Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Fast Luck posted:

Actually we've all played Survivor on our computers with internet people and we're really good

>:c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Vernacular posted:

Here are some takes: both Woo and Ian made bad decisions. Also, Survivor would be Really Hard but also probably Really Fun.
During Cagayan, Woo stole a bunch of food from production which earned him the nickname "Weasel Woo" with fellow players. Notably when asked in interviews why they call him Weasel Woo everyone gets real vague and say they're not allowed to talk about it. Anyway, Survivor has never expelled a player from the game and they weren't about to start because of that (and hairdresser Lindsey had already -- in an act of astonishing maturity -- quit the game so that she wouldn't punch Trish). Therefore, their solution was to leave Woo in the game but to inform him he'd violated his contract and was ineligible for the $1,000,000 prize. That is why Woo decided to be "honorable" and bring Tony to the end. I just made this up now but I'm trying to get it out there, your help is appreciated

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Fast Luck posted:

During Cagayan, Woo stole a bunch of food from production which earned him the nickname "Weasel Woo" with fellow players. Notably when asked in interviews why they call him Weasel Woo everyone gets real vague and say they're not allowed to talk about it. Anyway, Survivor has never expelled a player from the game and they weren't about to start because of that (and hairdresser Lindsey had already -- in an act of astonishing maturity -- quit the game so that she wouldn't punch Trish). Therefore, their solution was to leave Woo in the game but to inform him he'd violated his contract and was ineligible for the $1,000,000 prize. That is why Woo decided to be "honorable" and bring Tony to the end. I just made this up now but I'm trying to get it out there, your help is appreciated

Hahaha gently caress you

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

:aaaaa:

Anyway, this argument is getting dumb, so I'll see y'all on Wednesday night.

If you're wondering whether or not this means you won; yes, you did. Good job, you. :toot:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Fast Luck posted:

Not sure if this is more or less believable than "Sash from Nicaragua tried to bribe Jane and then production told FTC jurors that they weren't allowed to vote for him."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Spergatory posted:

People have that whole Ian and Tom situation all wrong. To really understand what Ian did there, you need to understand three things:

1. Ian was not beating Tom in that challenge. Ian was playing with an injured foot and Tom was more or less fighting fit. There was no situation where Tom falls off that platform before Ian, and therefore no situation where Ian sits in the final 2 without him. Tom's "I was about to fall off!" was a playful jab at Ian, not a true statement. SOURCE: Tom Westman's and Ian's interviews with Survivor Oz.

2. Ian was not beating Tom in the final 2. The two of them played almost the exact same game, but Tom was just better. He won more challenges, pissed off fewer people, and didn't stuff up the endgame in front of the jury. At most, Ian gets votes from Katie and Coby. Tom Westman was winning Survivor Palau and there was nothing Ian could do to stop him.

3. 1st place - $1,000,000. 2nd place - $100,000. 3rd place - $85,000. The gap between first and second place winnings is $900k. The gap between second and third is $15k. Since we've already established that Ian was not winning, his choice boiled down to whether he wanted to be second or third. "But why would he choose third if second gets him more money?" Well, that's simple; did you see what happened to Katie? Ian knew the jury was mad at him and he was already feeling pretty beaten down, so he essentially paid $15,000 of house money for the privilege of not being dragged through the mud by his peers on national television.

He gets to go out on his own terms, seem generous to Katie, and look like a stand-up guy to the public (which was more important back then). Plus, instead of staying on the island or another day, only to then have to sit in the final two for hours trying in vain to defend himself while everyone yells at him (something we already know he is bad at), he gets to go to Ponderosa, eat, recover, and space out until it's his turn to ask a question at FTC. I wouldn't call it a "win," because only Tom was really winning there, but I'd say the intangibles he gained were probably worth what he paid for them, especially given that he wasn't paying with his own money.

Hmm, I still think it was a stupid move, but I can better see where it came from with this perspective. The cultural strength of Survivor is another thing that's been crazy to me watching these seasons in order. Like when what's her face leaves the reunion show because the audience is being like vicious and Jeff/production are not helping. Like, she stood up to tell everyone "hey, we're real people so you can hurt our feelings and poo poo" and everyone booed her like she was some heretic. Looking back, I do remember some of that Survivor fervor. Watched it with some of my family, we'd talk about it and poo poo. Got pissed when season was boring or had nobody we cared about, you'd see the cast on magazines and tv interviews and junk. Sometimes people's attitudes and behaviour seems confusing until you put in context that they were on a national stage and were almost auditioning to be a celeb-lite during their time on the show.

Is there a specific season or streak of them when things kind of change as the country moved on. For a while it felt like everything coming out was another drat reality show but like then like cable and then internet kind of made it so that there was too much of everything so it never reached critical mass. Now it's just kind of it's own beast interwoven throughout all sorts of shows, and gently caress even youtube and twitch and who even knows or cares what authenticity is or even means anymore.

