Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

BisterdDave posted:

Both of these games I got kind of bored halfway through and have yet to go back to them. Weird because the only other Tales game I've played was Hearts R on the Vita, and the only other Ys game I've played was Celceta on the Vita. Both I really enjoyed front to back, so I don't know why I found Berseria and 8 to just not be as fun. I still want to go back to both someday and see if maybe it was just a bad time to start jrpgs for me or something.

Berseria’s middle portion drags for hours and hours because they had about a $20 production budget and needed to contrive reasons for you to keep revisiting the same three locations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I like berseria but it looks and plays like a ps2 game that got ported to ps3 10 years ago

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

Buying the PS4 port

This.
It also hilariously breaks chocobo hot and cold.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I used to love the GameTrailers (now Easy Allies) reviews, they were comprehensive and only a few minutes long and came off as being really professionally done, and I mostly agreed with their tastes.

I liked Giant Bomb quick looks because they usually gave me a good idea if I would enjoy the game or not, regardless of what the presenters thought of them. However lots of these now have a weird definition of 'quick' and can run into multiple hours.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Easy Allies reviews are still pretty short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3-FU2ZLvVo

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

MZ posted:

However lots of these now have a weird definition of 'quick' and can run into multiple hours.

:thejoke:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

MZ posted:

I liked Giant Bomb quick looks because they usually gave me a good idea if I would enjoy the game or not, regardless of what the presenters thought of them. However lots of these now have a weird definition of 'quick' and can run into multiple hours.

With most of their 1 hour+ quick looks, I just jump around and watch 4-5 minute segments to get a basic idea of everything.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I don’t really follow GB but I do watch the QLs sometimes when I’m trying to decide if I want to buy a game or not. That’s why I bought BLOPS4 and I’m glad I did.

Sefal posted:

FF14 is my longest time playing a ff game.
Tbf, it is an mmo.

FF9 with the speed cheat is really good. I mean, FF9 was already really good. Now it's just better.

Actually FF14 yeah, though I never got near end game or anything. I was a lot of fun.

I miss mmos. Still sad that my iMac can’t even install WoW anymore :cry: maybe I’ll find a free one to try on the PS4. I’ve played a few.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Red Dead Redemption 2

Spoiler for a mid-game-ish mission involving Angelo Bronte

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve0ayWUx9Hk

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
Yesterday I forgot to take the charger from the office, and my laptop had not batteries.

So I scratched around for something else to watch netflix while I play videogames.

I found the vita in a corner, cleaned the dust, installed the Twitch, Crunchyroll, Netflix, ....

The Youtube client is hilarious, because it seems depreted since 2015, so it just don't work. Twitch seems that it will work, but the channel I was trying to connect only showed a loading icon. Crunchyroll about the same, it shows a loading icon (For me, maybe it works for other people?).

Netflix I don't know, because I forgot the password, but I imagine it don't work either.

So my conclusion is if you are building a home theater, don't use the vita has the center of your build.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Imhotep posted:

Just started doing ki pulses last few times I played after every single time I was in combat, and looked up how to know if I got the ‘full’ pulse. And yeah I did the same thing with Souls where I didn’t use shields until 2/1 (beat both last but started in the order of B.B., 3, 2 and then 1, by 1 it was necessary.)

And drat I haven’t been blocking, just focusing on ki pulses

Thought about guns as I posted this haha, it’s true a headshot does kill everyone in one shot, idk why, just never been a ranged Souls player.

I have but I’ve stuck with like 2/3 types of weapons and have had most luck with a particular axe. I can’t say for sure because I need to reinstall it to check and it’s one of the largest games I own.

Also, I read something strange about the leveling system and what order you level up? Or something, I forgot, but it seemed like certain stats were useless and you could permanently gently caress up your character if you leveled up your dude the wrong way.

Sounds like you have a better grasp now. Yeah every character starts with good ranged, gotta block and ki pulse.

