Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Sepist posted:

If you have enough APs and client support to disable 2.4 that's a good idea. Ideally you would :files: ekahau to do a predictive site survey and have some spare APs for post deployment active survey.

Enable UNII-2 and 2e bands. Disable channel 144 and 165 and enable 40mhz. That gives you sixteen 40mhz channels. Even with FRA you're golden.

Once you've validated coverage you can set TPC to 17dBm max and 5dBm minimum for 5ghz. Set 12mbps to mandatory, theres no real performance gain with 24mbps management frames as the minimum if your radio settings are right.

After that you can monitor your wireless and see what your maximum RSSI clients are. If you can keep them under -75dBm I would turn on RX-SOP high threshold so that your APs ignore your noisy neighborhood APs and transmit more often.

Make sure your corporate SSID WMM policy is set to platinum to take advantage of over the air QoS.

Edit: RIP files emoticon

Edit2: :filez: :filez: :filez: :filez:

Thanks--that seems like a solid strategy for channel usage. Dropping data rates I understand, but I was going to let the APs dynamically adjust transmit power. What's the purpose of these limits, to stop an AP from boosting power to keep a user leaving the coverage area connected?

Not familiar with RX-SOP, but it looks like what I was trying to accomplish with dropping lower data rates. I'll have to check worst-case connectivity for our environment when we put the APs up, but definitely something to consider. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wizard of the Deep posted:

You should quit being so awesome in your first few months, and save some of the miracles for right before your annual review.

The trick is to keep a C-Level's offenses on the back-burner for review time. Let them stew as everything else gets exposed.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The industry needs to work on a universally accepted email header entry that identifies the message as being sent from a helpdesk. Bonus points if it includes an HTTPS endpoint that the receiving mail server can POST to in the event of hitting a mailbox with an out-of-office set, rather than having to either parse the message and suspend the ticket until that date, or fill the timeline up with crap.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Contingency posted:

Thanks--that seems like a solid strategy for channel usage. Dropping data rates I understand, but I was going to let the APs dynamically adjust transmit power. What's the purpose of these limits, to stop an AP from boosting power to keep a user leaving the coverage area connected?

Not familiar with RX-SOP, but it looks like what I was trying to accomplish with dropping lower data rates. I'll have to check worst-case connectivity for our environment when we put the APs up, but definitely something to consider. Thanks!

Your audience (mobile devices) have nowhere near the transmit power of an AP. By keeping 5ghz down to 17dBm you're ensuring both the AP to client and client to AP communication continue to be bi-directional and if it exceeds that the client will roam appropriately.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
If you're using a Cisco WLC I'd let it do whatever it needs to automatically. Unless you're super high density and you've had a survey done with specific power settings, they should give you the settings they used and you can make a profile for that on the controller. I don't have the good links on me at the moment but there are loads of guides for the basic best config/best practices if you do some Googles. There's a couple of good ccie wireless blogs and a Cisco presentation on slide share.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
He really cant trust RRM to do everything automatically, there have been RRM bugs in every version of converged/unified wireless code. He definitely needs surveys since they have committed to a wireless office. I did mention that you can't just go and deploy all these settings without knowing what the RF landscape is

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled

Sepist posted:

He really cant trust RRM to do everything automatically, there have been RRM bugs in every version of converged/unified wireless code. He definitely needs surveys since they have committed to a wireless office. I did mention that you can't just go and deploy all these settings without knowing what the RF landscape is

This.

Controllers can also only do so much, I had previously contracted for a client that had manufacturing in one part, a warehouse, offices & a storefront in the same facilities which as much as groups and profiles help can't rely on the controller to regulate.

And the power level design advice is spot on. All environments are different. Warehouses will have different challenges than storefronts, office buildings etc. Building materials affect this as well. Brick walls vs drywall etc. Which ekahau is great for predictive modeling if you can import a cad drawing and know/fill in what the materials are made of can help.(still needs sanity checking by a person) but works very well. Scanners, phones, laptops or the "weakest link" device is what he should hopefully be designing for.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

At my last job, we had to relocate a series of WAPs which the previous IT team put in a virtual Faraday cage of warehouse racks for some reason.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
This Cisco live presentation has some funny AP deployment photos. As a bonus it includes a lot of great wifi info

https://ciscolive.cisco.com/on-demand-library/?search=Wireless#/session/1506627285894001xvgc

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I know there is good reason to maintain old user accounts in AD in a separate OU, but is there a good reason to maintain old computers?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Kashuno posted:

I know there is good reason to maintain old user accounts in AD in a separate OU, but is there a good reason to maintain old computers?

None

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Sickening posted:

No admins with power to look gave a poo poo about the waste or simply did not look.
Woo I can relate to this, in addition to having zero access to o365 at all!
Every single time the topic of disabling users/accounts comes up everyone squabbles about not understanding a thing about how the licensing/user system works, so they just end up churning more and more new accounts and leave everything as is (via a half finished script some ex-staff made time ago). So it gets treated like yet another mysterious tech monolith that everyone is scared to touch and just to leave it alone, seriously guys it's not that hard.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Kashuno posted:

They're perfect for 5250 sessions.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

That's what I thought. I've kept them forever because when I started in IT my boss kept them because...I don't know? Probably because his boss before him kept them? Going through our AD to clean it out a bit and wondered if I was missing some super obvious use case.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Kashuno posted:

I still don't agree there's a good reason to maintain old user accounts!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I'm inclined to agree with this. If there is some good edge case, I am yet to run into it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Auditing/tracing. Say you have a breach 6 months after an employee leaves, and you have to trace their AD permissions, events in your SIEM, etc. You would just have a useless SID remaining and no way to tie that to an account. Always disable and keep old user accounts until your legal/security advises it's safe to get rid of. My old company we kept them 5 years as per regulations.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Auditing/tracing. Say you have a breach 6 months after an employee leaves, and you have to trace their AD permissions, events in your SIEM, etc. You would just have a useless SID remaining and no way to tie that to an account. Always disable and keep old user accounts until your legal/security advises it's safe to get rid of. My old company we kept them 5 years as per regulations.

Just had a discussion about this with our security team yesterday. Our AD environment is 3/4 machines that haven't been seen for at least a month, 1/4 active machines.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I was assuming maintain to indicate 'keep active'. Disabling accounts is good.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah sorry, maintaining disabled accounts. People who leave are disabled and moved to an 'audit only' OU. Powershell good

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I was assuming maintain to indicate 'keep active'. Disabling accounts is good.

Oh sorry, I possibly misunderstood too. The accounts I'm talking about keeping should definitely be disabled or you're hosed haha

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
My org has a lot of seasonal/re-hired employees, so maintaining their disabled account ensures that all the AD-integrated services like our records management, financial, etc systems will all maintain full continuity of their activities.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Man I miss working for small companies. I had to submit a security review in order to run a proof of concept of a product, but the security review required a financial feasibility study to be submitted which itself required a security review.

Its security reviews all the way down. Security reviews take at least a month so I guess I can order the product in....march. lol

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

My boss is worried our new director is pushing him out. I’m inclined to agree. We’re trying to hire a network admin with junior voice experience to help backfill and the director comes in wanting some guy he worked with who’s a manager and former system/network/security Superman. Dude would be bored as gently caress. Surprise, after the interview the requisition is changing into a senior network admin. Something ain’t right here and it kinda sucks.

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Kashuno posted:

Quick sanity check: we have a Florida branch office. They have their only file server that has very little maintained on it, and most of what they do now is either cloud based via SharePoint or Teams, in a network drive in Boston, or based inside of our ERP which is in Boston anyway. Rather than having this office have it’s own physical infrastructure and servers I’m considering moving their small amount of files to our Boston office or even something cloud based (azure or AWS). Does that seem reasonable?

Azure Files is pretty nice imho. Basically just can mount it as a network drive.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

You can not take it as a given that the AD permissions for a disabled had not changed since the account was disabled. You can always restore the AD account from the last backup before it was deleted if you need to see what the permissions actually were when it was deleted.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

high six posted:

Azure Files is pretty nice imho. Basically just can mount it as a network drive.

