Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

BarbarianElephant posted:

While none of the "cool kids" want to deal with the issue because it would interfere with their edgy memes, murdering 3 million people (the 1%) wouldn't be Very Nice.

There are probably people in this forum who are the 1%, because their parents are rich or they lucked out with some tech startup or something.

Beyond the thing about the 1% being smaller then that, what the hell kind of line of arguing is this? I'm not going to be suddenly more sympathetic towards a group just because goons might be part of that group. Like there might be plenty of goons who have lived privileged lives, but it doesn't change the nature of the problems of privilege, and in this circumstance, the issues of wealth disparity on our society.

e:
Cat tax, my cat from a few years old post in the black cats thread since I don't have anything else on hand;

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/AshAgony/status/1070252788041613313

apparently the chud who killed heather heyer and hurt a ton more people, isnt very sorry.

He cant be let out of jail.

Its clear he literally wants to kill democrats and still wants to.

He is a “dangerously stupid” chud and he will be back behind the wheel if he ever gets out.

Put him in a hole. Use him as an example.

If you use your car to kill protestors, be ready for murder 1 charges.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Unormal posted:

Jesus loving christ was this literally like 10 pages of "actually obama (dems) bad"?
It's just the Usual Suspects playing some stuff off their upcoming more experimental album versus the Greatest Hits the audience was expecting.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Condiv posted:

what does healing divisions even mean in this context? what is it you're hoping for with "healing divisions"?

there are divisions in this country for a very good reason. there are people that want to do terrible things. as long as those people exist and are trying to use our government to tear apart families, kill black people with impunity, make sure women have to give birth to rape babies and pay for rape kits, etc. then those divisions are good

Well yea, it's apparent now that the Republican party is long past the point of having any good faith or intentions, and any negotiation would just be fruitless.

But there was a time where being able to get bipartisan support for meaningful change was a possibility.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

spunkshui posted:

He cant be let out of jail.

Its clear he literally wants to kill democrats and still wants to.

He is a “dangerously stupid” chud and he will be back behind the wheel if he ever gets out.

Put him in a hole. Use him as an example.

If you use your car to kill protestors, be ready for murder 1 charges.

he is never gonna get out and he will almost certainly get either life imprison or death.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
it's probably not literally possible to be president of the United States and not have to do awful poo poo, as we are an awful country who only serves the interests of the rich and powerful. even FDR had to do incredibly lovely things.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

this is pages ago but Trump seriously wears glasses? I cannot recall seeing any picture pre or post election where this is the case and that is loving hilarious. Who the gently caress cares grandpa?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/AriFleischer/status/1070350900521263106

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

He was still "there", just not, you know, "alive."

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

theblackw0lf posted:

Well yea, it's apparent now that the Republican party is long past the point of having any good faith or intentions, and any negotiation would just be fruitless.

But there was a time where being able to get bipartisan support for meaningful change was a possibility.

:chloe:

we're talking about the party of nixon, newt gingrich, reagan, cheney, george w bush, george h. w. bush, karl rove, and more. they haven't had "good intentions" since well before I was born, and probably didn't have good intentions for even longer than that. And what makes you think the republicans have been good faith operators in decades if not a century?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

did you look in the box?

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
what is that tweet even trying to say. "really makes u think", but about politics?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Oh no, he is there! He's just got special seating accommodations because of his health condition. :v:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Condiv posted:

:chloe:

we're talking about the party of nixon, newt gingrich, reagan, cheney, george w bush, george h. w. bush, karl rove, and more. they haven't had "good intentions" since well before I was born, and probably didn't have good intentions for even longer than that. And what makes you think the republicans have been good faith operators in decades if not a century?

they haven't had good intentions since the 50s at best.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

Yeah, but you're making it sound like people thought it was possible in 2008.

Mitch McConnell made it clear that Republicans weren't going to work with Obama. I remember complaints in 2010 that Obama needed to stop with the bipartisan nonsense.

