Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

Nobody has a job in 7.

This is also literally true, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Reeve is definitely employed.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Tifa works at a bar, remember

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bongo Bill posted:

This is also literally true, I think

no the manual says red xiii's job is beast

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Paperhouse posted:

That may be the case at the start of the game, but IIRC at some point physical attacks from most characters will start to do more damage than the magic you have available unless you've been grinding a lot or got some sick enemy skills. It does also depend on your materia set up. Like Xad said it's an easy enough game so just do what you like. Getting the really good magic/summons always seemed too time consuming for me so I usually end the game using a lot of physical attacks (you get some really good materia that enhances them towards the end of the game)

The thing that brings physical attacks up is the ability to hit multiple times.

That's when you get Doublecast, Double Summon, and Quadmagic. :getin:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

Tifa works at a bar, remember

She left a 4-year-old in charge of it and then it got crushed though.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Terrorist doesn't count as a job?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

Terrorist doesn't count as a job?

Does it pay?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Does it pay?

When you take over oil fields it does!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

The Dregs posted:

I am playing ff7 for the first time and I have some questions. I just finished the motorcycle battle.

Since magic does more damage than physical damage, and I always seem to have enough MP through ether and rest, should I just spam it all the time? That's what I've been doing.

Can I screw my game up to unplayability without realizing it?

Are there any materia that I really need? In just discovered that cure+all makes the game A LOT EASIER.

Magic is gonna be better for most of the game purely because you don't actually have any of the materia that improve physical attacks, like Deathblow, 2x Cut or Added Effect. You can start doing some funky physical damage poo poo with Tifa and Vincent on disc 1, but that's because they have particular weapons which allow for it(Tifa has Powersoul which can get ridiculous stacking physical damage multipliers and Vincent has the Long Barrel Revolver which has perfect accuracy so you can get guaranteed crits out of Deathblow). Other than that magic/summons are going to be king until the endgame when you can start spamming 4x cut and limits at stuff, and magic falls off because it's all single hit except KOTR which is a pain in the rear end to get.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

Reeve is definitely employed.

Tifa is a bartender
Reeve is a corporate executive
Aeristh is a florist
Barret is a small business owner
Cid is a pilot
Yuffie and Red XIII are minors and thus dependent and not expected to be employed, although Yuffie briefly gets a job clerking for a materia store in Costa del Sol

so that's most of the party gainfully employed or otherwise not unemployed

vincent and cloud of course are homeless veterans with untreated mental illnesses from their time in the military, a sad but altogether too common story

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Aerix is not a florist. She "sells flowers". In seedy back alleys. In the poor and ghetto parts of town. For 1 gil.

EDIT: Basically what I'm saying is AerX isn't a florist because her business sense is awful and she makes terrible economic decisions. Any for profit business or job she tries to hold down will immediately bankrupt.

Gologle fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 5, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Bongo Bill posted:

Does it pay?

hell yes it does barret gives you 3000 gil for blowing up the reactor at the beginning of the game :d2a:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Forget VII, does anybody have an actual job in FFIX? I really don't think so. I guess Steiner and...that's it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
aside from being a thief, zidane is a professional actor. freya is employed by the burmecian crown. amarant is a killer-for-hire

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

NikkolasKing posted:

Forget VII, does anybody have an actual job in FFIX? I really don't think so. I guess Steiner and...that's it.

dagger doesnt need a job because shes a parasite on society (royal)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

dagger doesnt need a job because shes a parasite on society (royal)

Same for Eiko (child)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Also Quina is a chef. Amarant is a mercenary.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vivi is a fertilizer

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Barudak posted:

Vivi is a fertilizer

black mage corpses don't decay

he's a lawn ornament

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/12/04/final-fantasy-xv-a-new-empire-made-about-1-million-a-day-in-november-2018/

help me with my budget this companion game for ffxv made 485 million in the last year but i still had to cancel all the promised dlc which would have cost a fraction of that to make

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I mean, it was cancelled because the director left the studio, not because of financial concerns.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Relin posted:

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/12/04/final-fantasy-xv-a-new-empire-made-about-1-million-a-day-in-november-2018/

help me with my budget this companion game for ffxv made 485 million in the last year but i still had to cancel all the promised dlc which would have cost a fraction of that to make

Make more mobile phone final fantasy spinoffs instead of DLC.

Genuinely, Im pretty sure SE is entering a point where mainline titles exist to create emotional connections for whales to blow more money on stuff in their mobile games. 5 year, hundred million dollar single player advertisements for next years gatcha pack

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gologle posted:

Aerix is not a florist. She "sells flowers". In seedy back alleys. In the poor and ghetto parts of town. For 1 gil.

EDIT: Basically what I'm saying is AerX isn't a florist because her business sense is awful and she makes terrible economic decisions. Any for profit business or job she tries to hold down will immediately bankrupt.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF5 has a 4/5 jobless rating, and Faris's "job" is arguable depending on what you call "pirate captain". Bartz is literally a freaking hobo.

FF4 is not much better. Cecil, Kain, Rosa, and Yang are all employed in the military, Cid's admittedly a high-level engineer, and everyone else is either a child, royalty, retired, or a moon hermit.

