Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

What's the percentage of adults in Australia without valid ID though?

There's a large amount that don't drive or have passports & just rely on looking old enough to get into places. I don't understand it either, but they exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

hidys posted:

What is the plan for those without photo ID?

This is the plan for people without photo ID.

Who is most likely to not have a proper ID? Poor people, young people, brown people, homeless people and aborigines.

Elections are decided by margins of a few % in a handful of seats, you don't need to stop many people from voting to make a difference to the outcome.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

hidys posted:

No you don't.

That is literally what this law would force you to do.

What is the plan for those without voter ID?

The committee's recommendation is to allow for proof of address, or failing that, a provisional vote

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
it would definitely make my usual election day tradition of just driving around to different polling booths and voting as whoever has a letter sticking out of their mailbox in a nearby street a fair bit less convenient

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

hidys posted:

No you don't.

That is literally what this law would force you to do.

What is the plan for those without photo ID?

Oh, I'm not agreeing with the proposal or being like america at all.

Just pointing out we already do it, so that will be how they try to sell this issue and make it mandatory.

And for those without ID? You don't get to vote, go back to the detention centre.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bandaid.friend posted:

The committee's recommendation is to allow for proof of address, or failing that, a provisional vote

Which won't stop:

monkeu posted:

it would definitely make my usual election day tradition of just driving around to different polling booths and voting as whoever has a letter sticking out of their mailbox in a nearby street a fair bit less convenient

It's a non issue, voter ID laws are there strictly to disenfranchise.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Oh yeah I agree entirely

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I'm sure everyone will appreciate the extra half hour plus queuing on election day to reflect on how much they hate this government.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

drunkill posted:

Voter ID laws would suck.

But you get your drivers license out anyway to get your name checked off the roll.

That's only if you're voting outside your electorate.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Any goons thinking “hmmm but what about” about voter ID laws need to shut the gently caress up immediately and forever

naeka
Sep 1, 2008

Les Affaires posted:

What's the percentage of adults in Australia without valid ID though?

Not sure on exact % but large enough that there are alternate proof of identity methods for people who don't and need government services and a huge amount of them are indigenous.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

That's only if you're voting outside your electorate.

Nah they just ask you for the address you're registered at and you don't need any proof.

Source: have voted outside my electorate for 4 years now, and don't have a licence.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
No election has ever been stolen by voter fraud. Not one. Ever.

However, countless have been stolen by disenfranchisement, gerrymandering, and corrupt election officials.

We're incredibly lucky in Australia to have one of the best electoral systems in the world. No, seriously. We do.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

HazCat posted:

Nah they just ask you for the address you're registered at and you don't need any proof.

Source: have voted outside my electorate for 4 years now, and don't have a licence.

Huh, last fed election my registration had my last address and I had to show ID to vote.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Given voting is compulsory, it’d be doubly hosed to turn people away at the booths and then fine them for not voting.

hidys
May 6, 2015

"Give the boys a bit of a rev up."

snoremac posted:

Given voting is compulsory, it’d be doubly hosed to turn people away at the booths and then fine them for not voting.

Making voting optional and we're good to go!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
‘Most active in five years’: Why an expat-led boom is on the horizon for the prestige property market

Good to see Domain hasn’t let the housing crash dent its optimism

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Any goons thinking “hmmm but what about” about voter ID laws need to shut the gently caress up immediately and forever

But what about not IDing voters being potentially the same problem.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

gay picnic defence posted:

‘Most active in five years’: Why an expat-led boom is on the horizon for the prestige property market

The economic Trofim Lysenko

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
How can the government claim to maintain legitimacy when laws it opposes are passed by parliament?

Oh, because Peter Cosgrove is a bootlicking coward

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

The Libs need another leadership spill

The Liberals have only one shot left in the locker to beat Bill Shorten: installing Julie Bishop as prime minister.

Scott Morrison can’t win the federal election. He can’t even get close. Bishop is their only hope.

But do they have the wit or courage to make the move?

The public hears murmurings how Bishop is not loved within the party. She’s too moderate; she lacks depth; she’s from the west; she’s… a woman.

The party might want to hold her back, but the Australian public thinks differently. They see a person who conducts herself with decency and has an elegance of both style and spirit.

They see someone who can get along with anyone — whether across the world or the parliamentary chamber. They see someone they would actually enjoy as their leader, not another compromise appointee they are forced to accept.

Unlike many of her contemporaries, Bishop’s ambition has never been naked. Her motivations don’t appear outwardly self-interested. She has served the party long, and she has served it well. A while ago there was talk she would be a good governor-general. That would be a waste.

The new party rules designed to stop the Liberal leadership churn will not save Morrison. That requires a two-third party room vote to remove a prime minister who has won an election.

Morrison has not. Nothing can save him.

It feels almost like a retrospective rule change, which serves to remind the party what changing two election-winning prime ministers, Tony Abbott and Malcolm Turnbull, has cost them.

Some will argue that Bishop could never raise the numbers in the party. That was true until recently. Things have changed.

The Liberals are staring at calamity. If they hope to have any chance of preventing a Shorten prime ministership, what other choice do they have?

Bishop would present Shorten with a big problem. The race would suddenly even up. There would be a contest.

In order for this to happen, Bishop would not need to work the numbers or the phones. All she has to do is await the invitation.

The only thing preventing the Liberals from doing this is a measure of spite and a whole lot of pride. They worry how it will look to ordain yet another leader; they worry the conservatives would be aghast.