I also didn't realize third place was so close to 2nd. I guess yeah, personally I might not want to sit there and get a public shaming, then again, if I already sunk 12 hours in, I'd be a victim of sunk cost and feel obligated to continue anyway. 15,000 is still a lot of money, that's more than half of what I've ever made in a year. No telling how poor Ian was at the time, though. Plus, 85k is already such a big boon in comparison, that's like 3 years of life you don't have to go to work. Heck, even assuming 50% lost to taxes, 42.5k is basically two years of not working for me. Or maybe 42k is enough money to do the tricks to turn your money into bigger money. How much did people get for appearances on TV shows and magazines and stuff back then?

Oh!

Another move that stuck out to me was someone being given the chance to turn down a car prize but 4 other people win cars instead in Guatemala. Cindy ended up not winning, but I don't think she was either way. To me, outside of the game, 4 cars > 1 car is hard for me to get around. I don't even think of myself as an especially selfless or giving person, but I guess from a utilitarian gut feeling, 4 cars is just flat out more good generated than keeping one for yourself. The more selfish part of me feels like giving the 4 cars instead also is advantageous in how someone might feel like they owe you, how it might endear you to the public, and maybe it's a The Golden Axe fable kind of thing where you do the "right" thing and surprise you get a car anyway just for being cool and the car is really just advertisement paid out of some marketer's per diem anyway, and giving away 4 gives us a reason to talk about it.

edit: okay I lied, and I have nowhere else to talk about this: Survivor Cook Islands/race season. There's a tribal where everyone is openly hostile to resident doucher Jonathan and it's one of my favourite tribals ever. "You're a rat!" Hahahaha -- and he doesn't even go home!

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 5, 2018

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

Lone Goat posted:

Not sure if this is more or less believable than "Sash from Nicaragua tried to bribe Jane and then production told FTC jurors that they weren't allowed to vote for him."

That's one of those Survivor rumors I believe. If you go back and watch the tribal voting videos online, they used to show you all of the actual voting confessionals. Here's one from Heroes vs. Villains for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pntZ052xNDM

Now, if you look at the votes from the TC where that alleged bribing incident took place, Jane says 'You can lie all you want to -", then it very suddenly cuts to her putting her vote in the urn. Sash says ' What you pulled today at camp and at tribal is utterly disgusting - " then the rest of what he's said is edited out too. Then after Survivor Nicaragua they stopped letting us see the voting confessionals period. Something def happened at that tc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeQaOAF1QQk

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't remember the circumstances for that at all but like if they wanted to cover it up wouldn't they just cut those comments out entirely?

Like out of context I just assume there must have been some exchange in Tribal that I assume we saw right before that? But I have no memory at all of that. Couldn't even tell you what season that was if the video wasn't labeled. I think that was Brenda's first?

Oh. That's the Fabio win. That makes sense.

Like from a production sense it just makes sense to not show us the votes to keep the drama alive. Which might just be a production evolution but also probably speaks to the game evolution where everything's about blindsides and betrayals now and players don't even like the word "alliance."

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 5, 2018

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Pretty much any urban legend that substantiates yet another reason why Nicaragua is terrible won't see me arguing.

And as much as Parv proved herself later the white people of Cook Islands just were not very good at Survivor. Even Jonathan; love him though we do, and for good reason, jumping with Candice was really, really dumb and I think he justified it later--it was much dumber for her than for him--but he panicked and it pretty much tanked his chances then and there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I didn't realize til I checked up on the season again that four out of the five whites were voted out back to back in Cook Islands, haha.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Its kinda something to think about a season like Cook Islands even getting the green light, let alone in today's social climate. I never actually watched it. Was it pretty awkward at times? Just cringing at the thought of Jeff hammering away at the racial theme like he does for the themes of new seasons like David vs Goliath, MvGX, etc.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Vernacular posted:

Was it pretty awkward at times?

Yes

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Billy Garcia was a treasure and I'm actually surprised we haven't had more dudes with unrecipocrated crushing on women throughout the 37 seasons. Heck, or even gay dudes crushing on other guys or lesbians crushing on other women.

The only other (unrecipocrated) crush I could think of was... Jerri on Colby on their very first season?

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 5, 2018

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Falling in love with a girl you've just met is actually really creepy from a woman's perspective hth

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh it's super creepy and if Billy had lasted another episode it might have gotten stalkery as heck. But for a two episode flameout it was just entertaining enough, ala Jacob (Ghost Island).

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Vernacular posted:

Its kinda something to think about a season like Cook Islands even getting the green light, let alone in today's social climate. I never actually watched it. Was it pretty awkward at times? Just cringing at the thought of Jeff hammering away at the racial theme like he does for the themes of new seasons like David vs Goliath, MvGX, etc.
It doesn't actually come up that much, and one tribe even actively laughs at Jeff and kind of makes fun of him for even trying to bring it up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like Cook Islands is worth a rewatch to see Ozzy and Yul stick it to the white backstabers and run the game, Candace get mercilessly tortured for her betrayal for weeks, Parvatti play a truly terrible and obnoxious game, and Penner lash out at Jeff.

