Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008

Thanks for posting, sorry if I was being a groggy grognard earlier. Historically since the 60s, CO2 concentrations have increased from 300 to 400 ppm, IIRC. They compare 500, near what we have right now, to concentrations nearly double or triple that to show declines in cognitive functioning, which would take a few centuries at current rates. Thankfully, I suspect society will have crumbled out from the other effects of global warming before it starts making us dumber. That being said, I'm really impressed that even that sort of atmospheric change is able to effect our internal acid base homeostasis. We've gotten pretty good at dealing with high CO2s such as... when you hold your breath for a 10 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

ewiley posted:

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1070317124491534341
USPOL Winter: this is not a funeral, this a day of celebration

This is also not a tweet written by Donny Goodbrains. It's way too eloquent.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

fishing with the fam posted:

Don't forget the respectability think pieces that have to be dropped during those cycles!

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1070079566050418688

Yeah that's some loving galaxy brain poo poo right there. In what universe is rump "toned-down" now or ever? What in the gently caress is it that makes the simpleton who wrote this trash think so?

EDIT

quote:

But, for the moment, even some of President Donald Trump's toughest critics are taking note of a shift in his behavior — from reliably disruptive to seemingly disciplined.

That's been especially evident since he departed Washington for the G-20 summit in Buenos Aires last week, where he gave a public cold shoulder to Russian President Vladimir Putin and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman, signed a trade deal with Mexico and Canada, canceled a press conference so as not to distract from the mourning of President George H.W. Bush and pulled back from his trade war with China.

Uhhhh...

quote:

where he gave a public cold shoulder to Russian President Vladimir Putin

He acted like a spurned girlfriend while Putin and MBS yukked it up.

quote:

signed a trade deal with Mexico and Canada

He displayed his brainworms by signing in the wrong place.

quote:

canceled a press conference so as not to distract from the mourning of President George H.W. Bush

He acted like he deserved a loving medal for doing it too, hardly "toned-down."

quote:

pulled back from his trade war with China

He straight up made up a "deal" that no one knows about the Xi says he never agreed to, that exists only in Trump's smooth brain.

Let's not forget the "get me out of here" incident.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 5, 2018

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

ewiley posted:

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1070317124491534341
USPOL Winter: this is not a funeral, this a day of celebration

Honestly, this is one of the very few Trump tweets I don't have an issue with and I understand the sentiment. Whether I believe he means it is another thing, however.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sounds like Wisconsin GOP shoved through that bill to screw over the incoming governor in the middle of the night

Yup 3 am.

At this point it's clear there are no "good" Republicans and anyone suggesting otherwise or talks about reaching across the aisle is absolutely complicit since any semblence of plausible deniability is gone.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Barry Foster posted:

I never watched the footage because I was in an internet-less field at the time and I didn't want to watch it afterwards cause I don't like seeing people die, but when I was watching BlackkKlansman a couple days back it was at the end of the film.

It was sickening, and I had to take a walk afterwards because I was so angry. So I second this. May that nazi scum never experience a moment's happiness for the rest of his miserable life.

The end to Blackkklansman is a real gut punch. It was a great idea by Lee to include that footage at the end. You spend 2 hours watching the fictionalized version of real events, and laughing at the idiot klansman where appropriate. Then BAM, the real footage of the real consequences of that ideology cuts to the bone.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah that's some loving galaxy brain poo poo right there. In what universe is rump "toned-down" now or ever? What in the gently caress is it that makes the simpleton who wrote this trash think so?

They desperately want he to be a "normal" President.

The bar is so low he'll get praise for not dumping the casket and calling Jeb! a failure.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Guze posted:

The bar is so low he'll get praise for not dumping the casket and calling Jeb! a failure.

lovely City on a Hill

Cantalot

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Barron is ageing in president-years.

https://twitter.com/MichaelDelauzon/status/1066862710678114304

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/MikeDrucker/status/1070328175337578496

my av has never felt more appropriate

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Guze posted:

This. We may not have "fake media" but what we do have is a media apparatus so loving shell-shocked by the events of the last two years that they are desperately trying to cling to any shred of normalcy that they can perceive in the hopes that gravity will reassert itself. So when Trump goes two hours without hooting like a baboon and throwing feces at other world leaders, they immediately publish hot takes like that one from NBC earlier--a take, incidentally, which is not only hilariously short-sighted given the events of the last two years, it's also a loving bald-faced lie. He's been making GBS threads himself on Twitter every day even with Bush 41 dead, and if NBC had bothered to check his Twitter feed maybe the piece would have died on the editor's desk.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Guze posted:

Yeah....

quote:

"He’s pitching a great game right now," said Sean Spicer, Trump's former White House communications director. "The last six, seven, eight days have been the best string of days in his administration."

