Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
https://twitter.com/workmanalice/status/1070101144981057539

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Full disclosure, I only skimmed, but which part covers him wanting to block VPNs? 'site blocking legislation' to me means forcing ISPs to update their DNS to redirect/block known piracy websites from resolving. What else does the legislation do wrt VPNs?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

hooman posted:

Thanks.

I kind of skimmed the pages where the thread devolved into a fingerpointing shitshow, so it probably got lost in the white noise.

EDIT: Found it, mid attenborough chat.

Oh yeah that's right goddamnit, gently caress goons.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Ranter posted:

Full disclosure, I only skimmed, but which part covers him wanting to block VPNs? 'site blocking legislation' to me means forcing ISPs to update their DNS to redirect/block known piracy websites from resolving. What else does the legislation do wrt VPNs?

The legislation differs from the current legislation in that the current legislation allows them to block websites that are directly involved in the provision of pirate materials, e.g. The Pirate Bay, and IsoHunt, wheras the new legislation allows them to order ISPs to block websites that are INDIRECTLY involved in the provision of pirate material. Like VPN services, for instance.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
A website isn't a VPN though. I don't understand. Do you mean the website that the VPN service uses to sell you the VPN will be blocked?

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

cohsae posted:

I'd just like if I could find a landlord that would let me put in a hook to hang a bloody picture, or put some herbs/veges in.
Love living in white featureless boxes.
Luckily we just bought a house so we can do whatever the gently caress we want now!

Should have moved into my old place, there were maybe up to a dozen hooks scattered all over the place seemingly randomly. Of course when we moved out they said "what's up with all these hooks, we never said you could put these in" and I just pointed out that you can clearly see on the hooks remnants of the old paint job and they shut up.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Ranter posted:

A website isn't a VPN though. I don't understand. Do you mean the website that the VPN service uses to sell you the VPN will be blocked?

If assume that what they would be doing.

Hit the firewall a few times in China so far, basically if I had it set up before entering it works fine but many devices I've set up with the VPN app inside have been hit and miss if they can make the initial connection to login.

I'd assume though they wouldn't be doing anything more involved than blocking the IP addresses as they currently do so maybe Google DNS will be able to bypass it anyway?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
The website is only needed to obtain the service. After that you're good to go. Unless I've misunderstood something about this proposed law.

Regarding China/other services trying to block VPNs like Netflix/Hulu; my understanding is that it's a game of cat and mouse where the bad actor bans known IP addresses that VPN services pipe their data through, then the VPN service adds new IPs to get around it, rinse and repeat.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 5, 2018

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Ranter posted:

The website is only needed to obtain the service. After that you're good to go. Unless I've misunderstood something about this proposed law.

Regarding China/other services trying to block VPNs like Netflix/Hulu; my understanding is that it's a game of cat and mouse where the bad actor bans known IP addresses that VPN services pipe their data through, then the VPN service adds new IPs to get around it, rinse and repeat.

Running through the hotel wifi I was able to watch Netflix and use Google search for the first night without a VPN however the next morning it wouldn't work at all. So the solution I've found is IPVanish app but the only way I could get the initial login was to tether to my phone with VPN on and do the first login that way then I could jump into hotel wifi and tunnel out. Western hotel chain so maybe they have a little more leeway?

Like you said seems to be a bit of cat and mouse.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Just want to chime in on REA are scum chat.

I absolutely cannot wait till this market turns full bear and they’re all out of jobs.

Absolute parasites that add no value to society.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Forgive my relative ignorance on the subject; but isn’t the point of the changes labor pushed to the encryption bill that companies couldn’t be forced to do anything that would amount to a systemic vulnerability? ie they can be forced to help break into a specific persons communications but they can’t be forced to do anything that would introduce a vulnerability into the system as a whole? And would that not basically create a situation where Apple or whatnot just says ‘whelp sorry there’s nothing we can do’

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/joshgnosis/status/1070167429362270208

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

https://twitter.com/NickMcKim/status/1070144309175836672?s=20

:eyepop:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/TwitterAU/status/1070113877537415168

#libspill

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Just shows how loving boring Twitter is and what kind of person has an account if qanda is that high on the tags.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
#BTS? k-pop will be the next african gangs

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Reclines Obesily posted:

#BTS? k-pop will be the next african gangs

drat Koreans coming over here taking honest jobs from hard working former neighbours cast members.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Dimebag posted:

drat Koreans coming over here taking honest jobs from hard working former neighbours cast members. esports teenagers.

