Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

First rule of romcoms or romance series with multiple potential love interests: the best girl never wins. There's only one series I can think of where they did, the one with the crossdressing boy and the "ice queen" girl who just had a severe phobia of men

Haha, before scrolling over your spoiler I had guessed the series.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Shukan Shounen Hachi and Jitsuwas both had best girl win.

In Jitsu wa it wasn't even really a competition, though, right? Like, in the case of Hatsukoi Zombie the main character is actually personally uncertain over what he wants to do romantically. The same can sorta be said for that Gotoubun manga.

Speaking of Hatsukoi Zombie, one thing I liked is how the protagonist figured out on his own that Ibusuki is a girl, and had likely known for a while. It's also nice that that series is a regular romcom instead of a harem manga (since there are only two love interests). The whole thing with Eve being fascinated by the examples of people putting their first love to "rest" was also a pretty clever/appropriate way of showing that Tarou himself was trying to decide that maybe he should put his first love behind him and consider moving on (and maybe dating Ebino or whatever).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently World Trigger switched to a monthly magazine? That'll help a lot with the author's health.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

o is that why there wasn't a chapter last week?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Yeah, it's monthly now. Which means we now have a good monthly series in WSJ. It will be running in the English release as well so that's good. Same as Blue exorcist and Boruto probably.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can't believe they haven't done this with hiatus x hiatus yet

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

Probably a contract thing? I'm guessing that's why Togashi can take his breaks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

find it hard to believe he couldn't get breaks for monthly too, especially if it were better for his health and led to a more consistent stream of chapters

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dexo posted:

She was always the right girl, and the second best girl overall

Yui is the best girl.

nope, ayumi :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My Monster Secret was never a harem, from the word go he was only interested in one girl. Sure, there were almost half a dozen others interested in him, but it was almost more a series about them getting over that in various ways than him being indecisive for 200 chapters over ~what girl should I go with~

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Implying Togashi could keep up with a monthly schedule.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Thanks to the thread, I've caught up in Marry Grave. I smell a battle manga incoming. :dance:

I also started Hatsukoi Zombie. I just recently started the First Love Killer story so I've got a bit to go.

Nagatoro is interesting but I'm not 100% sure I'll stick with it if it just keeps being her bullying him without any progress.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Nagatoro definitely has progress. It gradually shifts into bullying as a thin pretext for flirting.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Nagatoro became a lot better when it softened a bit and became much less... Cruel/femdom fetishy.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Invictus continues to be the most wrong person in the world.

Ayumi caps out at 3. I can see her being better than the other canidates. But Chihiro and Yui are a tier above her.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Dexo posted:

About best girls or about Truthism/My Monster Secret? Because the part in which Invictus described MMS seems somewhat reductive but fairly accurate.

e: silly grammar. :D

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 5, 2018

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Like 90% of harem stories are foregone conclusions from the start

Jitsu Wa is harem it just also happens to be good

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, no doubt about it. Jitsu wa Watashi wa is fantastic and one of my favorite recent manga period. I just like that part that Asahi never wavers wrt the one girl he likes: He likes the cute, dumb vampire (dumbire? dumpire?) girl and so he's all in on Youko, who's an incredibly endearing character herself. Plus, the fact that everyone has stuff going on besides "Imma score" is what makes the series what it is. :3:

Well, that and the gags. I love those dumb gags.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm still wondering where Gotoubun is going to go with who will win. Pretty much everyone other than Yotsuba (poor girl) has got something going for her atm.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hxh remains one of the most popular jump titles despite only running for 2 months a year at most. they don't switch it to another magazine because they want to sell copies of jump.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If it's a harem series it's bad

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Jose posted:

Knights of Sidonia is good.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Jose posted:

You really don't have to tell us this every single time someone talks about a harem manga

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Pewdiepie posted:

Another example of best girl winning, albeit not in best form.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pewdiepie posted:

How can you tell every character looks the same

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uh, at least one character has some rather distinctive traits.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Jose posted:

How can you tell every character looks the same

Took me multiple times reading the whole thing while it was coming out and also I had to watch the anime to finally understand which character was which. One of the girls has green hair...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

man it's weird how much stuff the karakuri circus anime has skipped over. reading the manga is a real trip after watching that first. there's a ton of chapters spent on characterizing people aside from the main 3 that the anime just ignores, which leads to them needing to change the way a lot of scenes work

maybe they'll get introduced later but idk. just weird. I do like the explanation for why the puppets can easily wipe out armed groups but lose to single, unarmed humans. there's some pretty neat ideas in the manga to make the circus conceit work, tho other stuff is oversimplified or just doesn't really make sense

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dexo posted:

Ayumi caps out at 3. I can see her being better than the other canidates. But Chihiro and Yui are a tier above her.
You're spouting nonsense. The post saying Chihiro was the correct choice but not the right choice was the most accurate.

Jose posted:

read My Monster Secret jose

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

hxh remains one of the most popular jump titles despite only running for 2 months a year at most. they don't switch it to another magazine because they want to sell copies of jump.

Also since they make sales on tankobans too, all Togashi has to do is to pump out enough chapters to print a tankoban each time he comes off hiatus, and then he can go back into hiatus. It is almost a win-win for everyone there...except us.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Sindai posted:

Nagatoro definitely has progress. It gradually shifts into bullying as a thin pretext for flirting.

Yeah even knowing there's progress and seeing some pages posted that were kind of cute or funny on their own, kind of hesitant to read a series based on grade school level "they pick on you because they like you" style abuse.

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012

Jose posted:

Acclaimed austrian novel the man without qualities is a harem series. one of the harem members is even his sister so its basically a manga. a committee of 99 leading german critics and scholars declared it the greatest german-language novel of the 20th century so the academic consensus is that harem series are good.

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
The committee went on to declare chihiro the greatest girl in the world god only knows.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Allarion posted:

I mean we had Death Note several years ago, and Bakuman after that. Jump's pretty willing to experiment and stick with things at times as long as it basically hits a big home run right away. As for grittier shonen more recently, I'd argue that's more the influence of Attack on Titan being such a big success that the industry has had to re-evaluate some of their standards for shonen, hence why a bunch of Jump Starts opened their first chapter with a child being brutally murdered, including Neverland.

I feel like the grittiness has been around basically forever and we're all just thrown off because we all got into anime in the comparatively brief time period where that relatively wasn't cool.

Like, keep in mind the codifier for the shonen battle series as a concept is Fist of the loving North Star and that shonen as a whole was basically invented by Go Nagai.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

New Gotoubun

Nino train becoming a runaway train. I'm expecting her to crash and burn spectacularly.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Robber Baron Miku will assuredly derail Train Nino...!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Not sure if it got posted, but we got another chapter of Jujutusu Kaisen yesterday.
Things wind down and salaryman made it out alive afterall. But emo kid is lost forever, so is his hot mom. So it's still a bittersweet affair.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Ibblebibble posted:

New Gotoubun

Nino train becoming a runaway train. I'm expecting her to crash and burn spectacularly.

Choo Choo! :siren: All aboard the Miku train for marriage! :siren: Nino's gonna go too fast and fly off the rails.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new watamote

Kato is either flirting a lot or hiding her from ucci, either way is entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

...new edens zero at jaiminis

Not linking because its p much censored softcore.