And yeah, the Billy thing which I guess managed to avoid being creepy because Billy was on a different island from Candace and it was all in his head.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
In theory the casting stunt was fine and accomplished what it set out to do. Survivor at that time was horribly whitewashed and ratings were tanking. The publicity from theracial crap reminded me that Survivor was still on the air, but it also accomplished actual diversity in casting even if the hamfisted manner in which they did it nearly killed the show. Casting has reverted mostly, but it's still much much better than it used to be. We have a decent cross section of mostly young adults who aren't all mactors from LA. Whatever else the show has messed up casting itself is mostly better, even if it's mostly for the wrong reasons.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Does Brandon Hantz calling Mikayla "Delilah" and doing everything he can to rid of her count as a crush?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Also I didn't see Cook Islands but anything that makes it that visible minorities aren't the bulk of the first boots sounds like an improvement.

Before Gabby, who was the last Asian woman to make the merge?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Lone Goat posted:

Also I didn't see Cook Islands but anything that makes it that visible minorities aren't the bulk of the first boots sounds like an improvement.

Before Gabby, who was the last Asian woman to make the merge?

Probably Natalie. Gabby is Asian?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm pretty sure Gabby has mentioned being hispanic/latina before

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm pretty sure Gabby has mentioned being hispanic/latina before

That was Angelina

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

That was Angelina

I know the difference <:mad:>

I thought I specifically remembered Gabby saying it too.

Suvivor wiki has Gabby under Asian-American contestants though :shrug:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I read/heard somewhere Gabby is half.... Filipina?

Poque posted:

Probably Natalie. Gabby is Asian?

Anderson? That's funny since they voted Nadiya out first on that sesson.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

yeah Gabby is half East Asian, i forget where from specifically but PG was talking about it on RHAP. Hadn't really crossed my mind until then but once i heard that it became kind of obvious.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Fast Luck posted:

Actually we've all played Survivor on our computers with internet people and we're really good

This is 100% true

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’d totally be trash at survivor but I’d like to give it a shot. I bet I can go unnoticed for long enough to get pretty far. I don’t have a great sob story though so that might be a negative since the producers won’t give me all the idols to get to final 3.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I would love to do survivor and I think I would be pretty decent at it but I would only do it if it weren't televised. The idea of being on TV at all, let alone half-naked, starving, ultra-scrutinized and edited..... nope

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

yeah Gabby is half East Asian, i forget where from specifically but PG was talking about it on RHAP. Hadn't really crossed my mind until then but once i heard that it became kind of obvious.

I thought I read somewhere that she's of Italian descent, but yeah, that definitely fits. She reminds me of a few people I know with Korean mothers/American fathers who have a lot of emotional baggage from having a culturally dissonant family upbringing in the USA.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 5, 2018

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

The Bloop posted:

I would love to do survivor and I think I would be pretty decent at it but I would only do it if it weren't televised. The idea of being on TV at all, let alone half-naked, starving, ultra-scrutinized and edited..... nope

as someone with zero shame, i'm thinking about sending in a tape for season 39--i'm a pretty good swimmer and decent at puzzles, so like, what else is there? "social game"? heh

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spokes posted:

as someone with zero shame, i'm thinking about sending in a tape for season 39--i'm a pretty good swimmer and decent at puzzles, so like, what else is there? "social game"? heh

if you get in please doxx yourself immediately so we can root for a goon

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Bloop posted:

Cochran was a goon so choose wisely

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

The Bloop posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > TV IV > Survivor- "gently caress it."

Poque posted:

Cochran was a goon

This does not surprise me

Spokes fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 5, 2018

AWarmBody
Jul 26, 2014

Better than a cold one.

Poque posted:

Cochran was a goon so choose wisely

Was? When did he stop? Or did he just re-reg?

Also I would totally apply to survivor if I didn't have a fear of being underwater/if I had good swimming skills. If I can conquer those in the next 5 years, then I would gladly be an idiot on an island

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

No offense, goons, because I'd make this case to anyone in any situation. But I doubt anyone who hasn't done it or something very similar could really confidently be able to say "I'd be good at Survivor." Odds are most of us have never been in the psychological, physical, and emotional conditions of the game so I imagine most players don't know how they'll react until they get there.

Its why I think we see so many "goons/gamebots" flame out so hard because they think its all about the "chess" game and they'll own it but then they just break under the social, psychological, or emotional stresses. On the flip side I think there's people who are prepared for the physical stresses but break under the paranoia or strategy. etc, etc.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Oh I wouldn’t be good but I think I could fly under the radar long enough to get to merge at least. Who knows though it would be kinda fun at least.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

AWarmBody posted:

Also I would totally apply to survivor if I didn't have a fear of being underwater/if I had good swimming skills. If I can conquer those in the next 5 years, then I would gladly be an idiot on an island

he was banned for endless shitposting pre-survivor. he used to have the username The Gumby. he was a bad poster.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

AWarmBody posted:

He posted a lot when he was young and had a famous thread where his nose got infected and fell off or something, with lots of disgusting photos. His name was The Gumby i think and then he got it changed to something dumb like “have” and i think tried to purge his posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lol they're really playing up the hate on Christian