The "bipartisan" days probably died with Newt in 1994 and a lot of people knew that during Obama's first term. Idk why Obama stuck to it but it's actually bad that he did and not something deserving of praise.

e: not to mention that bipartisanship with the GOP is bad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he is never gonna get out and he will almost certainly get either life imprison or death.

you're right but don't act like this is a no-brainer, remember before this when BLM protests were taking off multiple still sitting lawmakers at state AND federal levels supported the idea of making it legal to do literally this to protesters on the road. The only saving grace here is the first real actionable national level test of 'should we let dipshits just do a murder if there's a protest hurting his feelings' happened to involve a white woman as the victim.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
I think one of the things we have to confront is that the Executive branch, and the government as a whole, is basically designed such that even an actual decent human being is probably going to come out the other end having done a lot of bad poo poo. The amount of power available for a President to wield in the foreign policy and military realms is massive, and the number of establishment voices calling for its use for this thing or that thing is similarly huge. Everything is basically designed to force the President to continue imperialistic interests while thinking they're accomplishing some small good as part of it.

Drone strikes, for example - with the benefit of distance from the office we can see that these are counterproductive, almost always cause mass casualties of civilians, are fundamentally anti-democratic, etc. But occupying the office, I think, changes the calculus, and not for the better. Instead, it's: "this terrorist is probably there, and we think he's planning something, and we think we can limit casualties if we strike at this time, and this is the tool we have for the job."

Same thing goes for trying to enforce "friendly" governments in Latin America, for example. It's not like that's a thing Obama ran on. But I'm sure it was presented up the chain to the State Department by the career guys that, you know, here's the consequences if we don't do this, there might be blowback but we can handle that, this is a job where you have Tough Decisions in front of you, etc. And so the Tough Decisions get made, and the consequences for those countries and their people never really get addressed, because there's another Tough Decision to be made. These decisions are, of course, always made in the passive voice, and the victims' suffering is always judged as Acceptable but vaguely regrettable, whether they are or not. (It is basically never acceptable, of course, but it is always judged in the world of government as though it is.)

This is neither to say that we should absolve Obama for the things he got very, very wrong (we shouldn't), nor that we shouldn't try to find a way to stop the use of drones and stop trying to topple governments just for what boils down to capital interests. But I think the problems go far beyond just trying to get the right person in the office. Obama wasn't up to the task of refusing to make Tough Decisions. He failed. But history seems to show that almost no President is. The real heavy lifting is to find a way to try to change the character of the Presidency and the Executive as a whole, rather than hoping we can find someone with the character to not use the tools shown to them. And that probably means getting Congress to take its own role seriously, for starters.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Condiv posted:

what does healing divisions even mean in this context? what is it you're hoping for with "healing divisions"?

there are divisions in this country for a very good reason. there are people that want to do terrible things. as long as those people exist and are trying to use our government to tear apart families, kill black people with impunity, make sure women have to give birth to rape babies and pay for rape kits, etc. then those divisions are good

Remember when a black man got arrested because his front door was jammed, and then Obama invited him and the arresting officer to the White House to have a beer together, and it was hailed as a breakthrough in racial reconciliation and a victory for unity & understanding?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

this is pages ago but Trump seriously wears glasses? I cannot recall seeing any picture pre or post election where this is the case and that is loving hilarious. Who the gently caress cares grandpa?

It would objectively make him look more presidential and less ridiculous.

Dude cannot stop self-owning with every fibre of his being.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/Bernstein/status/1070422286916874241?s=19

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
I don't know about you, but this is a hell of a deal. BRB gotta withdraw $750 from the bank.

https://twitter.com/Bernstein/status/1070422286916874241

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I'm the drinks with Milo(you're buying)

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

Remember when a black man got arrested because his front door was jammed, and then Obama invited him and the arresting officer to the White House to have a beer together, and it was hailed as a breakthrough in racial reconciliation and a victory for unity & understanding?

remember when he wore a tan suit and sean hannity lost his mind for days. what a world.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
A little bit curious what those ring/text tones say

Also why I have to pay $750 for a free pack of them

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Holy poo poo that's $750 PER MONTH!! :stare:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Eagerly awaiting the first President to be Trolled by Gritty.