:thunk:

quote:

Susan Rice, the former national security adviser to President Barack Obama and no fan of his successor, took to the pages of the New York Times Tuesday to note the president's performance in Buenos Aires. It wasn't exactly praise. Then again, it wasn't criticism, either: "News Flash: No Major Damage Done at G-20!" screamed the headline.

:stonklol:

quote:

She had expected him to do what he normally does, she said — to infuriate allies, embolden adversaries and generally embarrass the U.S. on the international stage. Instead, she was pleasantly surprised.

"With Mr. Trump back on American soil, we can safely conclude that, at least this time, we dodged another blow to our national honor, even as we have surrendered our global leadership and become mostly a global bystander," she wrote. "We can only hope that Mr. Trump and his top advisers will now discern that less is more when it comes to this president’s travels abroad."

Those are some low standards indeed!

quote:

Despite the widely anticipated wave of mass firings that was expected to follow the election, he has so far kept his White House staff and Cabinet largely intact, with former Attorney General Jeff Sessions, a longtime irritant to the president, the only major player who has been discarded in the month since Election Day.

:psyduck:

So, now Sessions being fired and replaced with a stooge for Trump is "well, he only fired ONE person, that's not a big deal right" after only a few weeks? That's damned impressive memory holing!

gently caress this country to death, JFC. Burn it all down.

EDIT

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

This. We may not have "fake media" but what we do have is a media apparatus so loving shell-shocked by the events of the last two years that they are desperately trying to cling to any shred of normalcy that they can perceive in the hopes that gravity will reassert itself. So when Trump goes two hours without hooting like a baboon and throwing feces at other world leaders, they immediately publish hot takes like that one from NBC earlier--a take, incidentally, which is not only hilariously short-sighted given the events of the last two years, it's also a loving bald-faced lie. He's been making GBS threads himself on Twitter every day even with Bush 41 dead, and if NBC had bothered to check his Twitter feed maybe the piece would have died on the editor's desk.

No, it's even worse than that! They know about it, they just handwave it away!

quote:

Of course, there are clear exceptions to the trend — one big one in particular.

The president has escalated his Twitter attacks on special counsel Robert Mueller's Russia probe, which he calls a witch hunt, particularly in the wake of former Trump fixer Michael Cohen pleading guilty to lying to Congress about efforts to build a real-estate development in Moscow while Trump was campaigning for the presidency in 2016.

Still, while Trump has given no indication that he wants to be a "normal" president — after all, his entire political persona is built on the opposite approach — for the past few days, that appears to have been his approach to the job.

Twitter Trump remains impulsive, fiery and always spoiling for a fight. But especially over the past week or so, the non-virtual version has been downright traditional in his approach to foreign and domestic policy, both in substance and style.

VH4Ever fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 5, 2018

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
This Ain't A Funeral, It's An Arms Race

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I AM SELLING DRUGS AND ARMS OVER HIS CORPSE JUST LIKE HE'D WANT ME TOO.

They couldn't have let Trump carry the coffin. He doesn't have the arm strength to lift a hamburger, let alone a old dead dude.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Here’s the thing: the second they play the national anthem he’s going to do that stupid sway dance. At a funeral.

You know the one.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
So Wisconsin is screwed for a while now. Are there any litigation efforts or other grassroots organizing going on to try to fight what the GOP did?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I was reading an article last year that posited that the CO2 concentrations in the global atmosphere have actually made the entire population SLIGHTLY dumber.

Atmospheric CO2 concentrations aren't high enough to affect human cognition. You'd need atmospheric CO2 to be at around 1000ppm, and if we get to that point we are so hilariously hosed as a civilization that it's probably a good thing we'll be too stupid to understand what's going on. Emissions that lead to a 4.0C rise by the end of the century will still probably only mean atmospheric concentrations of around 800ish ppm.

The main finding of the study that you're talking about was that cognition is affected at lower concentrations than previously thought, and you can potentially find those concentrations in enclosed spaces like cars or buildings since roughly 1000ppm was considered to be safe. So basically expect rich people to start installing CO2 scrubbers in spaces that they have to occupy sooner or later.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

quote:

"He’s pitching a great game right now," said Sean Spicer, Trump's former White House communications director. "The last six, seven, eight days have been the best string of days in his administration."

Jesus Christ even Spicer is a victim to Trump's time dilation effect

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/1070331063937978369

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
The lame duck session is a dumb idea that needs to be abolished

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

HappyHippo posted:

I agree
https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1070329911166943232

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Paradoxish posted:

The main finding of the study that you're talking about was that cognition is affected at lower concentrations than previously thought, and you can potentially find those concentrations in enclosed spaces like cars or buildings since roughly 1000ppm was considered to be safe. So basically expect rich people to start installing CO2 scrubbers in spaces that they have to occupy sooner or later.