Most of us do not understand what petty internal malice the party holds for Bishop. But we do know this: installing Bishop would see moderate Liberal voters reaffirming their allegiance to the party, in droves.

They either do it or die.

Paul Toohey is a senior News Corp journalist.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/rendezview/the-one-way-the-liberals-can-beat-shorten/news-story/51e4dabfd4d9f13c5ea856b3e912e263

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeesss do it cowards

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Knorth posted:

Yeesss do it cowards

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gay picnic defence posted:

Meanwhile 730 have ramped up their "boomers getting hosed over by banks" storyline.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Knorth posted:

Yeesss do it cowards

Try to do it and fail anyway, lose so many seats that they surrender official opposition status

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
You guys know there hasn't been a pro Morrison article come outta News Corp in weeks right?

hidys
May 6, 2015

Not many chances to do it unless they do it in February or April.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

If there's one thing that will pacify the right and unite the party it's putting a woman in charge.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

spill for the spill god

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Anidav posted:

You guys know there hasn't been a pro Morrison article come outta News Corp in weeks right?

they wanted the potato

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

If there's one thing that will pacify the right and unite the party it's putting a woman in charge.

I know pundits think her popularity with the electorate would restore a bunch of disaffected liberal voters; and that may be true especially in WA; BUT I'M NOT GONNA WASTE ANY TIME ON IT WHILE ABBOTT AND KELLY WILL BE TEARING THE PARTY APART ONCE A WEEK

Seriously, putting a woman in charge is the only thing they could do that would be worse for them at this point.

So :yes: obviously

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I still think that if Bishop somehow became leader she would win.

Good thing is there's no way they would change leaders again before the election, and constant talking about it just hurts them more.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
‘Bringing home the bacon’ offensive to vegans

Frank Chung, news.com.au

December 5, 2018 1:56pm

Common phrases like “bring home the bacon” and “put all your eggs in one basket” have been deemed offensive to vegans and vegetarians, who want them replaced with animal-friendly alternatives like “bring home the bagels” and “put all your berries in one bowl”.

Instead of “kill two birds with one stone” we should say “feed two birds with one scone”. “Take the bull by the horns” should become “take the flower by the thorns”. No longer should we “beat a dead horse” but instead “feed a fed horse”. And rather than “let the cat out of the bag”, we should simply “spill the beans”.

According to one academic, as increased awareness of vegan issues filters through society, meat-based metaphors may end up being ditched from the language altogether.

“If veganism forces us to confront the realities of food’s origins, then this increased awareness will undoubtedly be reflected in our language and our literature,” Swansea University researcher Shareena Hamzah wrote in The Conversation.

According to Dr Hamzah, meat is “more than just a form of sustenance, it is the very king of all foods”.

“Historically, the resources required to obtain meat meant it was mainly the preserve of the upper classes, while the peasantry subsisted on a mostly vegetarian diet,” she writes.

“As a result, the consumption of meat was associated with dominant power structures in society, its absence from the plate indicating disadvantaged groups, such as women and the poor. To control the supply of meat was to control the people.”

Dr Hamzah, whose research interests include contemporary literature, women’s writing, gender and sexuality studies, equates meat to the “patriarchal mindset of the early 20th century” when “a man’s right to eat the best meat is unquestioned”.

“Meat is power, meat is for men,” she writes.

“(In Jeanette Winterson’s novel The Passion), the main female character, Villanelle, sells herself to Russian soldiers in order to have some of their scarce and valuable supply of meat. The female body is just another type of meat for these men and carnivorous desire leads to carnal pleasure.”

Today, she argues, meat is “repeatedly the subject of much socially and politically charged discussion, including about how the demand for meat is contributing to climate change and environmental degradation”.

“Studies have indicated the negative effects of meat-eating on the human body,” she writes. “When concerns about animal welfare are added to the broth, the growth of vegetarianism and veganism threatens to dethrone meat from its position at the top of the food hierarchy.”

Animal rights groups PETA has been campaigning for “animal-friendly idioms” for years. On its website, it provides helpful alternatives for teachers to “common phrases that perpetuate violence toward animals”.

“While these phrases may seem harmless, they carry meaning and can send mixed signals to students about the relationship between humans and animals and can normalise abuse,” the organisation says.

“The words that we use have the power to influence those around us. Teaching students to use animal-friendly language can cultivate positive relationships between all beings and help end the epidemic of youth violence toward animals.”

frank.chung@news.com.au

Originally published as Common phrase now offensive

https://www.couriermail.com.au/business/companies/bringing-home-the-bacon-offensive-to-vegans/news-story/8980653eddd9d27919024b6489c10f07

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I'm pretty sure Frank wrote about his crypto currency portfolio and how he was getting rich but stopped writing about bitcoin for some reason.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

asio posted:

Instead of “kill two birds with one stone” we should say “feed two birds with one scone”.

get too stoned with one bird

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

asio posted:

According to one academic
Sounds like a beat up

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Senor Tron posted:

I still think that if Bishop somehow became leader she would win.

Good thing is there's no way they would change leaders again before the election, and constant talking about it just hurts them more.

My money is still on "the only reason she stayed on after the last spill is they promised her leadership if they lose the next election".

It would also explain her image shift in the last month or so.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
If there’s three things australians love it’s professional women, asbestosis and corporate lawyers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hidys
May 6, 2015

Paul Keating on the 1988 Federal Budget posted:

This is the one that brings home the bagels

Don't think it works TBH.