Oxyclean posted:

Beyond the thing about the 1% being smaller then that, what the hell kind of line of arguing is this? I'm not going to be suddenly more sympathetic towards a group just because goons might be part of that group. Like there might be plenty of goons who have lived privileged lives, but it doesn't change the nature of the problems of privilege, and in this circumstance, the issues of wealth disparity on our society.

If you are a 1%er come thru like a g.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Remember when he's not the loving President anymore so who gives a poo poo?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/BetoORourke/status/1070401011767013377

Yeah, he’s running.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Your Taint posted:

Holy poo poo that's $750 PER MONTH!! :stare:

Dude's got legal bills to pay.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

He criticized the quality of football in this game during the campaign.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Your Taint posted:

I don't know about you, but this is a hell of a deal. BRB gotta withdraw $750 from the bank.

https://twitter.com/Bernstein/status/1070422286916874241

For the low low price of $750 I will record a personalized video calling you a white devil!!!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

remember when he wore a tan suit and sean hannity lost his mind for days. what a world.

The spicy dijon thing was still the best because it showed how amazing a Grey Poupon ad campaign from thirty years ago was that people thought that was some highfalutin rich folks only condiment and not a mass produced ~$3 thing you can buy in any supermarket like ketchup or whatever.

Like when the one limo pulls up to the other and the guy asks the neighboring driver if they have any grey poupon, folks literally thought that was live footage.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Fraction Jackson posted:

I think one of the things we have to confront is that the Executive branch, and the government as a whole, is basically designed such that even an actual decent human being is probably going to come out the other end having done a lot of bad poo poo.
Maybe the United States... is bad?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

It wouldn’t surprise me if he ran, but he’s also exactly the Dem Texas needs right now. Elected official or not he is still motivating the party in the state. With any luck he’ll continue to do so for years to come.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean, even i still believe in the principles, even if america doesn't and never has. I just believe we can't trust the other side to do the right thing so gently caress them. because what the gently caress is left if you abandon the lie.

I'm at this point myself. I realize a lot of it is smoke and mirrors and a sham, but the ideals and principles are there, even if we have never truly lived up to them. I always felt like the USA was becoming a better country gradually throughout my lifetime, at least a little.

When Trump and this abomination of the GOP took over everything, that hope faded. I think a lot of Americans can't live with the idea that it's all a lie, so we delude ourselves into thinking otherwise.

Because like you said, when you know all of it is a lie, what is left? If we can hope to actually start living up to the ideals in some near future, isn't that all we have? :smith:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

He really wanted to get bipartisan support for meaningful change to social security

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Retro42 posted:

It wouldn’t surprise me if he ran, but he’s also exactly the Dem Texas needs right now. Elected official or not he is still motivating the party in the state. With any luck he’ll continue to do so for years to come.

He’s not beating Cornyn.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Condiv posted:

i don't disagree with any of this, but I still think obama should have tried. trying and failing is better than not trying imo

i'm not sure that obamacare was a middle step we actually needed. it's certainly better than the status quo, but it wasn't enough back when it was passed, and there's resistance to moving beyond it cause "we just passed ppaca! it just needs a few tweaks and it will work perfectly!"

You could be right about this. I don't know.

My opinion is that Obamacare showed a lot of conservative, underclass Americans that they could improve their quality of life with medicine. They are still massive, racist jerks and have been kicking and screaming about Obamacare ever since but just the idea that the government take care of its people has taken hold to the point where right-wing politicians have begun actively telling 180 degree, bald lies to their constituents to the effect of, 'we're going to get you healthcare!' I think some in the centrist camp warmed to the idea too, though that might be because the PPACA actively propped up medical and insurance companies.

It's often hard to tell because the ideological battle our people are facing is often different than the ideological battle our government is performing.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1070427101445140492

An Op-Ed in the WaPo that eventually argues that we need to legalize heroin to solve the opioid epidemic :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

The Glumslinger posted:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1070427101445140492

An Op-Ed in the WaPo that eventually argues that we need to legalize heroin to solve the opioid epidemic :psyduck:

What could possibly go wrong?