Yeah I'm trying to migrate some of what we can to Azure as well. I know normally you don't migrate to the cloud to save money, but being able to remove all my infrastructure from a hurricane zone seems like it may save some money also?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

My company’s handed out awards this morning during a company wide meeting. None of the rewards were given to an employee under SVP in title despite it being advertised for everyone. Being a new employee this doesn’t paint a very good picture of the social awareness of the executive staff.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yikes yeah, it is not a good look for the org when it's like "wow everyone at the top is amazing and everyone below that is OK I guess"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Yikes yeah, it is not a good look for the org when it's like "wow everyone at the top is amazing and everyone below that is OK I guess"

Yes, it’s pretty bizarre. As if the 2nd highest paid employees in the company aren’t feeling valued enough.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the powershell script I wrote moves and disables the account after x amount of time of inactivity. No deletion.
There was one thing that kinda hosed with it a couple of years ago. Since i used the whenchanged attribute
turns out exchange uses the account even though it hasn't been logged in for 9 months. So for a while it didn't disable anyone.
That was a fun one to find out.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sickening posted:

Yes, it’s pretty bizarre. As if the 2nd highest paid employees in the company aren’t feeling valued enough.

Yeah, having a public circle jerk among the execs seems amazingly tone deaf. How loving insecure are you that as an SVP you need a round of applause and an Amazon gift card or whatever for results your subordinates delivered in the first place?

We do quarterly awards for various things and I can't think of a time one was given out above the line manager level, tops.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Sepist posted:

Man I miss working for small companies.
The mega media conglomerate we're a part of is having major problems at the moment (of which our side of the pond have been completely unscathed) and pretty much running around with their hair on fire throwing out hip fire solutions, one of their proposed solutions was to prevent the use of Powershell altogether.

Granted our boss has a lot of clout and will be cutting a lot of their control, I do yearn for the day of a small business where I can set things straight instead of being a peon.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Super Slash posted:

The mega media conglomerate we're a part of is having major problems at the moment (of which our side of the pond have been completely unscathed) and pretty much running around with their hair on fire throwing out hip fire solutions, one of their proposed solutions was to prevent the use of Powershell altogether.

Granted our boss has a lot of clout and will be cutting a lot of their control, I do yearn for the day of a small business where I can set things straight instead of being a peon.

I live in a megacorp that has powershell disabled for all but the chosen few. They also dont like that I'm using PDQ in my backwater arm of the org because it "used to scan a PC to find out what software is installed and used to install new software on PCs"

:ssh: you can run powershell through PSEXEC dont tell them.

Mute_Fish
Nov 9, 2009
I am currently going through our IT processes and trying to tighten things up and cut down on wasted time and I had an email question. Any one got any good recommendations for dealing with password protected attachments in emails? As a password protected file is encrypted our mail system can’t scan it for malicious content. We get a fair number of password protected PDF files and the like sent to us that our mail system can’t properly scan. The current work flow:
Email is quarantined.
Support guy checks with the user to find out the password for the attachment
They open the attachment on isolated VM and scan it.
They email an unencrypted version of the PDF through the mail system so it gets scanned (we use Mimecast for our mail filtering).
Assuming there are no flags they release it.
This process seems incurably time consuming for our support staff and I am not comfortable with them viewing these emails unless they have to. On the other hand I would rather not let attachments through unscanned as it effectively bypasses one layer of security. Just wondering how other people deal with this kind of thing.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

We are interviewing for a new director of our college division and apparently they have not been made aware of the fact that IT reports to them.

Also they're now talking about putting the IT group under a different person who actually has a vested interest in IT affairs here at the college.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I've been down at the main office this week.

Theres way way too much god drat food. I actually can't eat as often as everyone else tries to.

Help.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Vargatron posted:

We are interviewing for a new director of our college division and apparently they have not been made aware of the fact that IT reports to them.

Also they're now talking about putting the IT group under a different person who actually has a vested interest in IT affairs here at the college.

Hope this round of candidates all fall through and they can re-org before they hire your new Athletics Director, because higher ed leadership are literal toddlers who will throw a tantrum if anyone tries to touch their toys even if they didn't know they had them, how to use them, or any interest in managing them.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Methanar posted:

I've been down at the main office this week.

Theres way way too much god drat food. I actually can't eat as often as everyone else tries to.

Help.

Why isn't my office like this wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Kashuno posted:

Yeah I'm trying to migrate some of what we can to Azure as well. I know normally you don't migrate to the cloud to save money, but being able to remove all my infrastructure from a hurricane zone seems like it may save some money also?

Might want to look into Azure Site Recovery if you want to move entire VMs up to Azure. As long as you're careful and set it up correctly (Follow the documentation) it works pretty well. Can use it to either migrate entirely to Azure or set up DR so if Florida gets hit by a megastorm, can just run it in Azure temporarily until your offices aren't flooded anymore.