Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Cool, the most evil thing imaginable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/ashk4n/status/1070349123516170240?s=21

cool, a tech concept once used to summon help for injured firefighters is being used as a slave whip

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Think of it like a....*snaps fingers* a social credit score.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

bag em and tag em posted:

Pennywise is just keeping with the times

we all hover down here

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's like those old documents from 17th century plantations calculating exactly how brutally to work the slaves so that they get the maximum output with the minimum investment so they all die at a rate which they can be easily replaced.

Smartphone planned obsolescence, but instead of avoiding having to upgrade and patch existing systems, you're minimizing expenditures on food, reducing equipment lethality, and disposal of aging slaves.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Also it's literally the beginning of the manna short story

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

ikanreed posted:

Also it's literally the beginning of the manna short story

I think about that story all the time. We are walking right into the bad half of the story, it was always inevitable.

I spoke with Marshall Brain about that story on a call in show a few years ago and he said he saw it happening all around us.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
im so glad that the machine learning and ai are fixing all of the problems the algorithms caused

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

support the troops!

quote:

Were there a lot of US vets working at your facility?

Yes, it’s a pretty typical thing for Amazon. It’s easy for Amazon to hire us because they know vets are willing to shut up and cooperate. In my opinion, Amazon is preying on the work-life balance issue that the military has, and feeds off the rigid order the Army teaches. The military is known for being a bastion of sexism, but I had a worse experience at Amazon. It’s way more cutthroat.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this is cyberpunk as gently caress

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1070440678818164736

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
The place where I work has developed their own variation of this software used internally. It ranks workers based on how likely they are to steal data, leak secrets, or consider changing jobs. Data is collected from social media, LinkedIn, internal emails, even financial records (having debt increases your risk). Any publicly available data could potentially be used. The system is used to make decisions about who should be assigned to do work.

I have a genderqueer coworker who is the only person to not have backlogged work and I assume it's because ~the algorithm~ says they're too risky.

It's minority report but less obvious.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

The company is always watching :)

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Dead Beef posted:

The place where I work has developed their own variation of this software used internally. It ranks workers based on how likely they are to steal data, leak secrets, or consider changing jobs. Data is collected from social media, LinkedIn, internal emails, even financial records (having debt increases your risk). Any publicly available data could potentially be used. The system is used to make decisions about who should be assigned to do work.

I have a genderqueer coworker who is the only person to not have backlogged work and I assume it's because ~the algorithm~ says they're too risky.

“considering changing jobs? how dare you! only I decide when it’s time for you to change jobs!”

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Phone posted:

im so glad that the machine learning and ai are fixing all of the problems the algorithms caused

the business unit I work in at my company did a webcast today where the senior exec kept referring to data as "the new oil" and then extended his stupid metaphor to talk about how we "refine the data/oil".

of course he was also hot for ML and how it will transform our business.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Dead Beef posted:

Lol that a side effect is loading Good Company People up with more work

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's like those old documents from 17th century plantations calculating exactly how brutally to work the slaves so that they get the maximum output with the minimum investment so they all die at a rate which they can be easily replaced.

I wanna read those. Do you have a link?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
another hot quote from that webcast was the guy going "once we commercialize it, how do we militarize it?"

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

“Election season is always the worst too, 2020 will be another poo poo show.” A third user added, “In this company, if you tell the truth, you are dead.”

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the perfect worker is the one who does the least possible amount of work while not being fired

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Dead Beef posted:

when I was working as a VC I was pitched a company building exactly this, and I could not get them out of my office fast enough

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Subjunctive posted:

when I was working as a VC I was pitched a company building exactly this, and I could not get them out of my office fast enough
Any more nightmare pitches?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SardonicTyrant posted:

Any more nightmare pitches?

ad block arms race a few times, autonomous cooking, something that would rate a company’s founders for investment based on <50 words of social media content, blockchain for real estate, blockchain for everything else

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

something that would rate a company’s founders for investment based on <50 words of social media content

seems easy to implement. Put in a lot of smoke and mirrors to conceal it just says 'no' if it sees blockchain anywhere.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tunicate posted:

seems easy to implement. Put in a lot of smoke and mirrors to conceal it just says 'no' if it sees blockchain anywhere.

you will be surprised, I’m sure, to learn that the tool rated the pitching founders quite highly indeed

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Did it rate for the quantity of smoke blowing out their rear end, or the quality?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

proprietary, they didn’t say

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

create a seed from the social media data scraped, generate a random number for output, bingo bongo simple

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
create a service for super rich people that allows them to actually delete themselves from the internet so nobody knows they exist

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

then delete them from real life instead

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Krankenstyle posted:

then delete them from real life instead

:qq: Class warfare! :qq:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Dead Beef posted:

create a service for super rich people that allows them to actually delete themselves from the internet so nobody knows they exist

pretty sure that exists

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Peanut President posted:

pretty sure that exists

it does it's called "reputation management"

also all the credit bureaus and whatnot have a VIP list where if you are rich or important you get actual service: https://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/15/your-money/credit-scores/15credit.html

quote:

The credit rating bureaus, whose reports influence everything from credit cards to mortgages to job offers, have a two-tiered system for resolving errors — one for the rich, the well-connected, the well-known and the powerful, and the other for everyone else.