FTFY

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

JBP posted:

Just shows how loving boring Twitter is and what kind of person has an account if qanda is that high on the tags.

I mean q&a is a weekly thing while libspill is bi-monthly at best.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Kinda sad #eatshitlyle wasn't in the top 10. I guess it was last year

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Forgive my relative ignorance on the subject; but isn’t the point of the changes labor pushed to the encryption bill that companies couldn’t be forced to do anything that would amount to a systemic vulnerability? ie they can be forced to help break into a specific persons communications but they can’t be forced to do anything that would introduce a vulnerability into the system as a whole? And would that not basically create a situation where Apple or whatnot just says ‘whelp sorry there’s nothing we can do’

This and similar stuff keeps popping up, so I'll try to explain it to the best of my (limited) ability.

1) When a cryptographic system is described as secure, this means that there is no way for anyone to feasibly* read the encrypted data without the key.

2) Any subsystem which allows the creator of the cryptosystem (or someone designated by them) to read the encrypyted data without the key is "a backdoor".

3) When a cryptosystem has a backdoor, the system is not secure because the data can feasibly (even easily!) be read without the key**.

So

The addition of a backdoor, by definition, introduces a vulnerability into the system as a whole because now someone (anyone with access to the backdoor) can feasibly (easily, even) read the encrypted data without the key. It is, by definition, impossible for a secure system to contain a backdoor. It is also, by definition, impossible to have a system which is both secure and which "a specific persons communications can be accessed" without the key, because that necessitates the existence of a backdoor.

So either the law does nothing at all, or it does the incredibly scary thing because the people who think they've watered it down have no loving idea what they're talking about. I guarantee it'll be the latter.

...and it shouldn't matter which side of politics you're on here, because if you somehow think it's OK because your side is the one doing it, you're saying "I trust all future governments not to gently caress this up, abuse it, or both" and also "I am absolutely positive that no bad actor outside the government will ever get their hands on this" and fuckin lol in both cases, for a while you could get into someone else's vicroads data by changing the customer number in the browser's address bar, and the government response was to send the cops to arrest the guy that reported it to them.

*ie, with current technology, there is no way for anyone to read the encrypted data in a timeframe where it would matter. So something that is known to be able to be cracked, but the crack will take 500+ years with existing computers counts as "secure". Something that could be cracked in a minute or two if only you had a computer the size of the universe counts as secure.

** That the somebody who wants to read the encrypted data without the key promises not to do so unless they think it's important is entirely irrelevant.

Uh, I mean, if you have done nothing wrong then you have nothing to hide.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 5, 2018

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

AlphaDog posted:

This and similar stuff keeps popping up, so I'll try to explain it to the best of my (limited) ability.

1) When a cryptographic system is described as secure, this means that there is no way for anyone to feasibly* read the encrypted data without the key.

2) Any subsystem which allows the creator of the cryptosystem (or someone designated by them) to read the encrypyted data without the key is "a backdoor".

3) When a cryptosystem has a backdoor, the system is not secure because the data can feasibly (even easily!) be read without the key**.

So

The addition of a backdoor, by definition, introduces a vulnerability into the system as a whole because now someone (anyone with access to the backdoor) can feasibly (easily, even) read the encrypted data without the key. It is, by definition, impossible for a secure system to contain a backdoor. It is also, by definition, impossible to have a system which is both secure and which "a specific persons communications can be accessed" without the key, because that necessitates the existence of a backdoor.

So either the law does nothing at all, or it does the incredibly scary thing because the people who think they've watered it down have no loving idea what they're talking about. I guarantee it'll be the latter.

...and it shouldn't matter which side of politics you're on here, because if you somehow think it's OK because your side is the one doing it, you're saying "I trust all future governments not to gently caress this up, abuse it, or both" and also "I am absolutely positive that no bad actor outside the government will ever get their hands on this" and fuckin lol in both cases.

*ie, with current technology, there is no way for anyone to read the encrypted data in a timeframe where it would matter. So something that is known to be able to be cracked, but the crack will take 500+ years with existing computers counts as "secure". Something that could be cracked in a minute or two if only you had a computer the size of the universe counts as secure.