Not sure about loving yourself leveling. The weapons you pick determine what stats you want as a base (and they compliment eachother) so you pick 2 that level together and go. It could by like only leveling resistance in dark souls 1? Just know 'strength' isnt something to automatically level if you aren't doing axes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You cannot gently caress yourself up leveling in Nioh, respeccing is easy. You might be thinking of Dragon's Dogma or something.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Smirking_Serpent posted:

First off, I want to congratulate you on playing the game! It's one of my favorites, but it's very intimidating to newcomers. I don't blame you for asking for help.
(REmake snip)

Thanks for the huge helpful reply! I'm going to take another crack at it this week I think, I got a few hours in before I got distracted. I will say, I actually prefer the tank controls. Maybe it's from playing too much Silent Hill when I was a kid but I snap back into them pretty easily, and I get more annoyed by the screen-switching direction changes than I do the tank controls. My opinion is worthless anyway, I think the controls in Snake Eater are good.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Not gonna try to derail things too much with my constant broken PS4 news, but I thought I'd point out that the cost of a replacement PSU goes up with each revision.

Original version with touch-based buttons is like $20
The revision with proper physical buttons is closer to $30
The Slim is around $50
The PS4 Pro with the larger connector is over $100 and it may actually be cheaper to have Sony do it (it was in my case) depending on shipping costs etc.
The newer RDR2 PS4 Pro with the smaller figure-8 power connector doesn't seem to have PSU's available, but those systems are all under warranty still so just go through Sony for free.

Replacing a PSU requires removing the no-longer-legal warranty stickers but is otherwise dead easy as long as you have the right-size torx screwdriver, it's just a block you disconnect and reconnect.

The Canadian prices for PS4 repairs are around $100+tx for a fat PS4 and $150+tx for a PS4 Pro. This is regardless of issue but is subject to refusal if the damage is intentional or stems from irresponsibility. This does not include removal of the warranty stickers due to new FTC regulations, but does include modding, damage to the serial number label, consoles with live critters inside (dead might be OK?) and anything suggesting the console was horribly mishandled (excessive damage to the outside).

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I miss mmos. Still sad that my iMac can’t even install WoW anymore :cry: maybe I’ll find a free one to try on the PS4. I’ve played a few.

Dude, I miss MMOs too! I especially get nostalgic for WoW around the holidays, when all the towns would be festive/decorated for each holiday. I hear FFXIV is great, but I just haven't found the time to try it out. I even have ESO, but haven't got to it yet. WoW was awesome though.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Hakkesshu posted:

I agree, but I definitely see why they didn't, considering much like Aria, every enemy has its own unique ability that you can steal. Doing that with sprite art that looks good in 4k is not going to be feasible for a kickstarter game.

If they’d met their initial launch date they wouldn’t have had to worry about 4K!

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

There's always Runescape. I load it on my phone for a few minutes almost daily just to get my grind fix.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stop flipping my screen upside down Tetris I'm so close to getting 150 lines and you did it like three times in a row :negative:

e: Oh cool I can change controls now

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 5, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BisterdDave posted:

Dude, I miss MMOs too! I especially get nostalgic for WoW around the holidays, when all the towns would be festive/decorated for each holiday. I hear FFXIV is great, but I just haven't found the time to try it out. I even have ESO, but haven't got to it yet. WoW was awesome though.

Haha wow that’s the exact reason why I’m missing them right now. I have some memories of playing WoW late into the night around Christmas. Wandering around during holiday events was always one of my favorite things. I have these memories of when my grandma was alive (rip you wonderful badass woman) and staying over for Christmas. Getting to spend time with her and then playing WoW all night hanging out in the festive cities was wonderful. It was really nice and special. Funny how memories can stick around like that. I know people poo poo on them and whatnot but MMOs have always been so comforting for me. A big living world full of weird interesting people. If you look hard enough there’s always a community of likeminded people out there.

loudog999 posted:

There's always Runescape. I load it on my phone for a few minutes almost daily just to get my grind fix.

It’s tempting for the highschool nostalgia alone!

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s tempting for the highschool nostalgia alone!

I'm a little older so I was working third shift at a call center when I first started playing this. We didn't get any calls so I was basically being paid to grind in Runescape for about a year. It takes me right back there.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Nioh advice coming from soulsborne:

Axe is very simple and very basic. Stay in mid stance, don't mess with many skills, and just do the basic attack combo.

The reason I suggest this is that nioh is crazy hard the first few levels + bosses. It's very obtuse, there's tons of poo poo going on, and a lot to remember.