The three major agencies, Equifax, Experian and TransUnion, keep a V.I.P. list of sorts, according to consumer lawyers and legal documents, consisting of celebrities, politicians, judges and other influential people. Those on the list — and they may not even realize they are on it — get special help from workers in the United States in fixing mistakes on their credit reports. Any errors are usually corrected immediately, one lawyer said.

For everyone else, disputes are herded into a largely automated system. Their complaints are often electronically ferried to a subcontractor overseas, where a worker spends, on average, about two minutes figuring out the gist of the matter, boiling it down to a one-to-three-digit computer code that signifies the problem — “account not his/hers,” for example — and sending a dispute form to the creditor to investigate. Many times, consumer advocates say, the investigation translates to a perfunctory check of its records

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 04:56 on Dec 6, 2018

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Peanut President posted:

pretty sure that exists
oh... I guess I'm not surprised now that I think about it

OK here's a pitch: since natural language processing has advanced greatly, we could create an AI system that automatically spins news by phrasing or presenting it in ways (or with images) which provoke the strongest desired response from the viewer based on social media analytics

so that everybody gets their own personalized presentation of news, optimized to manipulate behavior

Homocow has issued a correction as of 09:25 on Dec 6, 2018

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Dead Beef posted:

OK here's a pitch: since natural language processing has advanced greatly, we could create an AI system that automatically spins news by phrasing or presenting it in ways (or with images) which provoke the strongest desired response from the viewer based on social media analytics

so that everybody gets their own personalized presentation of news, optimized to manipulate behavior

oh god

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
that's basically google news as it currently exists, it just curates sources/ads/consumer data instead of altering content. which it could probably do with it's data set but for the moment does not

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dead Beef posted:

Theres zero chance that this doesn't exist

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dead Beef posted:

mirror all the news channels, use AI to replace all spoken words with random infant gaggles, spits, burps, and farts

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://breakermag.com/trapped-at-sea-with-cryptos-nouveau-riche/

quote:

I was told there would be an overall “Burning Man theme” to the adventure, guaranteed by the presence of Brock Pierce, the cryptocurrency mogul, former child actor, and one-man art installation about peer pressure. (More about him later.) I was anticipating evenings spent listening to crypto-hippies describe the angel-faced space elves they met when they took DMT. I was expecting to fetch water and painkillers for half-conscious corporate executives with dust in their perfect hair and no idea how to get home. I was expecting to get a bit carried away and end up shouting about the government and chalking poetry all over the walls. I was expecting to hear very rich men talk without blinking about tax planning and sacred geometry. I was expecting corporate-branded swimwear. I was expecting to meet smug Californian polyamorists, about whom smug European polyamorists like me are relentlessly judgy. Reader, all of these things transpired, but by the time they did they were a blessed relief.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

SardonicTyrant posted:

Think of it like a....*snaps fingers* a social credit score.
financial credit scores, criminal history, charging people felonies for protesting, employment history, and academic history IS NOTHING like the dystopian chinese social credit score!!!1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Brock pierce lol

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Entertainment_Network

quote:

In October 1999, a young man from New Jersey identified only as Jake W. filed a lawsuit alleging that Collins-Rector had sexually molested him for 3 years beginning in 1993 when he was 13-years-old[2][19]. The lawsuit was filed just prior to DEN's scheduled IPO, causing concern among potential investors[20] and leading to the resignations of Collins-Rector, Shackley, and Pierce, leaving Ritts in charge[2][21]. Additional lawsuits against all three resigned executives followed[22][23]. The controversy and turmoil caused by the allegations led DEN to withdrew its IPO and subsequently filed for bankruptcy.[16]

In 2014, Michael F. Egan III filed suit, alleging he was sexually assault by Goddard, Singer, Neuman, and Ancier at parties hosted by DEN executives[24][25][26][27] but the suits against Neuman and Ancier were dropped[28][29][30]. Ancier sued Egan and his attorneys[30], with the attorneys ultimately apologizing to Ancier and Neuman, saying the allegations were false.[31]