Actually, who has the most respectable jobs of all the FF characters? Both Cids certainly have some drat impressive resumes, with Highwind having the edge due to making a god drat spaceship.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Yeti is a difficult job, show some damned respect

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
you know theres more than 2 cids in the series right

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mean, to be fair to the structure of an adventure story its hard to be any job beyond "ex-something".

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Barudak posted:

I mean, to be fair to the structure of an adventure story its hard to be any job beyond "ex-something".

Or a high school student, apparently.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Mega64 posted:

FF5 has a 4/5 jobless rating, and Faris's "job" is arguable depending on what you call "pirate captain". Bartz is literally a freaking hobo.

FF4 is not much better. Cecil, Kain, Rosa, and Yang are all employed in the military, Cid's admittedly a high-level engineer, and everyone else is either a child, royalty, retired, or a moon hermit.

Actually, who has the most respectable jobs of all the FF characters? Both Cids certainly have some drat impressive resumes, with Highwind having the edge due to making a god drat spaceship.

Pro Athlete, Pilgrim, Bodyguard, Bodyguard, Bodyguard, Ruin Salvager, Bodyguard

Barudak
May 7, 2007

12 is what, ex-Royal, ex-General, Thief, Thief, Urchin, Urchin?
13 is ex-special forces, ex-pilot, child, terrorist, communism, communism

WaltherFeng posted:

Or a high school student, apparently.

Well yeah, thats a non-job category along with being a royal or wanderer.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Five out of six in 8 are professional mercenaries.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

FF6: Soldier, Hunter (treasure), King/Engineer, Martial Artist/Hobo, Community Organizer, Feral child, Assassin, General, Royal guard, Gambler, Artist in residence, Hunter (monsters), Imperial Scientist, Breakdancer, Sasquatch, Jack of all trades

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The 14 WoL has the most impressive resume being the world's best miner, gardener, fisher, alchemist, seamstress, carpenter, blacksmith, armorsmith, leatherworker, goldsmith, chef, chocobo jockey, triple triad player, street performer, treasure hunter, ...

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Saint Freak posted:

triple triad player,

Not according to those biweekly tournament boards, I'm not. :negative:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gologle posted:

you know theres more than 2 cids in the series right

They're actually all the same person, moving extremely fast.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

melodicwaffle posted:

Not according to those biweekly tournament boards, I'm not. :negative:

Play Verminion, I won the last tournament :dance:

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Every single playable character in Type-0 is employed. :v:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Barudak posted:

Make more mobile phone final fantasy spinoffs instead of DLC.

Genuinely, Im pretty sure SE is entering a point where mainline titles exist to create emotional connections for whales to blow more money on stuff in their mobile games. 5 year, hundred million dollar single player advertisements for next years gatcha pack
I just wish Square was entering a point where mainline titles exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Assuming we mean gainfully employed, and not "employed" as in "involved with others in working towards a common goal" because then everyone would be employed...

FFI: Unemployed hobos.
FFII: Leon was part of the Imperial military for a while, working as a Dark Knight and engineer for Palamecia until he joins you. Nobody else has a job.
FFIII: Unemployed children.
FFIV: Cecil, Kain, and Yang are all important members of their respective nations' military. Cid is an engineer. Rosa, Edward and Edge are royalty, and thus jobless. Everyone else is either too old or too young to work.
FFV: Unemployed hobos, unless "being a pirate" counts for Faris. (it doesn't)
FFVI: Shadow is a mercenary. Celes belonged to the Imperial military until shortly before you meet her. Cyan was a royal retainer. Setzer was a professional gambler. No one else has a job, unless you count Terra's stint as a mind-controlled war machine. Edgar dabbles in engineering, but he's a royal, so he's doing that on his citizens' dime.
FFVII: Cloud was a Shin-Ra grunt before becoming a mercenary. Tifa owned and ran a bar. Aerith tended and sold flowers. Cait Sith is actually Reeve, head of Shin-Ra's Department of Urban Development. Cid is once again an engineer, working for Shin-Ra seemingly right up until he joins you (though it seems like they don't often ask him for anything anymore). Vincent has been sleeping in the Shin-Ra Mansion basement long enough that I don't think he qualifies as having been recently employed. Yuffie and Red are both children.
FFVIII: Rinoa is the spoiled daughter of a military figure, everyone else is a student. However, the students are paid for their work according to their perceived aptitude, so I suppose that qualifies everyone else as being employed.
FFIX: Zidane was one of the lead actors in a theater troupe. Steiner is the head of a wing of the military (albeit a small one that most people view as a joke). Amarant is a professional assassin. Garnet is royalty, Freya is a hobo, Quina is... whatever the heck they are, and Vivi and Eiko are children.
FFX: Tidus and Wakka are pro athletes. Everyone else is unemployed.
FFXII: Penelo works for Migelo at his sundries store; Vaan does odd jobs for the guy but isn't actually employed, and seemingly makes what little money he has as a petty criminal. Ashe is a princess, Fran and Balthier are pirates, and Basch is a prisoner. One employed person in the whole game.
FFXIII: Lightning was essentially a police officer until very shortly before the game begins. Same with Sazh having been an airship pilot. Hope is a child, and Vanille, Fang and especially Snow are unemployed.
FFXV: Noctis is royalty. Ignis is his retainer and Gladio his bodyguard. Prompto is a mooch.