to put you in there for. Toss in this highly public and politically charged situation and you can bet that everyone is going to be riding everyone's rear end HARD about there being ZERO gently caress-ups on this front.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1070128546511753216

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i bit the bullet and paid PACER for it

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.dcd.191592/gov.uscourts.dcd.191592.46.0.pdf

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1070128941514530816

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1070128923957186560

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Booooooo

Lock him up

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

And we're off

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1070129121261322241?s=19

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

He must have given up A LOT of information.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dammit all the good stuff is covered up.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Not seeing anything interesting in there or even any redactions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Your Taint posted:

Dammit all the good stuff is covered up.

I choose to speculate wildly ty