Exploiting rich people anxiety about the personal impact of climate change is the money-making opportunity of the 21st century.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Wisconsin needs to loving riot.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The source was John Barron

Zophar posted:

I am curious how many violent instances of extremely shady legislators being dragged from session by a mob by protestors and brutalized it would take before they would start second-thinking this poo poo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Nocturtle posted:

Exploiting rich people anxiety about the personal impact of climate change is the money-making opportunity of the 21st century.

Maybe, but they'd kind of have a point here. If rich kids got to go to school in CO2 scrubbed buildings and go back to CO2 scrubbed homes in CO2 scrubbed cars that'd probably add some tiny but measurable advantage to all of the other advantages they already have.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HappyHippo posted:

https://twitter.com/Ugarles/status/1064630161046413316

I am curious how many violent instances of extremely shady legislators being dragged from session by a mob by protestors and brutalized it would take before they would start second-thinking this poo poo

these people have meltdowns over someone being asked politely to leave a restaurant, it wouldn't take much.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

This might be one grudge that stays buried, waka waka waka

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Zophar posted:

It's a wonder they haven't between this poo poo and the abortion of a season the Packers are having.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

HappyHippo posted:

Yeah, we need to move to the UK-style “as soon as you lose, they change the locks and you can find your personal poo poo outside in a box” transitions. The GOP is gonna get away with this poo poo in WI and they’ll keep doing the same thing to every state, county and city post where they lose control.

Literally sabotaging society and government to fail when you lose your post (so your team can bitch out the winners and blame them for said ails in the next election) should be punished with lifetime prison sentences in super-max style federal penitentiaries, with zero chance for parole. They’re taking anti-democratic measures meant to ruin peoples’ lives and livelihoods as a way to get back at the people who voted against them, which is like the rich white guy’s version of a poor white guy gunning down concert goers for not giving them special attention for being white and male.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Considering nothing Trump says is ever true, I’m betting Xi never agreed to this and Trump just thinks he did

China already executes drug dealers and is pretty drat close to what Duterte is doing, they're just more discreet about it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Paradoxish posted:

Maybe, but they'd kind of have a point here. If rich kids got to go to school in CO2 scrubbed buildings and go back to CO2 scrubbed homes in CO2 scrubbed cars that'd probably add some tiny but measurable advantage to all of the other advantages they already have.

I'd be OK with a generation of rich people who cannot step outside of carefully controlled environments without horrendous breathing complications.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I was reading an article last year that posited that the CO2 concentrations in the global atmosphere have actually made the entire population SLIGHTLY dumber.

Here's the same pic of Hamilton for my pet tax because gently caress y'all for giving it no love last time

This is a badass cat. (You should get the ability to use PMs)

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Zophar posted:

Can't wait for them to go Red again in 2020.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

This Ain't A Funeral, It's An Arms Race

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Koalas Massacre posted:

they want to loving kill people and shocker, yall other whites aren't loving safe either

This is pretty insulting. Some of us come from literal nazi killing tank driving hero grandparents and we know *just* as well as you do what they are.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Crows Turn Off posted:

Can't wait for them to go Red again in 2020.

I love my state and I'll die here, but there are some really loving stupid assholes in this state.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

i am harry posted:

This is pretty insulting. Some of us come from literal nazi killing tank driving hero grandparents and we know *just* as well as you do what they are.

Get off the internet and go back to selling propane

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Koalas Massacre posted:

Get off the internet and go back to selling propane

I'm a British tattooer in Denver. :confused:

My French grandmother watched jackboots pass her front door in Alsasce. On the other side of my family, English my grandfather got in a tank and drove it over the skulls of the nazis you think some of us don't realize are a threat. Then he came home and married my other grandmother infront of the ruins of buildings destroyed by the Luftwaffe.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 5, 2018

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ogmius815 posted:

Jesus Christ I hate Ross Douthat.

Same.

eke out posted:

this is really dumb imo

you can make lots of things fit into these blanks, and "President Donald J. Trump Criminal Investigation" doesn't even make sense, that's not how these people write. also the first sample is on a full justified line and the second part isn't so spacing would be different, etc

About the best you can do is a rough guess, but the method in the tweet isn't even good for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

i am harry posted:

Well, to be fair, Americans have washed the KKK and their breed of homegrown fascists of any animus towards other Caucasian groups like Catholics, the Irish, Polish, Italians, everyone in existence and reframed their historical context as only hating brown people. I suspect a significant portion of the electorate has no idea that the KKK targeted white people(they reeeeeally hated the Catholics) as much as they targeted black people. In short, if you are "other" in these cretins eyes, then you have always been a target. American Textbooks are written in a way that really undercuts this and that does an injustice to fighting fascists because it leaves people with an out because "they aren't being targeted."