Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

funny way to spell posted:

Still going on about Ralph and Marci after even rehab. Definitely not in a good state of mind.

Anyway I was thinking in the car today while listening to the show that Shuli would be a good replacement for Artie.

Shuli is good In focused bursts only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Artie was great on the radio. Huge range of jokes and stories and knew instinctively how to be a side kick but also independent.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Shuli is good on the panels and his wack pack reports. I do think he is a funny guy who really gets the show, but he definitely is too big of a fan boy to be a consistent on the air guy. Hell, I think Mike Trainor might be the funniest guy "off the cuff" on the current staff, but they won't even refer to him by name.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you
Shuli is alright, I don't think I've ever heard him for a long enough period. He generally gets on my nerves after just a little bit. That being said, I wouldn't mind throwing down some money to listen to him sing the tan mom song live.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

euphronius posted:

Artie was great on the radio. Huge range of jokes and stories and knew instinctively how to be a side kick but also independent.

What are your thoughts on his tenure post-stern?

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
Seen some Artie dogpiling going on all over the 'net lately and it bugs me. Artie definitely owns

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
Artie loves pancakes

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Let's see, complaints and accusations against Howard/Marci/Ralph(!?), Anthony Cumia, and an ex-girlfriend from four years ago.

I can't wait for Artie to tweet something about that guy who was mean to him in high school back in 1985.

Johnny-on-the-Spot
Apr 17, 2015

That feeling when he opens
the door for you

swims posted:

Seen some Artie dogpiling going on all over the 'net lately and it bugs me. Artie definitely owns

I think it's safe to say most everyone loves Artie, we're all just tired of watching him taking a big'ol dump on himself.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Former Human posted:

Let's see, complaints and accusations against Howard/Marci/Ralph(!?), Anthony Cumia, and an ex-girlfriend from four years ago.

I can't wait for Artie to tweet something about that guy who was mean to him in high school back in 1985.

Too bad Johnny Fratto isn't still around.

"Hey john, is Art.. that gently caress'nguy Vinnie was talking poo poo to me in 10th grade science class. I want you to find him.... You know what to do, you know what to do".

I thought Artie was hilarious on the show, especially when he was loving with eric the midget.

hey how ward i need to ask yo...
BYE SHITHEAD!!
SHUT.... UP!! Howard, ca an i ge....
NOBODY LIKES YOU!!
SHUU UT UP FAT..... rear end!!
How ard, did you see the....
BYE rear end in a top hat!!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Johny-on-the-Spot posted:

I think it's safe to say most everyone loves Artie, we're all just tired of watching him taking a big'ol dump on himself.

And even when he's being a lunatic, he's getting some funny stuff out there. He's still got comedy skills.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

swims posted:

Artie owns a huge gross nose and a whole bunch of deeply buried problems.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

What are your thoughts on his tenure post-stern?

He’s an addict

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

Johny-on-the-Spot posted:

I like the laid back Artie who would make fun of Mike Bocchetti and would just be funny because he wasn't trying to prove anything.

I don't like:

Artie's nose.
Him going on Opie's show saying how funny Opie and his crew were(they were extremely unfunny. I'm talking about when Anthony left).
The cover of his book, "Wanna Bet?" I seriously didn't buy it based on the creepy cover.
30 day rehabs
Hanging out with Bob Levy.
Laughing at his own stories that he's repeated a thousand times. People say he did this on Stern but it's reached a new insane level.
WEIRD Tweets
Constant. loving. Lies.

I would get douche chills over the years when people would say, "I'M OFFICIALLY DONE WITH ARTIE" because it's like, "Who gives a poo poo? He doesn't. Just enjoy the insanity." But I'm now officially done with Artie. I don't think of it as, "I love Artie but he's got to get better." I think of it as, "I don't know who this creepy guy is but he's not Artie."

kolby fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 5, 2018

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I was the biggest Artie apologist in this thread but fell off hard like 2 years ago after his creepy twitter tirade against Bryan Callen for being the only Mad TV cast member who didn't, by artie's account, drop everything to "help" him during his season there. I was really disgusted at how entitled he feels to everyone's time and money because he is a degenerate addict. His co-workers have their own lives, their own problems and don't exist to put their lives on hold at the drop of a hat for the zillionth time because he can't get his loving poo poo together. Not to mention most people aren't equipped/knowledgeable to even do anything helpful for him (not that they're even obligated/expected to), and that by itself is not even a shortcoming or character flaw. 10 out of 11 people apparently isn't good enough.

And besides, how long as he even on MadTV? His co-workers are basically strangers at that point and don't owe him poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He was falling apart at the end of his stern gig and and been a reck since

also the structure of the show and Howard made him funnier than he is on his own

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

beep by grandpa posted:

I was the biggest Artie apologist in this thread but fell off hard like 2 years ago after his creepy twitter tirade against Bryan Callen for being the only Mad TV cast member who didn't, by artie's account, drop everything to "help" him during his season there. I was really disgusted at how entitled he feels to everyone's time and money because he is a degenerate addict. His co-workers have their own lives, their own problems and don't exist to put their lives on hold at the drop of a hat for the zillionth time because he can't get his loving poo poo together. Not to mention most people aren't equipped/knowledgeable to even do anything helpful for him (not that they're even obligated/expected to), and that by itself is not even a shortcoming or character flaw. 10 out of 11 people apparently isn't good enough.

And besides, how long as he even on MadTV? His co-workers are basically strangers at that point and don't owe him poo poo.

Don't forget making his senior citizen mother shovel a driveway so she could get his meds from CVS. Oh and she had to drive in a snowstorm with him on the phone the entire time so he wouldn't try to kill himself again.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

Oh poo poo, yeah, I completely forgot about this. Jesus christ, that was loving brutal.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I'd like to think that Eric the Midget is in Heaven right now and is happy that Artie has a freakish nose.

"Who...is...the...freak...now...fa...tboy"

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

euphronius posted:

He’s an addict

Yah basically this.
His only blessing is that he is able to afford his addict lifestyle and still be part of society and work in show biz even.
Im gonna put on my Howard psych hat for a minute and give you my Artie thoughts, mostly from having a spouse who listens to the show, who runs a methadone clinic and has degrees etc in a bunch of addiction fields.

His triggers for relapse is a mix of PTSD, stress reaction and fear reaction.
Some of this stuff you guys have mentioned before so its pretty easy to spot.
Also its just based on his stories and interviews, so some may not be true or exact from our POV of his stories but here it goes....

First known hard run of drug abuse was after his dad fell.
He has said, how his family reacted and what they did. His sister and mother rallied around each other and he turned to drugs and drinking.
There is still some who think Artie actually helped his dad pass and hold a lot of secrets and guilt about that.

Second major relapse/bender we know about was his MadTV incident where he went to rehab. He claims that trigger was the pig skit etc...but who really knows what triggered that episode. We did learn he had his first suicide attempt while in LA, so there may have been other factors there.

Third major relapse we know about is at the end of his Dana relationship. His heroin use started back again while on the road and filming beer league. That trigger? Probably a mix of fear a stress due to the schedule, pressure to marry Daner, the movie etc..
That was not the relapse he would bounce back from. Basically from that point on he was a functional addict.
Losing Dana is probably still a major issue in his head and that has never been resolved.
There is also part of him that blames his dad on some level. If his dad was still alive today I dont think Artie would be this way to the level he is.

There is a lot of poo poo going on in that head...heroin probably did stop the merry go round in his head for 12 hours, so from the addict POV it was a good solution.
Would therapy fix him? Maybe a little...but there is a lot to unpack going on there. Howard thinks he is nuts and needs therapy 3 days a week, but its really Artie who needs it.

Ok, hat off.

Do they refer to the day you were born as 3-11?

Mr Lance Murdock fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 5, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think Howard goes 4 days a week lmao

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Imagine being the therapist that someone like THE HOWARD STERN opens up to. You see articles online, hear news stories, hear people talk about him and the show, and think to yourself...

(hypothetical example of some weird confession) "That man once peed in a woman's butt, and I can't tell ANYONE about that."

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Artie is garbage and has been since he was on the show. loving degenerate addict that lies constantly and lashes out at people who help him.

I cant believe anyone in this thread that has ever heard the show doesnt see this.

Brad Garrett was totally right and said things about Artie that everyone there knew already but was too chicken poo poo to say it.

loving. Junky. Loser.

BTW Shuli is garbage.

JB50 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 5, 2018

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

What makes Artie the most insufferable is I think he thinks his addict ways & degenerate behavior, smoking etc make him look cool, badass and "like a man". I think there is a definite good and healthy amount of "masculinity" for a man to have to help establish himself, be useful to and protect his loved ones and be respected (and thus I probably have much more conservative views on manhood than most SA but hey you do you, whatevs :h:). But jfc Artie's projection of manliness just sounds so pathetic and sad to me it makes my skin crawl.

No it is not badass or manly to throw CDs at Sal or whatever because he's pushing your buttons you loving freak.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

What makes Artie the most insufferable is I think he thinks his addict ways & degenerate behavior, smoking etc make him look cool, badass and "like a man". I think there is a definite good and healthy amount of "masculinity" for a man to have to help establish himself, be useful to and protect his loved ones and be respected (and thus I probably have much more conservative views on manhood than most SA but hey you do you, whatevs :h:). But jfc Artie's projection of manliness just sounds so pathetic and sad to me it makes my skin crawl.

No it is not badass or manly to throw CDs at Sal or whatever because he's pushing your buttons you loving freak.

I've mentioned this before, but Gary is the worst with this poo poo, except he's far, far more grounded than Artie. Both are all tied up with bullshit masculinity.

I'd love to hear his WUS commentary if RuPaul or any of the Drag Race winners were to ever show up to the studio.

Meanwhile, those men are loving gorgeous :swoon:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Didn't Artie admit that he was doing heroin while still with Dana? maybe it was in Too Fat To Fish but I know he says something about always being late to pick her up because he was one state over trying to score.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Artie loved to fall back on "Hey buddy, I'm from Jersey, you better watch out." He's from loving Livingston of all places, some cushy suburb of Newark, which isn't anywhere close to a rough area of Jersey. It's the kind of place known for its loving apple trees. Median income of almost six figures. Every guy with 0.05% Italian heritage thinks they're some kind of big shot Tony Soprano type. Most of them are still huge pussies.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

is it me or did the Sopranos TV show somehow awaken a mentality like this? Even on the Stern show it seems like they suddenly start using slang from the show.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Bonzo posted:

is it me or did the Sopranos TV show somehow awaken a mentality like this? Even on the Stern show it seems like they suddenly start using slang from the show.

100%

I'm in Jersey and I have a friend whose entire family + him suddenly all started saying MOOTZARELL in the early 2000s :thunk: loving kill me

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bonzo posted:

I think it was there before, just not as widespread. There have always been idiot shitheads who obsessed over things like Goodfellas and the Godfather and thought they were special assholes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

100%

I'm in Jersey and I have a friend whose entire family + him suddenly all started saying MOOTZARELL in the early 2000s :thunk: loving kill me

Gabagool.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Artie loved to fall back on "Hey buddy, I'm from Jersey, you better watch out." He's from loving Livingston of all places, some cushy suburb of Newark, which isn't anywhere close to a rough area of Jersey. It's the kind of place known for its loving apple trees. Median income of almost six figures. Every guy with 0.05% Italian heritage thinks they're some kind of big shot Tony Soprano type. Most of them are still huge pussies.

Now that I think about it Artie is exactly how I imagine AJ Soprano would be if he got older.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

MOOTZARELL

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

100%

MOOTZARELL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El62UnrGlC4

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Now that I think about it Artie is exactly how I imagine AJ Soprano would be if he got older.

The scene were the tries to drown himself in the pool and has to be saved by Tony is sad but also funny.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Still have much love for Mozzarella Balls. "Braciole and escarole with buffalo wings, Jack Daniels and Vic-o-dins"

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Release Robin's Bra

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
some girl is standing outside the studio where I work cutting some kind of radio ad for some bullshit and I swear to god she sounds exactly like Wendy. same cadence, same limited vocabulary, same special person slurring. it's absolutely incredible. every 10-15 minutes or so I get to hear another whopper of a take.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

The Jersey eye-tye schtick is something I've heard pretty much the entirety of my 40 years on this planet. I grew up in a very Italian part of a very Roman Catholic part of the country and it's been all mootzarel and gabagool and brazhole as far back as I remember. I'm not saying it didn't spike after the Sopranos, but every fat kid with a unibrow and a Yankees hat talked like that where I'm from.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Those pronunciations of food were from the original rural Italian towns Italian immigrants came from 150-100 years ago. I don’t think those are correct even in modern Italian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Gabagool is the new bababooey.