Axe is one of the only weapons that won't bounce from a blocking enemy, so you can just burn down opponent stamina if they're turtling (red phantoms love to do this). It's definitely less flashy and interesting but you can learn enemies easier and then branch out into crazier weapons and skills later. Respeccing is crazy easy to do

The mandatory skills are the ki pulse ones (I think there one per stance?) And ki pulse on dodge. Keep the stamina coming. Also axe obliterates the training dojo quest guys, and those give you lots of skill points.

The other thing is that normal enemies, be they human or Yokai, do absolutely insane damage compared to bosses. I don't know why this is but you have to be careful and block a lot early until you know what to expect.

Halfway through the game you'll realize that the combat is actually the best of any 3rd person action rpg game, even more so than bb. Everything is viable including the two types of magic. It's really great if you stick it out!

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 5, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Laidlaw landed at Ubisoft. Makes sense with the direction AC has been taking.

https://twitter.com/mike_laidlaw/status/1070316905922203650?s=21

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Someone at work wrapping christmas presents and I spotted a PS4 cover out the corner of my eye so asked what they'd got.

Them: Star Wars Battlefront 2 for my nephew... he likes Star Wars and has a playstation so I hope he likes this
Me: :whitewater:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Gravy Jones posted:

Someone at work wrapping christmas presents and I spotted a PS4 cover out the corner of my eye so asked what they'd got.

Them: Star Wars Battlefront 2 for my nephew... he likes Star Wars and has a playstation so I hope he likes this

Not everyone is a super sperg, and chances are he'll like the game just fine.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you're choosing gifts based on "he likes star wars" that nephew is probably 12 at best and he's going to have an absolute blast with it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That seems like a great gift. Don’t worry about it.

loudog999 posted:

I'm a little older so I was working third shift at a call center when I first started playing this. We didn't get any calls so I was basically being paid to grind in Runescape for about a year. It takes me right back there.

Runescape: The ultimate game for ignoring what you’re supposed to be doing.

Rinkles posted:

Laidlaw landed at Ubisoft. Makes sense with the direction AC has been taking.

https://twitter.com/mike_laidlaw/status/1070316905922203650?s=21

This is the best news! It really is a perfect fit with the evolution of AC.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m glad to see RDR2 has stranger missions that are as fun as in the original.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Gravy Jones posted:

That's when you said "Cool, I'm sure he'll love it!" Right?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

FlamingLiberal posted:

I like them even more. They really leaned into the weirdness and fleshed out the characters in a great way.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I mean for all of Battlefront 2’s faults “not being Star Wars” isn’t one of them. The sound design alone is enough to almost make me forget I’m a jaded 30+ year old nerd who hates everything.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Mr E posted:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYyuo7gm-aQ

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Some of them are even more fun than main missions. I always do as many as I can before returning to the main stuff.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kilometers Davis posted:

The longest I’ve ever played into a FF was FF13 and I only made it like 10 hours in. It’s definitely one of my gaming blind spots.

You should at least finish the tutorial section.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Mr E posted:

It was either that or "at least it's not Fallout '76" (and of course the former, I'm not a monster). Hopefully he likes it, my kid still enjoys the space combat stuff in the first one. Although making fun of EA is a thing for him and his friends at the moment despite the fact they're too young to be particularly online or have any idea why they're making fun of EA.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
https://youtu.be/KKseXjx_668

Looks like a new(?) Far Cry game will be revealed tomorrow. The setting looks like it might pull assets from FC5, but that weapon at the end looks awesome!

Edit: according to Jason Schreier, it's a post-apocalyptic spinoff.

BisterdDave fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 5, 2018

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Far Cry76

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Far Cry 6: Cry Farther

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Wait

Only the launch PS4s have those lovely "touch" power/eject disc buttons and all the revisions that have physical, pressable buttons?????????????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

Wait

Only the launch PS4s have those lovely "touch" power/eject disc buttons and all the revisions that have physical, pressable buttons?????????????

I'm using "launch" somewhat generously. There was a later revision of the "original look" PS4 where the panel covering the hard drive is matte instead of glossy (in other words, the entire console has the same matte finish). This version has actual proper physical buttons, they have to actually be pushed for power/eject. I think it was like 18 months-ish after launch or thereabouts that they launched that revision? CUH-1215 is the model number at least in North America. It's the one I have and from late 2015, the bundle that came with Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection.