Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

PantsOptional posted:

Is a Cathedral of Flesh still technically alive, or is it all undead flesh? If it’s the former, I propose a large amount of hydrofluoric acid, delivered via a combination of plastic aerosolizers and high speed fans.

Canisters of acid are traditional for horrible vampire houses too, cf The Shunned House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

PantsOptional posted:

Is a Cathedral of Flesh still technically alive, or is it all undead flesh? If it’s the former, I propose a large amount of hydrofluoric acid, delivered via a combination of plastic aerosolizers and high speed fans.

The Cathedral of Flesh is a single vampire.

A single very large vampire that has been fleshcrafted into a building-sized monster under New York City.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I dunno how but for some reason all that comes to mind is "rap battle".

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Crack open the top during daylight hours and lower a complicated array of mirrors into the structure.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tias posted:

Ask Lugoj Blood-Breaker how well that poo poo works. As a rule of thumb, diablerizing something much older and stronger than you and that has Vicissitude, rarely ends well.

Montgomery Coven would also agree. If there's anything left of him after Mithras hollowed him out and is wearing him as a skin.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Hostile V posted:

I dunno how but for some reason all that comes to mind is "rap battle".

This.

Or break dancing competition

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

joylessdivision posted:

This.

Or break dancing competition

And I have just the soundtrack to suit Vampire.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgbXYXREgVk

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Let’s see, new gross/subtle pairings...

Life/Death (verbena)
Time/Mind (ecstatics)
Matter/Prime (etherites)
Forces/Fate (hermetics...?)
Space/Spirit (void engineers)

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

PantsOptional posted:

Mix of both, I'm using the Assaku rules from the new Black Hand book so it's whatever biomass they were able to metastasize off the population it was infecting above ground. I'm running on the assumption that after Yorek's diablerization there are actually multiple cathedrals of flesh, that they are the next evolutionary step in Vicissitude/Assaku evolution.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

My Imbued Redeemer is going to try and get the Cathedral of Flesh to repent its ways.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

On the topic of the Cathedral of Flesh:

If Camarilla, road crew.
If Sabbat, chug, chug, chug, chug
If Anarch, blame it on the Camarilla

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Gross / Subtle is for scrubs.

Space / Time
Life / Death
Mind / Matter
Forces / Fate
Spirit / Prime

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Shame on everyone who doesn't run a Frosty the Snowman themed Promethean adventure this holiday season.

Welp I'm doing this now while we break from our normal pbp on Facebook. Pregen teen trope characters given at random and a homicidal snowman.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Space / Time
Life / Death
Mind / Matter
Forces / Fate
Spirit / Prime

all of these, but especially Forces / Fate. "You shall never reject a stranger asking for hospitality, or a loving tornado will show up and rip you in half."

And IDK why but my first thought with the Cathedral of Flesh was the ending of the first Fallout. So: Shoot its personification in the head until dead, convince it it's cause is hopeless and it should commit suicide, or sneak under it and set off a nuke.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Digital Osmosis posted:

all of these, but especially Forces / Fate. "You shall never reject a stranger asking for hospitality, or a loving tornado will show up and rip you in half."

there's a reason the Acanthus legacy of weather manipulators is my favorite, and it's not JUST for the power-gaming potential

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The reason I give a drat about it because I use to build the pentagram which I use to determine which Paths are viable under a certain view of looking at it. Like I've got Prime/Forces, Prime/Matter, and Prime/Space as possible paths while Prime/Time and Prime/Life are ruled out under that paradigm because of the structure of the pentagram.

Here's a link to my pathery shenanigans should anyway want to see what I and my players have cooked up https://pastebin.com/0bK4xhGi

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I like Gross/Subtle because it does generally bear out, and also allows for more interesting Soul Anatomy than otherwise; the subtle arcana are the arcana which make up the human soul, while the gross arcana do not make up parts of the soul, but rather the surrounding world.

Aabcehmu
Apr 27, 2013

Confusion As a Natural State of Being
This is probably symptomatic of me being dumb, but when considering alternative pairings of arcana, I've always been fond of Matter/Forces, Space/Time, Life/Death, Mind/Spirit, and Fate/Prime.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rubix Squid posted:

The reason I give a drat about it because I use to build the pentagram which I use to determine which Paths are viable under a certain view of looking at it. Like I've got Prime/Forces, Prime/Matter, and Prime/Space as possible paths while Prime/Time and Prime/Life are ruled out under that paradigm because of the structure of the pentagram.

Here's a link to my pathery shenanigans should anyway want to see what I and my players have cooked up https://pastebin.com/0bK4xhGi
So you’re saying it’s not ready for Prime/Time?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Lord_Hambrose posted:

My Imbued Redeemer is going to try and get the Cathedral of Flesh to repent its ways.

Until a Wayward Dr. Strangelove's it.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Nessus posted:

this is terrible. you're terrible. well done.

I think if I ever played Mage (instead of arguing about it on the internet, which we all know is the real purpose of the game) I'd just let the players pick one favorite arcana from among the path's arcana and then just pick another that appealed to their character. So you could still have the paths be a thing in universe, and have arcana that are identifiably theirs, but it'd be more like "all Moros are good at either Death or Matter." I don't think game balance is super important in Mage, of all games - power gamers gonna power game - and I feel like the gross / subtle distinction works best as human construct used to study and discuss magic rather than an inviolable law of metaphysics.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I like it because, frankly, the actual Path restriction on Arcana barely matter except for Inferior Arcanum... and IIRC there's no EXP penalty, you just need a mentor.
So Path Arcana are story hooks rather than mechanical limitations.
I actually reduced the threshold at which you need a tutor in non-path arcana from what the book says, so as to nudge players towards making deeper bonds with NPCs or into having closer connections and more angles with each other. It's worked very well.

And the Path Arcana sets are very good at making claims about what each Watchtower is about, metaphysically, which is cool. I like that the Paths draw on certain occult frameworks and that learning to use your Path means learning to use a set of tools, out of which one builds one's personal praxis. It gets at the Neoplatonism and occultism very well.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Digital Osmosis posted:

this is terrible. you're terrible. well done.

I think if I ever played Mage (instead of arguing about it on the internet, which we all know is the real purpose of the game) I'd just let the players pick one favorite arcana from among the path's arcana and then just pick another that appealed to their character. So you could still have the paths be a thing in universe, and have arcana that are identifiably theirs, but it'd be more like "all Moros are good at either Death or Matter." I don't think game balance is super important in Mage, of all games - power gamers gonna power game - and I feel like the gross / subtle distinction works best as human construct used to study and discuss magic rather than an inviolable law of metaphysics.

The 1e Mage Chronicler's Guide offered a few examples of free-picking. Maintaining the Gross/Subtle split was the "Warlocks of Arcadia" variant, where e.g. someone with Space/Fate would call themselves a Warlock (gross) of Arcadia (subtle). And if you don't preserve the path-based inferior arcana and instead let them pick, then you would add on "with the Shame of [inferior arcanum]".

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Nessus posted:

Heh :allears:

Digital Osmosis posted:

I feel like the gross / subtle distinction works best as human construct used to study and discuss magic rather than an inviolable law of metaphysics.

Yeah that's the reason I came up with on the back end for why I only let there be 15 possible paths per paradigm(pentragram). They're all fundamentally incomplete because they were made by beings that do not have a complete view of the grander scope of metaphysics, even if they see more than most.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
It was seeing the original subtle/gross Arcanum pairs and realizing the thematic link in each that first tipped me off that Awakening would be really good rather than just, you know, hooray the new mage game. You lose something without that distinction (although changing which Arcana are subtle and which are gross could make for interesting alternate settings/metaphysics)

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PantsOptional posted:

op check the foof thread

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

As Tollymain says, get some ideas from the cruel and unusual chemistry thread and buy a couple of dots of Allies in the Klapötke lab.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
:stwoon: :stwoon: "a compound that Klapötke, clearly a man who has refined sensibilities when it comes to extremely unstable compounds, calls 'exciting..' "

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
sadly when it comes to the realm of the explosive you want regular explosives because theyre specifically designed not to erase anything from the planet until you want them to

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tollymain posted:

sadly when it comes to the realm of the explosive you want regular explosives because theyre specifically designed not to erase anything from the planet until you want them to
Just use blood sorcery to transmute the surrounding rock and such to FOOF (or whatever). ezpz

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I did think very briefly of recommending azidoazide azide but I think literally the only way to create an appreciable amount of it and deliver it without blowing yourself up is to ask a mage to do it.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I've always wanted to emphasize the distinctions between mages by shaking up the inferior arcana. Mages just straight up cannot cast spells or use mage sight from their inferior arcana because it represents a much different piece of the truth than they have access to.

Mastigos inferior arcana would now be Fate. Mastigos don't really jive with the idea of a dictated anything, they're really not happy with the idea of the universe dictating.

Acanthus inferior arcana would now be Prime. It's the metaphysical magic structure and they straight up do not view magic in that fashion.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I admit that Acanthus inferior Prime makes more thematic sense than Forces but I think it's a good move mechanically to not have Prime be inferior for anyone.

Also Matter is the perfect Mastigos inferior; Mastigoi absolutely believe in restraints and boundaries, they just understand them internally.

The one I was never entirely sold on is Moros/Spirit.it works out but feels a bit odd.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I always forget that at least 2,000 Changelings served on both sides of the American Civil War.

EDIT:
Which, impressively, is a minimum of 1:15,700 of the total American population of the time. It's unlikely every single changeling up and served, too, so the real ratio is lower.

West Virginia c. 1860 1:375
Virginia c. 1860 1:1200

If even just a quarter of each of the two all-changeling regiments were locals and the rest all volunteered from across the nation instead, and we can plop it at 250 per state, then at the time there'd be some ~8,250 changelings in America, giving a national ratio under this assumption of ~1:3,800.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 5, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Loomer posted:

I always forget that at least 2,000 Changelings served on the Confederate side of the American Civil War.

Dreaming or Lost?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Dreaming or Lost?

Dreaming, of course. I also briefly forgot, despite spending a year working on civil war historiography a decade ago, that West Virginia was decidedly not Confederate. Embarassing in the extreme.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Joe Slowboat posted:

I admit that Acanthus inferior Prime makes more thematic sense than Forces but I think it's a good move mechanically to not have Prime be inferior for anyone.

Also Matter is the perfect Mastigos inferior; Mastigoi absolutely believe in restraints and boundaries, they just understand them internally.

The one I was never entirely sold on is Moros/Spirit.it works out but feels a bit odd.

The thing about Spirit is that the world of spirit has only the vaguest ties to the physical. Spirits are an aspect of reality that is entirely non-physical, an aspect to material things that does not fit into the Moros understanding of all existence as objects. Likewise, they don't really have a death. Death spirits exist, but they are alive. A dead spirit leaves...nothing, and indeed spirits never truly die. Naturally speaking, dead spirits just become part of other spirits. Everything in the realm of spirit is spirit. It is a world in which, fundamentally, death is just another living thing in a cycle of eternal, neverending life, which is the exact opposite of the Moros Truth, which is that life isn't real and everything is just stuff, all life is fleeting and all that exists will pass and fade.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm I the only one who feels like playing a C:tD chronicle in the civil war? Crank up the clockwork and unleash the jackalopes! :getin:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Tias posted:

I'm I the only one who feels like playing a C:tD chronicle in the civil war? Crank up the clockwork and unleash the jackalopes! :getin:

Only if you make chattel slavery the most banal institution ever devised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Loomer posted:

Dreaming, of course. I also briefly forgot, despite spending a year working on civil war historiography a decade ago, that West Virginia was decidedly not Confederate. Embarassing in the extreme.

That's the whole reason it exists, even.