** That the somebody who wants to read the encrypted data without the key promises not to do so unless they think it's important is entirely irrelevant.

I completely agree with you that backdoors are bad and should not be legally mandated; but my interpretation of what the act is doing leans towards the ‘the law does nothing’ approach. If a company cannot be mandated to put a vulnerability into their product then the law is fairly useless. My thinking is that rather than attempt to compromise the encryption itself; the law will rather be used to plant malware of some kind onto specific devices; thus compromising a device not a service.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Lord Bude posted:

I completely agree with you that backdoors are bad and should not be legally mandated; but my interpretation of what the act is doing leans towards the ‘the law does nothing’ approach. If a company cannot be mandated to put a vulnerability into their product then the law is fairly useless. My thinking is that rather than attempt to compromise the encryption itself; the law will rather be used to plant malware of some kind onto specific devices; thus compromising a device not a service.

Maybe Apple or Google wouldn't be strongarmed but the developers making every flash in the pan private chat for teenagers will probably crack.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

...which could be done with existing wiretap laws.

e: wait, if it's the company being made to provide the encryption-bypassing malware then it's functionally equivalent to a backdoor in the crypto and has all the same problems.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Won't terrorists just go back to cold war basics like using one-time pads and such? So even if the encryption is broken, it's still not a message that can be retrieved?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Won't terrorists just go back to cold war basics like using one-time pads and such?

It's just to win votes it doesn't have to do anything.

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

if you can’t beat em, supress em

https://twitter.com/Paul_Karp/status/1070191993647652864

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

In 2007, 86% of voters were satisfied with Australia’s democracy, but that figure dropped to 72% by 2010 (where it plateaued for three years) and then went into freefall from 2013, plummeting from 72% to 41% between 2013 and 2018.

It means voter satisfaction with Australian democracy, as it is being practised, has more than halved in 10 years.

:thunk:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The popularity of fried chicken has halved in the last decade which means in another ten short years the fried chicken will be unattainable

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

The dissent says the same suggestion was made in 2013

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Do we have figures on the numbers of informal votes in the Vic election? I was looking at one of the districts and it seemed pretty big.

I'd be interested to see if it's trending up or down - I think there were some changes to the way you could fill in a ballot this time, but I don't remember if that was last election or not

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

https://www.buzzfeed.com/aliceworkman/a-year-on-from-legalising-same-sex-marriage-australia

quote:

Labor's bill to scrap laws that allow religious schools to kick out LGBT school students has been delayed until next year, after the government proposed amendments lawyers fear would replace one form of discrimination with another.

"This is the situation we face: Centre Alliance senators Griff and Patrick have made public that they will support the government's amendment to insert a new provision that exempts teaching activity in religious schools from the Sex Discrimination Act," Wong told the Senate.
"The advice from legal experts is clear - this amendment, passed with the support of Senators Griff and Patrick, would destroy the intent of the bill—that is, to remove discrimination against LGBTIQ students.
"Worse still, the advice is that the government's amendment - which would pass with the support of Centre Alliance - would worsen discrimination against LGBTIQ students, allowing positive discrimination by staff and even allowing teachers to refuse to teach LGBTIQ students."

Minutes after the Senate agreed to postpone a vote until next year, prime minister Scott Morrison held a press conference to say he was willing to have "one more go" at removing discrimination. But only if Labor agreed to his amendments.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/Paul_Karp/status/1070192573749223424?s=19

Lol what's this about?

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

Can't wait for those Centre Alliance pricks to support this.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Based on that excerpt it seems they have no instances of voter fraud to point to and are pointing to mistrust of the democratic process they themselves are the source of.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
ScoMo knows he can't win the electino so will do a deal in the Senate to put voter ID in the next election and win in a landslide because poor people will be declared as INVALID VOTES

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

GetUp explicitly targeted Dutton’s seat and are also pretty active at any and all by-elections.

Libs have tried to rake them over the coals for this but there’s no law against pointing out what pieces of poo poo they are

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Voter ID laws would suck.

But you get your drivers license out anyway to get your name checked off the roll.

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

drunkill posted:

Voter ID laws would suck.

But you get your drivers license out anyway to get your name checked off the roll.

No you don't.

That is literally what this law would force you to do.

What is the plan for those without photo ID?

hidys fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

What's the percentage of adults in Australia without valid ID though?